Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,986 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Hell No..

The Book Topic

GTA3Freak-2001

Just started reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, my local Library doesn't even have one copy of it would you believe! It's a Pulitzer award winning novel from 2006, it should be there! I ended up grabbing a ebook version on my ipod using the Stanza ebook reader and so far I am liking the book although the writing style is a bit odd, McCarthy uses a lot of short sentences and it's sometimes awkward to read.

fox09

Shantaram is up there as one of my favorite books. Incredible writing, I've never been more attached to the characters in a novel than in this. It's too bad the ending sucks.

Ishmael is a novel about a telepathically communicating gorilla who puts an ad in a paper. Yeah. Though, it's not so much a story as it is an explanation for everything that's wrong with the world and our society. Very thought-provoking.

Jean Capel

Well, currently I'm reading a 'fluff' book. It's "The Firm" by John Grisham. It's light reading, but it's still quite enjoyable.

Sillyhed2000

Shantaram was an absolutely beautiful, incredible, amazing book. Definately one of my all-time favourites. What didn't you like about the ending, fox09? I can't remember specifics, but I remember thinking it ended the way it started; with Karla. I was a bit dissapointed they never got together, but it just goes to show it's not a fairytale. She was a tortured soul. This is why I think the book is essentially a love story; the story begins and ends with her, and once she is gone, there is simply nothing more to tell.

I'm just about to finish reading Stalingrad by Antony Beever. It's a brilliant narrative of the second world war - particularly the German invasion of Russia, beginning at the start of the invasion and ending soon after the complete defeat of the Sixth Army. I never thought I'd like something like this because I thought it would get bogged down with troop movements and locations. However, although it is necessary to give you an overarching idea of where the front line is, it never gets bogged down. The author has done an astounding amount of research - letters, diaries, interviews, etc - and the text has so many haunting, sickening and awful anecdotes, excerpts and recollections. It really brings it home on an individual, personal level, rather than becoming statistical and cold. Not to mention brilliant and intruiging use of the english language. Best described on the back cover as "Bedtime reading only for men who do not dream."

I *was* reading (stupid library and their stupid overdue fees) Dining with Terrorists by Phil Rees, which delves into the modern lexicon of what exactly a 'terrorist' is. For most part, the book documents his travels and meetings with high-profile terrorists in different parts of the world, such as Afghanistan, Algeria and Columbia. He writes with real flair yet has an excellent mind for analytical thinking. What I particularly enjoyed was that he never assumes too much knowledge of the reader and explains plenty of background information for each conflict so that you don't have to read a history book to understand it. It's also very interesting to read it as a history book for the same reason.

rnz1369

Great topic, i like reading a bit myself. I just finished all three books of cody mcfayden (dont know if anyone mentioned them yet) Shadow Man, Face of Death and The Darker Side . The first two are in my top ten of books, the last one is good as well, but not as good as the first two.

BLTZKRG

I'm currently reading 'Point of Impact' by Stephen Hunter. I must say it is good stuff, although at some times a simple event such as turning on a radio gets so dragged out it reaches 2 pages. But at least it keeps me entertained every second of the action, unlike the movie adaptation by Lorenzo diBuenaventura and Mark Wahlberg. It was so boring and out of the book's story, and backed up with a lousy title.

'Shooter'

lame ass name for a movie

makeshyft

Shantaram was essentially the longest poem ever written. The language floats from page to page, and is quite musical at times. The small section of prose which serves as a tribute to Prabaker was simply beautiful and touching.

I know there are plans to turn it into a movie, but surely it's too involved for a single film.

TheLastGentleman24

OHMYGOSH. I can't believe I forgot. Anyone every read "Nowhere Man" by Aleksandar Hemon? It's this great book filled with intertwining stories that all revolve around a Bosnian immigrant who comes to Chicago just as war is breaking out at home. SO AWESOME. The author's style is very interesting as, having learned the English language in 3 months, and then writing his first book, he uses words in a way that we probably never imagined they could be used.

asimov

I've almost finished The Fellowship of the Ring. It's been a great read so far, I found it hard to get into at the start but once I did I could barely put it down. The level of detail Tolkien goes into with character and race history is amazing.

Doink
I've read the Harry Potter series, it's awesome. All the characters were roughly the same age as me in all the books too. I must've read through that series 3 or 4 times.

That's also what I loved about the books. The characters stayed roughly around the same age as me, which was pretty dang cool when I was 12-16.

I'm about to start reading the Watchmen graphic novel for the 2nd time. Absolutely a brilliant, complex piece of work.

fox09
What didn't you like about the ending, fox09? I can't remember specifics, but I remember thinking it ended the way it started; with Karla. I was a bit dissapointed they never got together, but it just goes to show it's not a fairytale. She was a tortured soul. This is why I think the book is essentially a love story; the story begins and ends with her, and once she is gone, there is simply nothing more to tell.

That wasn't the problem. As far as Karla is concerned, I thought it was a great way to end it. The thing that disappointed me was the fact that he ended the book just as he was about to leave to go off onto another adventure. I know this sets everything up for the sequel that is supposed to be coming, but it just made the ending feel like an arbitrary cut-off to a larger arch in the story.

asimov

I just took delivery of Rum Diary off of eBay, man I love that site. Once I've finished the LotR trilogy I'll get started on it. I'm up to the Twin Towers now, it's such a great series I don't know why I never read it.

Hell No..

Got The Road today and started reading it...I'm about 50 pages in...

Wow...

ScratchCard

Intresting topic.

user posted image

I might read a book this summer.

Zotak

Good topic.

I'm a Jules Verne fan, and I'm currently reading "Twenty thousand leagues under the sea". I've read most of his novels and that men was real visioner in my opinion, impressive.

Another one I recently read was "The third eye" by Lobsang Rampa(A british men who claims to be the reincarnation of a Lama, haha) awesome book nonetheless.

SilentM

Sorry, didn't read much of the thread as I'm not a big reader -- it wouldn't help anyway. However, I would like to bring House of Leaves to light.

Honestly.

Read it.

GTA3Freak-2001

Wow...

Ah great, just finished it myself and despite the writing style being a bit weird at times the actual story was fantastic and what's better is the fact the movie adaption is due out in October!

Going back to the writing style though, did you find you needed to constantly reread sections to get who said what?

Hell No..

Haha yeah I do sometimes. Not knowing who started a conversation off.

Blind Joe Death

I can definitely relate to what you are saying GTA3Freak. While it was generally clear as to who was saying what, it did sometimes get a little bit confusing - especially during long conversations where I would sometimes forget who's turn it was to speak.

Lucky there isn't much dialogue throughout the book then, eh.

Hell No..

I've been reading about 2 hours worth since yesterday and I am about half way through. I don't think I have ever read a book this quickly because I've been so stuck into it. Amazing.

I think I find it easier to read because it is paragraphed and split up. I prefer it.

-------

I think Viggo suits the part pretty well:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Hell No..

Omnia sunt Communia

I'm on my way into town in a second and I think I'm going to pick up a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. I read an article about his post-humous legacy in The Observer today and work and thought that his Millenium Trilogy looked quite interesting (from what they mentioned of it). I'll report back with my thoughts once I've began reading the novel.

Breaking Bohan

Wow...

Ah great, just finished it myself and despite the writing style being a bit weird at times the actual story was fantastic and what's better is the fact the movie adaption is due out in October!

Going back to the writing style though, did you find you needed to constantly reread sections to get who said what?

I really enjoyed that book - but if you look at the previews for the film you might be more reserved in your enthusiasm, as the preview looks kinda lame. (It actually looks like they make "global warming" the cause of humanity's ills .... )

GTA3Freak-2001

I haven't seen the trailer yet but I did read about how some people have used the book as some sort of climate change propaganda thing even Cormac being awarded some silly "People to Save the World from Climate Change" award. To me that's missing the point of the book entirely, not knowing how the world went to hell is part of what made the book work so well and I hope the movie does not ignore this fact.

Anyway I've started reading Harry Turtledove's "Settling Accounts: Return Engage" which is one of those alternate history type novels this one set where the Civil War never really ended and so you've got the USA fighting the CSA but in the 1940's so you've got other crazy things happening like Great Britain declaring war on the United States etc.

supermortalhuman

The lady and I are reading "what about the big stuff" by richard carlson to each other. He wrote don't sweat the small stuff... and it's all small stuff as well. This is his follow up. I disagree with him less often in this one, and so far I find it profound in that way. He is saying all of the things my analytical mind said about what he wrote before this, and it puts the philosophy into a larger pill - which I tend to require. It is interesting to say the least, because he wrote it for the people like me it seems, and it's not really getting through... I am not feeling his assumptions about the soul and body, and body mind connections. But his words are well though out, and it's a good book with tiny chapters of quick, no nonsense, yet still technical enough to be engaging, empowerment.

Blind Joe Death

Wow...

I really enjoyed that book - but if you look at the previews for the film you might be more reserved in your enthusiasm, as the preview looks kinda lame. (It actually looks like they make "global warming" the cause of humanity's ills .... )

I don't really mind too much, it still remains as one of my most anticipated films of the year. I doubt they will talk about the reason too much in the movie, but I'm sure they will make it look like global warming's fault.

Judging by the trailer it also looks like the wife will play a larger part in the movie than the book. I wonder if they will do what they do in the book and relate to what happened with the wife in flashbacks or move along in chronological order. I personally hope they follow the book as much as possible.

Hell No..

Yeah I noticed that too. I'm not sure about her being in it so much...unless what we see of her in the trailer are just flashbacks.

Got around 50 pages left. Best book I've read. Thanks to all who suggested it.

GTA3Freak-2001

I can say that its the first movie or trailer for a movie based on a book that I could see a scene and say for sure it was faithful to the book so I do trust that the whole global warming crap is simply used in the trailer and trailer only or if worst comes to worst just briefly at the start of the film. The cast for me sounds pretty good, Viggo fits the part easily and Guy Pearce and Robert Duvall too. I am not keen on Charlize Theron so I am hoping they don't expand on the wife flashbacks!

Hell No..

Finished it...

I nearly shed a tear

That was just brilliant.

Blind Joe Death

Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did Hell No, it truly is a masterpiece. I also almost shed a tear. wink.gif

...all this talk of The Road is making me want to give it another read. I might just do that this weekend.