1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Steezy.

Which GTA had the best driving mechanics?

skyeyemx

I say GTA IV's physics but with realistic suspensions stiffness is the sweet spot. It has the realism of GTA IV's grip level, without the iconic "boatiness" of the cars (especially the Cavalcade, which leans almost 20 degrees in some cases).

For those who haven't tried a stiffer suspension mod for IV, I highly recommend it. Here is the mod which I used. It lowers cars' centre of mass to more realistic levels to artificially reduce body roll and sway, without touching any ther statistic.

B Dawg
Posted (edited)

Seems kind of lazy though as he gave 95% of the cars the exact same Z Center Of Mass value (-0.35)

IMO someone should take the Center Of Mass values from Killatomate's Realistic Driving mod and apply it to the base handling. Those seem a lot more reasonable.

Edited by B Dawg

Lock n' Stock
Posted (edited)

It's hard to say, though as far as realism goes, GTA IV defintely wins by a mile. My only problem is the exagerated body-roll and the off-center camera, but it's some of the best driving in the series to date. I was also quite found of VC's arcade driving. I'd say that V feels sort of like a blend between the 3D Era and IV, and as stupid as it was I liked the ability to control the car in mid-air.

The worst? Funnily enough, I'd say SA, at least for cars. I always felt like the handling was less responsive than other 3D Universe games, especially III and Vice City. I also hated how running over pedestrians slowed you down like you were hitting obsticles. For motorcycles however, I would easily say without a doubt that V takes the cake. Can barely pull off wheelies and powerslides, and the wheels feel like they're constantly stuck to the ground. Total sh*t and a MASSIVE downgrade from IV in every way.

Edited by Lock n' Stock

B Dawg

San Andreas, the worst? Lmao. No way. If anything, SA would be 2nd best overall. Vice City's driving is far too simplistic.

Ertan Soner

I think it is either 4 or 5. 

GrudgefromSanAndreas

Best and most fun must be SA, worst and simplest probably VC/III, least realistic V, pseudo-realistic IV, and, believe it or not, most stable 2. Indeed in the best top-down GTA your route is being automatically corrected while you drive on road, you just position yourself and drive straight left, right, up and down

SanLiberty
On 11/24/2017 at 7:05 PM, Am Shaegar said:

This is why the driving in GTA IV isn't as good as it should have been. It was just badly implemented. Even worse are the bike physics.

Unfortunately, instead of taking the criticisms in the right spirit, the players are being blame for not knowing how to drive because it's challenging, and all, instead of blaming the developers for not implementing the driving mechanics correctly, without making the whole experience frustrating, and less enjoyable.

So, if I have to choose between the driving mechanics trying to resemble the realistic experience as close as possible, but unfortunately, badly implemented, versus the driving mechanics that is fun, and accessible, but not close to a realistic experience, then I'd certainly choose the latter for the simple reason that it's less frustrating, and I can enjoy driving without any troubles.

My choice is GTA SA for the best mechanics for the perfect mix of both realistic and arcade experience, without any serious issues.

Yeah, everything is the best in GTA SA. No jetpacks in GTA IV? Ok then, f*ck that game! GTA SA wins! *sarcasm* Seriously, you really have to choose GTA SA for everything? 

SanLiberty
Just now, Am Shaegar said:

Because its the best in nearly every aspect of what makes me enjoy the GTA franchise. 

Of course.

Asisvénia

Absolutely IV. It is very clear that, R* devs have spent so much time for the technical stuff on the IV. Not just driving but also car damage models were exciting, but in the V they didn't even care about those mechanics.

Edited by Asisvénia
*repeating words

ChengizVlad09

I sat down and I wrote 7 freakin' pages of text in Word, analizing everything that Grand Theft Auto has to offer in regards to the Driving Mechanics. Yeah 7 freakin' pages, I'm affraid how that may actually look posted. I have serious doubts whether to post it or not, I mean who would bother reading all that? 

Nevertheless, devil is strong in this one and I will definitely put this up sometimes soon, as some kind of legacy to the opinion I have. Totally lame, I agree.

But, I'm even willing to make a video by doing what I find are the clear advantages of the driving mechanics of the game that offers best driving experience challenging everybody to do the same in order to prove me wrong. After all video is worth 1000 pages of Word text.

Phaston

Grand Theft Auto IV had the best driving physics and mechanics , especially it was so realistic and revolutionary .

I also think that (prepare yourselves) GTA Advance had some interesting and good driving mechanics : how you could actually flip partially and completely vehicles (especially Yankee trucks) was sometimes annoying but also incredible if you think this was on the GBA !

Evil empire

To develp a bit about my previous post GTA Vice City is the only episode where I have pleasure competing in all the car races.

The other episodes I played are 3 and San Andreas by the way.

ChengizVlad09

San Andreas easily. I won't go into what anyone consider to be fun, that's subjective, but looking at things strictly from the technical point of view, it has the most complete driving mechanics. Maybe (x to doubt) IV and V can bring fun driving experience, but it won't be because of their driving mechanics and physics definitely.

Driving mechanics of IV is so broken you'll have fun laughing at it, and in V, you'll have fun going full speed through the air jumping off the mount Chiliad, which is flying not driving.

Just one simple fact, and it's simply that, a fact - please prove me wrong - neither IV or V has the driving mechanics that can produce anything that even remotely resemblance drifting - one of the most entertaining aspects of driving. You would think that's possible in IV because of its wobbly physics, but no.  Maybe something that looks like power sliding - which almost always gets you to a full stop when you try to execute it - it's like physics always consider you wanted to quit continuing going forwards. In V you literally have to GLITCH the game in order to do so. To glitch out the f'cking game.

Another major problem with both of them is that their physics renders almost all car classes the same. It's like Rockstar couldn't be bothered to include different stats for different classes and cars - except top speed and acc. In IV they are all completelly wobbly bricks that almost cannot execute even the simplest of turns without heavily understeering, yet in V they steer so well you'll find yourself oversteering so much as if you wanted to make a turn to go back. It's ridiculous.

Main difference between them would be that heavy, over the top exaggerated, unnecessary wobbly mechanics has been simply changed for its extreme, its opposite. Same problem, different perspective, it is insulting. 

The main problem I have with driving mechanics of those games is actually not tied directly to it, but to Rockstar. I can bet, last time they devoted their attention to driving mechanics was either in 2004 or 2008. I know they've done a good job in '04, and horrible one in '08 and it is insulting to hear they spent 265 mil on the makings of GTA V, because driving mechanics of V is nothing but driving mechanics of IV with its deformed balls cut off. Amazing 1 dollar physics that left us with whatever was left hanging from above those cut off deformed balls. 

Edited by ChengizVlad09

B Dawg
22 hours ago, ChengizVlad09 said:

Just one simple fact, and it's simply that, a fact - please prove me wrong - neither IV or V has the driving mechanics that can produce anything that even remotely resemblance drifting - one of the most entertaining aspects of driving. You would think that's possible in IV because of its wobbly physics, but no.  Maybe something that looks like power sliding - which almost always gets you to a full stop when you try to execute it - it's like physics always consider you wanted to quit continuing going forwards. In V you literally have to GLITCH the game in order to do so. To glitch out the f'cking game.

That's the result of Dumbstar adding forced driving assists to both games. Didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of IV's driving, but it would have been even more awesome without them.

Edited by B Dawg

ChengizVlad09

@B DawgI can totally see where you are coming from and it's beyond me why in the hell would they do that?

What's next, they'll decide that driving cars is unnecessary? I really wouldn't be surprised seeing them at least attempting to do that, just to see if they can go under the radar with least amount of work invested, hell just take a look at Bethesda trying their luck with Fallout 76, lol no story in Fallout game? Pedestrians? Who needs that $hit? Nothing would surprise me at this point.

I don't know, driving and everything related to it, secondary things like customization for example, represents huge chunk of gameplay and it is sad that it is so clear, so evident, that almost nothing is being invested in that area, what's more, it is being taken way, it is being dumbed down.

Edit; lol just to add something a bit unrelated, but hopefuly still to the point, it is now almost simptomatic to see Rockstar's games being heavily criticized after the initial hype dyes down, a bunch of things related to them is simply not a trait of a masterpiece, hell some of them are straight indie games characteristics.

Edited by ChengizVlad09

B Dawg
On 12/5/2018 at 1:46 PM, ChengizVlad09 said:

I sat down and I wrote 7 freakin' pages of text in Word, analizing everything that Grand Theft Auto has to offer in regards to the Driving Mechanics. Yeah 7 freakin' pages, I'm affraid how that may actually look posted. I have serious doubts whether to post it or not, I mean who would bother reading all that?

7 pages? Woah. It would be quite an interesting read. Reminds me of Grievous who used to post massive walls of text in the TLAD section a few years ago.

The GTA V criticism on my profile where it is compared to SA and IV is only 3 and a half pages worth.

Edited by B Dawg

ChengizVlad09

I was only trying to keep it " technical " and to keep it related to driving mechanics and physics, not he entire driving experience and everything that comes along with it; auxiliary things like customization or not to mention what I thought it could be done in regards to it all Anyway It's the quality not the quantity (like shuffling cars in V :) ) that makes it count, but needless to say I couldn't control my frustration with IV and V so it could seem biased, so probably I'll skip posting it no matter how good might it - which I doubt, I even try to sound funny, lol lame. Anyway, I'll be sure to check out and to read your thoughts on the matter and no doubt there'll be opposing opinions, but it's the shared ones that could be interesting, cheers! :) 

Grotti Vigilante

For me GTA V had the best mechanics. It didn’t feel as boaty as IV nor as arcadey as the 3D era. It isn’t easy but it’s what I lean more towards. Flying wise GTA V has it best since it’s more advanced and better perfected since San Andreas. I mean I’ve been flying for years in GTA and so I can do very well in any game.

Worst? GTA III no doubt. Every high speed collision flips your car in some way or another and everything just feels so dangerous that you almost want to avoid crashing in case you get flipped. I once saw a video on YouTube where someone made a compilation of GTA III flips and they were just so ridiculous sometimes.

Edited by Grotti Vigilante

iiCriminnaaL 49
14 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

nor as arcadey as the 3D era.

Can't say I agree about this.

Grotti Vigilante
37 minutes ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Can't say I agree about this.

Been out of it for a while even. Just going by what I remember.

GrudgefromSanAndreas
10 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

nor as arcadey as the 3D era

dude all cars in V have a too sharp turning radius, especially at 30-50 mph like some kind of fzr2000 wannabes

Grotti Vigilante

Okay I think I should clarify for future posters seeing my original answer. I am going by what I remember and I have been out of playing the games for a while due to other commitments such as Red Dead Redemption II, having only played San Andreas and V in recent times and not often close together. As such I could well be wrong, but unsure. 

universetwisters

Most of the III era’s driving mechanics I liked.

IV’s I didn’t care for because every car handled like a boat (there’s no reason for a Honda CRX to be leaning that bad at a 10mph turn) and V’s I didn’t care for either because none of the cars had suspensions