3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Which 3D era GTA did you like the most?

TheOneLibertonian

When I think of GTA's golden age, I think of the 3D era. It's the age that started the GTA phenomenon. Massive sales, critical acclaim, innovation, immersive storytelling, and major controversies all started here. The first two GTA's were fun mindless games to their own right, but it was GTA III that Rockstar found identity to the series and is a stepping stone for gaming in general.

Going back to the topic in hand, GTA Vice City is my favorite amongst all the 3D GTA's. I think it is a timeless classic with memorable characters, entertaining story, awesome missions, amazing soundtrack, and the brilliant re-imagining of 1980's Miami. What I really love about Vice City is the neon-colored pastel atmosphere. Not only it replicates 80's Miami's drug wars so well, but the diversity and characteristics of the city itself combined with the color-filled ambiance makes Vice City the perfect "vacation" without living your home. It's not the most original game per se, with inspiration and homages from Scarface, and Miami Vice. With the rags to riches story basically lifted from Scarface, and the relationship between Tommy and Lance is reminiscent of Crockett and Tubbs. But I think it helps the game more as a whole, not only it did make the 80's justice, but I also think that it elevate the game into an video game equivalent of "The Greatest Hits of the 1980's". It is a perfect tribute to that era full of color, synthesizers, retro fashion, cassette tapes, cocaine, and MTV.

Objectively, San Andreas is a much better game with more content, features, things to do, and a larger map than the other 3D era titles. But I found Vice City more memorable and more interesting. It's like Vice City is the cheap fast food you can buy at the market that you can simply finish and feel satisfied, while San Andreas is the French gourmet that is delicious and expensive, but you feel underwhelmed by it's hefty price.

Edited by TheOneLibertonian
  • Like 4
Light Syde Riandy

SA. I am amazed how a such a great game managed to made me playing it for about 10 years since the first time I played it as a kid. Normally after I beat a game, I would probably replay it for like 2 or 3 times, and then move on from it. But SA is different. I used to beat SA with cheats for 5 times, but the game's replayability motivated me to beat it legit for twice (once on PS2 and last time on PC). I might replay some missions about few months later since I still keep my collections of all 3 3D GTA PC Saved Games, especially remembering funny moments from GTA SA.

Edited by Light Syde Riandy
  • Like 3

GTA III was great when it was new, but time hasnt been too kind to it gameplay wise. Its dark and brooding atmosphere is the only thing I cherish now. San Andreas has its pluses, but overall its overrated to me with a bunch of content thats of little interest or redeeming value and CJs the worst 3D era protagonist hands down. I didnt play that much of VCS and LCS so cant comment on them thoroughly.

So that just leaves trusty Vice City. Its the only 3D era GTA I still play regularly and even though its aged its still a lot of fun to play with a brilliant lead protagonist, oozing 80s atmosphere, content relevant to its theme and not just clogged up with random sh*t (Looking at you San Andreas) and engaging assets which were a first for the series.

Vice Citys the 3D era pinnacle.:)

• Like 4

Vice City Stories and San Andreas.

With Vice City Stories you got new abilities like snapping peoples necks and new part of the map that wasn't in the original VC.

Pity it was wasted on a PSP port with a short story. Wish they cracked out 1 last PS2 era game before moving on.

Vice City Stories is the 3D era pinnacle. :)

Sorry man you made a typo. Fixed that for you ;(

*Member was banned for this inaccurate fix.

• Like 3

GTA III was great when it was new, but time hasnt been too kind to it gameplay wise. Its dark and brooding atmosphere is the only thing I cherish now. San Andreas has its pluses, but overall its overrated to me with a bunch of content thats of little interest or redeeming value and CJs the worst 3D era protagonist hands down. I didnt play that much of VCS and LCS so cant comment on them thoroughly.

So that just leaves trusty Vice City. Its the only 3D era GTA I still play regularly and even though its aged its still a lot of fun to play with a brilliant lead protagonist, oozing 80s atmosphere, content relevant to its theme and not just clogged up with random sh*t (Looking at you San Andreas) and engaging assets which were a first for the series.

Vice Citys the 3D era pinnacle. :)

^ This! and nothing more.

Tommy had something that Claude didn't had, and CJ is just a simple representation of how gangsters used to be in '96.

Niko and Tommy are the most rounded up and believable characters R* ever made.

• Like 2

III, it's just timeless.

San Andreas comes second to me.

Vice City next.

I have the 10th anniversary games & I'd play them more often if the ports weren't just sh*t.

• Like 2
Queen Elizabeth II

When I played GTA III for the first time, I felt like it was the best game ever. I didn't even care about San Andreas (and Vice City? Well.)

Then I played San Andreas and I didn't even care about GTA III.

Then I played Vice City and I felt like I needed to play San Andreas again. Even though I like III and Vice City more than San Andreas now.

And then came GTA IV and when I played it for the first time I felt like I didn't (and I don't) need to play any 3D Era GTA anymore.

Edited by Queen Elizabeth II

GTA III for me because of its bleak color scheme and the use of Liberty City, I'm not too fond of the eighties (and honestly, Vice City is by far the worst game world ever created by R* in my opinion) and the problem with SA is that there is TOO MUCH content, I think that a lot of it is here as a filler role.

Edited by GTA3Claude
  • Like 2

and the problem with SA is that there is TOO MUCH content, I think that a lot of it is here as a filler role.

I dont think the problem is that it has too much. Its just the majority of it really isnt that good or interesting.

If San Andreas prioritised quality and depth more than just a bunch of random activities for the sake of something to do Id probably be more fond of it.

I myself liked III a lot, but in comparison to other 3D era titles, I think that it isn't as good, but it did provide a stepping stone for the entire series onward and I am very pleased with that. GTA III itself is a great game, but it lacked the quality that other GTA's had later in that era. Obviously with limited budget and uncertainty from the gaming crowd, as well as being pretty barebones compared to what Vice City and San Andreas has to offer. But I loved III's Liberty City, it was dangerous, dirty, gritty, riddled with numerous gangs controlling the city, and the bleak atmosphere sells it as well. It's not a favorite, that goes to IV, and Vice City, but I think it is the most important title in the series and completely paints what GTA stands for and solidify it as one of gaming's greats.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

GTA Vice City no doubt. Fantastic story and characters, great 80's atmosphere, a real identity instead of throwing everything in one game (see SA) just because, that soundtrack etc. Its peak 3D Era GTA for me.

Then VCS & SA are the most enjoyable, even if they are too flawed to be at the top. LCS is fun (although Toni pisses me off) but GTA 3 is just a chore to play these days & I think it has the worst version of LC (still a groundbreaking game for its time)

Edited by Journey_95
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gta SA. The best GTA game with a lot of things to do, awesome missions, amazing stats, incredible soundtrack, and etc.. 

GTA 3 imo was really good and fun when I first time play it but it didn't age well. Vice City, it has a pretty good storyline, good missions, incredible soundtrack but the game lack things to do and has terrible controls

Then came GTA SA which is rn my favourite GTA game alongside with GTA V. GTA LCS it was fun but was a little bit of downgraded compare to GTA SA due to the lack of things to do and VCS came out and it is the best GTA game with some things to do.

• Like 1
On 1/28/2018 at 3:38 PM, 0223998743 said:

VCS, GTA SA and GTA 3.

I really like in GTA 3 how the game is really centered at 10000% on the criminal world.

I always tell people that if GTA VCS came out 2002 instead of GTA VC, then the progression from GTA VCS to GTA SA would be more natural and equal to the progression of GTA III to GTA VCS. GTA VC taking GTA VCS place would also make GTA LCS not feeling so inferior as a PSP GTA.