3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Makingthequants

Anyone else taken an instant dislike to Arthur Morgan

Emmi

I think he'll be amongst R* 's best protagonists.

Trevor, Michael and Franklin ... pfff, the worst of the worst!

LincolnClay

At the moment, he seems alright. I love the idea of a "take-no-sh*t-from-anyone" protagonist.

I just hope that he isn't completely bland as a character. I want some depth to him. WHY is he an outlaw in the first place? HOW did he become this way? WHAT drives him? Not just the typical "oh, you know...he's a criminal" backstory.

SonOfLiberty

At the moment, he seems alright. I love the idea of a "take-no-sh*t-from-anyone" protagonist.

I just hope that he isn't completely bland as a character. I want some depth to him. WHY is he an outlaw in the first place? HOW did he become this way? WHAT drives him? Not just the typical "oh, you know...he's a criminal" backstory.

To be fair as questionable as GTA V's writing was it still made some attempt to add depth to the protagonists so I can't see RDR2 being worse.

Emmi

To be fair as questionable as GTA V's writing was it still made some attempt to add depth to the protagonists so I can't see RDR2 being worse.

Is worse than GTA V's trio even possible?! ... I don't think so!

LincolnClay

You're right.

I hope so. Oh and I just thought...maybe the "Redemption" part in the title of this game is referring to Rockstar redeeming themselves after GTA V's story (and basically everything to do with GTA Online) :O

Just an off-topic thought...

B_E_N_1992

No, but I take an instant dislike to you for thinking this. I will look forward to killing you, then robbing your corpse in Red Dead Online next year

Old_BenKenobi

I did, and that's what makes me excited to play as him. John Marston was the perfect Western anti-hero. Retreading that same ground would just be imitation. Playing as an out-and-out bad guy is going to be awesome.

VVipeSide

guy seems about right, yeah, a villain. Trevor is too. I'm fed up with good guys like Niko Bellic or John Marston. I mean they're ok but someone different for a change. Not these ANGELS with dirty faces...good guys who did a little bloodshed here and there. Straight up bad guy. fine with me

Matsumoto

I just don't like his weird looking mouth.

SHADOW OPS

I did, and that's what makes me excited to play as him. John Marston was the perfect Western anti-hero. Retreading that same ground would just be imitation. Playing as an out-and-out bad guy is going to be awesome.

This. I hope he is full tilt evil.

nader91

i don't like his accent... i'd rather have an authentic texan accent over his southern one

thc_404

Is worse than GTA V's trio even possible?! ... I don't think so!

I wouldn't hold my breath.

ghostly dude

I think he's supposed to be hateable.

Zepqeno

Didnt like him at first because it remind me of generic Lincoln Clay, but still have high hope he wont be as sh*t as he seemed in a 1 minute trailer

MCMXCII

He seems a hell alot nicer than Herbert Moon.

Cozzi

Didnt like him at first because it remind me of generic Lincoln Clay, but still have high hope he wont be as sh*t as he seemed in a 1 minute trailer

Can you please explain? I keep hearing this but I don't get it at all. What about Arthur Morgan is the same as Lincoln Clay? I mean i personally think we haven't seen enough of Arthur to assess his character, but so far he just seems like an old school gangster type threatening people and beating asses, and loving what he does. where as Lincoln seems good at heart, loyal, and would've probably not been a killer if he felt like he had a choice.

I mean, there's multiple endings and a few choices, but going by the cut scenes and dialogue you cant control, this is how he was written to be.

He seems a hell alot nicer than Herbert Moon.

Herbert Moon was also a racist. lol. and antisemitic.

UAL

I think he looks like one of those cool protagonists when you first see him in the trailers, but when the game comes out he'll be insanely boring to play as.

Kinda like Michael from GTA V.

Edited by UAL

saintsrow

Rockstar created Trevor in GTAV, so the large demographic of aggro, angsted, frustrated gamer assholes would have their very own protag asshole to identify with.

More than $3 billion later, Rockstar's thinking, "Damn, that sh*t Trevor character really worked out. All the kids are saying he's the best character in GTAV."

Then they continue the logic, "RDR2's gonna need some special juice to punch it up, since it doesn't have jets and supercars, so we're gonna have to create an even bigger asshole protag, for normal people to hate, so the growing demographic of loser permanent virgin gamers will adopt him as their hero. OK, so who's got some good ideas for creating a total asshole?"

Dick Justice

"You're the only one of these fools that I trust."

Why would she trust him if he's a psychopath? By comparison, even Trevor's cronies were terrified of him. So far, we've only seen him act aggressively towards people who owe him money/bank staff. He might be a sociopath but that doesn't make him a psychopath.

Edited by Dick Justice

Cutter De Blanc

She might be an incredibly poor judge of character, I wondered that myself

BurnettVice

Nah I the think the dude is pretty cool and I can't wait to see his backstory.

Chamberpotcleanerman20

Wait, you're a expecting a loan sharking thug from Dutch's gang to be nice? Are you kidding? Besides, you don't know anything about the man, yet.

Edited by Raj Brunner

Pink Pineapple

Why would she trust him if he's a psychopath? By comparison, even Trevor's cronies were terrified of him. So far, we've only seen him act aggressively towards people who owe him money/bank staff. He might be a sociopath but that doesn't make him a psychopath.

She could have been talking to someone else.

Mach1bud

Could have been talking to Marston.

Jimmy

Instant dislike? No. Trevor wasn't so much likeable as well. Arthur seems more nice than him. He ain't good when compared to Marston but that's just a different protagonist. One can't like each game's protag. That's just how it is. Doesn't stop you from playing though.

~INDIO~

Think people are forgetting that John Marston was not the kinda guy to help an old lady cross the road either

gonnaenodaethat

Arthur Morgan will eat realistic steak

Hunter S. Compton

Something that bothers me about all this conjecture about Arthur Morgan being is an asshole is that we have no idea who the people are that he is threatening. They've obviously engaged with his gang in some way; maybe they have outstanding gambling debts, maybe they borrowed money they couldn't pay back. I doubt he just as a ledger full of people who he just thinks it would be fun to kick around for cash...

Cutter De Blanc

I hope they don't go the tired route of "Bad man catching even worse men"

Hunter S. Compton

I hope they don't go the tired route of "Bad man catching even worse men"

I'm not saying they're like evil bastards, just that they're probably not saints. I don't think you end up face to face with Arthur Morgan through good deeds.