3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Algonquin Assassin

Did the omission of planes bother you?

Did the omission of planes bother you?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Did the omission of planes bother you?

Algonquin Assassin

This was probably one of the hottest debates before the game's release. Pretty simple question really. Did R*'s decision to not include planes in GTA IV bother you? (Please keep in mind the intent of the discussion isn't the exact reason why they weren't included as we've heard all the reasons before from 9/11, the map size etc. It's just whether them not being in the game bothers you or not)

For me, no. Whilst I could understand their purpose in San Andreas I think for the most part they would've been useless in GTA IV due to the high density metropolis setting. Even if planes were included most likely they would've been restricted to small planes like the Dodo or seaplanes anyway without the passenger planes/jets from San Andreas.

Just wanted to get your thoughts whether you necessarily care they're not included. Cheers. :)

Utopianthumbs

Nah I was too immersed in ragdolling people and having shootouts down in the gritty streets of LC to care about flying some dumb plane.

Really tho it didn't bother me that much, seeing as I barely returned to using planes in V after the first few times, and like you said IV's metropolis setting and grounded feel probably wasn't as inviting for zooming in the sky as San andreas wonky atmosphere. I certainly wouldn't mind flying planes in IV but it's absence didn't bother me much.

In saying that though, Liberty city did look beautiful as seen from the skies in Yusufs chopper.

SchizNitz

I'm not bothered by it. I mean, it would've been a nice gameplay element to have fun and play around with, but considering the condensed size of the map, planes wouldn't have been overly useful, and thus weren't a very necessary feature.

Queen Elizabeth II

Absolutely NOT. I do not care about planes. I think that helicopters are enough.

They are also pointless in IV.

ClaudeIzABadAzz

It doesn't bother me, but it would've been fun as hell to fly planes, no matter how small the map is.

Matrelith

Kind of. Not planes alone per se, but their omission along with all the other extras that were present in San Andreas but not in IV did give GTA IV a more barren feel.

Queen Elizabeth II

I guess people who loved Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (and everything that was served with it) must have been really disappointed with IV. Thank God I wasn't into San Andreas at all.

:)

Edited by Queen Elizabeth II

DOUGL4S1

Not at all, with only one airport, they'd be pretty useless in the gameplay. I think helicopters were enough.

Mr_Rager

No. The detail of the city is in the city, on foot. That's exactly how it should be. And for me personally, I don't give a sh*t about fighter jets or whatever other goofy sh*t people seem to love. The Buzzard was good enough for me, and honestly way more fun to fly than a plane or jet. It's more responsive in my opinion, and you can go more places and actually land.

Edited by Mr_Rager

Gokuzbu

Angry mothers screaming about it being a 911 simulator would get bloody annoying. GTA IV already gets too much hate.

GTAKid667

No. I didn't miss having planes in GTA IV because I don't think that Liberty City would have benefited from having them. They'd have been fun to fly, and I wouldn't have complained had they been in the game, but otherwise there isn't really anywhere to go in one and only Francis International Airport has a dedicated runway where you could land easily.

Helicopters work well enough for a game like IV and are fun to fly and see some great views of Liberty City with :)

Big_Smiley

I guess people who loved Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (and everything that was served with it) must have been really disappointed with IV. Thank God I wasn't into San Andreas at all.

:)

San andreas is my most favorite gta. But when IV released i wasn't disappointed at all in any way....Blew me away when i first played it. Miles ahead from V. The absents of planes never botherd me either :^: Edited by GTA_The_Series

The Rockstar Gamer 108

Lol. They knew that planes can't fly so good in such a city full of Skyscrapers.

Misunderstood

The omission didn't bother me. In SA and V, planes make a hell of a lot more sense. They have multiple airports and plenty of open spots to land the plane. IV had one airport and maybe a few open areas in Alderney. So even if there were planes, where the f*ck was I going to take them and land them? Nowhere, which means they would have been pointless for IV.

Zello

No we already have helicopters and the map is too small.

universetwisters

No because what the f*ck am I gonna do with a plane in the map? Take off at the airport and land it back again at the same airport? It has no purpose.

Femme Fatale

Nah. Chopping pedestrians with helicopter blades is fun enough.

Tycek

I couldn't care less about the planes, as GTA wasn't about them in the first place. The helicopters are enough for me and the only plane I would want in the future games is the Skimmer, which fits smaller maps.

Melted_INC

man i remember the outrage that planes weren't in this game lol

i didn't miss it though it didn't hurt my experience at all the Helicopter was more then enough

DOUGL4S1

I couldn't care less about the planes, as GTA wasn't about them in the first place. The helicopters are enough for me and the only plane I would want in the future games is the Skimmer, which fits smaller maps.

I agree, it would be more useful than it is in Vice City, as Niko can swim so is no deal if it drifts towards the ocean or something. However, I wouldn't see it as necessary, more like a cool feature to have.

Neon_Dreaming

Never really bothered me, the map was too dense for planes to be of any real use, the helicopters available to us worked well instead. They allowed use to have a more scenic view of the city than planes would have with being able to hover and landing on skyscrapers to admire the view.

JB1982

I voted No as there's not really any need for them. You have the helicopters that are more than enough to allow you to explore the map aerially and there's not really anywhere for you to go on the map in a plane that would make any sense to include them.

.Bach

I personally think that the details of Liberty City in GTA IV can only be appreciated on foot or traveling by car. So no, the omission of planes didn't bother me at all.

anthony

Not at all. Too busy exploring the deepest and darkest places of Liberty City along with it's details; so who cares about planes for a city like that ? I don't.

Edited by anthony

albanyave

Didn't bother me at all. Landing on rooftops in the helicopters was way better. Had an opportunity to see Liberty from a whole different perspective.

Johnny Spaz

Nope.

KGBeast

I always thought the only kind of plane that would make sense in IV would have been a small seaplane like VC so you aren't confined to landing just at the airport. It would have been nice but no I didn't miss planes at all. I also didn't miss the jetpack and hope it never returns.

Cutter De Blanc

Nah, too much fun trying to land on the Jumbo Jet circling the city

Algonquin Assassin

Interesting a plethora of reasons have been given for their omission not bothering people yet the 5 votes for yes haven't even explained why it did. Speaks volume they weren't that important.;)

M*A*R*I*N*A

im a plane person so when i was younger i did care but i dont anymore with gtao going over and above in that department