4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Which 3D era GTA did you like the most?

TheOneLibertonian

Algonquin Assassin

Vice City is still the 3D era king with GTA III in a close second.

• Like 2

First San Andreas. Currently Gta III.

Edit: To make this clear. I played Gta III much more before San Andreas but i was interested in San Andreas more because of the gameplay. After playing Gta III again a few years ago i liked it more and now i dislike San Andres a bit due to Gta III and IV. My favorite Gta is probably III now.

Edited by Payne
  • Like 2

I can't really decide which game I prefer overall.

As far as art styles, tones, atmospheres (along with ambient sounds), missions (especially GTA III) and approaches, I severely prefer GTA III and Vice City (the former to a slightly further extent by a hair) to San Andreas. Same for the structures of their stories. But as far as gameplay mechanics go, San Andreas is far easier to play to me, with the crouching element being more fleshed out and polished, the ability to swim and climb ledges, the more advanced and smoother mechanics of melee fighting and shooting, as well as the somewhat less acradey driving. The story was also pretty cool - really entertaining to be fair, but the structures and narratives themselves weren't exactly as interesting as in the classic twins (GTA III and Vice City) on the other hand. Albeit, it's superior when it comes to dialogue and character development (mostly anyway) in my opinion.

So, hypothetically speaking, had the release dates of San Andreas and Vice City/GTA III been switched, it might be a more obvious choice for me to pick the latter.

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, iiCriminnaaL 49 said:

I can't really decide which game I prefer overall.

As far as art styles, tones, atmospheres (along with ambient sounds), missions (especially GTA III) and approaches, I severely prefer GTA III and Vice City (the former to a slightly further extent by a hair) to San Andreas. Same for the structures of their stories. But as far as gameplay mechanics go, San Andreas is far easier to play to me, with the crouching element being more fleshed out and polished, the ability to swim and climb ledges, the more advanced and smoother mechanics of melee fighting and shooting, as well as the somewhat less acradey driving. The story was also pretty cool - really entertaining to be fair, but the structures and narratives themselves weren't exactly as interesting as in the classic twins (GTA III and Vice City) on the other hand. Albeit, it's superior when it comes to dialogue and character development (mostly anyway) in my opinion.

So, hypothetically speaking, had the release dates of San Andreas and Vice City/GTA III been switched, it might be a more obvious choice for me to pick the latter.

I swear on controller the crouching in VC screwed me over WAY MORE than it saved me.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, KingAJ032304 said:

I swear on controller the crouching in VC screwed me over WAY MORE than it saved me.

Could be due to the fact that Tommy forgets the basis of moving his legs once he crouches 😜

• Like 1

it's a tough choice between SA and VCS for me.

VCS had a better map, protagonist and story for me. also, being able to play VCS on PS VITA adrenaline with a plugin that lets you control the camera with the right stick is a new experience. (yes you could control the camera with the right analog stick on the PS2, but the game performs better on the PSP and PS VITA.) plus, empire building is one of the best things in the series.

but, i don't have any love for the enemy AI that can tear your car to shreds in a few seconds, or the absolutely brutal police that makes some missions almost impossible.

SA has more refined shooting and driving, and a lot of memorable characters like sweet, smoke, cesar, tempenny, etc.

but SA has so many annoying missions like the dancing missions, zero's missions, etc (although it has great missions too).

i think VCS wins (only slightly), because it feels like an upgraded vice city in a way. plus, i like vic way more than CJ.

Edited by Niobium
  • Like 3
24 minutes ago, Niobium said:

it's a tough choice between SA and VCS for me.

VCS had a better map, protagonist and story for me. also, being able to play VCS on PS VITA adrenaline with a plugin that lets you control the camera with the right stick is a new experience. (yes you could control the camera with the right analog stick on the PS2, but the game performs better on the PSP and PS VITA.) plus, empire building is one of the best things in the series.

but, i don't have any love for the enemy AI that can tear your car to shreds in a few seconds, or the absolutely brutal police that makes some missions almost impossible.

SA has more refined shooting and driving, and a lot of memorable characters like sweet, smoke, cesar, tempenny, etc.

but SA has so many annoying missions like the dancing missions, zero's missions, etc (although it has great missions too).

i think VCS wins (only slightly), because it feels like an upgraded vice city in a way. plus, i like vic way more than CJ.

Side-characters, I agree. Although, I prefer Vic to CJ as well.

When it comes to antagonists, though, most players would consider San Andreas to have the better antagonist out of the two games, but I personally consider the Mendez brothers to be the real primary antagonists of Vice City Stories, and not that clown Martinez. Based on that, I also prefer VCS for antagonists.

• Like 2
On 10/19/2017 at 5:14 PM, Piggsy pls said:

GTA III's dated af but it's got a special place in my heart, and VCS is overall my favorite of the 3D era. SA and VC are overrated to me.

Completely agree

• Like 1

Grand Theft Auto III. 

Why? Well, in my opinion it has the best settings, plot and vehicles among 3D Era Grand Theft Auto games.

Also... When I was a kid I've always wanted to play Grand Theft Auto III. All I had was Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto 2 for PlayStation... which was not enough.

GTA3 tops the list for me. As I've stated in other topics, it's all about that nostalgia. Great atmosphere and fun gameplay for the era.

I really do love them all though.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...