2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Steezy.

Which GTA had the best driving mechanics?

Steezy.

As the title says, which game had the best driving and why?

Which one had the worst?

In my opinion, I think IV had the best driving. At first it was hard for me but as I played more and more I started to get the hang of it, being able to drive at fast speed without ever crashing. I think it's the most realistic compared to the others.

The worst to me would be III. Although I think it was purposely done that way as to provide a challenge to players, cars are really easy to be blown up (especially towards the end of the game) and the ambulances and trucks tip over so easily, making the ambulance side mission very hard if you're not careful.

Bonus: SA had the worst flying mechanics, I was stuck on Torino's flying missions for MONTHS

IndogamersPro

For me, GTA San Andreas and GTA Vice City have great arcade-style driving mechanics.

But GTA IV wins for realism and GTA V sucks to keep both the arcade-style and realism.

GTA San Andreas flying mechanism isn't that bad, unless you're piloting a helicopter. Both GTA IV and V have a great helicopter mechanism

GTA San Andreas have great boating mechanism, GTA IV and GTA V didn't really do what GTA San Andreas does.

GTA San Andreas RC Flying mechanism is hell another different level, worst driving/piloting section ever in Video games history.

I stuck at Supply Lines forever and i usually skip that damn mission and focus more on storyline mission

B Dawg

Best: IV, no doubt

Worst: It's a tie between Vice City and V for Cars, but V has without a doubt the worst motorcycle driving mechanics.

Edited by B Dawg

Evil empire

Driving is very pleasant in GTA Vice City and San Andreas brings at terrible regression.

Femme Fatale

Obviously IV.

jaljax

Gta IV for realiism, but i also thought Vice City Stories made a little better improvement for the last 3D game.

Algonquin Assassin

Probably going to sound like a broken record, but GTA IV easily. I don't even think it's that realistic to be honest. Just a great compromise being arcade and simulation. Simcade?

The 3D era feels too slot car like and GTA V whilst not exceptionally bad and better than other open world games just feels like the balance GTA IV had was lost in favour of more "racing" like physics like Midnight Club.

Emo_Amz

For me it was San Andreas, it's so much fun. IV ruined that for me, trying to be 'realistic' but it really wasn't. V was a return almost to the 3D era but still wan't quiet there I don't think.

Tycek

The best

-GTA IV in the HD era as it was great mix of arcade and simulation types of driving physics, giving a lot of fun just driving aimlessly around

-GTA: VCS the best physics in III era.

The worst

-GTA III, while not exactly bad for 2001, driving was a bit too slidey, which in combination with low durability of the cars was a bit annoying.

Pedinhuh

Cars = IV(TBoGT in specific);

Motorcycles = San Andreas;

Boats = V;

Aircrafts = V(though the constant turbulence is annyoing);

MrPeteyMax

IV is superb for driving. I quite like San Andreas but that's usually when I play with framelimiter off. When you turn it off they get a bit slidey.

Edited by MrPeteyMax

Big_Smiley

IV big time. Driving bikes never felt so good in TLAD. Just feels grate passing on different bridges on a zombie listening to classic rock :^:

Nathan T.

For me, GTA IV. I really like its driving mechanics.
Now the worst is GTA Vice City, it's very easy and fast turning a car and this is very bad.
That's the reason why I want to play GTA IV on my PC yet.

Timcatgt5

Still playing GTA IV to this day simply because the driving mechanics is just too good. Feels realistic and requires some skill to take corners with accuracy and speed.

GTA San Andreas is good for arcade type mechanics. There's nothing wrong with driving an FCR-900 or an Infernus past a busy road and avoiding collisions.

ClaudeIzABadAzz

Is that even a question?

IV.

Matrelith

V for me. Driving feels slick and responsive, just the way I like it.

Going against the stream here, but I've been replaying IV these last few weeks and I forgot how horrendeous the driving was compared to V. Sure it feels more realistic, but with that it's also slower and heavier. Making a sharp turn for example will turn into the car slipping out of control nine out of ten times. And don't get me started on the bike mechanics. It feels like Niko covers himself in butter every time he hops on a bike, he slips off so easy.

Am Shaegar

Going against the stream here, but I've been replaying IV these last few weeks and I forgot how horrendeous the driving was compared to V. Sure it feels more realistic, but with that it's also slower and heavier. Making a sharp turn for example will turn into the car slipping out of control nine out of ten times. And don't get me started on the bike mechanics. It feels like Niko covers himself in butter every time he hops on a bike, he slips off so easy.

This is why the driving in GTA IV isn't as good as it should have been. It was just badly implemented. Even worse are the bike physics.

Unfortunately, instead of taking the criticisms in the right spirit, the players are being blame for not knowing how to drive because it's challenging, and all, instead of blaming the developers for not implementing the driving mechanics correctly, without making the whole experience frustrating, and less enjoyable.

So, if I have to choose between the driving mechanics trying to resemble the realistic experience as close as possible, but unfortunately, badly implemented, versus the driving mechanics that is fun, and accessible, but not close to a realistic experience, then I'd certainly choose the latter for the simple reason that it's less frustrating, and I can enjoy driving without any troubles.

My choice is GTA SA for the best mechanics for the perfect mix of both realistic and arcade experience, without any serious issues.

Algonquin Assassin

This is why the driving in GTA IV isn't as good as it should have been. It was just badly implemented. Even worse are the bike physics.

Unfortunately, instead of taking the criticisms in the right spirit, the players are being blame for not knowing how to drive because it's challenging, and all, instead of blaming the developers for not implementing the driving mechanics correctly, without making the whole experience frustrating, and less enjoyable.

So, if I have to choose between the driving mechanics trying to resemble the realistic experience as close as possible, but unfortunately, badly implemented, versus the driving mechanics that is fun, and accessible, but not close to a realistic experience, then I'd certainly choose the latter for the simple reason that it's less frustrating, and I can enjoy driving without any troubles.

My choice is GTA SA for the best mechanics for the perfect mix of both realistic and arcade experience, without any serious issues.

I guess you could write the programmers an angry letter telling them how to implement the physics. You sound like such an armchair expert.

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

TommyPayne123

IV has the most fun physics and driving out of any GTA game ever made for me. Unless GTA VI brings back the physics of GTA IV, I'll likely never change my mind.

iiCriminnaaL 49

IMO: GTA IV, no doubt.

Johnny Spaz

IV, DUHHHHHHHHHH. 

MARKUS.

GTA London 1969

forget about it, you know it really well... IV

Asmodo

Best - V (Nice and smooth controls and the braking/handbrake is just perfect to slide around corners)

Worst - IV (most sluggish, slow, and boring driving mechanics of any game I've ever played. It's like driving a log around)

Utopianthumbs

This is probably because I've spent the most time in this game but I actually preferred San andreas' driving. It felt like a big step up from its predecessors and while the newer games were good, SA's driving felt the most comfy . The handling felt just right imo, not too arcadey, not too much in the other extreme as well, just comfortable enough for a video game. 

X-Vector

GTA IV, especially with Killatomate's Realistic Driving and Flying mod.

TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

Best-V it sucks that it didn't have nitrous though

Worst-IV 

Pretending to be realistic and failing miserably. Last I checked cars weren't butter on 4 wheels with OverExaggerated suspension. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Yinepi
Posted (edited)

GTAIV is the best, and GTAV is the worst.

Edited by Yinepi

Rafae

I think GTAV strikes the perfect balance between arcadey and realistic. Every single car feels different to drive.

Tycek

We had to play different game then, because there is absolutely no difference in driving SUV or Supercar. And if you can drive a Supercar all the way up to the top of Mount Chilliad it clearly shows that something is not exactly right.

TheSantader25
34 minutes ago, Tycek said:

We had to play different game then, because there is absolutely no difference in driving SUV or Supercar. And if you can drive a Supercar all the way up to the top of Mount Chilliad it clearly shows that something is not exactly right.

At least there is a difference between driving a super car and a muscle car unlike IV