Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,920 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Hell No..

The Book Topic

unopieceo
Edit: Holy crap. I haven't had an unintentional double-post since the old Error-500 days... Maybe THEY'RE BACK?! catspider.gif

I saw someone make a quintuple thread post in the mod showroom, I don't think the gtaf server is doing well.

Warplay3r
I've started reading again. I'm a pain in the ass when it comes to sitting down and getting into a book. I find it very hard to do so. But I did and I'm getting through it. I started Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. I've read the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons (before the films) and loved them, and even though this is totally different, plot wise and characters, I'm enjoying it very much. I hope I can finish this and then move on to Deception Point and get that done by the time his new book comes out in September time.

P.S, Whats this Moby Dick like? I know it's a childrens book, but I've seen 2 films now where a character reads it! Anyone?

Dan Brown is an excellent writer! I applause you for reading through his books. icon14.gif.

As for Moby Dick, it took me a while to read it, about three months overall. It is a superb book, the way it is was written with all of the metaphors and such was just astonishing. At first, it is a quite hard read, but you get used to it as you read more and more, and then you start to appreciate it. And what's crazy is that you think it's just a story about a whale, but it's not, it's much more then that. It's a tale of black & white (good & evil), and makes you really think at your times. This novel makes you travel to the depths of your brain, and you'll find yourself thinking for hours on end. Great book. Reccomended, really.

As for myself, I've been taking an interest in Sherlock Holmes short stories, and A Study in Scarlet alongside with The Sign of Four. Holmes' deduction skills shown in the book are absolutely amazing, I might add. And with such vivid detail, it's hard not to imagine the characters right in front of you, acting out as you read the book.

Probably after my Sherlock Holmes readings, I will proceed to a novel entitled "The Road." Which is an epic tale of surivival of a young son and father, stranded in a post-apocalyptic lands. It is very like Fallout 3, and my close friend drew me into the book and I took a peak at it. I say, it looks rather interesting.

I'll keep ya guys updated.

Abel.
I really need to finish reading George Orwell's 1984.

You bet your mo'f*ckin ass you do.

Come to think of it, i need to re-read that beaut.

Ever read animal farm?

Yes, brilliant political satire, resembles human rebellion and political structure with a bit of sly humour, too.

Hell No..

Dan Brown is an excellent writer! I applause you for reading through his books.  icon14.gif.

Yep just finished it... That's the 3rd one of his I've read, 1 more left... Deception Point...

Digital Fortress was awesome!!

Might have a change of author before then though.

Omnia sunt Communia
I really need to finish reading George Orwell's 1984. I started it months ago and I was really getting into it, I'm not sure how I managed to lose interest. The quarter of the book I'd read was great.

As do I. I went through a stage of reading about five chapters a day in the course of three/four hours (I'm not a very fast reader). Though one day, all of a sudden, I just stopped. I think it had something to do with the long passages of text that make up Goldstein's book, as read by Winston. I really, really, really need to finish it. I'm almost onto the final part.

Vanzant

I like books, The last One I bought was Smashed by Koren Zailckas I have never finished it but I would recommend it.

When I was Nine............ISH? Uhh Anyways, Remember Those books with choose your paths? Those we're and still are f*cking cool. I have one based on a James Bond Movie, pick the wrong page and you are f*ckED! I also remember renting from the Library these Choose your path books that inculded a Map on the First page with weapons you could tick off and earn to progress.

I know "Where's Waldo?" don't count much as a book, but Those were f*cking awesome!

makeshyft
When I was Nine............ISH? Uhh Anyways, Remember Those books with choose your paths? Those we're and still are f*cking cool. I have one based on a James Bond Movie, pick the wrong page and you are f*ckED!

Haha... yeah, choose your own adventure books were the absolute sh*t. I had one in which you had to catch the Red Baron. So much fun, that one.

Omnia sunt Communia

Do they even make those anymore? sad.gif

makeshyft

Probably not, because today's kids are illiterate idiots.

Doink
When I was Nine............ISH? Uhh Anyways, Remember Those books with choose your paths? Those we're and still are f*cking cool. I have one based on a James Bond Movie, pick the wrong page and you are f*ckED!

Haha... yeah, choose your own adventure books were the absolute sh*t. I had one in which you had to catch the Red Baron. So much fun, that one.

I was absolutely hooked on the choose your own scare Goosebumps books.

Pr0xy_fl00d3r

I was absolutely hooked on the choose your own scare Goosebumps books.

They were brilliant, they had loads of those in my local library when I was a kid.

I mainly read a lot of Stephen king books, my personal favourite has to be Pet Sematary, his books are too gripping, from the minuite I open one of his books I find myself indulged in it for hours.

This reminds me, I need to start reading more.

Doink

Yeah, same here proxy.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty much a mainstream reader, if anything.

Some favorite books:

A Clockwork Orange

Harry Potter series

Watership Down

Anything by Stephen King

Panz

I loved those Goosebumps books. I was so young, though, that I'd just page to each different choice because I hated getting a crappy ending.

I really couldn't get into the Harry Potter books. I love the movies, but I guess it's the writing style or something that couldn't hook me into the first book. I tried a few times years ago, so maybe I'll give it another go. As we all know, the books tend to be way better than the movies.

Bigs

I'm quite fond of Kurt Vonnegut books and John Steinbeck books especially. They're in a league of their own regarding my favorite authors.

I've also dabbled in Huxley and Orwell as have others, but I mainly stick to non-fiction as of the past few years.

rappo

kurt vonnegut indeed! i own/have read almost every one of his books, really a great author. my favorites are Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions

also another one of my favorite authors is Anthony Burgess. many of you have probably read A Clockwork Orange but not really ventured into any of his other books. he has a huge amount of great novels, my favs (besides clockwork orange, that is) are M/F and The Wanting Seed

Pr0xy_fl00d3r

I dont see the appeal with Harry Potter, I read the first one years ago, thought it sucked. Even then, I've only seen the first film. They just seem like glorified kiddies books to me. confused.gif Well, thats coming from a guy who's first proper novel was Stephen King - The Dead Zone, when I was 12. dontgetit.gif

Don Garcia

I can still remember being in Elementary School, and almost every kid in my class bringing The Sorcerer's Stone to class. Like, everyone had a copy, it blew my mind. Potter Mania...

I took one look at the girth of the book, and said 'forget it.' They seem so long in length to me still, back then those books must've looked like dictionaries.

asimov

I've read the Harry Potter series, it's awesome. All the characters were roughly the same age as me in all the books too. I must've read through that series 3 or 4 times.

Breaking Bohan

THe Cat Who Trailed a Thief - by Lilian Jackson Braun

It's a killer read - and it has cats in it!

33stradale
Do they even make those anymore? sad.gif

replaced by video games and those poorly made "activities" on youtube...

all the better, fiction reading is just inferior to visual demonstration - i know book adaptations are often really sh*t (for example, everything by stephen king except the shining) but when a book needs to make a point it has describe things surrounding that point which can simply be shown on a screen... you wanna man to fall of a ledge you don't say have to mention that he was standing on a ledge (because we see it)

right now i'm reading some kafka shorts (good) and plays by federico lorca... it's made bearable if you read the dialogue with a comical spanish accent in your head

asimov

What? There is considerably more detail in a book as compared to a movie, it just takes imagination which you clearly lack.

Whenever I go to see a visual adaptation of book in the back of my head I know I'll be let down by certain missing plotlines, locations and characters that just don't fit in the timeframe movies get. I'm not saying books are "superior" to films, they're just a completely different medium.

Omnia sunt Communia

I believe that literature is a higher form of storytelling than any form of visual art. Why? Because you can say so much more with words. It's true that a picture can paint a 1,000 words but a 1,000 words can tell 1,000,000 stories. When you watch a film you are doing that; watching a film. With a story you can get inside the character's head a lot easier. You can tell a story with a lot more fluidity and not rely so much on dialogue while focusing on action and progressing the story.

Chang

"Wolf Of The Plains" - The Epic Story of the Great Conqueror by Conn Iggulden.

The firstings book in a series of perhaps 7 books. Hands down best historical fiction writer goings....4th book comings out in 2010

smile.gif I Chang

makeshyft
all the better, fiction reading is just inferior to visual demonstration

icon13.gif

I really couldn't disagree more. It's apples and oranges, really, but if I were to have to choose between reading for the rest of my life or having the images put in front of me via TV or film, I'm going to go with reading.

As I said, though, it's apples and oranges. Film is such a valuable medium, and despite initially being more about glances than gaze, TV is really coming into its own as a legitimate art form.

Is one more inherently valuable than the other? No, not really. They are two very different ways of conveying stories and ideas. Depending on what you're really trying to achieve, presenting something visually may be the way to go. Other times, the printed word is the perfect delivery method.

I own some books that would definitely not work visually.

lord sh...t-head

Me no re""ed know red hury potter,,,

Just kidding. devil.gif

Right now i'm reading "The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge"

by Carlos Castaneda.

Nice book. icon14.gif

rampage!

I've read a few of her books. Qwilleran has his hands full with those mystery-solving cats.

Breaking Bohan

I've read a few of her books. Qwilleran has his hands full with those mystery-solving cats.

And I thought I was the only one! blush.gif

I admit it's one of my guilty little pleasures.

rampage!

No reason to feel guilty, they're good reads!

Hell No..

Anyone wanna sell me their "The Road" book? tounge.gif Haha.

I might also go and pick up Gears of War. It's got some tidy reviews and sounds good. I want to read the MGS Novel also.

Warplay3r

Aspho Fields was a very good Gears of War book. I didn't get the chance to pick up Jacinto's Remnant, but I heard that was good aswell. The swapping time periods is actually a bit confusing, but you get used to it as it goes throughout the book. If you are a fan of the Gears of War series, it is defiently reccomended you pick this up.

...Oh yeah, and I heard 'The Road' is a great book, and I might pick it up after my finish of my current read.