2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Algonquin Assassin

Gaming trends you miss

Tech-Noir

Good box art and proper manuals will be missed.

The manuals going away I can deal with a bit, because tutorials replace them, but the box art these days is absolutely awful. You have fantastic ones like Doom's alternate art, but horrible lazy ones like...

MetalGearSolidVBoxArt.jpg

Horrible.

Static

8591074681_b4ca5e56c3_h.jpg

Top 5 alt cover right there. Reminds me of the Catcher in the Rye cover

Catcher%204.jpg

7RKDYhY_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Nuff said.

I think that most action/shooter games are getting especially boring and generic covers.

RetroMystic

I miss when games had content instead of every Triple A developer trying to make interactive movies

Leftist Bastard

I miss when games had content instead of every Triple A developer trying to make interactive movies

You do realize that the most popular games on the market right now are the sprawling 100 hours+ open world type, right? that they're actually saturating the industry, if nothing else?

Like, back in the day for most game being 25-30 hours was considered long as sh*t. That's considered short now a days - what you're saying has absolutely no basis in reality, what so ever.

Fu11Force

For me, I miss looking forward to new games. Overhyping aside, it's mainly due to knowing that the game will likely have DLCs, microtransactions, season passes, more money making schemes. This makes me want to wait a few years for a "game of the year" edition to come out so I could get everything all at once. The game will be cheaper by then anyways.

I just.. don't find any up and coming games appealing anymore.

Algonquin Assassin

Bumping my own thread here...

Does anyone else miss when pre-orders had an actual purpose? Before digital sales and online distribution it was basically the way I got every anticipated title to avoid disappointment if it was a game that was a hot seller.

Now I would struggle to find any reason to pre-order a game when there are so many different ways to buy. It may sound strange I'm basically complaining about convenience, but I miss that rush and doubt whether a new game would sell out and pre-ordering was the safe route.

Dr.Rosenthal

I second a lot of stuff others have already mentioned; scribbled cheat codes, the smell of physical copies, LAN parties, booklets with actual content...

Another thing, wouldn't say I miss it exactly, but I like reminiscing about it; dial-up matches in Q1 level DM6: The Dark Zone. Also, starting up games on the old C64, which would have us wait for ages to play, and it was always worth the wait lol

Commander S

Unlockable outfits and whatnot, often with tweaked abilities/strengths/weaknesses, that you earn by achieving certain things, and then let you change up the way you play.

And I don't mean 'oh, cool - I've earned enough to get ______ upgrade, so I can change how my rifle works' - I'm talking things like 'beat a level under specific conditions, to unlock the ______ costume that has extra ______ but doesn't let you use ______'.

The perfect example of this would be Neversoft's PS1 Spider-Man games - for instance, in the original, getting a high score on the web zip-line training activity would unlock the 'quick change' outfit (just Peter Parker shoving a Spider-Man mask over his civilian clothes), which only had a maximum of two web cartridges, adding a bit of extra challenge. Or collecting all the comicbook covers for the gallery, which gave you the Spider-Man 2099 outfit, with increased melee attack power.

Same goes for the bandana in Metal Gear Solid, or even daft visual things like the tuxedo - even Saints Row 2 sorta did something like that, by unlocking unusual weapon variants or different toggle-able abilities if you bother to complete all the various side activities. It's a really neat way of getting players to explore things beyond just zipping through the story, and/or encouraging different approaches to play (either to unlock things, or as a result of using them).

...and yeah, unlockable outfits are cool in general, as are outfit-specific special abilities. :colgate:

Laker23
5 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Bumping my own thread here...

Does anyone else miss when pre-orders had an actual purpose? Before digital sales and online distribution it was basically the way I got every anticipated title to avoid disappointment if it was a game that was a hot seller.

Now I would struggle to find any reason to pre-order a game when there are so many different ways to buy. It may sound strange I'm basically complaining about convenience, but I miss that rush and doubt whether a new game would sell out and pre-ordering was the safe route.

I still remember being completely paranoid about the store selling out of the old GTA's on their release days. Good times.

CrysisAverted
Posted (edited)

open betas

demos

singleplayer campaigns

free dlc

splitscreen

going online/creating an account without being pestered with all my personal info

little to no ads 

all the fugging game being there and not having to buy a bunch of stuff months after the fact to complete the product

glitches going unpatched

games having a larger scope, I don't mean graphics I mean older games allowed you to do a lot of inane things that weren't totally necessary but added to the immersion

free online

longer console cycles?

cheaper games

manuals

not completely empty game boxes barring the disk

simpler graphics meant less difficulty locating targets now everything is hd with glare and bloom its hard as f*ck to react to complex graphics compared to simpler graphics

quality control on devices was higher, I only had 2 controllers for my ps2 that I played all the time with, never needed any more because they never fell apart unlike my ps3 and ps4 controllers

putting the disk in and playing instead of putting the disk in, installing 50gbs, downloading 25gb update, installing 25gb update, installing all additional updates, loading up the game, its multiplayer only and the servers are dead

Edited by CrysisAverted

Nutduster

Don't forget: when gamers enjoyed playing games instead of just whining about them.  ;)

(Which is a bit rich considering my dissatisfaction with many aspects of GTA Online, of course.)