3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Coin

Official Xbox One Topic

D9fred95

Argh, they removed Max Payne 1 and 2 from the store. Guessing licensing issues, though I'm not sure what music in MP1 would cause a delist.

Stormingz

I've been thinking about getting an external hard drive for my Xbox one, I've seen a few on the internet that are 320GB for around £20, I just wanted to ask if there is some sort of specific hard drive that only works with the Xbox One's? Or can I buy one of these off the internet? Most of the descriptions I've found say that they are compatible, but I'd rather make sure before I make the purchase.

trip
36 minutes ago, Stormingz said:

I've been thinking about getting an external hard drive for my Xbox one, I've seen a few on the internet that are 320GB for around £20, I just wanted to ask if there is some sort of specific hard drive that only works with the Xbox One's? Or can I buy one of these off the internet? Most of the descriptions I've found say that they are compatible, but I'd rather make sure before I make the purchase.

I would recommend saving up a few more dollars for something larger.  320 is a bit small.  Anything 256 or below will only work for storing media...no games.

Whatever is going to have the best throughput through USB 3.0 might be the only real thing to factor.

I have a cheap ass WD passport 2tb drive hooked up and have no complaints.   I think I paid 100 USD but that was back whenever the x1 was new.

AiraCobra
On 3/8/2019 at 5:53 PM, D9fred95 said:

Argh, they removed Max Payne 1 and 2 from the store. Guessing licensing issues, though I'm not sure what music in MP1 would cause a delist.

Is this what your looking for?

its the full soundtrack from the game

D9fred95
2 minutes ago, AiraCobra said:

Is this what your looking for?

its the full soundtrack from the game

Most of that is the OST, which probably wouldn't result in a license removal. MP2 had Late Goodbye but I'm not sure what if any songs of that nature would be in MP1. 

AiraCobra
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, D9fred95 said:

Most of that is the OST, which probably wouldn't result in a license removal. MP2 had Late Goodbye but I'm not sure what if any songs of that nature would be in MP1. 

Ooh my mistake, I though you were looking for the soundtrack to listen to when you did I don’t know what music was in MP didn’t see “to delist it”

Edited by AiraCobra

Commander S
6 hours ago, trip said:

I would recommend saving up a few more dollars for something larger.  320 is a bit small.  Anything 256 or below will only work for storing media...no games.

Whatever is going to have the best throughput through USB 3.0 might be the only real thing to factor.

I have a cheap ass WD passport 2tb drive hooked up and have no complaints.   I think I paid 100 USD but that was back whenever the x1 was new.

Similar here - got a 1 TB WD My Passport Ultra for around £50 just over a year ago. @Stormingz, if you're more likely to need more space for larger games, maybe save up for a 2 TB instead - I got more space just by upgrading to a One X last year, and I don't buy masses of huge games, so 2 TB overall (1 TB console internal, 1 TB external drive) is more than enough for my needs, but might not be if you're on a base One, or have lots of huge (RDR2, for instance) things you want installed.

Also, as @trip points out, as long is it's USB 3.0, you should be fine - don't get confused by things like official licensed Xbox One drives, because they're just green versions of regular drives with an Xbox logo on them. That, and they're Seagate, and Seagate doesn't have a great reputation for reliability. Worth bearing in mind that external drives will last longer if you aren't planning on unplugging them and taking them out and about - you might read articles/guides warning that 'it's not a matter of if a drive will fail, but when', but that's mostly to do with drives getting knocked/dropped when people use them as mobile storage, not just permanently-plugged-in extra storage for a console that doesn't leave the shelf.

One thing to note with an Xbox One is that while any USB 3.0 drives will work fine, that's because the console will format them to be compatible, by basically wiping anything like PC software that might be on them. It'll warn you this when you plug the drive into your console, but once that happens, that drive is now Xbox One only - you can't use it as a universal drive for PC or whatever once it's been formatted to work with your console. It will, however, work just fine with any Xbox One, including a One X - you can even save your personal One settings to the drive, if you want to then swap to a One X, and you can then plug in the drive when you first switch on your One X, and it'll factor those settings into the setup process. :)

Stormingz

@trip, @Commander S I’ll be getting one of the bigger ones then, don’t want to buy one of the smaller sized hard drives and be back in the same position I’m in now. Thanks for your inputs!

GTA3Rockstar
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Stormingz said:

@trip, @Commander S I’ll be getting one of the bigger ones then, don’t want to buy one of the smaller sized hard drives and be back in the same position I’m in now. Thanks for your inputs!

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA4000400/dp/B017KE8OG0/ref=sr_1_7?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1552559649&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A5446816011&rnid=562234011&s=pc&sr=1-7

This is the one I have. I got it a couple years ago for ~$150. I have 259 games installed on it - 75% full - 925GB left

$90 for 4TB USB powered is a good deal

Edited by GTA3Rockstar

Stormingz
3 hours ago, GTA3Rockstar said:

This is the one I have. I got it a couple years ago for ~$150. I have 259 games installed on it - 75% full - 925GB left

$90 for 4TB USB powered is a good deal

I’ve ended up buying a Sonnics 1TB for £40 on Ebay.

GTA3Rockstar
6 hours ago, Stormingz said:

I’ve ended up buying a Sonnics 1TB for £40 on Ebay.

Decent, but you still might run into storage problems later. 1TB could probably hold 20 full Xbox One games (at 40GB/ea).

Stormingz
57 minutes ago, GTA3Rockstar said:

Decent, but you still might run into storage problems later. 1TB could probably hold 20 full Xbox One games (at 40GB/ea).

I really don’t have that many games that I play, it’s all these game updates that frequently happen that seem to take up most of my storage. Generally, once I feel like I’ve finished with a game, I just delete it to make more room for other games.

GTA3Rockstar
1 hour ago, Stormingz said:

I really don’t have that many games that I play, it’s all these game updates that frequently happen that seem to take up most of my storage. Generally, once I feel like I’ve finished with a game, I just delete it to make more room for other games.

Yea, probably 90% of mine are just Games with Gold games lol

Stormingz
41 minutes ago, GTA3Rockstar said:

Yea, probably 90% of mine are just Games with Gold games lol

Yeah, I’ve got exactly 249 games that are ready to install, some are old 360 games that are now backwards compatible, a sh*t ton of games for gold that have been released over the years, and the rest are games that I’ve bought. I can’t even begin to imagine how much memory space I’d need for all my games on the console.

DEALUX

Anyone else have an issue where save games get corrupted all the time? Is my main HDD dying?

Mister Pinkerton
On 3/16/2019 at 11:51 AM, DEALUX said:

Anyone else have an issue where save games get corrupted all the time? Is my main HDD dying?

Only had that issue once and I think it could have been down to shutting off the machine too quickly, not a fault of the HDD. 

What you might try do is back everything up and format the drive. See if it still gives you issues. 

DEALUX

Is that an Xbox feature or do I have to actually physically remove it and connect it to a PC?

trip

He might mean the factory reset.  When you factory it gives you the option to keep your stuff or start from scratch. The start from scratch would be like a reformat (I suspect).

I used to have to do it to my first Xbox one - not because of corrupt saves.  I would turn on the xbox and it would prompt me to do the factory reset.  Eventually I used it as an excuse to get an onex.

Mister Pinkerton
1 hour ago, trip said:

He might mean the factory reset.  When you factory it gives you the option to keep your stuff or start from scratch. The start from scratch would be like a reformat (I suspect).

Yeah, sorry I should have specified. That's exactly what I mean. Start from scratch.  You might just re-add stuff bit by bit in case it's a particular corrupt bit of data that's causing it. At least if you add what you need bit by bit you can keep track of if/when it starts acting up again - assuming its just corrupt data. 

I used to work for 360 tech support. Most of the time when there were freezing issues, problems with save-files, it was just because there was one bit of corrupt data on the HDD causing problem - usually another corrupt savefile.   I remember you could go in to and view files and saves and it could be one corrupt save file that would cause the thing to crash or act funny. First we'd isolate the issue, by removing the HDD. See if issue occurs without the HDD. If works fine without the HDD then we've isolated it to the HDD. You can try to a reset on the HDD and keep your stuff - no harm in trying that first. If that doesn't work, I think your saves are on the cloud anyway, so you might delete everything and start from scratch. One thing that comes to mind though.. could a corrupt savefile be stored on the cloud? That would be frustrating. I'm not too savvy on the One and One X on the troubleshooting side of things. I'm sure someone else in here is more in the know. 

DEALUX

I did that once when I got RDR2. The install process borked the whole thing (goddamn R*) and the console refused to boot up lol. I'll wait and see if the issue comes up again. Weirdly enough it seems that all save games are corrupted and I did encounter some very strange bugs in Forza Horizon 2 as well and soft locks.