3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Makingthequants

Anyone else taken an instant dislike to Arthur Morgan

TheSoda

Arthur's a completely different type of badass than Red and John. Based on the second trailer, he's an asshole and I for one cannot wait to play as a scumbag and f*ck everyone's sh*t up in the game. I don't think he's unlikable - just interesting and completely fresh than the good guys we were so used to playing as.

Edited by TheSoda

Mister Pinkerton

I like Morgan. But obviously I don't know him fully, yet. I got excited for Michael and Trevor but was let down by their characters so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

ghostly dude

He seems a hell alot nicer than Herbert Moon.

I would play RDR2 with Herbert Moon as the protagonist.

saintsrow

She could have been talking to someone else.

Could have been talking to Marston.

This was my expectation. Trailers in general are notorious for misleading edits, to create artificial drama, and to create questions that the audience feels compelled to resolve, leading to more sales.

Edited by saintsrow

Mister Pinkerton

She could have been talking to someone else.

Could have been talking to Marston.

This was my expectation. Trailers ikn general are notorious for misleading edits, to create artificial drama, and to create questions that the audience feels compelled to resolve, leading to more sales.

Good point. Yeah, that's why lately I try to remain skeptical or not too involved lately for fear of misreading a a story premise and then being let down when it's something completely different in the game. With RDR, I'm avoiding speculation and just sticking to the trailers. I may talk about speculation but I'm trying to stay away from speculating in general. I want RDR2 to feel new to me as RDR did at the time. Want to go in with no expectations. I think with V, I hung on to every piece of info and created this expectation and hope of what the game would be, only to find it not close to how I imagined.

As a gamer, I do try take some responsibility for not over-hyping a game for myself or having unrealistic expectations. If only I had the foresight to do that back when IV and V release build-ups.

I've only watched the trailer a few times and forget most of it by now. I do like Morgan visually. By that, I mean he doesn't have a face I want to punch.

DexMacLeod

I think Rockstar trailers generally do a good job of accurately representing the characters and the theme/tone of their games. This is what worries me about Arthur as we mostly see him pushing around/intimidating smaller and weaker people. That just doesn't seem very compelling or fun to me.

I'm hoping it's all a big swerve though. The trailers tend to accurately represent their characters because there typically isn't a whole lot to them, growth wise. Who you see in the first minute is generally who see in the last minute and every minute in between. I hope Rockstar's finally created a character that evolves as the story does rather than just acquire more and more money, possessions and kills.

HeteroDahmer

No, I'm not going to take an instant dislike to a character after listening to quite literally a few lines of dialouge.

Edited by HeteroDahmer

PwnageSoldier

Okay if we're gonna joke about GTA protags, I'd say the best badass GTA protagonist would be the online character lel

Anyways, OT.

Personally, I like him a lot. I love playing as evil men who don't take sh*t. It allows me to feel okay when I "accidentally" put a hogtied woman on the train tracks.

Edited by PwnageSoldier

Cutter De Blanc

I wonder if they made him seem kind of unlikable to some people in order to push them to play online

Sammionna

I wonder if they made him seem kind of unlikable to some people in order to push them to play online

You've got to be kidding, right?

PapasHota

The first impressions ive had with John Marston is that he was just another Clint Eastwood impersonator, untill like 6 missions after i saw he had a personality and he turned out to be my favorite character in any kind of media, hopeful Morgan is something like this

SeniorDerp

R* has already said that they have focused heavy on single player content for RDR2

-Captain-

Instant dislike? Definitely not. Neither am I sold on him, we got like one minute of footage. I am not basing my opinion on that little info.

I love the idea of being a big asshole outlaw. We essentially murder and rob in this game. Wouldn't make much sense of it would be a Mr. Niceguy. Anyway I just think it's weird that there have been quite a few comments like this. I really don't get why some people have a problem with Arthur being an ass. Should be actually really interesting and even refreshing.

Edited by -Captain-

SS97

Just throwing it out there, 1st trailer got me ultra excited for the game.

This second trailer was massively disappointing for me. The new protagonist seems like an absolute a hole, I mean I'm a RDR explorer and it just won't feel right exploring with this dude.

Really can't get my head round this new guy so thought throw it out to the community...

Dont know if someone already mentioned this but its probably because all the r* games protagonists were very succesful. Tommy, CJ, Niko,John , Trevor all made us to set our expectations too high.

But when it comes to character creation. I trust rockstar. So i dont have any worries about Arthur Morgan. When the game launches i believe he will be as succesful as Marston

Edited by SS97

Heidi McCourt

Yeah your gaining all this info from a video that was barely 2 mins, I honestly can't wait to play as a badass outlaw this time around. I loved John but I felt very restricted to doing good, I want to be able to do both good and bad and not feel that the character is out of place outside of the story. Now I didn't see an A hole in Arthur Morgan at all, yes he threatened a young man and yelled at a man demanding his money but you have no info about what those people did to him in the first place. For example the young man could've possible threatened to snitch on Arthur or the gang... my point is that theres two sides to the story in every encounter in a Rockstar game. I personally see Arthur as being more of a neutral character based on what I saw from him in the second trailer. Also for the people that say Arthur is another trevor or something similar to that... you are very special. You can clearly tell the difference between Arthur and trevor as Trevor is a 2D psychotic man baby and Arthur is a man that has to do what he has to do to survive in the old west, in my opinion is badass.

Edited by Heidi McCourt

White Shark

Lol, the OP's post didn't age well.  

Arthur Morgan, hands down, greatest character I've ever played as.

GTAgamerWyald

Best rockstar protagonist imo and undoubtedly the most badass. He has great characterization and probably the most development along with John Marston. 

Dutch deserves a shoutout too for being the most interesting antagonist rockstar has created.

White Shark
14 minutes ago, GTAgamerCR7 said:

Best rockstar protagonist imo and undoubtedly the most badass. He has great characterization and probably the most development along with John Marston. 

Dutch deserves a shoutout too for being the most interesting antagonist rockstar has created.

Agreed on Dutch.  He had many bad-ass moments.

"That's right.  Burn this DUMP to the ground!!!"

Furi0sa

Where's op to admit how wrong he was

I want to shake the man's hand who provided that epic performance for dutch.

OT but I see a mafia 2 avatar up there. RIP Joe, another one of gaming's goats. I pretend Mafia 3 never happened.

Edited by scotthedge12

FlyDog1608

Boah, if you don't like Arthur, just imagine Micah Bell 3rd

RyuNova

I thought he was going to be a thug but what we got was a good man hiding behind the persona of a thug.

3Prcntr

I don't judge people by their looks. I judge them by their character. Unless you look like trash. For example: An obese female wearing a shirt that reads "Suck my giant woman balls" while pouring her rolls out of her yoga pants and flip flops through wal-mart in a snowy -9 degree northern Montana day, is pretty much stereotyping themselves for you. Pretty much 60% of people who go to wal-mart. ;)

So no, in a video game, I cannot say that I instantly dislike a protag based on a trailer that was released before completion. I think Arthur still has the capability to be an explorer, they just failed to make it relevant in the story. Like, when you have already completed exploration of the map and done all stranger/side quests available in the mission time frame, but when told you are moving camp, Arthur acts like he has never been there before. It would be cooler to be on the same page and say something like "I have explored a bit up there", like Charles does when you clear out the Murfree Brood from Beaver Hollow.

Also: I loved Trevor. I loved all 3 of them in GTA V. Great story. Very unique.

On 11/24/2018 at 2:48 PM, scotthedge12 said:

Where's op to admit how wrong he was

This. Arthur has a very distinct "I don't care about you" persona early in the game, and through progress and health, learns that maybe regardless of his lifestyle choices, there is still a way to be an honorable person to those that deserve it.

RJX74

I just want to pop in to say I felt the exact same way when I saw trailer 2. I was like wow, what an evil guy.

But ofc I ended up liking him a lot.