Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,919 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
JakeRS

Is my cpu bottlenecking me?

Question

JakeRS

I have a probably really weak Celeron G1610 (2 cores, 2 threads, 2.6ghz, 22nm and about 2500 passmark points) , 8gb RAM and I have a also kind of weak Radeon 7730 vtx3d 2gb ddr3.

I usually get about 27-35 fps in the city and around 40-50 in the desert when using normal textures, high shaders, no antialiasing, 4x anisotropic, high quality water and most other stuff is around low/normal. The resolution is 1280x1024 or something like that.

All in all it's obviously not a i7 + Titan x experience, but it's playable, I rarely actually encounter any fps drops bellow 24, I previously had 4gb RAM and had stutters all the time, but not anymore.

So, yesterday I tried pumping up the texture settings to high and...fps is almost the same, however I did experience something else, the controls were unresponsive. I want the car to go just a little to the left and he makes a whole U-turn, I want to go a little in reverse and he just keeps going backwards.

I know that textures are gpu's area of work, but I suppose that the CPU also has more data to work through with high texture settings, hence the unresponsive controls issue, so will upgrading to a I5 (from a weak Celeron) fix the problem and maybe give me a few extra fps, regardless of the weak gpu?

Edited by JakeRS

3 answers to this question

Blaze

tbh V is pretty well optimized but even then that CPU is weak

HaRdSTyLe_83

I have a probably really weak Celeron G1610 (2 cores, 2 threads, 2.6ghz, 22nm and about 2500 passmark points) , 8gb RAM and I have a also kind of weak Radeon 7730 vtx3d 2gb ddr3.

I usually get about 27-35 fps in the city and around 40-50 in the desert when using normal textures, high shaders, no antialiasing, 4x anisotropic, high quality water and most other stuff is around low/normal. The resolution is 1280x1024 or something like that.

All in all it's obviously not a i7 + Titan x experience, but it's playable, I rarely actually encounter any fps drops bellow 24, I previously had 4gb RAM and had stutters all the time, but not anymore.

So, yesterday I tried pumping up the texture settings to high and...fps is almost the same, however I did experience something else, the controls were unresponsive. I want the car to go just a little to the left and he makes a whole U-turn, I want to go a little in reverse and he just keeps going backwards.

I know that textures are gpu's area of work, but I suppose that the CPU also has more data to work through with high texture settings, hence the unresponsive controls issue, so will upgrading to a I5 (from a weak Celeron) fix the problem and maybe give me a few extra fps, regardless of the weak gpu?

i can only say from my personal experience going from a pentium G3258, same 2 cores/2 threads but @4.2mHz to the i5-6600k at same speed and it was the best upgrade in terms of Fps i have made

Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83

JakeRS

An oldish thread by now, but I upgraded my cpu, so I'd like to share my results in case it helps anyone.

I tested the game with both really low (800xsomething resolution) and with semi-medium settings (1280x1024, normal textures, high shaders, no fxaa, msaa, high water, soft shadows, 4 or 8x filtering)

Low: about 35-40 fps

medium: same, perhaps slightly less, 30-40 fps

Then I found a used, but still powerful i5 3450 and the results are...

low: 70-90, maybe even more

medium: Highly dissapointing, but same as the g1610, 35-40, but never above 40 in the city. However stuttering was eliminated, so those 35 fps felt a lot more natural and smooth than the same fps from the celeron.

-

So, the conclusion is that if you have a relatively weak graphics card like me (Radeon 7730 2gb), a stronger cpu will double the fps at low settings, but medium and high settings will still be extremely limited by a weak gpu, no matter how strong the cpu is. The only difference is that there are a lot less microstutters even at medium settings.

Another issue that was fixed was the user music freezing the game, with the weak cpu I had the problem that when I activated my user radio in GTA V, the game froze for a few seconds each time a new song was being loaded, but now that doesn't happen anymore at all.