3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

greenrock

Meet Arthur Morgan

DexMacLeod

Yay for another generic white protag with a worse(forced) accent than the sh*t ones in Mafia 3

Yeah, the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard him talk was all those KKK clones from Mafia 3. Not a great first impression.

Also, I'm really hoping there's more to him, personality wise, than what we saw. Playing as a relentless douche bag for hours could get more grating then the accent.

Marston1911

If the map is accurate, the last part of the game may take place in West Elizabeth. Given that Dutch is around 10-15 years younger, this would be the time period the Blackwater massacre happened. The red dead wiki also claimed most of the story was covered up by the police, so Morgan could easily have been involved in that shootout.

Meekail

This guy looks f*ckin awesome I like him already

Fingers crossed he doesn't die at the end

Hard to imagine how they could write the story in such a way that he doesn't die....

I mean in RDR, Edgar Ross is dedicated to hunting down and wiping out the whole Van der Linde gang.

If Morgan was alive during the time of RDR, and still an outlaw, surely he would also have been on the list?

If Morgan was alive during the time of RDR, and had renounced the life of crime and/or betrayed the gang to work with Ross and the FBI - then surely Ross would've killed him anyway (just like John)?

Maybe he just moves to Canada?

My best guess - Morgan is going to start out as a no-nonsense badass outlaw, but is gradually going to start having doubts as Dutch and the other men start committing some serious atrocities. At the same time, he's going to become a mentor and father figure to the new young recruit into the gang, John Marston......eventually Dutch & co. are going to do something so awful that Morgan's going to turn against them, before sacrificing himself in some glorious fashion at the end of the game to save John's life and stop him following Dutch down the path to darkness.......

I don't think they're gonna have ANOTHER game where the protagonist dies at the end, but you never know.

greenrock

Yay for another generic white protag with a worse(forced) accent than the sh*t ones in Mafia 3

Yeah, the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard him talk was all those KKK clones from Mafia 3. Not a great first impression.

Also, I'm really hoping there's more to him, personality wise, than what we saw. Playing as a relentless douche bag for hours could get more grating then the accent.

why?

we already had the "noble criminal" cliche with John, i like the contrast with Arthur being a straight jackass

confederatestatesgta

Do you guys think Arthur is southerner?

it sounds like he is. it would be so cool if he had family that fought in the civil war. a lot of families moved out west after the war. especially confederates. maybe he can have a confederate uniform that was father gave him. or something like that. that would be awesome!

Collibosher

It's rockstar games, so he's gonna probably turn out to be much more interesting, but so far he looks really "generic" indeed. He should be skinnier or heavier and with memorable facial features. Now he looks like a male catalog model, but I'm sure there are customization options, like beards, hair, etc.

STRICK14

it sounds like he is. it would be so cool if he had family that fought in the civil war. a lot of families moved out west after the war. especially confederates. maybe he can have a confederate uniform that was father gave him. or something like that. that would be awesome!

He is definitely trying to be a southerner, but his accent sounds so fake, and forced. I like the character so far, just not that horrendous accent.

DexMacLeod

why?

we already had the "noble criminal" cliche with John, i like the contrast with Arthur being a straight jackass

I don't know, that whole "I treat people like dirt cus' I can" mentality just rubs the wrong way. I certainly don't want to walk in the shoes of that personality for an entire game. He seems like the perfect character for a multiple protagonist game where you've got at least one other person to provide contrast and relief from all the negativity.

I mean, it was a minute and a half trailer so I'm by no means assuming we've seen everything the guy has to offer but Rockstar doesn't have a great track record when it comes to characters evolving over the course of a story.

I'm not saying the guy needs to be all sunshine and rainbows either. Just a glimpse of humanity in the trailer would have been nice.

Journey_95

Rockstar doesn't create video games and write stories based on your force diversity checklist, but instead choose on what they actually want to do

Dan Houser doens't have to answer to know one

Well said, I like that Rockstar doesnt force SJW bs in their games.

This protagonist looks interesting, not as much as Marston but he set a pretty high bar. Its definitely refreshing that he just wants to rob people and is loyal to outlaws.

Edited by Journey_95

e1999KrayzieBone

Things we know about Morgan at this point: He's an outlaw who is loyal to his gang, ruthless, and trustworthy. We don't yet know if he's morally conflicted with all that he's doing, but...when he says "this place...ain't no such thing as civilized..." He justifies his dastardly actions by thinking of it as his only way to survive.

I think they've only revealed Mr. Morgan's character traits from early on in the game, and his character will take on much more depth as the story unfolds. We know Marston's entire story at this point, and essentially none of Morgan's, so to compare the two's likability at this point is unfair and foolish.

Jabalous

Things we know about Morgan at this point: He's an outlaw who is loyal to his gang, ruthless, and trustworthy. We don't yet know if he's morally conflicted with all that he's doing, but...when he says "this place...ain't no such thing as civilized..." He justifies his dastardly actions by thinking of it as his only way to survive.

I think they've only revealed Mr. Morgan's character traits from early on in the game, and his character will take on much more depth as the story unfolds. We know Marston's entire story at this point, and essentially none of Morgan's, so to compare the two's likability at this point is unfair and foolish.

That's not Morgan who said it, it was Dutch.

greenrock

how old do you think Arthur is, if you had to guess?

Zello

Probably 35

Typhus

Has anyone zoomed in on his belt buckle? It looks like it might be in the shape of a flag.

loyletomycapo

He seems like a right c*nt, which I like. Means I won't have to feel as guilty about tying NPCs to train tracks.

Anyone else see a slight resemblance to Dominic West?

Sensei ‎

I'm getting a big Mafia 3 impression. Whereas Mafia 2's Vito was memorable, Mafia 3's generic black guy that I don't even know the name of seems like a good example of this case. Either way, I'll wait for actual gameplay like I've been saying ever since RDR2 got announced. CGI trailer didn't even get me to open my eyes slightly wider than what they usually rest at.

That ain't CGI my friend, those are clearly in-game graphics

sh*t

lets hope theres a barber early on in game cuz i dont like his face

0DDhc5S.jpg

feckyerlife

This guy looks f*ckin awesome I like him already

Fingers crossed he doesn't die at the end

Hard to imagine how they could write the story in such a way that he doesn't die....

I mean in RDR, Edgar Ross is dedicated to hunting down and wiping out the whole Van der Linde gang.

If Morgan was alive during the time of RDR, and still an outlaw, surely he would also have been on the list?

If Morgan was alive during the time of RDR, and had renounced the life of crime and/or betrayed the gang to work with Ross and the FBI - then surely Ross would've killed him anyway (just like John)?

Maybe he just moves to Canada?

My best guess - Morgan is going to start out as a no-nonsense badass outlaw, but is gradually going to start having doubts as Dutch and the other men start committing some serious atrocities. At the same time, he's going to become a mentor and father figure to the new young recruit into the gang, John Marston......eventually Dutch & co. are going to do something so awful that Morgan's going to turn against them, before sacrificing himself in some glorious fashion at the end of the game to save John's life and stop him following Dutch down the path to darkness.......

I don't think they're gonna have ANOTHER game where the protagonist dies at the end, but you never know.

its a prequel using a different character no one ever heard of before, that is in the same gang. i would say there is a high probability that he dies at the end

Matsumoto

0DDhc5S.jpg

And a tailor cuz he needs to get rid of that fancy little scarf thing.

feckyerlife

He is definitely trying to be a southerner, but his accent sounds so fake, and forced. I like the character so far, just not that horrendous accent.

its pretty terrible, it sounds like a normal guy trying to speak with creole accent.

Zello

0DDhc5S.jpg

I want to give him a big beard and go shirtless

Matsumoto

0DDhc5S.jpg

This is getting a bit too brokeback mountain to me... Hey you know what? Now I hope he's gay, he looks fancy enough that's for sure! :)

sh*t

This is getting a bit too brokeback mountain to me... Hey you know what? Now I hope he's gay, he looks fancy enough that's for sure! :)

now that is something i could get behind! (no pun intended)

Edited by sh*t

ARlS

now that is something i could get behind! (no pun intended)

Hell yes, if we can't get a woman, then a gay protag is the next best thing I guess... :lol:

Edited by ARlS

Marston1911

0DDhc5S.jpg

He looks like a young Drew Macfarlane there. :lol:

John Smith

0DDhc5S.jpg

Hopefully this sexual Tyrannosaurus will still have his minigun and defeat the predator this time 'round.

Marston1911

0DDhc5S.jpg

EDIT: Double post

Edited by Marston1911

greenrock

he looks like he could be in his 40s

joshua969

I'm intrigued. Can't wait to learn more about the protag.

ARlS

Let's just hope there really is a lot of character customization in storymode, because that really lacked in RDR.

That moustache is really growing on me! (not literally)