1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

greenrock

Meet Arthur Morgan

Don Maximus Meridius

Red Harlow > all

6TScrUPeUwhZ5Vair23KvGW34x46C.jpg

These two have to meet at some point. Given how Red's antics took place about 30 years before Redemption, he'd still be pretty young in RDR2, right?

mrw-i-post-a-new-photo-on-facebook-and-g

This would be awesome. 40-50 years old Red, as a living legend.

DIEXEL

He is in the top tier with Michael, CJ and Niko already! He's F awesome.

Edited by DIEXEL

Yinepi

Already looks like somebody I'd like to kick in the groin. But I guess wannabe macho tough guy douchbag is suitable for a cowboy game though. He also kind of looks like a roughed up version of Andy Bernard from The Office.

I just want to see this guy meet Red Harlow somewhere along the way.

Nah. This is Rockstar. Continuity isn't their strong suit. If it were Red Harlow would have been Redemption 1 protagonist and this game wouldn't have been named Redemption 2 causing total mindf*ck when trying to use acronyms for it because RDR2 is technically Redemption 1 and RDR1 technically Revolver...

Personally I think Red Dead Requisition "RDR3" would have been a better title for this than Redemption 2. From the looks of this guy, he doesn't look like he's redeeming himself at all, where as he is partaking in acts of requisition.

Edited by Yinepi

Mas u Sees

Already looks like somebody I'd like to kick in the groin. But I guess wannabe macho tough guy douchbag is suitable for a cowboy game though. He also kind of looks like a roughed up version of Andy Bernard from The Office.

Nah. This is Rockstar. Continuity isn't their strong suit. If it were Red Harlow would have been Redemption 1 protagonist and this game wouldn't have been named Redemption 2 causing total mindf*ck when trying to use acronyms for it because RDR2 is technically Redemption 1 and RDR1 technically Revolver...

Personally I think Red Dead Requisition "RDR3" would have been a better title for this than Redemption 2. From the looks of this guy, he doesn't look like he's redeeming himself at all, where as he is partaking in acts of requisition.

You are missunderstanding the naming convention

There is the Red Dead series, and then there is the Red Dead Redemption series.

The Red Dead Redemption series is part of the Red Dead series

Red Dead Series:

Red Dead Revolver

Red Dead Redemption <-- These are part of the Red Dead Redemption sub series

Red Dead Redemption 2 <-- These are part of the Red Dead Redemption sub series

Hence Red Dead Redemption 2 is a prequel to Red Dead Redemption, because they play in the same universe and share similar charactars

The next instalment will likely be called Red Dead *something cool with R* and be seperate from the Red Dead Redemption Series.

Edited by Mas u Sees

PoeticWhisper

I think Arthur looks like a badass motherf*cker. A tough rootin tootin son of a gun. I'm happy we can finally play as an outlaw and not feel wrong about it.

Edited by PoeticWhisper

Yinepi

Red Dead Series:

Red Dead Revolver

Hence Red Dead Redemption 2 is a prequel to Red Dead Redemption, because they play in the same universe and share similar charactars

The next instalment will likely be called Red Dead *something cool with R* and be seperate from the Red Dead Redemption Series.

No I'm not.

RDR1 - Red Dead Revolver (First Acronym, first title in the Red Dead game series hence #1 or lack of #1 depending on how you approach it.)

RDR2 - Red Dead Redemption (Second Acronym, second title in the Red Dead game series hence #2.)

RDR3 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (Third Acronym, third title in the Red Dead game series hence #3.)

Don't even bother entertaining Rockstar's universe/series BS with me. It's doesn't exist. It's nothing more than PR propaganda they created to justify the lack of 3D-era protagonists in GTAIV. They have proven ten fold since then that no distinction exists anymore with their games. If such a universe/series distinction were to exist Red Harlow and other Revolver characters would not feature in the "Redemption Series" as voiced characters in Redemption 1's multiplayer.

You can't have the same characters just randomly appear without them having some sort of connection to their past events. To do so defies the very construct of time itself. I stand by my word that continuity isn't Rockstar's strong suit and your argument about "Redemption Series" combined with Revolver characters appearing despite some of them supposedly dying only validates such stance.

Edited by Yinepi

Mas u Sees

Red Dead Series:

Red Dead Revolver

No I'm not.

RDR1 - Red Dead Revolver (First Acronym, first title in the Red Dead game series hence #1 or lack of #1 depending on how you approach it.)

RDR2 - Red Dead Redemption (Second Acronym, second title in the Red Dead game series hence #2.)

RDR3 - Red Dead Redemption 2 (Third Acronym, third title in the Red Dead game series hence #3.)

Don't even bother entertaining Rockstar's universe/series BS with me. It's doesn't exist. It's nothing more than PR propaganda they created to justify the lack of 3D-era protagonists in GTAIV. They have proven ten fold since then that no distinction exists anymore with their games. If such a universe/series distinction were to exist Red Harlow and other Revolver characters would not feature in the "Redemption Series" as voiced characters in Redemption 1's multiplayer.

You can't have the same characters just randomly appear without them having some sort of connection to their past events. To do so defies the very construct of time itself. I stand by my word that continuity isn't Rockstar's strong suit and your argument about "Redemption Series" combined with Revolver characters appearing despite some of them supposedly dying only validates such stance.

It is a similar case of Lazlow and Radio Hosts apearing accross Universes in the GTA series.

Dan Houser made their "logic" clear when it comes to different games and universes.

I am not saying it is logical in the common sense,

but those are Rockstars Games, and in Rockstars Games, Rockstar can create their own truths and their own logic.

Thus, what I said above is true, at least in R*s eyes.

The sooner you understand that it is R* who creates and dissolves all truths, and alters past, present and future, the better.

Edited by Mas u Sees

greenrock

John was 37/38 years old during the events of RDR

if you had to speculate the age of Arthur, what would you say?

Jimmy

Morgan seems quite the mirror image of John. He has that whole air of "badass" persona around which he seems to enjoy. I won't expect much of a character development for him as he seems generic and rather less memorable compared to Marston. Morgan feels similar to the Mafia III protagonist who isn't that much of a memorable character either.

John was 37/38 years old during the events of RDR

if you had to speculate the age of Arthur, what would you say?

Early 30's. He doesn't look younger than that. Edited by Kaniel Outis

Rafae

Just because Red Dead Revolver characters appeared in the multiplayer for Red Dead Redemption doesn't mean that game is suddenly a part of the same universe as Redemption and Redemption 2. It's just multiplayer for fks sake, they weren't involved in the story whatsoever.

If anything, Rockstar brought them back for Redemption's multiplayer as a way of paying homage to their first attempt at a Western, not as a way to actually involve them in Redemption's story or anything.

Don Maximus Meridius

Just because Red Dead Revolver characters appeared in the multiplayer for Red Dead Redemption doesn't mean that game is suddenly a part of the same universe as Redemption and Redemption 2. It's just multiplayer for fks sake, they weren't involved in the story whatsoever.

If anything, Rockstar brought them back for Redemption's multiplayer as a way of paying homage to their first attempt at a Western, not as a way to actually involve them in Redemption's story or anything.

There are campfire stories in Redemption about Red Harlow, Jack Swift, General Diego and Colonel Daren. And I heard about one of Bad Bessie, need to confirme that.

They're probably in the same universe and not so far away.

acmilano

Red Harlow > all

These two have to meet at some point. Given how Red's antics took place about 30 years before Redemption, he'd still be pretty young in RDR2, right?

mrw-i-post-a-new-photo-on-facebook-and-g

This would be awesome. 40-50 years old Red, as a living legend.

7756b0b6f465392492e79135eee9444f.jpg

I knew that I saw that smile before.

Chuck Norris as protagonist? Beyond awesome :D:D:D

TheOriginalGunslinger

Red Harlow > all

These two have to meet at some point. Given how Red's antics took place about 30 years before Redemption, he'd still be pretty young in RDR2, right?Man, I hope.

It would be cool if we see Bill Williamson encounter Red and Bill introduces a boot to his skull outside of a saloon. Then Bill will casually walk back into the saloon, take a seat and enjoy the rest of his whiskey.

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

Holland_Hicks

It seems like Morgan is the first R* protagonist in a while who just really doesn't care who he hurts and loves what he does. Since San Andreas R* have been making the same criminal with a heart of gold story (with the exception of Trevor of course.) I don't expect Morgan to be unlikable the entire game though. At some point he's going to have some kind of redemption arc.

PoeticWhisper

Why is everyone saying a badass take no sh*t motherf*cker is unlikeable? I get not everyone would like it, but why is it such a bad thing to play as a criminal who enjoys being a criminal?(which we don't actually know) Maybe he's just good at his job. Maybe he needs money for something desperately? We don't know!

But to me, I really LIKE what I've seen of Morgan. He's not bland to me. He has character, and he will undoubtibly be fleshed out even more. I'm 110% on board with an outlaw. I don't need morally confused characters every single game. As much as I love John, I don't want to play as him again, and I don't wanna play as a carbon copy of him either. I'm glad we're going to experience both sides of the spectrum here in this series.

American Venom

Why is everyone saying a badass take no sh*t motherf*cker is unlikeable? I get not everyone would like it, but why is it such a bad thing to play as a criminal who enjoys being a criminal?(which we don't actually know) Maybe he's just good at his job. Maybe he needs money for something desperately? We don't know!

But to me, I really LIKE what I've seen of Morgan. He's not bland to me. He has character, and he will undoubtibly be fleshed out even more. I'm 110% on board with an outlaw. I don't need morally confused characters every single game. As much as I love John, I don't want to play as him again, and I don't wanna play as a carbon copy of him either. I'm glad we're going to experience both sides of the spectrum here in this series.

It all depends on the extent they go with him. If he's a "take no sh*t" kind of guy like Tommy was in Vice City I can see him being an instant fan favourite.

Despite his rugged and intimidating demeanour thus far (From what we know) he doesn't really give off a repulsive vibe to make me think he'll be unlikeable. Plenty of villainous characters in games, movies etc are likeable in their own, unique way.

I gotta admit I wasn't sure what to think at first but the more I watch that trailer, the more I like him. Hats off to R* for not playing it safe with Arthur's appearance and character and going with a badass anti-hero of sorts.Think of the other directions they could have gone such as a Jack Marston type character or even worse.

This is gonna be a blast and I can't wait.

Edited by 1898

JOSEPH X

I think what Rockstar are doing is making a character who people will be unsympathetic towards so they can kill him off at the end. John Marston would be the perfect candidate to be the one to do it, as they killed him off at the end of RDR1, so they have previous. He was left for dead before the RDR started, so that could be the climax to RDR2 - a duel with John Marston. It's also possible that the kid in the trailer is John Marston, and he has a revenge motive for joining the gang.

Mach1bud

I think he will be a much deeper and complex character than the trailer makes it seem. I also think he will evolve as the game goes on and will become less ruthless and more of a hero, but will still die regardless.

Edward Nashton

I think what Rockstar are doing is making a character who people will be unsympathetic towards so they can kill him off at the end. John Marston would be the perfect candidate to be the one to do it, as they killed him off at the end of RDR1, so they have previous. He was left for dead before the RDR started, so that could be the climax to RDR2 - a duel with John Marston. It's also possible that the kid in the trailer is John Marston, and he has a revenge motive for joining the gang.

John Marston's mother died giving birth to him, that kid is certainly not John Marston. The game looks like it takes place 10-15 years before RDR1, John is probably already an adult in RDR2 since he's about 35 in the first game, he's most likely one of the unidentified Dutch gang members we saw in the trailers and posters.

Edited by Edward Nashton

greenrock

he will definitely b e complex

Yinepi

It is a similar case of Lazlow and Radio Hosts apearing accross Universes in the GTA series.

Dan Houser made their "logic" clear when it comes to different games and universes.

I am not saying it is logical in the common sense,

but those are Rockstars Games, and in Rockstars Games, Rockstar can create their own truths and their own logic.

Thus, what I said above is true, at least in R*s eyes.

The sooner you understand that it is R* who creates and dissolves all truths, and alters past, present and future, the better.

The cult of Rockstar. I think they should get their eyes checked, because they've gone blind in one and the other is blurry vision like you get when drinking too much alcohol.

Melted_INC

i like characters that are rough and sh*t but with reason i hate mindless violence like Trevor his character was lame af

Mas u Sees

It all depends on the extent they go with him. If he's a "take no sh*t" kind of guy like Tommy was in Vice City I can see him being an instant fan favourite.

Despite his rugged and intimidating demeanour thus far (From what we know) he doesn't really give off a repulsive vibe to make me think he'll be unlikeable. Plenty of villainous characters in games, movies etc are likeable in their own, unique way.

Furthermore he has the loyalty aspect to him, which will make the story unfold in an interesting way.

Of his loyalty being conflicted with his Outlaw, rebellious bad-ass charactar traits.

A story that could nod on Shakespears MacBeth, with an overamibitous (anti)-hero, conflicted with the moral question of loyalty to his superior(Dutch in this case).

I certainly do not see Arthur Morgan as one-dimensional, I mean, even what we have seen in the Trailer, does not completely present him as bland.

For that matter we know so far that he is strategicly versatile and a good loyal leader:

"We got lawmen from three different states after us [...]"(Minute 00.43), here he apears to be giving a status report to his gang and in his mild, yet ascending tone you can hear that he apears to have military and strategical competence, while he is manifesting his position as a leader of the gang, by giving orders to the other members. Of course this could also open the potential for an ambigous relationship towards Dutch, as Arthur might be intrigued to challenge Dutchs position as a leader.

"This place, ain't no such thing as civilised" (Minute 00:53 - 00:59); This gives us an impression of the situation and surrounding the Van der Linde Gang finds itself in, also signifying that Arthur, just as the other members of the gang, seems to have broke himself free from societal standards, and taken a position as an Outlaw and Rebel. This charactar trait will most likely collide with his mentality of loyalty towards Dutch, that is seen in the last scene of the Trailer, where he commits his to Dutch (cf. Minute 00:15). As at some point he and the gang will realize that the very same societal structures they tried escape, are establishing themselves within their own gang, just in smaller scale, this tragic conflict could culminate and unfold in a blissful final standoff.

In conclusion, I would argue that Arthur Morgan has much more to him than just being a badass charactar, he features traits of loyalty, ambition and rebelliousness which will make up for a thrilling story, as those traits are ought to clash.

The only thing that is missing, in my opinion, would be his relationship to women, and an anti-romantic sub-plot that would tie in perfectly into Rockstar's dark impression of the Wild West.

Edited by Mas u Sees

GourangaMaster

I think he will be a much deeper and complex character than the trailer makes it seem. I also think he will evolve as the game goes on and will become less ruthless and more of a hero, but will still die regardless.

arthur_morgan_approves.jpg

Mas u Sees

i like characters that are rough and sh*t but with reason i hate mindless violence like Trevor his character was lame af

You clearly do not understand Trevors character then.

Trevor is all but violent for no reason, despite him very often stating that he commits violence for violence sake(refer to torture scene), Trevors charactar has shaped throughout his dark youth and his failed ambitions as a Pilot and at school.

Also he had a very conflicting relationship to his mother which was most likely the core root of his psychological problems. We can also observe that Trevor seemed to have been a lot less violent and unpredictable during the Prolouge, or before he moved to LS, that is because Michael caused his abandonement issues to erupt again, when Trevor noticed, that he had betrayed him and was alive all the time, hence his escalating rampage on Johnny.

Though, you have to consider that GTA V is a gigantic living soap opera, it does not intend to be an epic tale, but rather a darkly humorous take on society, with these charactars serving as metaphors for the American Dream, MIchael being the reached it all, miserable rich guy, Franklin being the ambitous, born in bad circumstances guy, and Trevor representing the anti-society and rebel movement, that formed itself in the periphery of American Society(basicly rednecks and hipsters). Hence these characters apear a lot more conceptual, because they are to be applied to the general metaphor that the game tries to setup.

Edited by Mas u Sees

YouAreWrong

lol sorry man but your ''deep'' comment about Trevor's madness is just bulls*it.

They had no other side to him,which was a bad thing to do.because of that,Trevor seemed one sided,always angry and from time to time being obsesed with a woman.

They should have shown his suffering side,when he's alone or something.

That character was literally there to appeal to kids who get bulliet at school and want to get their anger out

Mas u Sees

lol sorry man but your ''deep'' comment about Trevor's madness is just bulls*it.

They had no other side to him,which was a bad thing to do.because of that,Trevor seemed one sided,always angry and from time to time being obsesed with a woman.

That character was literally there to appeal to kids who get bulliet at school and want to get their anger out

Enlarge upon that, by addressing my points perhaps?

Otherwise your statement is entirely without merit.

They did, and not only when he is alone, but when he starts screaming and going out in anger, you can quite visually see his suffering, due to Steven Oggs incredible performance.

It is not just about being obsessed with a woman, as you noticed I carved out Trevors root of all his anger, pain and suffering, in my post above. It can be all traced down to his Mother, and abandonement issues due to her.

His relationship with Patricia Madrazo ties into his fundamental psychological deficit, she took the role of his mother, she was able to order him, to give him consequences and borders, while still loving him, he saw in her, what he couldn't find in his own mother. After she has to leave Trevor to go back to Madrazo, she trys to tell him, that he can now do without her. This is a key part in Trevors character development, where he finally is able to catch up on his childhood, and actually become an adult, afterwards. You will notice that after Patricia has left, Trevor is a lot more goal oriented and measured, that he becomes less unpredictable and more focused on rescuing Brad and finishing the "Big One".

Of course, once he finds out that Brad is actually dead, his charactar is yet again, reversed, he is brought back to his painfull memories as a child and to the fact that Michael betrayed him, again.

As I said, on the surface it is a lot less noticeable, unless you truly think about it, because Trevors, Michaels and Franklins characters, are only Soap characters, they are more or less plot devices to convey the grand atmosphere and message of the entire game, they are concepts of the failed American Dream, but they are most certainly not badly written, or at least not as badly written as you make them out to be.

Edited by Mas u Sees

Mach1bud

Completely agree about Trevor. Easily one of my favorite GTA protagonists based on his emotional complexity.

Johnson Johnson

Just hoping his personality isnt as bad as his generic sh*t face