4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Is Toni a good protagonist?

El Penguin Bobo

Nappy

I think he is good aside from his interactions with his mother. I like that he doesn’t talk much but gets the job done.

On 4/17/2020 at 5:04 AM, SonOfLiberty said:

Infact I would've preferred if 8 Ball was the protagonist in LCS. 

but his hands were messed up

Edited by Payne
changed a word, spelling
  • Like 1
  • KEKW 1
iiCriminnaaL
3 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

Infact I would've preferred if 8 Ball was the protagonist in LCS. 

I guess Catalina could work too IMO. Would've been interesting to see how she worked her way up to high ranks and positions in the Colombian cartel. With her GTA III personality of course, and not that annoying attitude in San Andreas.

• Like 2
Ahmedmfroezspeed
On 4/17/2020 at 7:20 AM, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

I guess Catalina could work too IMO. Would've been interesting to see how she worked her way up to high ranks and positions in the Colombian cartel. With her GTA III personality of course, and not that annoying attitude in San Andreas.

you know having a female protagonist outside GTA Online is impossible,right ?

iiCriminnaaL
8 hours ago, Ahmedmfroezspeed said:

you know having a female protagonist outside GTA Online is impossible,right ?

Depends on how R* implements it. That's why I brought up Catalina, because she is among the characters I believe could work as protagonists if it was implemented properly (although they might still lack in certain areas, like strength in fist combat I guess).

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
Niobium

i liked the part where toni told vincenzo to f*ck off and trashed his car. if only vincenzo was the main antagonist, i believe it would strengthen toni's character

• Like 1
KingAJ032304

Me personally? I can't really get into GTA LCS. The game, the story, the features, the characters, the protagonist. It all just shouts out nothing new. It's pretty unremarkable.

• Like 2
iiCriminnaaL
44 minutes ago, Niobium said:

i liked the part where toni told vincenzo to f*ck off and trashed his car. if only vincenzo was the main antagonist, i believe it would strengthen toni's character

Or better yet, the main protagonist. At least we would've gotten a protagonist that isn't bland, robotic or too much of a lapdog.

Edited by iiCriminnaaL 49
Niobium
2 minutes ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

Or better yet, the main protagonist. At least we would've gotten a protagonist that isn't bland, robotic or too much of a lapdog.

vincenzo was an asshole, i have no desire to play as him. he's a great villain. it's a shame the main antagonist is so forgettable

• Like 3
El Penguin Bobo

Who was the main antagonist? I literally forgot. Was it Massimo Torini or something? 

I really feel like Vincenzo was supposed to be the main antagonist, and he was a damn good one too, but he got killed off way too quick.

• Like 4
Dustin Gaming

i hate him as i was a little donald love really planned to kill avery then after that i got to hate toni

Copcaller

He's alright although as another user on this forum pointed out lcs felt like Sals story for real and Toni is just the satellite the only character interaction I found interesting was him and kazuki kasens wife. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't really like him. He's just a robot who follows orders, and he really has no personality.

I like him in III though. At least he was someone.

LeatherJacketSoldier

Toni IS a good protagonist, but many of the murders he committed... I don't know, dudes, but I think they were pretty unnecessary. I'll list them here (I might be forgetting about some because it's been a long time since I played it):

. Dan Sucho: Ma Cipriani tells he respects his mother, but Toni's father would beat him in a race and then kill him. Why??? Sucho didn't harm or insult anyone, as far as I remember. So, his death was unnecessary.

. J. D. O'Toole: though a ridiculous and funny one, he was a good character, I don't think he had the proper personality to join the Leone Family as a gangster, but could have been a very useful friend, since being in a bar all day provides him with useful information, like Kent Paul in Vice City. He definitely didn't look like he was going to betray Leone Family too, given the statements he said about it and never complaining on their behavior towards him. Then, killing him to avoid any potential betrayal was absolutely unnecessary.

. Celebrities from "False Idols": Toni should have realized that something was wrong with the job Ned Burner was giving him. Even the coldest criminal in Earth would know that refusing a newspaper interview isn't anything God himself would be angry for. But Toni carries on and murders the three celebrities, instead of realizing there isn't any logical reason to do so: a real reverend, as evil as he could be, wouldn't pay Toni for doing a job like that, so money motivation wasn't an option. For these reasons, all three deaths were unnecessary.

. Toshiko Kasen: it was evident she was going to commit suicide. I'm pretty sure Toni was in love with her, otherwise he wouldn't deal with a woman married to the Yakuza leader (given the respect he shows when Maria Latore tries to make a move on him, and Toni refuses to give up his loyalty to Salvatore) because he would know that doing so would end in a war between Leone's and Yakuza's. So, he was in love with Toshiko, and had plenty of time to grab her before she drops off the window, or even convince her better of the trash kind of person his husband was and that she could begin a completely new life with Toni (eventually accepting he is a mobster and that probably he'll be a mobster 'til he dies). But no. He stood still watching how Toshiko was giving him clear hints of her suicidal intentions, and didn't do a thing, apart from running to the window and almost crying in pain when it was too late. He didn't exactly murder her, but he didn't do anything to stop her. Her death was unnecessary.

. Hundreds of people in the Fort Staunton areas, during "Bringing the House Down": Toni knew Love was a nutter and that he even blamed Toni of his loss at the elections. But Toni, perhaps with his heart broken by Toshiko's demise (thus he might have been a little out of his mind), bombs all of Fort Staunton killing hundreds of pedestrians on the process, maybe impulsed by destroying the last memory remaining of Toshiko so he can forget her forever: the opera house. Still, Love convinced him to do the bombing, and even made him pay the bombs costs; Toni should have ignored him at all and leave him in the streets for being so ungrateful and arrogant, and mainly because he wouldn't gain much of a profit by bombing Fort Staunton (he gets only $5000, which is a very low sum of money given the mission is one of the lattest and as such it doesn't match the rewards present in other GTA games in their latter parts). All the deaths here were very unnecessary.

Well, these are all the unnecessary murders I remember, but returning to the character, Toni is my third favourite from the 3D Era (the first being Tommy Vercetti and the second being Carl Johnson). And, unlike Carl Johnson, he has a marked personality, as the "tough man". The reason CJ is in my second place instead of Toni, is because CJ is capable of doing jobs on his own (just receiving a briefing on the situation and handling it without any more instructions given by other characters), recurring to his creativity to accomplish his goals (Deconstruction, Toreno's Last Flight, etc.). Aside from that, Cipriani is among the best protagonists of the 3D Era.

Edited by LeatherJacketSoldier