4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Coin

Official Xbox One Topic

Purevil
23 hours ago, El Penguin Bobo said:

Is anyone having that issue where when you're playing the game for a little while, the audio stutters and goes out completely and comes back later on?

Been experiencing this a lot lately, and it's getting a bit annoying.

Replace HDMI cable if you have not tried already.   Don't use cheap HDMI cables (for example, £1 hdmi cables).

SonOfLiberty
On 5/18/2019 at 3:59 PM, El Penguin Bobo said:

Not gonna lie, it looks like one of those cheap mobile strategy games, but it looks pretty solid. Reminds me of GTA CTW, which I need to get back to playing soon.

I might pick it up.

I gave in and got it on PS4 because it released early.😉

So far it definitely feels like a throw back to the top down GTAs and CTW. It even has a similar disorientating camera like GTA 1 that zooms in and out lol. 

Commander S

Decent GwG lineup this month - particularly Portal: Still Alive (backwards-compatible and X-enhanced!). I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who missed the boat the first time around (had to live vicariously through the neat little Flash knock-off), so I'm looking forward to giving it a proper go. :)

Billy Russo

Has anyone got an all-digital Xbox One?

If so, what are your thoughts on it.

I've been considering eventually getting an Xbox to have something else to play, and this is the most affordable option that is brand new right now, so wondering if anybody has a hands-on experience with it.

GTA3Rockstar
19 hours ago, Billy Russo said:

I've been considering eventually getting an Xbox to have something else to play, and this is the most affordable option that is brand new right now, so wondering if anybody has a hands-on experience with it.

Well, I don't but I have an X that I 99% only do digital on.

I don't think it's worth it UNLESS you A) don't watch disc movies or B) you already have a BR player.

Otherwise, hop on!

Billy Russo
3 hours ago, GTA3Rockstar said:

Well, I don't but I have an X that I 99% only do digital on.

I don't think it's worth it UNLESS you A) don't watch disc movies or B) you already have a BR player.

Otherwise, hop on!

Well, you see, that's where I'm good. I have a PS4 which plays Blu Ray, and I don't really watch disc movies anymore anyways as I'm a Netflix kind of guy. The Digital Xbox doesn't sound too bad for someone like me, because I'd probably only get Halo and certain big Xbox exclusives. 

D9fred95
Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2019 at 8:27 AM, Billy Russo said:

I don't like the idea of a digital only console. Your ownership of your games is 100% in the hands of Microsoft whereas if you have a disc you'll always be able to use it.

This also wrecks the way XB1 backwards compatibility currently works. You put your 360 disc inside your XB1 and you can play your old 360 games anytime providing you have the disc. You can't do that with an all digital console since it has no disc slot. Guess you just gotta buy all your games again, wonderful choice.

Edited by D9fred95

Billy Russo
3 minutes ago, D9fred95 said:

I don't like the idea of a digital only console. Your ownership of your games is 100% in the hands of Microsoft whereas if you have a disc you'll always be able to use it.

This also wrecks the way XB1 backwards compatibility currently works. You put your 360 disc inside your XB1 and you can play your old 360 games anytime providing you have the disc. You can't do that with an all digital console since it has no disc slot. Guess you just gotta buy all your games again, wonderful choice.

I suppose that's true. 

I'm not too fussed over backwards compatibility. I'm not going to buy an Xbox One to play 360 games, I'd just buy a Xbox 360 if I wanted to do that. it'd just be for exclusives and new games only.

I guess I'll just see how things go. Maybe it'd be worth just waiting a little and saving the extra £50 or so to get an Xbox One S instead. 

trip

I'm all digital in practice...for the most part.

I asked myself if I could live without a disc drive.  

Yes...and then I thought wait - I might miss being able to toss in IV and play.  But wait there's more...I returned to Yes.  I tend to have no issues with re-buying something.  I've even gotten physical media lazy.  I've replaced a lot of DVD movies with digital copies simply because it's easier to deal with.  Like I just can't walk across the room, grab a disc, stick it in the drive, etc etc any more.

Most of my physical 360 games have been repurchased digitally.  I think IV and Episodes are the only ones that haven't gotten digital replacements.  RDR did.  

Hear me out on this thought:

Long before digital media us as consumers and customers have always had to rebuy stuff.  Just because you bought it doesn't mean you'll have it forever.

Vinal albums would scratch and warp.   Cassette tapes would stretch, melt and all around suck in time.  Music CDs weren't indestructible.

If you live long enough they change the media on you anyway.  I can't just pop in my VHS copy of Rocky, I had to replace it with a DVD version.  I now have a MS Movies digital copy.

Throughout time you just lose stuff.  Stuff needs replacing.

Billy Russo

I appreciate the responses guys. Will see how it goes, and decide for myself. I'm waiting until Microsoft's conference to see if anything really pulls me in. Really intrigued to see Halo: Infinite gameplay. If it's anything like the older Halo games, I'll be all aboard. Fable could be amazing also.

Commander S

There are some really good deals in the XBL E3 Sale at the moment - including stuff that (IIRC) hasn't been discounted before.

Just got the Forza Horizon 4 Car Pass for £7 - £12 is already pretty good (compared to £24 standard price), but I've been sitting on my reward points for a bit, so I redeemed enough to get a £5 voucher. That covers stuff like the '68 Mustang, the AP1 S2000, the Barracuda convertible, the El Dorado, and a whole bunch of neat things I've been itching to get for a while - just not for £24+, or £3 per car...

JON22

f*cking typical. Phantasy Star Online 2 gets announced for Xbox next year then Sega says they can't confirm an EU release, which means no UK release probably. Could've at least put some text in the trailer saying 'currently america only' or something:angry:

4q

Shadowfennekin

Lego Forza....

A reason to finally try out a Forza game

Once it's a reasonable price >.>

Billy Russo

I need to buy an Xbox after that conference

giphy.gif

GTA3Rockstar
7 hours ago, Shadowfennekin said:

Lego Forza....

Once it's a reasonable price >.>

Game pass is there for this reason

Maxx1013
10 hours ago, Shadowfennekin said:

Horizon 3 is amazing and the Hot Wheels expansion is really fun.

Billy Russo
3 hours ago, GTA3Rockstar said:

Game pass is there for this reason

When I get an Xbox, the Game Pass will be the first thing I buy. I'm VERY impressed with how much value is included in it. All of these new games being available on the pass at Launch, and just so much variety. It's perfect for anybody just diving in to Xbox.

GTA3Rockstar
Posted (edited)

Gamertags are changing, rumors were true.

Basically how Steam and Battle.net run.

You can have any gamertag and will be assigned a number # if there are more than one

First change is free!

Edited by GTA3Rockstar

Commander S

Bad news: Xbox One Backwards Compatibility is coming to an end as of today - sounds like the plan is to focus on making Scarlett consoles more suitable from the get-go, and working on making any future older games work on that hardware instead. Sad to hear, but totally understandable, all things considered.

Good news: the final batch is really rather good - particularly Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (probably my favourite in the series - particularly the co-op mode). That, and they're making unavailable DLC packs for some Star Wars/Splinter Cell titles (Yavin Station for KotOR, for example) compatible, and available as free title updates, which is pretty cool.

Bit of a shame that Spider-Man 2 is either coming to Scarlett, or ...not at all (and the same for popular requests like Max Payne 3), but it was a darn good run while it lasted - and again, I get why it has to end, considering the priority is hitting the ground running with backwards compatibility on next-gen machines.

el carlitos

Well I did expect more information about the next gen XBX. At least we got a little bit of information. The E3 2020 will be the one that will kick it with NG for sure.

But with all information we have now I will go with the PS5.

Ivan1997GTA
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 5:35 AM, Commander S said:

Bad news: Xbox One Backwards Compatibility is coming to an end as of today - sounds like the plan is to focus on making Scarlett consoles more suitable from the get-go, and working on making any future older games work on that hardware instead. Sad to hear, but totally understandable, all things considered.

Good news: the final batch is really rather good - particularly Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (probably my favourite in the series - particularly the co-op mode). That, and they're making unavailable DLC packs for some Star Wars/Splinter Cell titles (Yavin Station for KotOR, for example) compatible, and available as free title updates, which is pretty cool.

Bit of a shame that Spider-Man 2 is either coming to Scarlett, or ...not at all (and the same for popular requests like Max Payne 3), but it was a darn good run while it lasted - and again, I get why it has to end, considering the priority is hitting the ground running with backwards compatibility on next-gen machines.

I reallly hope the Scarlett will be backwards compatible with most, if not all OG Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One games.

Edited by Ivan1997GTA

DEALUX

It can't be due to licensing issues.

Commander S
5 hours ago, DEALUX said:

Nothing to do with licensing - everything to do with Scarlett hardware.

Worth remembering that Xbox One backwards compatibility wasn't a feature at launch, and currently works via an emulator - in a way, it's not full backwards-compatibility, in the sense of just being able to slap in a 360 disc and have the game run straight from it (instead, discs just serve as proof of purchase, and allow you to download the game and run it through the b-c emulator).

Not sure if Anaconda/Lockhart will be able to run old discs directly, but at the very least, it sounds like they're building in a newer, better system (even if just an improved emulator) from the get-go - and that'll require a lot of time/effort getting stuff from the current b-c library to work on it at launch (never mind if the new hardware is so different to XB1 that Scarlett machines will effectively be treating XB1 games as b-c, too). In any case, they're not using the current method any more, so it makes sense that they stop working on making things run on the XB1 emulator, and instead get on with Scarlett b-c, ready for release next year.

DEALUX

That's not true at all. They are all x86 machines so compatibility issues should be relatively easy to fix. An Xbox is essentially a modified Windows machine running DX12. Yes, the hardware is different but it is about as different as upgrading your CPU\GPU in a PC. Your old games still work if the hardware is optimized at, well, the hardware level.

They can't make all old games compatible because of licensing issues. Some of those games have trademarks or other licensed content that costs money to acquire a license for if possible and Microsoft doesn't really want to deal with that anymore.

Commander S
On 6/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, DEALUX said:

...ah, sorry - looks like I parsed this one incorrectly! :pp

Instead of reading it as "it can't be, due to licensing issues" (i.e. "there are some things that'll never be b-c, because it's not possible for MS to get the required permissions"), I read it as "it can't be due to licensing issues" (i.e. "the end of XB1 b-c can't be due to running out of licensed games to make available").

My bad - and yeah, agreed on that one. Bit like stuff getting delisted because the developer/publisher is defunct, and so the licenses are in a weird limbo state - there's plenty of older stuff where MS doesn't have control over it anymore, and it's nigh-on impossible to work around that.

As for the hardware issue, I get what you're saying, but that still doesn't change the fact that XB1 can't run 360 discs. I'll cop to probably mangling 'hardware' to also mean the overall architecture of the machine/system, not just the component parts, but it's still something beyond merely downloading a system update and suddenly being able to play older titles from the disc (as opposed to simply using them to authenticate ownership of a title, and being given permission to download the digital version for free).

Again, it could just be that Scarlett uses a better emulator (the XB1 b-c emulator was a bit rough at launch - early examples like Halo: Reach weren't great...) - but it'd be ideal if you could slap even an original Xbox disc into a Scarlett console, and play the game straight from it, no download required.

...plus, to combine both strands of this reply (!), that'd get around licensing issues for stuff people already own, at least - if Scarlett can do 'pure' backwards-compatibility instead of emulation, you might not be able to buy a digital version of a delisted game, but you'd still be able to pop in your disc for, say, Alan Wake, and run it (or any other older title) just fine. That's why I hope 'run anything straight from the disc' is the goal, here.

Mister Pinkerton

On 6/11/2019 at 9:03 PM, DEALUX said:

13 hours ago, Commander S said:

Instead of reading it as "it can't be, due to licensing issues" (i.e. "there are some things that'll never be b-c, because it's not possible for MS to get the required permissions"), I read it as "it can't be due to licensing issues" (i.e. "the end of XB1 b-c can't be due to running out of licensed games to make available").

Yeah, I read it like the latter too. :D 

I'm really happy about having 3 or 4 generations of BC on Xbox when Scarlett comes out. 

Edited by Mister Pinkerton

DEALUX

Saying that you hope that the new Xbox will support the same games is like saying that you hope your brand new PC will support the games you were playing previously. Even on Windows 10 you get excellent compatibility with older games (with some tweaks at least). On Xbox it was definitely a given. It's good for them because that way you'll be able to keep playing the games you started on the previous console until they launch more titles that are enhanced for the new console.

Edited by DEALUX