3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Algonquin Assassin

Did the omission of planes bother you?

Did the omission of planes bother you?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Did the omission of planes bother you?

Hot Pursuit

One of the most disappointing thing in IV

They didn't include any flyable planes, not even small one (with reason of realism)

When IV fanboys tries to bring the excuse that the map is too small for planes/nowhere to land then I find this argument really weak, because III and VC both had planes (III while aren't really flyable atleast it still possible via trick), not to mention both 3D LC and VC are smaller compared to HD LC, I had fun flying planes in both games (also SA and V) but only IV disallow us to fly one.

Now I'm using flyable planes mod in IV and I gotta tell how much I was enjoying that, something that I never had in IV (though there still sometimes)

Luke Ferris

I enjoyed flying helicopters more, ducking in and out of bridges for example and easily landing in more enclosed areas. I was absolute pants at flying fixed wing planes in GTA San Andreas so appreciated the choppers even more in GTA IV.

HigorSM

One of the most disappointing thing in IV

They didn't include any flyable planes, not even small one (with reason of realism)

When IV fanboys tries to bring the excuse that the map is too small for planes/nowhere to land then I find this argument really weak, because III and VC both had planes (III while aren't really flyable atleast it still possible via trick), not to mention both 3D LC and VC are smaller compared to HD LC, I had fun flying planes in both games (also SA and V) but only IV disallow us to fly one.

Now I'm using flyable planes mod in IV and I gotta tell how much I was enjoying that, something that I never had in IV (though there still sometimes)

What realism has to do with this????

planes exist in real life, so if they wanted the game to be realistic, they would include planes in the game.

lerche88

yes because im an aviation freak. thank the modders tho hehe

theGTAking101

Honestly, there wouldn't really be much space to fly around. Of course it would be nice, but I can live without it.

Also, I don't think it would be worth all the potential lawsuits that they'd get because of 9/11 and allowing people to recreate it in a video game.

*DERGaming

Bothered me at first but it didnt take me too long to realize that it didnt really bother me

Edited by *DERGaming

eCola

No. Where would we even land a plane in a concrete jungle like Liberty City anyway?

Helegad

I voted yes but only because they didn't even give us a Dodo.

One small light aircraft isn't going to change the game.

UncleSal

At first I missed it, but then I saw that it was not that necessary.

Arrows to Athens

It was the least of my worries.

Edited by Arrows to Athens

gunziness

I dont find it very fun to even fly planes in V, so i didnt really care while playing IV. To be honest though, a small plane wouldnt have hurt though. Like for example, the Dodo and the Skimmer (they could have used the same engine sound for both like in SA)

Edited by gunziness

Axl Rose

The omission never really dawned on me until this thread, so i guess it didn't bother me.

A fighter jet could have been pretty fun though.

Hmmm nice bike

I did think at first that it was kind of disappointing, especially when we first found out that there weren't any flyable planes. But after actually playing the game, it didn't bother me much. Helicopters are better for traveling in this game anyway, but something like a Dodo would have been nice to include anyway just for fun. Especially if THAT was the unlockable for killing 200 pigeons, instead of another helicopter that we could already easily access.

Electrochoc
My first game in GTA series is GTA IV. I never felt the lack of airplanes. My idea hasn't changed after playing GTA V.

In GTA V, the planes were good for overcoming the mountains. In IV there wasn't any mountain so i feel there is no neccessity for airplanes.

but I saw many people wanting airplanes, it would be good for them at least having one.

Gummy 

No, since the map isn't really designed for planes. But I would've loved it they included the Skimmer, the smaller, sea version of the Dodo.

MrPeteyMax

I remember, way back before release, the rumour was the choice to leave out planes was due to creators not wanting players to recreate 9/11. I always assumed that wasn't really the answer and playing the game you can see they're not really needed. San Andreas felt grander in terms of getting from one end to the other, so planes were handy to get around. In IV, the map is more compacted so it'd feel almost pointless to have them.

Plus since there's no parachutes and no where to really land a plane properly... you'd probably hurt yourself trying to get out.

ArmyRaidFail404

The argument of people recreating 9/11 is a bit stupid since there is no World Trade Centre in GTA IV, but proper reasoning still stands. Planes just don't need to be in the game.

In fact, Francis International Airport didn't even need to be in the game at all, except for that one mission where Niko finds Darko.

Schwartzxz

flying planes got really old real fast in GTA San Andreas. I used it once in GTA V off mission and got bored again so no I dont mind it.

Luszie

It doesn't really bother me since I don't very much flying with planes. (this is also true for helicopters)

Of course I would have tried them out, but it is not a big deal for me..

However, I somehow missed bicycles. There were such fun in SA... :D good old times.... :)

Domand

No it bother me at all. It was a setting and map that would’ve made plane use pointless and I can’t see what they would be used in in terms of a mission or anything. Plus there’s was one airport. So we wouldn’t be able to really fly it anywhere either.

Alex Chilton

I'm a big fan of GTA San Andreas but in gta IV helicopters are enough

Jack Lupino

No. Helicopters were enough for me.I found handling planes was very difficult in SA especially the bigger ones,so I am glad they didn't add it.