2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

SprinklesMcFartza

RDR2 Enhanced for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro?

TheExecutor10

Well last I heard it was made with the PS4 in mind wasn't it? That was when the PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox One. Which it still is, but now there's the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, with the Xbox being more powerful there. So I don't know what's going to happen with that. If you had an Xbox One X, would it still not look as good as on PS4?

Hopefully it looks close to the trailers on the standard PS4 and Xbox One. This gen just hasn't had enough games that really look like a huge leap over last gen, in my opinion.

The trailers are captured on a base PS4, so these are PS4 visuals we saw.

On PS4 Pro and Xbox One X it will look a lot sharper I guess.

Vitalize

Ps4 pro and xbox one x will have additional inprovements :D

woggleman

I am sure it will be. I have both so I am debating which one I want to play it on.

Dust

Well last I heard it was made with the PS4 in mind wasn't it? That was when the PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox One. Which it still is, but now there's the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, with the Xbox being more powerful there. So I don't know what's going to happen with that. If you had an Xbox One X, would it still not look as good as on PS4?

Hopefully it looks close to the trailers on the standard PS4 and Xbox One. This gen just hasn't had enough games that really look like a huge leap over last gen, in my opinion.

Rockstar made a deal with Sony for RDR2 and content being available on that platform first for a few reasons i think. Professionally though the games are going to be equal as far as how they were built for the current generation of consoles and how they were built slightly more advanced for the high end models of these consoles. It's that simple. RDR2 is going to be no exception. The deal Sony got isn't surprising because it goes back to their long lasting relationship with Rockstar since GTA first came out on the original PlayStation. Back in the day nothing was more popular than picking up the latest GTA for your PS2. Both of these companies had great marketing and branding back then working together. Although it can suck when content is a times exclusive, i think this deal is justified based on the respect these companies have for each other. Sony helped nurture Rockstar when they were an extremely small studio. It is what it is. I think an lot of us are thinking about upgrading for the release. I'm not worried about what platform i play on because i don't think any console is going to get the short end of the stick. If anything the old models of the current generation consoles are going to get the 'lesser' port of the game, not the smarter, faster, more capable and upgraded models. I'm going with my gut. Rockstar is going to go above and beyond like they always do so i'm more likely to make this investment. I think many of us want the best day one RDR2 experience. The XBOX ONE X is the most powerful console so it think that's not a bad choice. The hitch for many people is it only really makes sense to upgrade to the latest console model if you have a 4K TV.

Mokrie Dela
Posted (edited)

My concern was that the screenshots and trailers were captured on ps4pro with rockstar's proprietary editor to polish it up. While they're still probably doing the latter, hearing that it's captured on a base ps4 gives me much relief. I too expect something to be held back for ps4pro but that'd be a graphical effect or feature like occlusion or specific/improves weather effects (like gta v ps4 with water on the road when it rained) Edited by Mokrie Dela

ViciousLuke
Posted (edited)

My concern was that the screenshots and trailers were captured on ps4pro with today's proprietary editor to polish it up. While they're still probably doing the latter, hearing that it's captured on a base ps4 gives me much relief. I too expect something to be held back for ps4pro but that'd be a graphical effect or feature like occlusion or specific/improves weather effects (like gta v ps4 with water on the road when it rained)

Well, journalists from IGN said that Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of the best looking games they have ever seen (basically because Rockstar fully focused making RDR2 on this generation of consoles alone, which allows them to push PS4 and X1 consoles to the absolute limit) and when they were told that the gameplay they saw was on a base PS4 - they wow'ed. As they said - it just looks stunning even on a base version of PS4, and the way they were talking about the game makes you notice that even journalists didn't think that it was possible to achieve such a result on a launch version of PS4. After hearing that, I am really confident now.

Edited by ViciousLuke

Nerfgoth

Yay or nay on getting a ps4 pro for release?

woggleman

If you have a 4K tv then a big yay.

Nerfgoth

Hey, October is far away so...

woggleman

Hey, October is far away so...

With the 2018 models having recently come out you could probably get a good deal on a 2017 model. Try the Sony 900E.

Mach1bud

Big yay. Hell I am getting a 4k TV and a Pro.

PvTails
Posted (edited)

I can confirm that the PlayStation Store has listed the game under the Pro Enhanced section of the store.

But the enhancements are unknown. It's likely that the base PS4 and Pro will support HDR, and the Pro will likely gain a resolution boost, anti-aliazing, and if rockstar is able achieve this a performance mode for Single Player.

I bet you now they will CUT content from the game and make it some SPECIAL feature for pro/x consoles only.

I'm not sure if your being sarcastic but I call

bollocks, developers are not allowed to add additional content besides performance or visual enhancements.

Edited by PvTails

BUT THE BENZ

well, what about the soundtrack to GTA V/Online?

and what about the FPV?

yeah, they made GTAV totally and ONLY with the PS3 in mind....and now you guys say the same about RDR2. it being made with the PS4 in mind....

when really, R*ONY knew damn well what was going to happen back then, and they know now!

Ash_735

The PS4 Pro isn't a different console to the PS4 though like PS3 to PS4, it's just a more powerful PS4 and no one has ever held content from a PS4 game and included it on PS4 Pro, it's always been just graphical related. ;)

BUT THE BENZ

well R* is not scared to do something first....

Mas u Sees

well R* is not scared to do something first....

They wouldn't be allowed to.

According to Sony, PS4 and PS4 Pro need to be Online compatible, and there shouldn't be any unfair advantages, other than graphical fidelity to the standard PS4.

woggleman

R will not make a game only for the PS4 pro. The Pro might have done well but there are still a ton of people who only have the base PS4 and they would never cut off that market. The same with the X Box one and the X.

Am Shaegar

What is the difference between PS4 and Pro in terms of making the game compatible with the system?

Even if they released the game for PS4 they can still make a version for the Pro by releasing the enhancements to make use of the system either via patch or a separate edition altogether.

woggleman

What is the difference between PS4 and Pro in terms of making the game compatible with the system?

Even if they released the game for PS4 they can still make a version for the Pro by releasing the enhancements to make use of the system either via patch or a separate edition altogether.

Most likely there will be a patch for the Pro. That is how they have done it with other games.

BUT THE BENZ

R will not make a game only for the PS4 pro. The Pro might have done well but there are still a ton of people who only have the base PS4 and they would never cut off that market. The same with the X Box one and the X.

they'll make the game for 4 consoles, and they don't cut off the market, they simply offer a little MORE with the powerful consoles!

PvTails
Posted (edited)

The Pro, Slim and, Base PS4's are all the same console besides hardware differences. You just download or insert the game into console and it works. It's running the same operating system (freebsd) with the same original code.

The best way to describe it is how a PC running with Windows 10 and another PC has Windows 10 but the GPU is much better. That's it!

But here is some more info for those interested.

Both the slim and Pro have an upgraded network card which support 5Ghz WIFI signals, while the base console only supports 2.4 Ghz.

The Pro uses a SATA III connection instead of the old SATA II connection the original PS4 uses, I'm not sure if the slim has this upgrade, but I'm gonna guess it doesn't have it.

The GPU is obviously better (from 1.84 to 4.2 TFLOPS), also older PS4 games that don't support the PS4 Pro just simply run at the original Base PS4 clockrate. (GTA V doesn't support the Pro as of now)

The Pro has a special boost mode the forces games to run faster if they don't have Pro Patch, some games get increased framerates, faster loading times while some just don't have noticable difference ex:(Locked frame rate).

So yeah, the purpose of this console is made for 4K Televisions in mind and devs can't exclude base consoles unless it's the PS5 which it's not coming anytime soon.

If you guys are interested here's a link to where I got the information https://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-pro-vs-ps4-what-s-the-difference-1328341

Edited by PvTails

Russtic

My PlayStation-Pro sounds like a dyson.

Why would anyonr wouldn't want to experience RDR2 on anything short of the best?

Xbox One X version, for sure.

woggleman

My PlayStation-Pro sounds like a dyson.

Why would anyonr wouldn't want to experience RDR2 on anything short of the best?

Xbox One X version, for sure.

If you have a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment then vacuum all the vents and openings. It works wonders on any console.

RyanWard87

Was actually talking with friends about this the other day, I’m curious to hear what all of your thoughts are, seeing as how:

PS4 > Xbox One

yet

PS4 Pro < Xbox One X

And since RDR2 is initially releasing on PS4/Xbox One, with possible enhanced versions when playing on a PS4 or Xbox One X respectively, could this be a matter of “a film on DVD, upscaled on a 4K tv not being able to match the quality of a film on blu ray, running natively on a 1080p tv,” in a sense? Where the better choice would presumably be the “better base version,” on the PS4, running enhanced on a PS4 Pro?

Or, would there potentially be some kind of way where—despite being the [presumably] “inferior” version on Xbox One (& FTR, “inferior” is really probably too harsh of a word... as I’d imagine it’d be negligibly so, if much at all)—perhaps the Xbox One version of the game could still somehow be the “best” version when running enhanced on an Xbox One X?

Common sense would tell me that “the better base version, slightly enhanced” would always be better than “the ‘lesser’ version, enhanced greatly,” in most cases (hence the “dvd-4k tv/blu ray-1080p” analogy above), so I’m *guessing* the PS4 version on the PS4 Pro would more than likely be the way to go (which is a bummer for me personally, as I am a PC gamer with only a PS4 & an Xbox One X in the way of consoles, & was hoping to be able to just get the Xbox One version, heh).

Unless, of course, maybe there would be some kind of day 1 update for the enhanced versions? Which would give the newer Pro/X consoles access to higher resolution textures/etc. at the level(s) those particular systems are capable of handling? In which case, perhaps it really could be the XB1X version that has a slight edge? I really have no idea, to be honest, lol.

What do you guys think?

TheExecutor10
Posted (edited)

Rockstar already confirmed they will be supporting PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, which means Xbox One X will have the best version in terms of graphics quality, resolution and performance. The film comparison doesn't work.

The facts are the following for Red Dead Redemption 2 (and actually almost every other game that is enhanced for the upgraded consoles):

Xbox One < PS4 < PS4 Pro < Xbox One X

You can see this with other games, where Xbox One X has the best version, even though the base Xbox One is the worst. Because it is the same game, the same engine, and not something completely different like DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Because devolpers don't scale (in this case) the worst version (base Xbox One) just a bit up for the best hardware (Xbox One X). What they do is get out as much as possible out of every version. That's why GTAV is better on PS4 than on Xbox One, and Assassin's Creed Origins is better on Xbox One X than on PS4 Pro, even though the base Xbox One version is the worst from all of them. Otherwise the powerful hardware of the Xbox One X would be f*cking useless lol. Developers don't make a version for Xbox One and scale it up for Xbox One X and then make a version for PS4 and scale it up for PS4 Pro. Actually they have the complete game scalable (hence the PC graphics options) and then they optimize it for consoles. And if they actually do the work and build the game from the ground up for every console, even then the Xbox One X will be the best version. I don't know how to explain it better, but I never heard of this DVD/Blu-Ray comparison regarding games, it's a bit confusing to me.^^ The film comparison only works if you talk about games that were developed for old generations, and are now only upscaled for current generation consoles (not remastered!).

Another way to explain it: You need to look at these consoles as different entities, not as entities that are dependent on each other in terms of getting the best out of the same game (they are in way dependent on each other that you will have the same game on every console, but that is given I think. Here we talk about the graphics and performance). So the best entity will have the best version right? AC Origins is a good example, as it comes close to the game RDR2 is.

But I'm sure Red Dead Redemption 2 will look great on every platform.

In the end there won't be much of a difference between Xbox One and PS4 and between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. The biggest difference will be between Xbox One and Xbox One X. But if you already have a PS4 Pro, you should be fine, and you even get some (online) content first. If you have a PS4 and Xbox One, you should also be fine, if you aren't interesed in 4K or can't afford a 4K TV. But if you want to upgrade, you should be fine with PS4 Pro and Xbox One (it really depends on your personal preference). But if you have an Xbox One (and you have all your games and friends there) it is really worth it to upgrade to the X.

Edited by TheExecutor10

thc_404
On 11/10/2017 at 12:49 AM, BUT THE BENZ said:

I bet you now they will CUT content from the game and make it some SPECIAL feature for pro/x consoles only.

Isn't that what they are doing right now? I mean, a lot of the things you get for pre-ordering are basically "cut from the game". 😛

RyanWard87
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, TheExecutor10 said:

Rockstar already confirmed they will be supporting PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, which means Xbox One X will have the best version in terms of graphics quality, resolution and performance. The film comparison doesn't work.

The facts are the following for Red Dead Redemption 2 (and actually almost every other game that is enhanced for the upgraded consoles):

Xbox One < PS4 < PS4 Pro < Xbox One X

You can see this with other games, where Xbox One X has the best version, even though the base Xbox One is the worst. Because it is the same game, the same engine, and not something completely different like DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Because devolpers don't scale (in this case) the worst version (base Xbox One) just a bit up for the best hardware (Xbox One X). What they do is get out as much as possible out of every version. That's why GTAV is better on PS4 than on Xbox One, and Assassin's Creed Origins is better on Xbox One X than on PS4 Pro, even though the base Xbox One version is the worst from all of them. Otherwise the powerful hardware of the Xbox One X would be f*cking useless lol. Developers don't make a version for Xbox One and scale it up for Xbox One X and then make a version for PS4 and scale it up for PS4 Pro. Actually they have the complete game scalable (hence the PC graphics options) and then they optimize it for consoles. And if they actually do the work and build the game from the ground up for every console, even then the Xbox One X will be the best version. I don't know how to explain it better, but I never heard of this DVD/Blu-Ray comparison regarding games, it's a bit confusing to me.^^ The film comparison only works if you talk about games that were developed for old generations, and are now only upscaled for current generation consoles (not remastered!).

Another way to explain it: You need to look at these consoles as different entities, not as entities that are dependent on each other in terms of getting the best out of the same game (they are in way dependent on each other that you will have the same game on every console, but that is given I think. Here we talk about the graphics and performance). So the best entity will have the best version right? AC Origins is a good example, as it comes close to the game RDR2 is.

But I'm sure Red Dead Redemption 2 will look great on every platform.

In the end there won't be much of a difference between Xbox One and PS4 and between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. The biggest difference will be between Xbox One and Xbox One X. But if you already have a PS4 Pro, you should be fine, and you even get some (online) content first. If you have a PS4 and Xbox One, you should also be fine, if you aren't interesed in 4K or can't afford a 4K TV. But if you want to upgrade, you should be fine with PS4 Pro and Xbox One (it really depends on your personal preference). But if you have an Xbox One (and you have all your games and friends there) it is really worth it to upgrade to the X.

That’s great, thank you. Exactly the answer(s) I was looking for (even if some of what you asked/assumed was in what I wrote above lol, but no worries! :P) But yeah don’t mind the dvd/blu ray comparison thing, and sorry that it confused you; it was just a very unrelated, dissimilar analogy that I thought would at least somewhat illustrate my concern for what I thought could’ve *possibly* been the case in October, due to these games only releasing on the base consoles, & not the Pro/X versions (but yes as a film grad, I was well aware of the massive differences bt the mediums of film & games! I just suck at analogies/metaphors XD).

But like I said, I’m predominately a PC gamer (~90% these days), so I was still relatively unaware of how “enhanced” games worked between these consoles (with the exception of how beautiful my old 360 version of RDR 1 looks on my XB1X at 4K! Closest thing to a PC version we’re gonna get, I presume!), and couldn’t find anything in the search where anyone else had asked this specific question about how it would translate between PS4 into PS4 Pro, vs. XB1 into XB1X, considering base games quality and all that. Maybe it was more obvious than I’d assumed, but I guess I just wanted to “triple-check,” as I’m usually a bit of a stickler about making sure I am getting the highest quality version of a game possible, heh.

So judging from what you said, this is going to be fantastic, as I only have a regular PS4 & an Xbox One X in the way of consoles, so if you are correct in stating that the games scale to the console they’re played on, rather than merely having the base contents on whichever disc you buy (PS4 or XB1) “boosted” by the Pro or X Console, then this is great news for me, and I will be getting the Xbox One version for my Xbox One X! Thank you again.

edit: no idea why it changed the style of that last sentence about “games scale” and all, lol, sorry about that! (This site is brutal on mobile!)

Edited by RyanWard87

TheExecutor10

Yes, the games scale to the consoles they're played on. I read several behind the scenes articles describing developers working with the Xbox One X and that is exactly what they said. And you can see the results of this in the games that are enhanced for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. The only thing that holds the game back is the weakest consoles, which in this case is the Xbox One, but this doesn't stop the Xbox One X from becoming the best version. And by the way I can fully understand your concern, I'm also pretty invested in the idea to play Red Dead Redemption 2 with the best possible version. Though I'm still debating if I should play the game on Xbox One X or PS4 Pro, that's also why I haven't pre-ordered it yet. On the one side Xbox One X will look best, on the other side with PS4 Pro I will get select content first. I hope Sony gives details soon on what the "select content" actually is and for how long it is locked for Xbox Players.

Mostly_Red

So, can we expect somethig like this?

PS4- 1080p 30fps

PS4- 1440p 30fps

One- 900p 30fps

One X- 1800p 30fps

I hope there are no differences aside from resolution

PvTails
1 hour ago, Mostly_Red said:

So, can we expect somethig like this?

PS4- 1080p 30fps

PS4- 1440p 30fps

One- 900p 30fps

One X- 1800p 30fps

I hope there are no differences aside from resolution

Seems reasonable I kinda hope we get a performance mode for single player and multiplayer.

RDR Online

PS4 - 900p 60 fps 

PS4 Pro- 1080p 60 fps

Xbox One- 720p 60 fps

Xbox One X 1440p 60 fps