4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
chronic lumbago

[Spoiler Warning?] Possible story leak?

chronic lumbago

I don't want to be that guy to spread false rumors, but I haven't seen it mentioned around the forums so I thought I'd share.

Apparently, a guy leaked some RDR2 story-related info a few months back.

Now, he predicted one thing right - the protagonist. He knew the protag is going to be Arthur, or so it seems.

The original post of his has since then been deleted, but a reddit user found snippets of the information.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/734wy8/awhile_ago_user_ureddeadinsider_accurately/

Thoughts? Be careful, if this turns out to be true, you might spoil yourself. Personally, I'm always sceptical about R* leaks. We've seen dozens of bullsh*t "ex-employee" stories on gtaforums.

Galehaut

Surprisingly , this one seems very probable. We could play a prequel , sidequel , sequel all together.

Weirdly enough , it kinda reminds me of an old SEGA Genesis RPG called Phantasy Star 3. The story line of that game spanned on multiple generations. You would literally start over again 2 times during the course of the game , years after the previous events , playing the kids of your previous heroes.

For RDR2 , I could imagine the game starting before RDR1 with events that would lead us during the course of the first game until the end of it. ( we already know that Arthur meets Jack shortly after his father was killed. )

Then the protagonists could be finally caught for his crimes , jailed for x number of years which would permit the narrative to transfer on another protagonist completely for a while.

The game could then resume years after RDR1 when our first protagonist finds a way out of captivity. ( It could even be the second protagonist or a new one / old one freeing him during an heist. )

Let's not forget that we already know that there will be a fine line between antagonists and protagonists in RDR2 considering the betrayal that will occur. All the characters will have an internal dilemma.

Edited by MuralDeciphered

Hassiel10

Surprisingly , this one seems very probable. We could play a prequel , sidequel , sequel all together.

Weirdly enough , it kinda reminds me of an old SEGA Genesis RPG called Phantasy Star 3. The story line of that game spanned on multiple generations. You would literally start over again 2 times during the course of the game , years after the previous events , playing the kids of your previous heroes.

For RDR2 , I could imagine the game starting before RDR1 with events that would lead us during the course of the first game until the end of it. ( we already know that Arthur meets Jack shortly after his father was killed. )

Then the protagonists could be finally caught for his crimes , jailed for x number of years which would permit the narrative to transfer on another protagonist completely for a while.

The game could then resume years after RDR1 when our first protagonist finds a way out of captivity. ( It could even be the second protagonist or a new one / old one freeing him during an heist. )

Let's not forget that we already know that there will be a fine line between antagonists and protagonists in RDR2 considering the betrayal that will occur. All the characters will have an internal dilemma.

this could make sense because there is a penitentiary on the map filtered, maybe morgan escaping from the penitentiary to lose the law, travel to west elizabeth being this a part of the map unlocked almost at the end of the game as with mexico in the first rdr

Dominik1411

Deleted*

Edited by Dominik1411

saintsrow

Yayyy!! We'll get to play as Jack "Work it, ya damn nag!" Marston again!

Money Over Bullshit

Here's a question for people - a supposed leak which stated that we play as a man named Arthur also stated that at the end of the game we take control of John and are given the ability to build up our ranch, leading into the first game. Would the majority be against this because it might detract from this game being all about Morgan or would you welcome this provided Arthur was the main focus up until the final mission. And would it be worse if this option were originally planned but scrapped due to the developers having similar feelings about the effects on the importance of Arthur's story?

Mr. Jabe

Here's a question for people - a supposed leak which stated that we play as a man named Arthur also stated that at the end of the game we take control of John and are given the ability to build up our ranch, leading into the first game. Would the majority be against this because it might detract from this game being all about Morgan or would you welcome this provided Arthur was the main focus up until the final mission. And would it be worse if this option were originally planned but scrapped due to the developers having similar feelings about the effects on the importance of Arthur's story?

If the leak is true then yes, I do actually hope that ending was scrapped in the years since. I'm not much of a fan of the game being a prequel to RDR as it is, but that being the ending would be a real nail in the coffin for me. It would just come across as really "fan-fiction"-esque to me; something that perhaps sounds really clever at first but ultimately you abandon because it's quite self-indulgent and creatively bankrupt. I mean, I don't think it would make much sense anyway! Building up a farm you know will ultimately lead to nothing anyway; a farm that was pretty underdeveloped come the time of RDR and which you spent the last part of the game building up from there (ultimately for nothing)!? What would be the motivation??

I think one of the worst things about it would be that it would rob the ending of RDR of its significance and uniqueness; repeating the same beats of the game just to arbitrarily bring the games 'full circle'. Showing us events that we already know happen rather than something genuinely new and surprising!! I hope with what that leaker said about the game going through re-workings because of it not being unique enough translated to the story as well (if the leak is of course true). It certainly wouldn't be the first time that major aspects of a game have changed during a length development cycle! After all, you don't want to end up following the same narrative inspiration as this guy:

Edited by Mr. Jabe

SeniorDerp

Perhaps it'll allow you to switch between Marston and Arthur in a GTAV style. This would allow you to continue as Arthur if you really wanted to or relive the RDR1 days as Marston. I liked the way RDR1 finished but being forced to play out whatever I had left to do with a new person was a bit annoying

Cutter De Blanc

I really don't want to play as John Marston again. He was great in his game. Let's leave him to be great there and not spoil it.

OfficialTwiggz

As knowing the fate of Marston, I wouldnt want to replay as him. Bad enough we know that hes dead at the end of it all. Leave him where he belongs, in the realm of RDR1.

As for Arthur, anything could happen. I love the idea that he was held into captivity between the events of RDR1 and the end of RDR2. Maybe when you escape or serve time from jail, you read about the death of the entire gang and you serve your side missions as a debt collector, horse wrangler, cattle driver, drifter or robber.

ClaudeSpeed1911

Hopefully, that happens. I love minigames like the one he talks about, one of my favorite things about the Yakuza series.