1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Can Rockstar employees not be part of the forums?

WDR

Go to solution Solved by Vanzant,

Hi, I joined GTAForums way back in 2009. That was when I knew nothing about game development and wasn't even in college yet. But now I've been through college and I have also started working as a game developer in a reputed AAA company (I won't say its name but it's not Rockstar).

For a long time, something that hasn't been made clear to me and what I've heard according to rumours circulating around the forums, is that Rockstar employees or affiliated personnel are not allowed to post or participate in the forum community. Is that true? If it is, I guess it makes sense because fans don't want those people interfering or ruining their discussions. Furthermore, it would make more sense if a Rockstar employee made an account just to spite the community.

But what if it's people like me? Say, I keep changing companies (which is a common practice in the industry) and I end up at Rockstar. Would that mean I would be barred from participating in forum discussions? It's not like I made an account just to mess with community, I was a member for a long time. And furthermore, I wouldn't ruin people's fun while they make their speculations because I obviously wouldn't reveal information. I would have signed an NDA with Rockstar and doing that would put my career on the line. But I still would be enthusiastic to share my excitement, etc. with the rest of the community because I've been a fan of the GTA series and the RDR series for a long time.

Please clarify this for me. I don't want to cause an issue in the future with my confusion and misunderstanding of the forum rules. Thank you.

Well, there was a R* employee here helping people with GTA IV. Officially. @Rockstar Toronto was the account name. He provided GTA IV based help and support. So, I don't think there's any rule which forbids people from R* from participating at GTAForums. For all you may or may not know, there might be an employee lurking around GTAF, all anonymous. Pretty sure community feedback is important for the devs at R*. The forum rules do not forbid it as well. Pretty sure that staff be elated to welcome any authentic R* employee.

etdkFNo.gif

i5 10400F • MSI H410M Pro • XPG 16GB DDR4 3000MHz •

Gigabyte GTX 1070 • ANT eSports Ice 511MT • Cooler Master MWE 650 V2

'course they can, not sure why people would say otherwise. There was an official Rockstar Toronto account from my understanding during GTA IV's release, that helped with PC problems.

gwZr6Zc.png

Nah, that one was used for more...nefarious purposes.

• Like 1

gwZr6Zc.png

I don't think this is a policy from the forum staff, but rather R* themselves. Of course that wouldn't stop you from doing so in your free time at home, as long as you don't get caught;)

Not quite the same, but I remember shortly after the V launch on PS3, the voice actor from Lamar joined and even posted proof, he was gone within a day I believe, R* told him so presumably.

• Like 4

If they can't, I can see why. Rockstar is a pretty secretive company when it comes to future plans, so they may not like someone from inside interacting with the community so closely, in case they accidentally leak something. But we may never know, chances are there are Rockstar employees, maybe the Housers themselves, lurking around this forum in unsuspecting accounts not wanting to be noticed. Also understandable, can you imagine being messaged every 5 seconds by someone wanting to know the next GTA:Online DLC or asking to make the next GTA in Vice City?

• Like 1

• Solution

I don't think this is a policy from the forum staff, but rather R* themselves. Of course that wouldn't stop you from doing so in your free time at home, as long as you don't get caught;)

Not quite the same, but I remember shortly after the V launch on PS3, the voice actor from Lamar joined and even posted proof, he was gone within a day I believe, R* told him so presumably.

Not at all. Slinks been extremely busy with his TV show.

There's nothing wrong with anyone joining a public forum. I imagine if you spend 10-12 hours a day working at RockStar the last thing you'd want to do in your free time to unwind is join a forum about the very work you do.

fV9tG4b.gif