Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,733 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Kristusea

Help me create the next Vice City!

Kristusea

Hey guys!

I am currently trying to create a digital city much like the GTA games and what better place to ask for feedback than the GTA community! (Although I don't know how active this forum is as I've just signed up) I'd like to point out that I wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize in advance if there's a better place for it...

Enough rambling, let's get to it!

This is what I have so far. (These are not in-engine pics, will post some of those later)

7jjgb8_8m.pngAuto_Save_Auto_Save_Auto_Save_Auto_Save_tvv7v.pngtnub_ivc.png
hy_mu_i_i.pngrnhh5h5.pngrnn5n6.pngtvynu_mubm.png
uymbi.pngy5nyvnvy.pngyhtmy.png
I'm currently in the laying-out phase with light texturing so expect a lot of white boxes. The goal is San Andreas-ish level of detail but with infrastructure that actually makes sense. I'm drawing a lot of inspiration from Vice City but mostly I'm using Miami as reference.
Originally I was going to develop this on UE4 but it didn't make much sense as UE4 is suited for more modern games (and the fps wasn't great, even with everything toned down), so I moved to a more suitable engine with barebones shading but with many more out-of-the-box gameplay functions.
So where do you guys come in?
I'd like you to give me your opinion on what some essential GTA-style Sandbox landmarks on an open-city game are (Such as Airport,Docks,Downtown,Airbase) and well, motivate me :)
I'd appreciate your feedback!

K^2

Did you remember to make LoD models? Because that'd be my bet on why the framerate was crap. Unreal's really well optimized. But yeah, it's probably overkill for what you're doing anyways. No reason to mess with that sort of pipeline if you don't have to.

Have you looked at Unity? You'd still definitely need LoDs, but they're going to be a good idea anyways, so you might as well. It's easy enough to work with, and there are plenty of canned scripts for characters, camera, vehicles, etc.

If you'll want some help setting up vehicle scripts/code, feel free to ping me. Depending on what you end up using for engine, I might be able to help.

Kristusea

Did you remember to make LoD models? Because that'd be my bet on why the framerate was crap. Unreal's really well optimized. But yeah, it's probably overkill for what you're doing anyways. No reason to mess with that sort of pipeline if you don't have to.

Have you looked at Unity? You'd still definitely need LoDs, but they're going to be a good idea anyways, so you might as well. It's easy enough to work with, and there are plenty of canned scripts for characters, camera, vehicles, etc.

If you'll want some help setting up vehicle scripts/code, feel free to ping me. Depending on what you end up using for engine, I might be able to help.

Hello K^2, thank you for your interest on this project!

There is no need for LoDs at this point as nothing is set in stone and it's mostly pretty low poly. I've actually decided to go with a relatively unknown engine called NeoAxis 3D which has just the right amount of bells and whistles I need for this project, and a pretty established gameplay framework.

Compared to UE4 which ran at about 80fps on a GTX 760 (not what I'm aiming for) this engine runs at about 120fps on my Macbook with Intel HD 6000, albeit extremely less feature packed.

I'll make sure to contact you if I need help with something. :)

Here's some rather uninteresting pics of the same models inside the engine.

cbtcc.png ggeege.png hc6h6ct.png
rbrbdb.png vebesdg.png vrgwfwg.png
Edited by Kristusea

K^2

Interesting engine. Never heard of it before. It's not much, but it'll definitely get the job done. I'm not a fan of PhysX, but so long as somebody else already took care of wrapping it, you'll probably not have to worry about any of its quirks. And it has all the basics in place, plus a fairly robust rendering pipeline. You could definitely get something of VC quality going in this without any problems, so long as you can get all the assets made.

Looks like it will be easy enough to work with in terms of code as well. Most of what you want will work out of the box. Vehicles might need custom code. You'll definitely want to expand the nav mesh system to handle vehicle vs pedestrian traffic, but that could actually turn out to be very little work. The hardest part will probably be setting up missions, and that's not at all bad for an engine I've never heard of. Good find.

universetwisters

I have some building models made if you're interested. Granted they're from another project of mine that never went anywhere, but you could probably be able to use them somewhere.

HnIxdxN.png

I could also make you some sunbelt looking homes that are common here in Florida if I had a working copy of 3dsmax. And yes I live in Florida so references aren't that far away :V

Blue

I'm up to help too, sent you a DM about it!

Edited by Blue

direct_UA

Hi, nice map there! If you need a vehicle maker, you can PM me!