2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Cyber_Renaissance

What made you fall in love with this game?

Algonquin Assassin

The chemistry between Faustin and Dimitri is truly something to behold. You get a sense of proper history between the two even though it’s relatively short lived.

I guess that’s the power of GTA IV’s impeccable writing.

Am Shaegar

The thing I love about IV is the living, breathing feel, full of secrets to explore around many streets and corners of the Liberty city - giving off that strong vibe of life, gritty feel, in a virtual experience. Rockstar seems to have really spend so much time in putting all the details in the city, really very immersive experience if you don't want to engage in anything else other than simply exploring the world. Really nice!

Yinepi

To me it was not really about the game play but more about the inner workings of the game and its details and general design. It was, and still is, one of the most alive feeling games. The city feels like it could actually be a real city in its own right.

The ragdoll is superb and still manages to surpass its successor. The minor actors that spawn on the street give a sense of belief that they have a life of their own. They can be heard talking on the cell phone, or seen riding in the back of a cab, or seen buying hotdogs. When walking around I feel like I'm actually a part of the city and its history. GTAIV ultimately did immersion better than any other GTA.

GTAIV focused on doing a few specific things right instead of trying to do everything half-ass. It feels like a true successor to GTA1, GTA2, and GTAIII in that it may have been limited in its content, but what content it did have, had their mechanics integrated quite well into the game design.

Edited by Yinepi

JON22

The player created mayhem in multiplayer, and the fact nobody gives a sh*t if you crash into someone or kill them when messing about. Also just things like this:

8GpqPhu.gif

While in GTA 5 everyone cares about their epeen and K/D. And horn honking is punishable by death.

rampage08

I loved planning the missions. You must act smart otherwise you have to cope with 161515 man shooting you before the main target.

Everytime I ask myself how to approach my target. Looking different ways to avoid unnecessary gunfights, checking windows if breakable or not, killing some of the guys with snipers, shooting tires of suspicious cars, blocking back exits of the some buildings etc

I miss those days.

Puerto Rican Connection has several approachable ways to deal with the target, i love that. You could just shoot the target right at the station, you could shoot them up when they were all in the car on the way or you could just blast them when they are all stopping at their destination.

Algonquin Assassin

GTAIV focused on doing a few specific things right instead of trying to do everything half-ass. It feels like a true successor to GTA1, GTA2, and GTAIII in that it may have been limited in its content, but what content it did have, had their mechanics integrated quite well into the game design.

That's pretty much how I feel too. GTA IV doesn't try to be the jack of all trades, but what it does have is as you said well integrated into its game design.

Payne Killer

Living city and all that sh*t but mostly the characters/gameplay and the music.

"I've been through so much that I'm such a maniac, but I still act out of faith."

Best games ever

bantonson15

The Soundtrack of IV was incredible 👌

Edited by bantonson15

DetectivePhelps

Not sure.

But, if its GTA, Im in.

Great story, do what the hell you want. At this point cheat codes, in which is the best of most GTA games, most not all because I havent played all.

I love it!

Boozey St James

Bernie Crane!

Algonquin Assassin

I don’t think I’ve mentioned this. Well not in this thread anyway, but because Liberty City is so much like the real NYC whenever I watch a movie, tv show etc set in that city the countless hours playing GTA IV let’s me recognise major landmarks even when I’ve never been to NYC in my life.

Hands down it is the best recreation of NYC in a video game. Where most on focus on Manhattan GTA IV goes one step further by including all the major boroughs.

Seriously it’s that amazing and memorable I think I could stop playing GTA IV for a few years and come back to it without feeling like I ever left. R* really went above and beyond creating this beautiful, living metropolis.:)

TheOriginalGunslinger

The moment I got off the boat I was hooked. Driving to Roman's "so-called" mansion and getting that first taste of Hove Beach. The roaring sound of the subway train above you when it's passing by in Hove Beach is so awesome that I really feel like I'm in a living and breathing city. NPCs with actual cool dialogues instead of the same corny one or two liners (*looks at you GTA V*). Hotdog vendors actually being occupied with not just yourself but other NPCs grabbing a taste of Liberty City's finest mystery meat. You know that Boardwalk near the first bowling alley near Hove Beach? Man, I can walk around that area alone and take everything in. Way out in the distance are the amazing skyscrapers that fill Algonquin's skyline (especially at night when it lights up the nights sky).

Also, it's a pleasure booting up GTA IV. While the badass loading theme is playing you are thinking to yourself, "what adventure will I be getting into today in Liberty City?"

This cutscene alone is better than some of V's writing...

Wg-grand-theft-auto-iv-1-4.jpg

The conversation between Niko and Dimirti pulls you in.

Edited by Dexter_Morgan

BLADE_San_Andreas

Because when my cousin introduced me to GTA IV i was happy because Niko was from Serbia and thats pretty close to Croatia...

Dude i even remember when i used to record GTA IV funny moments in real life with my first phone, but i dont want to remember anything because it was so f*cking cringey

Then i got my PC and played it untill GTA V came out

Edited by BLADE_San_Andreas

Journey_95

The trailers already hooked me. Unlike other fans I really loved the more mature direction the series was going. The story seemed very interseting.

Then unlike many games, the actual game delivered fully for me. I think the first arc is what made me really love GTA IV. Niko's interesting conversations with Roman and Faustin's wife, him just killing Vlad like that to show that no one f*cks with his family, how human Faustin was compared to the other GTA bosses you worked with, Dimitri's surprising betrayal etc.

And from the gameplay side obviously how alive the city felt, how fun the physics were etc. it was truly a next gen experience back then and still holds up for the most part.

Still a very underrated game outside these forums, where GTA IV is often seen as the black sheep of the series

The moment I got off the boat I was hooked. Driving to Roman's "so-called" mansion and getting that first taste of Hove Beach. The roaring sound of the subway train above you when it's passing by in Hove Beach is so awesome that I really feel like I'm in a living and breathing city. NPCs with actual cool dialogues instead of the same corny one or two liners (*looks at you GTA V*). Hotdog vendors actually being occupied with not just yourself but other NPCs grabbing a taste of Liberty City's finest mystery meat. You know that Boardwalk near the first bowling alley near Hove Beach? Man, I can walk around that area alone and take everything in. Way out in the distance are the amazing skyscrapers that fill Algonquin's skyline (especially at night when it lights up the nights sky).

Also, it's a pleasure booting up GTA IV. While the badass loading theme is playing you are thinking to yourself, "what adventure will I be getting into today in Liberty City?"

This cutscene alone is better than some of V's writing...
Wg-grand-theft-auto-iv-1-4.jpg

The conversation between Niko and Dimirti pulls you in.

Not just some, that conversation alone has more depth than any in V. The Bury the Hatchet conversation might have come close but its ruined via cheap jokes because Rockstar thinks that their fans can't enjoy just one serious scene.

Edited by Journey_95

TheOriginalGunslinger

BbzCR3.gif

Niko telling Jimmy Pegorino how much of a fat f*cking joke he was to others on The Commission.

You actually feel like "You've Won!" (Achievement/Trophy) description when it popped up whether you wasted Jimmy or Dimitri unlike V's 3 washed up endings. Choice C "Deathwish" was a "joke" in V in my opinion. Tying up loose ends with a borefest ending of pushing a car off a cliff...

Edited by Dexter_Morgan

Cheatz/Trickz

About the endings, while i'll always maintain that Revenge is the one Niko would choose, I can still see how he might go for the Deal, narratively. Its a choice that you can actually mull over and weigh up.

But the V endings are just all out of sync, they require personality shifts in both Franklin and Michael to work.

Ertan Soner

Niko, going back to Liberty City and this: