3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

meimeiriver

Trying to remove a bush

meimeiriver
I'm trying to remove a bush; or rather, a bush decal of sorts. See:

But, for the life of me, I can't select those 2 thin bush decals. Whatever tool I use, nothing will tell me what they are. Someome, please, what are they, and how can I find out where they're stored?!

Btw, this view already has several regular bushes removed from the scene, with this object still being the only one left. Is it some kind of LOD placeholder?! Whatever it is, I can't latch onto it to get a hash or prop name.

Thanks.

LeeC2202

I can't see anything on that image that shows where that is on the map, do you have more details about where it is?

Edit: I found it. I notice that there is a cityhills_02.rpf with lots of ch2_03b_props_combo etc... files. Those are ydd files and seem to contain planar trees typical of low LOD usage. It is possible that it is in one of those. There are 456 of them (files that is) though, so it's going to take some finding as they only show as purple planes, not actual trees/bushes.

What about this?

dtFNZBJ.jpg

Edited by LeeC2202

LeeC2202

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? :D

Have a file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0dUhhblRkb3RCS0E/view?usp=sharing

Go to the location of that file (ch2_props2_combo0318_slod_children) in your mods folder and do an Import from OpenFormats. Point it at the folder where you unzip that file to and this should be the end result. You will need to select the odd file in the folder to import.

9b0WO2U.jpg

Edited by LeeC2202

meimeiriver

Lee! :) You are always a sight for sore eyes -- and even more so when you are demonstrating your brilliance! :) Thank you very much!

LeeC2202

You're welcome. :)

I just wish I could get rid of the greenery in my garden as easy as that.

meimeiriver

I can't see anything on that image that shows where that is on the map, do you have more details about where it is?

This was actually for a new home that gets placed at that location: https://www.gta5-mods.com/maps/west-vinewood-modern-house-4lss

Those LOD bushes (and some grass) were sticking out thru my driveway, which is rather ugly. I was able to remove all the grass/bush parts, except for those low-res LOD thingies (which you'd think would never show up on high graphics). So, thanks again!

Edited by meimeiriver

LeeC2202

So have you converted that to a ymap file? It looks quite a nice mod but Map Editor... :barf: I really wouldn't want to load any maps with that. I only ever tried one and that was one too many.

I have installed a couple of addon maps though and they were fine... AkinaV and Kagara. I like the way they just seem like part of the map, rather than something that feels like it's going through a real construction process, with very slow construction workers.

meimeiriver

So have you converted that to a ymap file? It looks quite a nice mod but Map Editor... :barf: I really wouldn't want to load any maps with that. I only ever tried one and that was one too many.

I have installed a couple of addon maps though and they were fine... AkinaV and Kagara. I like the way they just seem like part of the map, rather than something that feels like it's going through a real construction process, with very slow construction workers.

Yes, I converted it to ymap. I never ever load any map with Map Editor any more** -- especially not when it's going to be a permanent addon map. As ymap it loads as good as instantly, (remarkably?) consuming almost no extra resources. Map Editor is really about the worst you can use to load maps.

** Actually, I still use Map Editor, to autoload a tiny map, with nothing in it but a few <RemoveFromWorld> commands (needed for this converted-to-ymap house too, as some construction objects need to leave the world).

meimeiriver

** Actually, I still use Map Editor, to autoload a tiny map, with nothing in it but a few <RemoveFromWorld> commands (needed for this converted-to-ymap house too, as some construction objects need to leave the world).

Today, I figured I might as well find those objects, and permanently remove them from the world myself. So, no more Map Editor needed at all. :)

LeeC2202

I see your 5Mods threads are swamped with replies, it must be because you didn't say the magic word for that site... "donation". ;)

I can't help with your other question though, that is even more unknown territory than this one was.

Edited by LeeC2202

meimeiriver

I see your 5Mods threads are swamped with replies, it must be because you didn't say the magic word for that site... "donation". ;)

I can't help with your other question though, that is even more unknown territory than this one was.

Yeah, kind of a bummer to see the the 5Mods forum be so empty these days.

It wasn't all bad, though: I learned how to add/register my own objects to a ytyp file (so as to make them spawnable ingame). Sadly, the object I had copied -- an existing wallart frame -- was uneditable (like all game .ydr files, it seems). So, for a replacement image, you need to supply one on an accompanying hidir.ytd file, with the same image name, but that fails, as the image name will already be in use (for the object you copied the frame from).

The problem with the whole ytyp saga is compounded by the fact that the few ytyp maps we have, can only be converted with the MetaTool we have (OpenIV can't open those), so all you get are hash names, which tell you very little; like

<textureDictionary>hash_546BA273</textureDictionary>

You can use a native ytyp file, and then look at something like:

<textureDictionary>hei_DT1_08_Grnd_1</textureDictionary>

And see where that refers too; but those maps tend to span an entire map., so it's a huge hassle. If only the addon ytyp maps would use a format OpenIV can directly open, so the we'd see the actual names, and not just hashes.

Edited by meimeiriver

LeeC2202

Have you got a link to one of these problematic addon ytyp maps I can have a look at?

I have just tried the AkinaV map and OpenIV opened the ytyp files in that, so I guess that's not one of the problem ones. Although as that is an addon map, it makes me wonder what it is doing differently, if OpenIV will open the files in it.

meimeiriver

Have you got a link to one of these problematic addon ytyp maps I can have a look at?

I have just tried the AkinaV map and OpenIV opened the ytyp files in that, so I guess that's not one of the problem ones. Although as that is an addon map, it makes me wonder what it is doing differently, if OpenIV will open the files in it.

Thanks, I'll look at those ytyp maps. :) The one I used was from an early-on ytyp map: addonprops: https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/addonprops It was likely made with MetaTool to begin with.

LeeC2202

Well... I have to be careful what I say but we know a story about things being incompatible with OpenIV, made with the libraries that mod uses. *cough*my addon creator*cough*, if you know what I mean. ;)

Edited by LeeC2202

meimeiriver

Well... I have to be careful what I say but we know a story about things being incompatible with OpenIV, made with the libraries that mod uses. *cough*my addon creator*cough*, if you know what I mean. ;)

Yeah. :) I think Good-NTS (sp?) once said those ytyp files wouldn't open because of alleged commas in them, instead of dots. Can't verify that, as it's all dots in the MetaTool xml; but quite possibly the commas are re-introduced upon converting to ytyp again.

LeeC2202

Yeah. :) I think Good-NTS (sp?) once said those ytyp files wouldn't open because of alleged commas in them, instead of dots. Can't verify that, as it's all dots in the MetaTool xml; but quite possibly the commas are re-introduced upon converting to ytyp again.

That means he isn't using InvariantCulture when writing the files out, so it is using localised values for the separator. I had a similar problem with some mods I was writing with Tobsi Cred. It was only when he said "German PC" one day, that it dawned on me.

That's actually why the preset files in PYR use the colon as a separator, it never changes because it's not language specific. I should have used InvariantCulture in that but I always forget how to use it. :(

meimeiriver

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? :D

Have a file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0dUhhblRkb3RCS0E/view?usp=sharing

Go to the location of that file (ch2_props2_combo0318_slod_children) in your mods folder and do an Import from OpenFormats. Point it at the folder where you unzip that file to and this should be the end result. You will need to select the odd file in the folder to import.

I think I am going insane. Suddenly I noticed the LOD of this portacabin01 appeared:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhSxhQ9g_mrMiSBOTOSqauQqlkhj

I can't remove it at all. :( There was lod for it in ch2_props2_combo0318_slod, which I took out, but the )(*&^%$%^&*() is still there!! How is this even possible?! It wasn't there before!!

LeeC2202

Maybe it's the gardeners coming back round to re-plant the bushes you took out. ;)

How did you remove the lod for it? Did you export it, delete the vertices in Max, then re-import it, or did you do it some other way?

Actually, I have just noticed that the model that is at the top of that image doesn't have the support posts but the lod model does. So there's another model somewhere... let me take a quick look.

Edit: Hmmm, looking through the model files as best I can, I see nothing that matches that model. And if you turn off the models in CodeWalker, that stays visible, which makes me think that it might be a placement instance driven by some other file, rather than being a model present at that location.

Are there any other files that could place objects by reference? I don't understand the ymap or ytyp files, but is it possible that there is one of those for the lowest LOD, that places that object?

Edited by LeeC2202

meimeiriver

How did you remove the lod for it? Did you export it, delete the vertices in Max, then re-import it, or did you do it some other way?

I dunno. I just use your import trick for the bushes: aka, removed CH2_props2_combo0318_03_LOD.odr from the .odd file, and reimported again, at which point CH2_props2_combo0318_03_LOD, indeed, no longer existed in ch2_props2_combo0318_slod_children.ydd (which is how I assumed you removed those bushes).

LeeC2202

I dunno. I just use your import trick for the bushes: aka, removed CH2_props2_combo0318_03_LOD.odr from the .odd file, and reimported again, at which point CH2_props2_combo0318_03_LOD, indeed, no longer existed in ch2_props2_combo0318_slod_children.ydd (which is how I assumed you removed those bushes).

No, I just removed the vertices that were for those bushes, because there were other bushes in that LOD file.

meimeiriver

No, I just removed the vertices that were for those bushes, because there were other bushes in that LOD file.

I recently upgraded to 1180.02 (because of the SP Hangers) and added a modified version of mpsmugglers (with all car stuff removed from it, so as not to waste car ID's). I disabled that DLC, but the portacabin LOD remains.

In fact, I checked *all* of ch2_props2_combo0318_slod_children.ydd​ for any LOD resembling that portacabin. Nada.

LeeC2202

I think the solution might very well be in either a ymap or ytyp file, because they seem to be able to place objects into the map, things like this

<archetypeName>ch2_07c_Building_A_LOD</archetypeName>

or this

<archetypeName>ch2_07c_Building_B_LOD</archetypeName>

So it is possible that it's in one of those files. It might be one of those cases where you have to delete something, load the game, delete something, load the game etc... not the best way to find something, I must confess. Unless you can find someone who really knows how to find this kind of object. I have to clutch at straws with this, so I'm not the best solution provider with map stuff. If you can find a map guru, they can probably give you a very clear answer as to how to find and remove it.

meimeiriver

I *think* I found it. :) At least 1 of the LODS. It's in ch2_lod2_slod2d_children (one of the files mentioned in the manifest):

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhSxhQ9g_mrMiSFwIai4Fx7u-sDC

(I had to really zoom in to even spot it) It seems to denote ch2_props2_combo0318_slod again. I don't know how to edit it, or even how to remove vertices from it, but I have half-a-mind to just delete that low-res sh*te altogether. :)

Edited by meimeiriver

LeeC2202

Damn, how did I miss that? I even exported that but just didn't see the portacabin. I was looking for something much bigger in OpenIV and it's actually really small in comparison to the trees.

But having been shown where it is... I have removed it, so try this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0R2FnR2JDblllcG8/view?usp=sharing

You have to load it into 3DS Max to edit it, it takes longer to import and export it than it does to actually delete the model.

meimeiriver

It's gone! Yeah, baby, yeah! :)

ch2_props2_combo0318_slod​ inside ch2_lod2_slod2d_children does NOT refer to the former file, but is itself a file inside the archive (so as to make things not confusing, LOL). I complete and utterly destroyed it.

Very confusing this stuff is, especially since there was a separate LOD for that portacabin01. So, the one remaining (at LOD1 level, according to CodeWalker) was part of an overall, even lower LOD level, mesh, with all crappy trees in them too.

@Rockstar*, in the words of Avril Lavigne, "Why do you have to go and make things so complicated?" :)

meimeiriver

Damn, how did I miss that? I even exported that but just didn't see the portacabin. I was looking for something much bigger in OpenIV and it's actually really small in comparison to the trees.

But having been shown where it is... I have removed it, so try this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0R2FnR2JDblllcG8/view?usp=sharing

You have to load it into 3DS Max to edit it, it takes longer to import and export it than it does to actually delete the model.

Hehe; why, you and me both missed that portacabin -- and me several times, even. :) You have to really zoom out, and then you can see it, to the left, when you really zoom in on that area again.

Anyway, thank you again, immensely, for all your help! Without the techniques you taught me, I'd had never been able to locate it, let alone be able to remove it.

I'll try out 3DS too, thx. Although, in this case, I have no need for those ueber low res trees at all.

Edited by meimeiriver

LeeC2202

Just be wary of simply deleting files because you might find a problem if something references that file. Even if there was only one object in one, I would still choose to delete the vertices and leave an empty file, for precisely that reason. The game having nothing to draw, would cause far less problems than the game not being able to find the file it is trying to draw.

meimeiriver

Oh, I completely missed that you had already removed them. :) Thanks!