Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Arena War
      2. After Hours
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA Next

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Legion of Hell

Things GTA IV did better than GTA San Andreas

Recommended Posts

Kierolack666
11 hours ago, GKZ said:

Protagonist - Niko is a much better protagonist than CJ who is just a boring and dull protagonist. 

 

Storyline - Best in the series, SA story was a mess and had no logic. 

 

Map - Quality over Quantity. 

 

Missions - GTA IV has the best and most realistic missions.

 

Graphics - No explanation needed. 

 

Overall, GTA IV did almost everything better than GTA SA. 

Heck, even Vice City and III are better than San Andreas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
On 5/28/2019 at 5:31 AM, Vladistar_895 said:

,while the customisation in SA wasn't that great implemented,

Like I've said before the vehicle customisation really isn't that good. R* had the Midnight Cub games as a blueprint at the time so it beats me why they didn't use them more for inspiration. Most people would say San Andreas is better because it has more and of course the favourite word "variety".

 

I don't judge things on that. I judge them how well mechanically they're sound and whether there's a purpose. Besides the God awful, painfully slow as f*ck wardrobe the majority of the clothing especially is just ugly, tacky and pointless. However that just sums up San Andreas as a whole for me.

 

It has a lot of gimmicky features that simply don't fit a GTA game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
santosvagos
3 hours ago, Kierolack666 said:

Heck, even Vice City better than San Andreas.

Vice city is just a Scarface  version of GTA . Nothing special !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
2 hours ago, santosvagos said:

Vice city is just a Scarface  version of GTA . Nothing special !!!

That's like saying San Andreas is a Boyz In The Hood version of GTA. Nothing special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kierolack666
2 hours ago, santosvagos said:

Vice city is just a Scarface  version of GTA . Nothing special !!!

At least Vice City to me is fun and charming to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
Posted (edited)

- The Physics. 

- Ladders

- 48 minute Day/Night cycle

- Graphics and more little details. 

- City design

- Vehicle destruction

- Ability to take Cover

- Interior system

- Better AI

- Ability pick objects from the ground

- Better Girlfriend hangout system

6 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

That's like saying San Andreas is a Boyz In The Hood version of GTA.

I never got this. Just like I never got how people use the same statement for IV and Behind Enemy Lines. Even if we don't consider that 70% of SA happens outside of Los Santos with completely different subplots, I really don't get how even the first/final parts are based off Boyz in the Hood. Is it just because it's about African Americans in the south LA dealing with conflicts? Or about the game representing the Los Angeles Ghetto culture? If so, there are loads of movies that do that and there's nothing that stands out in SA as a clear resemblance of Boyz in The Hood. If so it's a pretty weak resemblance. Not like Vice City where you literally have a mansion that's completely based off Scarface let alone the plot itself. I don't see that much of a resemblance at all in SA. Just like I don't see it with IV and its said movie except for the protagonist obviously. 

 

IMO the only times R* really "tried" to actually make their GTA titles very similar to a movie was with Vice City(Scarface) and V(Heat). Though I still believe Vice City is a bit too much like Scarface. Almost no creativity from R* in that game's plot aside from the protagonist but it was made in 9 months so we really couldn't expect much. In other games we have hints and glimpses of movies and some very similar missions but none of them come close to Vice City when it comes to this. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty

 

7 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

IMO the only times R* really "tried" to actually make their GTA titles very similar to a movie was with Vice City(Scarface) and V(Heat). Though I still believe Vice City is a bit too much like Scarface. Almost no creativity from R* in that game's plot aside from the protagonist but it was made in 9 months so we really couldn't expect much. In other games we have hints and glimpses of movies and some very similar missions but none of them come close to Vice City when it comes to this. 

Vice City just takes inspiration like how it also takes inspiration from Miami Vice. The only resemblance to Scarface's plot is Tommy's rise to power and since it was the first GTA to have a "rags to riches" story R* obviously looked towards Scarface for some ideas. 

 

However Vice City's plot is far from the carbon copy of Scarface that people make it seem if you look at them objectively. I saw Scarface after I played Vice City in 2002 and I could definitely see where R* got the idea from, but they added enough unique elements to set it apart like how Tommy works for the Cubans and Haitians, how he goes about setting up his empire, not being a junkie like Tony ends up becoming eventually being killed. The game is a homage/nod more than anything.

 

Anyway San Andreas is pretty much the same. It takes inspiration from hood flicks of the early 90s like Boyz In The Hood, Menace II Society etc and I don't see how anyone can deny that. There's even a ped that's modelled on Cuba Gooding Jr's character from Boyz In The Hood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kierolack666
3 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

 

Anyway San Andreas is pretty much the same. It takes inspiration from hood flicks of the early 90s like Boyz In The Hood, Menace II Society etc and I don't see how anyone can deny that. There's even a ped that's modelled on Cuba Gooding Jr's character from Boyz In The Hood.

Dang, I don't see why people still like this game. I also see lots of comments on YouTube videos about V being a "complete homage" to the 80s while they said that Vice City was "more like a parody" ...I have to say, im just flat out about to sit on their faces. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo
Posted (edited)

Driving.

 

I know people are torn on it, but I love the weight of the cars and how every car handles and feels different. Whenever I go back to San Andreas, I find the cars pretty boring. Although, SA definitely had better customisation options. They both did different things better, but IV's driving was awesome.

Edited by Billy Russo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
5 hours ago, Billy Russo said:

Driving.

 

I know people are torn on it, but I love the weight of the cars and how every car handles and feels different. Whenever I go back to San Andreas, I find the cars pretty boring. Although, SA definitely had better customisation options. They both did different things better, but IV's driving was awesome.

I've never really liked San Andreas' driving. Well to be honest all 3D era GTA games' driving is pretty "meh" IMO. People can moan all they like about the "boat" driving in GTA IV, but I love how unforgiving it is if you make a mistake, how cars feel heavy and you have to use some proper braking technique.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr_Rager

3D era driving is weird for me. I always thought GTA 3 had underrated car physics, the sense of speed is there and crashing or getting rammed can send you flying, plus the cops are like kamikaze pilots. 

 

I think the body weight present in vehicles in IV are perfect for the congested traffic, you should be braking to turn and slipping into alleys to avoid police. People underrated how sports bikes handle in IV too, weaving in and out of traffic or trying to bullet through an intersection poses actual risk. SA had huge roads so a lot of the tension isn't there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)

I didn't mind SA's driving, it obviously wasn't realistic but it was pretty fun flying down the highway with the motion blur and literally taking off lol. IV's driving is a huge improvement on it, very realistic and satisfying, but SA's driving was fine for its time.

 

It's like with most of this topic, IV is a newer game made for a newer console, so it had the benefit of building on previous games as well as big technological advancements. It's almost a given that many aspects will be better than SA. It's when you look at the number of things IV did better than V, a later game that should've been an improvement, where it's like damn :lol:, and more relevant to point out the ways IV is better.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty
1 hour ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

.It's like with most of this topic, IV is a newer game made for a newer console, so it had the benefit of building on previous games as well as big technological advancements. 

I can see this being true for the obvious objective technical improvements like graphics, physics etc, but I think it's more interesting to peel back the things that are more subjective like for example GTA IV doesn't have all the crappy, occupational side missions from San Andreas that felt like "padding" which I'd consider an "improvement" or random characters as a substitute for the stupid "ped interaction".😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
15 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

I can see this being true for the obvious objective technical improvements like graphics, physics etc, but I think it's more interesting to peel back the things that are more subjective like for example GTA IV doesn't have all the crappy, occupational side missions from San Andreas that felt like "padding" which I'd consider an "improvement" or random characters as a substitute for the stupid "ped interaction".😉

Oh yeah totally there's still legitimate things to discuss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kierolack666
On 5/30/2019 at 8:40 PM, Billy Russo said:

Driving.

 

I know people are torn on it, but I love the weight of the cars and how every car handles and feels different. Whenever I go back to San Andreas, I find the cars pretty boring. Although, SA definitely had better customisation options. They both did different things better, but IV's driving was awesome.

I liked driving in a Infernus listening to Vice City FM in Ballad Of Gay Tony. It was like driving in a 80's Car. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SonOfLiberty

-GTA IV wasn't ruined with a half baked "remaster" like San Andreas was in 2014. Seriously I would rather have no remaster at all than a sh*tty port of an IOS game on console.

 

-I think the Northern part of Alderney is actually nicer than the countryside in San Andreas. Although it's not really "countryside" it's the closet thing GTA IV has to a wooded area and it's nice to escape from the city.

 

-Peds are more alive. They sweep paths, buy food from vendors, buy newspapers etc. They feel like real people living in a city unlike the braindead f*cks in San Andreas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perennial

Lighting NPCs on fire with the Molotovs was better in GTA IV since you see them rolling on the ground. I don't really miss the flamethrower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kierolack666
22 hours ago, SonOfLiberty said:

-GTA IV wasn't ruined with a half baked "remaster" like San Andreas was in 2014. Seriously I would rather have no remaster at all than a sh*tty port of an IOS game on console.

 

-I think the Northern part of Alderney is actually nicer than the countryside in San Andreas. Although it's not really "countryside" it's the closet thing GTA IV has to a wooded area and it's nice to escape from the city.

 

-Peds are more alive. They sweep paths, buy food from vendors, buy newspapers etc. They feel like real people living in a city unlike the braindead f*cks in San Andreas.

-A better Classic Rock station.

 

-Less whiny Protagonist.

 

-No Trevor Philips.

 

-Nicer Cops.

 

-No memes.

 

-Better antagonists

 

-Vice City FM (DLC Exclusive).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perennial
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kierolack666 said:

-No Trevor Philips.

Fortunately not in San Andreas either.


-You can run while shooting with two-handed weapons. Unlike in GTA SA, the ability to just walk with them isn't locked behind a shooting skill stat.
-You can cook grenades, aim with them better and even drop them at your feet.
-No dual wielding forced on the player. I wouldn't mind it as an option but it just reduces the appeal of using some weapons in SA.

Edited by perennial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)

Man I love grenades in IV. In San Andreas and other GTA games I wouldn't even bother with them once I had a rocket launcher or sticky bombs etc. They weren't very easy to aim accurately and the explosion was nothing special. But in IV I remember when I first played Deconstruction for Beginners and the power I felt from them and the way the explosions looked and sounded was so awesome. I love the animations of throwing, rolling and dropping them, the powerful explosion (and how you can get caught by it and get get knocked back or ringing ears without dying) and how you can cook them whether on foot or when dropping them out of a vehicle and aim them precisely. Really satisfying to use.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
santosvagos

MAP .GTA San has a huge map but it's lack of details and life . Even i am a fan of GTA Sa , i have to say that literally , there are no interesting areas in SA beside Los Santos ghetto  , forests and casino in Las Venturas . The rural areas like Angel Pine , Dillimore ,... they're just in the game to fill up the map and San Fierro is totally lack of development and poorly designed . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kierolack666
On 6/4/2019 at 6:28 AM, perennial said:

Fortunately not in San Andreas either.

I know. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kierolack666
On 6/4/2019 at 6:28 AM, perennial said:

-You can run while shooting with two-handed weapons. Unlike in GTA SA, the ability to just walk with them isn't locked behind a shooting skill stat.
-You can cook grenades, aim with them better and even drop them at your feet.
-No dual wielding forced on the player. I wouldn't mind it as an option but it just reduces the appeal of using some weapons in SA.

-Better pedestrians

-Emotional story

-Easier headshots

-Johnny Klebitz

-Roman Bellic's Bowling

-Liberty Rock Radio 97.8

-Iggy Pop

-Better controls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
El Penguin Bobo

Weapon sounds/gunplay: I was playing SA recently and god, the weapon sounds are f*cking abysmal. I even dare to say that the first GTA had better weapon sounds. Almost every gun in SA, it sounds like someone captured it when someone was using a hammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49
2 hours ago, El Penguin Bobo said:

Weapon sounds/gunplay: I was playing SA recently and god, the weapon sounds are f*cking abysmal. I even dare to say that the first GTA had better weapon sounds. Almost every gun in SA, it sounds like someone captured it when someone was using a hammer.

I know what you're talking about. I had so much trouble trying to find a proper mod that converts Vice City's weapon sounds to San Andreas without any issues back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kierolack666
On 6/8/2019 at 9:51 PM, El Penguin Bobo said:

Weapon sounds/gunplay: I was playing SA recently and god, the weapon sounds are f*cking abysmal. I even dare to say that the first GTA had better weapon sounds. Almost every gun in SA, it sounds like someone captured it when someone was using a hammer.

Imagine shooting out a hammer from a tiny water pistol. It would not feel right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.