Anyone else taken an instant dislike to Arthur Morgan

Makingthequants

At the moment, he seems alright. I love the idea of a "take-no-sh*t-from-anyone" protagonist.

I just hope that he isn't completely bland as a character. I want some depth to him. WHY is he an outlaw in the first place? HOW did he become this way? WHAT drives him? Not just the typical "oh, you know...he's a criminal" backstory.

• Like 3

At the moment, he seems alright. I love the idea of a "take-no-sh*t-from-anyone" protagonist.

I just hope that he isn't completely bland as a character. I want some depth to him. WHY is he an outlaw in the first place? HOW did he become this way? WHAT drives him? Not just the typical "oh, you know...he's a criminal" backstory.

To be fair as questionable as GTA V's writing was it still made some attempt to add depth to the protagonists so I can't see RDR2 being worse.

• Like 3

To be fair as questionable as GTA V's writing was it still made some attempt to add depth to the protagonists so I can't see RDR2 being worse.

Is worse than GTA V's trio even possible?! ... I don't think so!

• Like 3

You're right.

I hope so. Oh and I just thought...maybe the "Redemption" part in the title of this game is referring to Rockstar redeeming themselves after GTA V's story (and basically everything to do with GTA Online) :O

Just an off-topic thought...

• Like 2

No, but I take an instant dislike to you for thinking this. I will look forward to killing you, then robbing your corpse in Red Dead Online next year

• Like 3

Old_BenKenobi

I did, and that's what makes me excited to play as him. John Marston was the perfect Western anti-hero. Retreading that same ground would just be imitation. Playing as an out-and-out bad guy is going to be awesome.

guy seems about right, yeah, a villain. Trevor is too. I'm fed up with good guys like Niko Bellic or John Marston. I mean they're ok but someone different for a change. Not these ANGELS with dirty faces...good guys who did a little bloodshed here and there. Straight up bad guy. fine with me

• Like 2

WipeSide.png

I did, and that's what makes me excited to play as him. John Marston was the perfect Western anti-hero. Retreading that same ground would just be imitation. Playing as an out-and-out bad guy is going to be awesome.

This. I hope he is full tilt evil.

sigpic56202_2.gif

Is worse than GTA V's trio even possible?! ... I don't think so!

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Always expect the worst. Then you can be pleasantly surprised.

Moral degeneracy waits for no man.

Didnt like him at first because it remind me of generic Lincoln Clay, but still have high hope he wont be as sh*t as he seemed in a 1 minute trailer

Didnt like him at first because it remind me of generic Lincoln Clay, but still have high hope he wont be as sh*t as he seemed in a 1 minute trailer

Can you please explain? I keep hearing this but I don't get it at all. What about Arthur Morgan is the same as Lincoln Clay? I mean i personally think we haven't seen enough of Arthur to assess his character, but so far he just seems like an old school gangster type threatening people and beating asses, and loving what he does. where as Lincoln seems good at heart, loyal, and would've probably not been a killer if he felt like he had a choice.

I mean, there's multiple endings and a few choices, but going by the cut scenes and dialogue you cant control, this is how he was written to be.

He seems a hell alot nicer than Herbert Moon.

Herbert Moon was also a racist. lol. and antisemitic.

I think he looks like one of those cool protagonists when you first see him in the trailers, but when the game comes out he'll be insanely boring to play as.

Kinda like Michael from GTA V.

Edited by UAL
  • Like 3

Rockstar created Trevor in GTAV, so the large demographic of aggro, angsted, frustrated gamer assholes would have their very own protag asshole to identify with.

More than $3 billion later, Rockstar's thinking, "Damn, that sh*t Trevor character really worked out. All the kids are saying he's the best character in GTAV."

Then they continue the logic, "RDR2's gonna need some special juice to punch it up, since it doesn't have jets and supercars, so we're gonna have to create an even bigger asshole protag, for normal people to hate, so the growing demographic of loser permanent virgin gamers will adopt him as their hero. OK, so who's got some good ideas for creating a total asshole?"

"You're the only one of these fools that I trust."

Why would she trust him if he's a psychopath? By comparison, even Trevor's cronies were terrified of him. So far, we've only seen him act aggressively towards people who owe him money/bank staff. He might be a sociopath but that doesn't make him a psychopath.

Edited by Dick Justice

Raj The Rager

Wait, you're a expecting a loan sharking thug from Dutch's gang to be nice? Are you kidding? Besides, you don't know anything about the man, yet.

Edited by Raj Brunner

Pink Pineapple

Why would she trust him if he's a psychopath? By comparison, even Trevor's cronies were terrified of him. So far, we've only seen him act aggressively towards people who owe him money/bank staff. He might be a sociopath but that doesn't make him a psychopath.

She could have been talking to someone else.

• Like 3

Could have been talking to Marston.

Instant dislike? No. Trevor wasn't so much likeable as well. Arthur seems more nice than him. He ain't good when compared to Marston but that's just a different protagonist. One can't like each game's protag. That's just how it is. Doesn't stop you from playing though.

0rTqlCW.png

Intel Core i5-12400F | MSI MAG Z790 ACE | Adata XPG Gammix D30 16GB 3200MHz CL16
Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 80 Plus | MSI MAG FORGE M100A | ASUS Dual NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super EVO V2 OC | Samsung 870 EVO 500GB SATA SSD
WD Blue™ SATA SSD M.2 2280 500GB | Western Digital 1TB HDD | Cooler Master Hyper T20 CPU Air Cooler

T R U C I D O

Think people are forgetting that John Marston was not the kinda guy to help an old lady cross the road either

gonnaenodaethat

Arthur Morgan will eat realistic steak

Why did I come here?

Maybe It Wis Fir Thi Blether

Hunter S. Compton

Something that bothers me about all this conjecture about Arthur Morgan being is an asshole is that we have no idea who the people are that he is threatening. They've obviously engaged with his gang in some way; maybe they have outstanding gambling debts, maybe they borrowed money they couldn't pay back. I doubt he just as a ledger full of people who he just thinks it would be fun to kick around for cash...

The journey of discovery does not involve seeking new landscapes, but new eyes.

59dbb77c5cf20211887678.gif

Hunter S. Compton

I hope they don't go the tired route of "Bad man catching even worse men"

I'm not saying they're like evil bastards, just that they're probably not saints. I don't think you end up face to face with Arthur Morgan through good deeds.

The journey of discovery does not involve seeking new landscapes, but new eyes.

59dbb77c5cf20211887678.gif