Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Legion of Hell

How would you rate the map of GTA IV (Liberty City/Alderney State)

How would you rate the map of GTA IV...  

159 members have voted

  1. 1. ...on scale of 1-10?

    • 1 (Absolutely sh*tty)
      3
    • 2 (Awful)
      0
    • 3 (Poor)
      1
    • 4 (Below average)
      1
    • 5 (Average)
      4
    • 6 (Above average)
      3
    • 7 (Good map overall, despite some major flaws)
      14
    • 8 (Very good map with some minor flaws)
      35
    • 9 (An extremely well-crafted map)
      61
    • 10 (Just perfect, best map in the series)
      37


Recommended Posts

SonOfLiberty
2 hours ago, Official General said:

 

I strongly disagree. The number of bridges in IV's LC was actually a very accurate reflection of the real-life bridges of New York City, relative to the game's size. If anything, the bridges were perfectly re-created, and if realism was taken more literally in IV, there would have been even more bridges in LC. New York City in real life is very much connected by bridges, that is one of the physical hallmarks of the city's design and layout. I don't understand how you can even complain about that being unnatural ? Have you ever been to NYC ? I don't think you have, because you would not making such wildly inaccurate statements like this. 

I don't get it either. Complaining there's too many bridges is like complaining there's too many skyscrapers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laker23

9/10. I really wanted some countryside, even if it was a small area.

 

The dullness, especially on those rainy/cloudy days was absolutely fantastic. It fit the game so well, and made the atmosphere top notch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquamaniac
On 7/16/2018 at 12:38 PM, Official General said:

 

I strongly disagree. The number of bridges in IV's LC was actually a very accurate reflection of the real-life bridges of New York City, relative to the game's size. If anything, the bridges were perfectly re-created, and if realism was taken more literally in IV, there would have been even more bridges in LC. New York City in real life is very much connected by bridges, that is one of the physical hallmarks of the city's design and layout. I don't understand how you can even complain about that being unnatural ? Have you ever been to NYC ? I don't think you have, because you would not making such wildly inaccurate statements like this. 

No, I'm from Europe. Then NYC was simply the wrong joice - I understand that some people like that concrete jungle feeling, I do not. Way to much movies/series or games feature either New York or Los Angeles, the map in GTA V is great though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Official General
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:19 AM, Aquamaniac said:

No, I'm from Europe. Then NYC was simply the wrong joice - I understand that some people like that concrete jungle feeling, I do not. Way to much movies/series or games feature either New York or Los Angeles, the map in GTA V is great though.

Then the solution is simple.....don't play it, and then you have nothing to complain about. 

 

This is GTA, its always gonna be set in major American cities, it a cornerstone of the whole game's series physical identity. I really don't understand why you're complaining or b*tchin'. You don't like it, don't play it, play another open world game that revolves around the settings and locations you prefer. 

Edited by Official General

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquamaniac
20 hours ago, Official General said:

Then the solution is simple.....don't play it, and then you have nothing to complain about. 

 

This is GTA, its always gonna be set in major American cities, it a cornerstone of the who game's series identity. I really don't understand why you're complaining or b*tchin'. You don't like it, don't play it, play another open world game that revolves around the settings and locations you prefer. 

I purchased it because I liked V so much, I liked the game but outside the story I felt no reason to drive around as an end in itself like I enjoy in V, I didn't say that GTA should be set outside the US, I'm just bored by NYC and I'm sure there other major cities with less damn bridges. It's not complaining when people ask for opinions and I tell them.

Edited by Aquamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Official General
5 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

I purchased it because I liked V so much, I liked the game but outside the story I felt no reason to drive around as an end in itself like I enjoy in V, I didn't say that GTA should be set outside the US, I'm just bored by NYC and I'm sure there other major cities with less damn bridges. It's not complaining when people ask for opinions and I tell them.

I admit IV could have done more for replay value, but if you use your imagination, roleplay, and look hard enough there are good reasons to drive around and explore to do stuff in the city and other areas. And there is a bunch of crime-related side missions available in IV that are fun and interesting, and also not seen in V.

 

Bored with NYC ? You're not making sense here mister. If you played all the GTA games since III, you will see that NYC has only featured ONCE in a main GTA game and that was IV&EFLC. LC in III you could say was kinda based on NYC, but when you really look at it, it was actually a generic American East Coast city with only occasional and very feint resemblances to the real life NYC. Rockstar themselves said III's LC was not direct re-creation of NYC. Tell me which other main GTA games was set in an NYC setting so much that it made you bored with NYC ? I'm waiting because I've not heard of them. 

 

Less Bridges ? Did you play VC ? That had quite a lot of bridges because the city was situated on many islands separated by water, just like Miami in REAL LIFE. NYC is also like that in REAL LIFE. What part of this don't you understand ? Well if the next GTA is set in VC, be prepared for even more bridges, because modern Miami is full of them. And you know the best solution for this ? Don't buy or play the game !!

Edited by Official General

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Billy Russo

9/10.

 

It's one of the best maps in the whole GTA Series. Not only does it capture the atmosphere and murkiness of NYC, but it also fits the the storyline perfectly. The map feels bigger than GTA V because you feel so small travelling through the city and all of the high rise buildings. I feel like they took a step back in GTA V from the attention to detail they gave this game, it felt far more gritty and realistic, whilst GTA V I felt they want for quantity over quality, and Los Santos could do a better job of feeling like Los Angeles to me, especially the ghetto areas.

 

I still find little details in GTA IV even now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25

7/10

 

The city is well-crafted but small. It's safe to say The map is responsible for some of the vehicle mechanics. Vehicle's top speed has been dumbed down massively to make players FEEL like the map is big. Rockstar's biggest mistake was removing the countryside. The countryside could make it a step forward from the GTA 3 map other than just adding to the size. Anyways the map ITSELF is pretty detailed but lacks Size and Variety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquamaniac
2 hours ago, Official General said:

I admit IV could have done more for replay value, but if you use your imagination, roleplay, and look hard enough there are good reasons to drive around and explore to do stuff in the city and other areas. And there is a bunch of crime-related side missions available in IV that are fun and interesting, and also not seen in V.

 

Bored with NYC ? You're not making sense here mister. If you played all the GTA games since III, you will see that NYC has only featured ONCE in a main GTA game and that was IV&EFLC. LC in III you could say was kinda based on NYC, but when you really look at it, it was actually a generic American East Coast city with only occasional and very feint resemblances to the real life NYC. Rockstar themselves said III's LC was not direct re-creation of NYC. Tell me which other main GTA games was set in an NYC setting so much that it made you bored with NYC ? I'm waiting because I've not heard of them. 

 

Less Bridges ? Did you play VC ? That had quite a lot of bridges because the city was situated on many islands separated by water, just like Miami in REAL LIFE. NYC is also like that in REAL LIFE. What part of this don't you understand ? Well if the next GTA is set in VC, be prepared for even more bridges, because modern Miami is full of them. And you know the best solution for this ? Don't buy or play the game !!

 

I meant that NYC and LA are generally overrepresented in pop culture be it movies/TV series or games, I'd favour LA though. It's long ago when I played GTA III and Vice City and I can't honestly remember the maps but back then there did exist no comparable game.

 

You seem not do understand my point, I always considered GTA a driving game, I'm not that into that crime and gang stuff but I like the freedom to drive around just for fun, unlike racing games (and to occassionally blow things up or people). A concrete jungle for me is a poor scenery to drive around as an end in itself while GTA V is just perfect for this matter.

Edited by Aquamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Official General
8 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

 

I meant that NYC and LA are generally overrepresented in pop culture be it movies/TV series or games, I'd favour LA though. It's long ago when I played GTA III and Vice City and I can't honestly remember the maps but back then there did exist no comparable game.

Bro, that's GTA for you, it's no different with regards to overrepresentation in video games. And you can forget about it taking place outside of America, because Rockstar themselves stated GTA is not suited to be set outside of America. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquamaniac
2 hours ago, Official General said:

Bro, that's GTA for you, it's no different with regards to overrepresentation in video games. And you can forget about it taking place outside of America, because Rockstar themselves stated GTA is not suited to be set outside of America. 

 

Dude do I speak Chinese? I do not say that GTA should take place outside the US, but the US is not only LA and NYC isn't it? What about Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, the Deep South, Detroit, Chicago, Vegas, Reno, Oregon ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Official General
4 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

 

Dude do I speak Chinese? I do not say that GTA should take place outside the US, but the US is not only LA and NYC isn't it? What about Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, the Deep South, Detroit, Chicago, Vegas, Reno, Oregon ...

Now you're being silly......however Chicago is the only viable location for GTA  you listed out of them all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Legion of Hell
8 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Dude do I speak Chinese? 

Now that's racist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mde2
51 minutes ago, Hot Pursuit said:

Now that's racist

It's really not.

 

9 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Dude do I speak Chinese? I do not say that GTA should take place outside the US, but the US is not only LA and NYC isn't it? What about Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, the Deep South, Detroit, Chicago, Vegas, Reno, Oregon ...

While I don't agree with you on the point that LC and LS are boring or whatever your point was, Vegas, Reno, Chicago, Detroit etc are all good locations I reckon could be done pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Legion of Hell
3 hours ago, RetroMystic said:

It's really not

I was joking actually

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Emmi

10 ... you know, there's nothing quite like this. If a world/map is that great making me want to visit the place in real life it must have been considered an outstanding accomplishment by its developers (R*) ... Liberty City is such a world/map! It soaks you in the moment you step foot on it and won't let you go for a lifetime.

 

GTA-4-Liberty-City-1024x400.jpg

 

QWcUws2.png

Edited by Emmi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DrAnomalous

I love the map. I could go on about all the little details I love but instead I'll nitpick this time because it's usually undying love for this game from me. Ok 2 things right off that bat with trying to find flaws that always stood out.

 

1) Number of lanes. A lot of the streets perhaps too many of the streets are 1 lane streets. Algonquin is the exception but some of the other boroughs could of used some wider streets maybe even longer streets that didn't curve as much. Maybe I'm wrong maybe RL NYC is really that tightly packed

 

2)  There could of really been a rural/suburban area added to the map. I think this area could of added some variety and in a lot of these games -- it sells the illusion that the map is larger than it really is. Being out in the sticks and either driving out of or pulling back into the city is always a nice feeling. Reminds me of the real life "glad to get away" and "glad to be back home"  sensation you get when you go on a little road trip.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hmmm nice bike

I think the map would be a 7/10 or an 8/10 for me. I think they did a better job of creating LC than they did with Los Santos, but for me, Liberty City was still missing a couple of things.

 

  • I think that instead of that prison in Alderney (which is based on a real-life prison in Trenton, NJ, which is very far from NYC), they should have recreated Riker's Island. Just place it between Dukes and Bohan, have a bridge connecting to it from Dukes, and now you've got a cool prison island setting and a much more iconic location than some random prison that, for some reason, has a wonderful view of the skyline (a luxury that they would never offer to dangerous criminals).
  • On the subject of Alderney, they definitely needed to do a better job of making it clear that it's indeed a separate state. It makes no sense why the police use LCPD cruisers. Early screenshots from the pre-release version of the game that were taken in Alderney do show blank squad cars, so maybe they were trying to program separate jurisdictions but couldn't? I also think that Alderney should have been placed just a little further out from Algonquin. Make the bridge between them longer and actually base it on the George Washington Bridge, and make the tunnel run horizontally between Algonquin and Alderney instead of vertically up the river (with a state line split in the tunnel that makes no sense, they split Alderney and Algonquin between northern and southern Algonquin since the tunnel runs north/south before making a sharp turn west)
  • The map definitely needed someplace that at least felt like a more countryside/heavily suburban area instead of just Alderney (which was still too dense of an area if they were trying to give Alderney that kind of feel to it). Something based on Staten Island would have definitely served this purpose, and I still think it was a mistake for them to leave out this borough when designing the map. Not only do you have a more residential area, but you'd also have a lot of open areas without homes or buildings and lots of wooded areas that would have easily served as the "countryside" that everyone wanted to see in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vladistar_895

9/10

Amazing city,I loved each borough,it's so detalied and good

Dukes/Broker:Amazing

Bohan:Good but too small 

Algonquin:Amazing

Alderney:Not bad but confusing because it seems it's a different state but is only one city;everyone uses Liberty City cars(even the police)

Staten Island:Where it is???

Also I don't mind very much but map should've been like the beta

Alderney with north-western natural area

The Carraways(parody of The Hamptons)

Countryside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nik0 Bellic
On 7/22/2018 at 6:48 PM, TheSantader25 said:

7/10

 

The city is well-crafted but small. It's safe to say The map is responsible for some of the vehicle mechanics. Vehicle's top speed has been dumbed down massively to make players FEEL like the map is big. Rockstar's biggest mistake was removing the countryside. The countryside could make it a step forward from the GTA 3 map other than just adding to the size. Anyways the map ITSELF is pretty detailed but lacks Size and Variety. 

Ok car physics sucked and all but i never felt like the cars' speed weren't enough, am i the only one lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Funktipus

I thought Rockstar did an amazing job capturing the "feel" of NYC, but I thought my borough (Bohan/Bronx) got short-changed big time. There's more to the Bronx than the ghettos in the south. And no baseball stadium???? C'mon, the PS2 GTAs had stadiums.

 

But I will say this....the area where Elizabeta lives closely resembles the area where I grew up. Those cats at Rockstar did their homework.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49

9/10. The best map in the series, IMO.

 

It just needed more interactive interiors for Alderney, including a clothing shop, as well as a gun shop in Bohan. And well, I believe one of the two Perseus clothing shops in Algonquin could've been replaced with an additional casual clothing shop that would be different from Modo and the Russian shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max.pain

9/10 one of the most detailed maps in the series. even just randomly driving around is fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rhoda

I really enjoyed IV's map for the most part. The first island was fantastic, really captured the atmosphere of a city trying to cater for immigrants and teasing that American dream. Areas of affluence were few and far between, teased to the north before you cross the toll to Bohan. Admittedly I did dislike Bohan initially because it felt a little pointless and baron, but it was necessary to remove the player as much as possible from the familiarity of Broker and Hove Beach. Having Niko go back to rescue Niko later on in the game was a nice touch though, and gave the player reason to return. I think my dislike of Manny as a character led to my distaste of Bohan.

 

When we're granted access to Algonquin, we're given another peek behind the curtain at the "real" America - towering skyscrapers, a beaming (if cynical) statue to the south and opportunities on every corner. Whilst a little cramped, it did well at offering a pastiche of Manhattan, or at least the Manhattan those from the outside recognise with a surprising amount of detail. Purists will scoff perhaps and take every opportunity to tell everybody that it's representation is all wrong but you could immediately tell where you were supposed to be. This was the big city, and it was as groundbreaking as III was when it was released on PS2. This was the city people were aching to visit ever since they saw the trailer.

 

Then we get to Alderney... oh dear. I don't know why but I cannot stand Alderney. I was excited to explore the third island, it looked good from the pause screen map but I just got the feeling that it was rushed. It felt like an after thought, and whilst I don't know the story behind the game's development but i wouldn't be surprised to learn that this area got the short end of the stick. Other than some mission strands and strangers/freaks, there seemed to be little point to it. The neighbourhoods to the north were nice but the industrial area at the bottom just looked awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JavierC

Anyone knows whats the deal with the NO SMOKING signs on different locations of the map? Seems subliminal idk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, JavierC said:

Anyone knows whats the deal with the NO SMOKING signs on different locations of the map? Seems subliminal idk.

I haven't noticed that many, but I think it's just meant to be some realistic signs. The one on the Platypus ship (maybe other ships too idk) might seem a little in your face but it's normal to have a huge no smoking sign like that on cargo ships, and to have lots around in other industrial places where it's important for safety (as well as regular signs you see just in any random place it isn't allowed in a city). Probably seems like a lot due to seeing more industrial areas in the game than you would in day to day life. Or is there something particularly strange about them I haven't noticed?

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JavierC
On 8/25/2019 at 4:10 PM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I haven't noticed that many, but I think it's just meant to be some realistic signs. The one on the Platypus ship (maybe other ships too idk) might seem a little in your face but it's normal to have a huge no smoking sign like that on cargo ships, and to have lots around in other industrial places where it's important for safety (as well as regular signs you see just in any random place it isn't allowed in a city). Probably seems like a lot due to seeing more industrial areas in the game than you would in day to day life. Or is there something particularly strange about them I haven't noticed?

I have seen them everywhere. I cant remember exactly where but a lot, like in the taxi place of Roman, in cutscenes and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
billiejoearmstrong8
4 hours ago, JavierC said:

I have seen them everywhere. I cant remember exactly where but a lot, like in the taxi place of Roman, in cutscenes and stuff.

I think it's just similar to real life, any place of business that doesn't allow smoking will have signs up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Casualplaya

All in all it works well for the story - a bit more nature would have been nice, also as I know that once you leave NY City you're in the green very fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bolototu

The map is good but I think it would be better if it had more color

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.