1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

SprinklesMcFartza

RDR2 Enhanced for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro?

Doktor_Ka78
13 hours ago, Flannelmagic1 said:

I currently have a normal xbox one and a TV that does not support 4k. I really want the best possible experience for RDR 2, haven't been this hyped for a game in over 10 years, but it is a huge investment and I'm really not sure if it is worth it. Also none of us obviously knows how big the difference is going to be yet either. 

Get a TV with decent HDR. Biggest game changer for me in the last decade speaking of graphical fidelity. You look for a panel that is capable of 1000 nits (brightness) and an input lag of around 20ms. There are some affordable LEDs with these specs. If money isn't a thing than a OLED for sure. I recommend rtings.com for more detailled information about TVs.

PS4 Pro or X1X is up to you. They have their pros and cons. I for one cannot tell the difference between 1800p and native 4K but very much if a frame rate is stable or not. We will have to wait and see how both versions will perform.

For the best possible gaming experience you should always lock the door, use headphones and mute your mobile ;)

NYC PATROL
6 hours ago, DGSimo said:

Thanks! 

Original Light

I have a question that may have already been asked. I’ve been thinking about upgrading from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro. I don’t have a 4K TV. Would I notice any improvement other than resolution and clarity? Is it plausible that Rockstar is increasing draw distance and using HD textures on the advanced version? If the only improvement is the resolution I may hold off. 

Im2akillerfish
9 minutes ago, Original Light said:

I have a question that may have already been asked. I’ve been thinking about upgrading from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro. I don’t have a 4K TV. Would I notice any improvement other than resolution and clarity? Is it plausible that Rockstar is increasing draw distance and using HD textures on the advanced version? If the only improvement is the resolution I may hold off. 

The PS4 Pro has a mode that improves antialiasing on TVs below 4K, but the effect isn't that great.

It's likely that the game will use PS4 Pro's extra hardware for improved draw distance and performance boosts, but the details are still unknown. 

So if I were you, I'd keep my money for now, at least until we know more. 

NYC PATROL
On 9/21/2018 at 6:54 PM, Ash_735 said:

What is your TV? If 4k, then Yes, If not, ask yourself if improved AA is worth that much.

Since the other thread got locked that I asked in. What evidence do we have that ps4 pro might have a lower AF? Also I'm not too familiar with AF levels in other open world games on pro. I wonder for example what Far Cry 5's was.

Edited by NYC PATROL

Ash_735
2 minutes ago, NYC PATROL said:

Since the other thread got locked that I asked in. What evidence do we have that ps4 pro might have a lower AF? Also I'm not too familiar with AF levels in other open world games on pro. 

Since its not a free overhead like it is on Xbox One X, most open world games settle on 4 to 8x AF on PS4 / Pro. 

Games like Horizon and such, GTAV on PS4 (since no pro patch) only has 4xAF.

Pocket Fox
On 9/26/2018 at 2:25 AM, SAS_Intruder said:

Reason why I was thinking of getting Pro is because I am little bit limited with 500GB. Plus, if there are any performance improvments, that's a bonus. However,  if PS5 is coming out in a year or so, then getting PS4 Pro doesn't make much sense.

If HDD space is an issue you can connect an external hard drive to your system.

I plug a WD 1tb Passport Drive (USB3.0) into my X1 and oddly enough, I would swear load times for games on that drive are a few seconds faster than what they were on the internal HDD.

Chinese Takeout
19 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

If HDD space is an issue you can connect an external hard drive to your system.

I plug a WD 1tb Passport Drive (USB3.0) into my X1 and oddly enough, I would swear load times for games on that drive are a few seconds faster than what they were on the internal HDD.

That's not odd at all. For those of us that work with large video and other media for a living, it's standard operating procedure to access and edit your media from a high-speed hdd OTHER than the drive on which the operating system resides. This can be a separate, internal HDD or SSD, or it can be external. Hosting media on the same drive as the OS will always create a bottleneck. 😉

Ash_735

Plus the DEFAULT drive that's inside consoles are not the best themselves, often the cheaper slower models compared to ones you'd buy yourself or get with external drives. I remember how much the PS3 felt boosted by switching to a 7,200rpm drive!

Darealbandicoot

Guys, we don't know if RDR2 will be NATIVE 4K as Aaron Greenberg said its "True 4K" and on the Xbox website, they confirmed that true 4K means ANYTHING from checkerboard to native. That's because the phrase 'True 4K' is the same thing as other buzz phrases like "MotionRate 120" or "TruColor HDR" on TV's. 

cremefraiche

Haven't the guys at DigitalFoundry already confirmed the resolution? Or is that not entirely accurate?

I'm not really sure how all these things tend to work!

Doktor_Ka78
7 hours ago, cremefraiche said:

Haven't the guys at DigitalFoundry already confirmed the resolution? Or is that not entirely accurate?

I'm not really sure how all these things tend to work!

Resolution in gameplay trailer 1 was 1920x2160. All footage has been PS4 pro. I think we have to wait until release for the x1x resolution.

Pocket Fox

So I raided my Foxy savings. Can now confirm in a week or two I will replace my 42" 1080p TV with a 55" 4K HDR one and replace my X1 with an X1X

I just have to have 55 inches of 4K HDR horses in all their glory or else, why even bother living anymore.

Doktor_Ka78
8 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

So I raided my Foxy savings. Can now confirm in a week or two I will replace my 42" 1080p TV with a 55" 4K HDR one and replace my X1 with an X1X

I just have to have 55 inches of 4K HDR horses in all their glory or else, why even bother living anymore.

Good decision. I did this a year ago and never regreted it. What TV you're going to get?

Punkd

getting a new 4k hdr television next week.. atm i own a xbox360 (hell yeah..)

i dont know what to do now, get the more expensive ps4 pro/xbox one x or buy the cheaper console versions? wait for the rdr console bundles or buy another bundle now (there are good prices imo atm, fifa,forza, etc)?

Rockstar Vienna
On 10/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, Doktor_Ka78 said:

Resolution in gameplay trailer 1 was 1920x2160.

I hope not 😛

I bought a PS4 Pro yesterday. My 2013 PS4 still works fine but oh well... I just want to experience RDR in the best quality. This is my most anticipated game of this console generation.

Edited by Rockstar Vienna

Doktor_Ka78
1 hour ago, Rockstar Vienna said:

I hope not 😛

Digital Foundry analysis. Gameplay trailer 2 has the same resolution as they said some hours ago. But don't mind about these numbers. Actually better than 1440p. Game will look great. No need to worry.

Rockstar Vienna
52 minutes ago, Doktor_Ka78 said:

Digital Foundry analysis. Gameplay trailer 2 has the same resolution as they said some hours ago. But don't mind about these numbers. Actually better than 1440p. Game will look great. No need to worry.

Nah, you misunderstood... I just meant the resolution of 1920x2160. Think you meant 3840x2160. Oh and I'm sure that it will look incredible! ;)

DEADWOODZ
3 hours ago, Rockstar Vienna said:

I hope not 😛

I bought a PS4 Pro yesterday. My 2013 PS4 still works fine but oh well... I just want to experience RDR in the best quality. This is my most anticipated game of this console generation.

7dd462552abcd9d3d029d0bc5512276e.png

Pocket Fox
6 hours ago, Doktor_Ka78 said:

Good decision. I did this a year ago and never regreted it. What TV you're going to get?

Samsung NU8000 55"

I looked at cheaper, but then I found a lot of people saying the cheaper Sony models I saw for 1k-1.2k were nowhere near the quality of the NU8000 so I'm eating noodles and fish for a few weeks to break the bank to afford this.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/samsung/samsung-nu8000-55-series-8-premium-4k-uhd-led-tv/636858/

Rockstar Vienna
7 hours ago, DEADWOODZ said:

7dd462552abcd9d3d029d0bc5512276e.png

Dammit I was somewhere else with my thoughts here. Brain fart. Thanks and sorry to Doktor for the confusion!

That will be slightly better than 1440p then. That's more than enough. Especially when you look at RDR on PS3. That ran at what... 680p or so!? 

Doktor_Ka78
9 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

Samsung NU8000 55"

Very good choice. One of the best LEDs for the money. Got the KS8000 myself. Nearly the same TV. HDR will blow you away. It's just something else. All trailers for RDR2 have been in SDR. You can only just imagine how good it will look in HDR. Especially on a TV like yours. So nothing wrong with noodles and fish for some weeks.

Jimmarn
On 10/3/2018 at 11:30 AM, Pocket Fox said:

HDR alone is amazing IMO, coupled with 4K it looks amazing! 
I was playing Spiderman on my 4K HDR Oled TV, for a while, and when you take screenshots you see how bland they look as they don't get the HDR treatment. And I took my console into the office to play some there, regular 1080p no HDR. And it was sad to look at after getting used to the HDR especially, I also noticed way more jagged edges. But man there was a huge difference in lighting and how well things looked in shaded areas and towards the sun. 

Rockstar Vienna
1 hour ago, Doktor_Ka78 said:

Very good choice. One of the best LEDs for the money. Got the KS8000 myself. Nearly the same TV. HDR will blow you away. It's just something else. All trailers for RDR2 have been in SDR. You can only just imagine how good it will look in HDR. Especially on a TV like yours. So nothing wrong with noodles and fish for some weeks.

Yes, great TV for the money. Got the KS8080 and I'm very happy with it, too 👍

Doktor_Ka78
4 hours ago, LokDog said:

I hope the Pro is able to do the same

Nope. The Pro will use checkerboard rendering. This is no upscaling in technical terms. Results are very good compared to native 4K.

I'm more concerned about a stable frame rate on the pro. But you're right. We'll have to wait until release.

In case you are interested in rendering: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5zdr6q/psa_why_checkerboard_rendering_isnt_upscaling_and/

Flannelmagic1

Is it confirmed that there won't be a 60 fps option on the X and Pro? Don't think i'm going to bother upgrading my console if that's the case since I only have a 1080p TV and won't gain the benefits of 4K or HDR. 

Ash_735
On 10/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, Rockstar Vienna said:

Dammit I was somewhere else with my thoughts here. Brain fart. Thanks and sorry to Doktor for the confusion!

That will be slightly better than 1440p then. That's more than enough. Especially when you look at RDR on PS3. That ran at what... 680p or so!? 

2560x1440p = 3,684,400 rendered pixels

1920x2160p = 4,147,200 rendered pixels

Compare that to RDR1 on PS3

1152x640p = 737,280 rendered pixels

or Xbox 360

1280x720p = 921,600 rendered pixels

Or let's say normal PS4 for RDR2

1920x1080p = 2,073,600 rendered pixels

Yeah, the way Rockstar have gone is CERTAINLY better than 1440p that most Pro games aim for, plus the added benefit of only scaling on one axis and THEN the checkerboarding to help that upscale.

@Flannelmagic1 There is no 60fps mode for Pro/X BUT if framerate is your priority you may want to consider them still for a closer to locked 30fps, as seen with a few recent releases titles, 30fps locks are focused on Pro/X whilst original PS4 and Xbox One versions have been bouncing around 25 - 28fps.

Mastah

fom

-Xbox One X - native 4K

-PS4 Pro - checkerboarded 1920x2160

-PS4 - 1080p

-Xbox One - 864p

-Xbox One X with the best framerate

-the same assets across all consoles

As I expected, it was very much worth it to upgrade from Xbone to X, I'm so glad I've done it. The jump from base PS4 to Pro is good, but nothing spectacular. So exactly as I predicted 😃

woggleman

Did I buy it for the wrong console? I will see if they let me exchange it. I have both 4k consoles so why not get the best version?