2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Hell No..

The Book Topic

na89340qv0n34b09q340
Also, I was thinking of reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It sounds good but is it good? I read a few negative reviews that the writing style isn't good. Can anyone please help me out?

My grandmother enjoyed the book, she said the other books in the Millennium series were a lot better than the first one though (Playing With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.) I haven't read any of them, so I can't give you much of an opinion besides that.

Hell No..

Got myself a Kindle. Loving it. It's giving me my motivation to read again as I can just pick it up and select whichever book I want to read.

I'm currently reading Imhotep. I love egyptian history, and this fiction story is great.

Master of San Andreas

I'm reading Eragon and it's really very boring.The Prologue is good but the rest of the starting seems pretty flat.The middle parts seems nice so I'm just gonna force myself to read until I reach the interesting parts.The story's not bad just boring.

Anyone else read it?

the_grizzly_man
Anyone here ever read any Phillip K. Dick? I read Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? a couple weeks ago and really liked it, but can I expect his other novels to be as good? Specifically I want to maybe pick up Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, and The Man in the High Castle.

Can't really go wrong with PKD books. My faves are Radio Free Albemuth and Valis. Scanner Darkly is also brilliant - bleak but very funny in parts.

AceRay
I'm reading Eragon and it's really very boring.The Prologue is good but the rest of the starting seems pretty flat.The middle parts seems nice so I'm just gonna force myself to read until I reach the interesting parts.The story's not bad just boring.

Anyone else read it?

You realize that's basically fanfiction written by a 19 year old, right?

Master of San Andreas
I'm reading Eragon and it's really very boring.The Prologue is good but the rest of the starting seems pretty flat.The middle parts seems nice so I'm just gonna force myself to read  until I reach the interesting parts.The story's not bad just boring.

Anyone else read it?

You realize that's basically fanfiction written by a 19 year old, right?

15 actually and yes I do realize,Did you like it?

H.I.M.

Anyone else read it?

That dragon one. Yep. Pretty boring to me. Try The Village by The Sea. It's an Indian story. A pretty realistic and heart gripping novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Village_by_the_Sea

Pyrrhic

Sorry for ze bamp.

I'm reading How To Lie With Statistics by Darrel Huff at the moment. Free download from some sight or other. Fantastic read so far, I'm aiming for a Bachelor of Science majoring in Statistics so it definitely fits within my interests.

Highly recommend it to anyone who sounds slightly intrigued by it. icon14.gif

Wolf of Badenoch

Think Me Back

user posted image

I remember reading this in high school. It has stuck with me ever since.

Here's the basic summary:

A supernatural mystery based on the Clydebank Blitz. Pete's whole family has suddenly and unexpectedly moved from London to Scotland and in their new house he hears unexplained voices. He meets new friends in the abandoned air raid shelter in the back garden but gradually realises that all is not as it seems. Something very strange happens and through a series of supernatural events he gains real experience of the panic, tragedy and loss of the 1941 Blitz. Finally, a mystery of more than fifty years is solved by his courage and resourcefulness. The story is told with realism, poignancy and humour and Catherine Forde, in this her first novel, shows a great capacity for following and understanding the emotions and thoughts of young minds.
Edited by Valenta

Neon_Dreaming

I am currently nearly finished Anansi boys by Neil Gaiman, would strongly recommend, very funny and a unique premise, apparently his American Gods is highly regarded so I might try that.

Also reading book one in the Dark Towers series by Stephen King, enjoying it but not sure If im in it for the long run considering there is seven plus books.

Femme Fatale

I've been thinking a lot about re-reading one of Dahmer's biographies, but I can't find it anywhere :(...Google Play doesn't have it, but it does have other ones about him, so I guess I can read one of those instead....Another book I'm interested in reading is Nothing is Strange With You: The Life and Crimes of Gordon Stewart Northcott...I'm not a fan of him, but I've always viewed him as an interesting individual ever since I watched Changeling...

Constant K
NYpkP6wl.jpg Edited by Mr.Monk

Neon_Dreaming

I recall seeing bits and pieces of The Odessa File film, I might check the library for the book.

DarkSavageDeathlyCloud

I didn't even knew we had this thread.

That being said, this is my collection of favorite books i got and with favorite i mean the ones that in my mind are my personal bibles.

M3qWQCf.jpg

Besides that, i really like most of the Pendergast novels written by Preston & Child, except for a few exceptions.

englishharry

yo...

everyone should check out this book "Knives Taste Better Than Spoons" on amazon... its so f*cking odd... but in a good way. Not for the easily offended either...

Constant K
hCh5sma.jpg

K1FFLOM

For me there is only one book:

H.G. Welles "The War of the Worlds".

Have read the book countless times.

I own both first releases which were printed as monthly installments in the "Pearsons" and "Cosmopolitan" magazines, before the initial book was released. The series started in Autumn 1897 and ended in Spring 1898. The story included some fabulous illustrations. The picture of the "flying machine", which Welles mentions in his story is most likely the very first of a spaceship in modern literature. We are talking 6 years before the Wright Brothers and a decade before a " common" aeroplane design. Oh, and 2 years before a car was driving 100 kph and the word "streamline" was not put into the same sentence with "public transport".

Which gave the illustrator a wide horizon for it's design/visuals.

Not to mention the design of the martian tripods....

And also in my collection is the very first bound and also illustrated version of the book from 1898. Sadly the picture of the "flying machine" was not used in it. It was probably way to progressive at the time for the mainstream reader, when even the thought of extraterrestrials was unheard of. Nerver mind -flying- extraterrestrials.

The 1897 version of the story is the best, as since the release of the book in 1898, the story was shortened and interesting parts had been left out. Parts of which made some people in Britain so angry that they demonstrated outside "Pearsons" publishing house and even made others damage kiosks which sold the magazine at the time....

Edited by K1FFLOM

Davo the Assassin

For those of you who haven't, read Tolstoy's War and Peace. It's an undertaking, but easily one of the best books I've ever read.

And then read Vassily Grossman's Life and Fate, if you want to feel emotionally drained.

K1FFLOM

I have "War and Peace". But so far, never had the time to read it....

Someday. Someday....

But going in this direction (Imperial Russia) John Boyne's novel "The House of Special Purpose" is a breath of fresh air.

If you only have the slightest interest in history ... and have heard of (The Grand Duchess) Anastasia (Nikolaevna Romanova).

Well, then this book is a must-read.

Edited by K1FFLOM

Neptune Homme

It looks like this topic could use a kick up the arse, so we'll use it to discuss what we're currently reading and what we think of it. Please keep spoilers to a minimum and when possible, use the spoiler tags so we don't ruin anybody's day. I've just finished Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes.

cover-look-whos-back.jpg

My interest was piqued a year or so back when I first saw a translated edition in stores. The front was adorned with such inflating statements from journalists and reviewers who were keen to reinforce just how offensive this book was. Whilst I understand how older generations would be disgusted by such a comical portrayal of one of the most lauded and heinous figures in history, the effect was lost on me. I read this not long after it came out, and I thought I'd give it another chance. Unfortunately, the novelty quickly wears thin. Most of the comedy relies heavily on people assuming our protagonist isn't the real Hitler. Some mildly amusing back-and-forthery occurs peppered with mistranslation and that's about it - "you're not Hitler though", "yes I am" and round we go again by the time the next character swans in. The only genuinely amusing moments in this book for me are the borderline adorable ways Herr Hitler confuses modern household appliances such as televisions and computer keyboards. Not only could this be applied to anyone from the 1940s but it doesn't serve to Hitler's character at all. As shocking as I can imagine this book would be to an elderly man or woman growing up under the shadow of Hitler, I found it uninspired and flat with little plot progression and with characters that left no impact on me. All Hitler seems to do is chastise them for poorly representing Germany. They either flush in the face or applaud him for his "honesty".

This book indeed wants to be shocking but you could pick any figure of controversy and write a similar book. The moments of offence are borderline caricature and are lost in the dense descriptions of what feel like miniature history lessons. What this says about Hitler is unclear, but I was ultimately left wondering if they were deliberately inflated for humour or left for delusional posterity. Ultimately, this book wasn't written to appeal to me and I understand that.

Cosmic Gypsy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knives-Taste-Better-Than-Spoons/dp/1521040990/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1505914151&sr=1-1&keywords=knives+taste+better+than+spoons

My friend wrote a book. Published by Amazon, coloured copy is a tenner, black and white copy is £7, there is also a cheaper kindle version. The books f*cked up for the sake of being f*cked up and is not for the politically correct/easily offended.

It's about Peter Peterson from Peterborough and his journey to gain enlightenment from Steven Stevenson from Stevenage. (Yes those are real place names, and only like an hour journey on the train in real life i think). This book is written in a whimsically twisted way with a unique writing style. With a whole lot of offensive nonsense and random bullsh*t thrown in.

EDIT: Bahahaa, my friend already posted just a bit up the page.

Edited by Cosmic Gypsy

Neptune Homme

So, whilst I was on holiday I learned about a book known as The Codex Gigas, also known as "The Devil's Bible". This isn't something you could curl up with on a sun lounger.

5908668-3x2-580x387.jpg

As is the case with mysterious objects like this, the reality is as bizarre as the legend. According to the myth, a monk called Herman The Recluse broke his monastic vows and was sentenced to be walled up alive. In order to avoid this harsh penalty he promised to create in one night a book to glorify the monastery forever, including all human knowledge. Near midnight, he became sure that he could not complete this task alone so he made a special prayer, not addressed to God but to the fallen angel Lucifer, asking him to help him finish the book in exchange for his soul. The Devil completed the manuscript and the monk added the Devil's picture out of gratitude for his aid. It's a lovely bedtime story, but the strange thing is the writing itself is remarkably even and consistent, meaning it appears to have actually been written by one man or woman in a stunningly short amount of time. For context, it is estimated that reproducing only the calligraphy, without any of the illustrations or embellishments, would have taken five years of non-stop writing.

This behemoth of a book has actually injured somebody too - in 1697, a fire broke out at the royal castle in Stockholm, and the Royal Library suffered terribly. The codex was rescued from the flames by being thrown out of a window. This damaged the binding and knocked loose some pages which are still missing today. According to the vicar Johann Erichsons, the codex landed on and injured a bystander.

6515045023_31f712b217_b.jpg

universetwisters

51rAjTmXUfL.jpg

This is literally the greatest novel I read. I bought it in 2008 and I was in hysterics reading it. Almost 10 years later I still get a chuckle out of it. It's dumb but at least it knows it's dumb. Also the dude who wrote it also wrote Real Ultimate Power so if you like that sense of humor, you'll like this. Seriously, f*cking read it. It's only like 9 bucks on amazon.

Neptune Homme

It does sound interesting, I've never heard of Trey Hamburger. Why would I have? His author bio is a man in a ninja suit. He clearly doesn't want to be seen. I usually have to be in the mood for daft fiction but I'll stick it in a wish list for later.

Recently decided to give Robert Rankin a go, or more specifically, his Brentford trilogy which curiously isn't made up of three books - it's made up of nine. I've owned a couple of them for a number of years but they've been rotting on the shelf for so long I can't remember where I got them from and why I'd decide in my infinite wisdom to buy books from a series without starting from the beginning. I've been told it doesn't matter where you start from, and I don't deny they're probably good books but I like order. This isn't Discworld, y'know.

As a result, I bought The Antipope for a couple of quid on Amazon a week or so back.

Robert_Rankin_-_The_Antipope.jpg

Chang

Went down to the bookstore today. Saw A Game of Thrones there. I've heard a lot about it. It sounds good but I wanna know if its like The Lord of The Rings. The books were great but too slow in my opinion. Is it slow like it?

Also, I was thinking of reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It sounds good but is it good? I read a few negative reviews that the writing style isn't good. Can anyone please help me out?

Thanks!

Just finished readings TGWTDT and highly recommend it. Most def read the first one before the others. Top notch writing and character development. Can get a little confusing with the family members (there are so many Vangers, but works) Lisbeth Salandar is awesome. Ready to see the movie now and as always recommend the book first!! Enjoy!

Currently re-reading "Wolf of the Plains" Conn Iggulden about the great khan and mongols. It's in my Top 3 books.

:) I Chang

Jack_Jack
Posted (edited)
I can advise you several books to read, which I really liked.

mxuLfibPw3XBZdnQY9LbNCg.jpg250px-Michael_Moorcock%27s_Multiverse_01bfea6ef10d0d561b901421bb1b47da2f.jpg

And I need your help. Who can suggest good resources to prepare for geography tests? Or who can write a thesis for me? Thank you in advance!

Edited by Jack_Jack

River God
Posted (edited)

To be honest, I enjoyed pretty much all of that novel. Each to their own, I guess.

Edited by Hakuma

ThatKyloRenGuy

Books are just like video games, TV shows, and movies. There's good ones and there's bad ones. Some of my favorite books include the Holy Bible (as I'm a Christian), The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling, Beowulf, The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien, and The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. With Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan, I've only read the first one and thought it was pretty good! :) Other books I really like are Of Sound Mind by Jean Farris and Painting the Black by Carl Deuker. Of Sound Mind is this book about a high school senior named Theo who is the only hearing member of an all deaf family. He also meets a girl his age named Ivy who has a deaf father. Painting the Black is about a 17-year-old boy whose a senior in high school named Ryan Ward. He hadn't played baseball in a long time and had no one else his age living in his neighborhood until this guy named Josh Daniels shows up. I overall didn't really like Josh and thought he was kind of a meathead but you'll have to read the whole book in order to find out why. I find BOTH of those books to be INCREDIBLY great! I highly recommend them to my friends, both here on GTAForums as well as IRL. Now, to some of my least favorite books, A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines, Shift by Jennifer Bradbury, Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson, and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt. I had the misfortune of reading those in school. Asking which one I want to read first is like putting someone up in front of four different types of venomous snakes and asking which one you want to be bitten by first.  A Lesson Before Dying was nothing short of dark, gloomy, and boring, but it was actually my favorite of these four! Read it and you'll take my word for it! I'm not giving anything away! However, after reading it, it should make you absolutely terrified about the other three. Comparing Shift to Catalyst and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is basically like comparing taking just a small crap to taking a major crap. At the end of the day, it's still crap. This book was very boring, annoying, and dumb. If you want to read it you can but don't say I didn't warn you! Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is a nonfiction book set in Savannah, Georgia, United States. A common characteristic this book shares with the other three bad ones I mentioned: If you don't mind the dark or offensive humor, these books are freaking BORING! Catalyst is just the worst! It deserves to be lost or forgotten! I know you should respect others' opinions, but in the case of this, I just don't know how ANYONE can like it! Read it and you'll know EXACTLY what I'm talking about!

realarmy

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned 1984 or Brave New World. Those are a must read.