1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Bamboozle

GTA VCS or GTA VC which has the better 80s atmosphere?

Bamboozle

Despite having the same map, these two games have very different atmospheres.

The soundtrack is a factor as well because it sets the tone of the game.

Personally I prefer VCS because the atmosphere there is perfected with the neon, sky and color. The songs also actually corresponds to their radio stations more. Flash fm finally sounds like an actual pop station, V rock has got heavier rock, something it should've had, VCFL was a big plus, Emotion 98.3 was massively improved and so on.

Auxillary VII

I feel like vcs has the better 80s atmosphere, empire building would fit due to all the drug dealing in the 80's

ClaudeIzABadAzz

I think VCS has the better atmosphere, but VC's atmosphere was more fun to play in.

jaljax

I think VCS has the better atmosphere, but VC's atmosphere was more fun to play in.

I agree.

Bamboozle

How?

ClaudeIzABadAzz

How?

Due to higher graphics, VCS had better looking lights, neon, etc etc, but VC is my favourite GTA of all time, thus I enjoyed the atmoshpere a lot more.

Miamivicecity

Vice City. VCS was too cartoonish to me. Vice City literally felt like Scarface in GTA form at the time. A sunny and vibrant location with dark undertones.

IndogamersPro

GTA VCS atmosphere, and storyline is a lot better IMO. too bad it wasn't available for PC.

Bamboozle

Vice city made me think the 80s was cool.

Vice city stories made me want to go to the 80s.

Coops95

10 years ago I would of said VCS over VC because of vibrant colours but getting older, I can very well see Vice City have this "unexplainable magic" in the atmosphere around you. I do like VCS colours, neons and atmosphere but Vice City atmosphere for me.

Like Algonquin Assassin says, Vice City has nice sense of colours but has dark undertones with Scarface's theme that perfects it.

Edited by Will Lorenzo Cooper

AmigaMix

I don't get the Vice City/Scarface-comparisons (apart from the obvious stylization and aesthetics).

IMO, Scarface was a movie about a toxic, socially inept (with some freudian tendencies) person's demise into a broken shell of a man (With the american dream/rise to power-theme as juxtaposition).

Tomy Vercetti was more ruthless (or "badass"), more stable than Tony Montana and lacked any form of inner conflict.

To stay on topic:

Vice City, to me, came closer (e.g. more gritty) to my perception of 80's Miami. The neon-stuff in VCS was really over the top (but pretty :) ).

I will say that VCS's soundtrack felt less like a best-of cd and more like a collection of "real radio stations".

Edited by AmigaMix

Bamboozle

Huh, i always liked how despite having the colorful and happier atmosphere, VCS had the darker storyline. It's as if a parallel was drawn there on purpose.

GrudgefromSanAndreas

If VC is more like Miami Vice than VCS, then i'll go for VC, but on the other hand, VCS had Phil Collins! Hard to decide :/:whuh:

Edited by GrudgefromSanAndreas

Bamboozle

If VC is more like Miami Vice than VCS, then i'll go for VC, but on the other hand, VCS had Phil Collins! Hard to decide :/:whuh:

VCS is more like Miami Vice. Vice city is more like scarface.

GrudgefromSanAndreas

Well i didnt play VCS yet but from the videos i've seen VCS had "more normal" and smoother atmosphere. Then i'd probably go for VCS also because of the singer i've mentioned

Terrc87

VCS is more "shiny" rather than VC atmosphere and from my POV VCS isnt feel 80s enough even tho the setting is early-middle 80s but I dont get the 80s feels, but it still a goos game with a driven storyline

Bamboozle

All this time I still could not understand why people prefer Vice City over Vice City Stories.

Vice City was my very first GTA so nostalgia bias definitely has nothing to do with it.

I don't know, Vice City Stories felt more lively and happy, compared to the darker tones of Vice City. The soundtrack of VCS is a very big plus. The only game where I have trouble deciding on one station.

VC felt like try-hard 80s. While VCS was still try-hard 80s, it was perfected and felt more natural. VCS depicted the city like a paradise you want to go to with all the neon at night.

Like I said, VC made me think the 80s was cool. VCS made me want to the go to the 80s.

ClaudeIzABadAzz

The only reason VCS looks better is because of the improved graphics. If VCS came out in 2002 and VC came out in 2006, then it'd be the other way around, wouldn't it? Because everyone would say that VCS felt super 80s but also gritty, and that VC had the better atmosphere due to neon lights etc etc.

Bamboozle

No not really, the graphics are a given thing but the art direction is obviously different in both games.

VC was more similar to Scarface, with it's gritty atmosphere and tone of the story.

VCS on the other hand was more similar to Miami Vice or something. The 80s is depicted as a paradise for party with the soundtrack, neon and stuff.

Miamivicecity

All this time I still could not understand why people prefer Vice City over Vice City Stories.

Vice City was my very first GTA so nostalgia bias definitely has nothing to do with it.

I don't know, Vice City Stories felt more lively and happy, compared to the darker tones of Vice City. The soundtrack of VCS is a very big plus. The only game where I have trouble deciding on one station.

VC felt like try-hard 80s. While VCS was still try-hard 80s, it was perfected and felt more natural. VCS depicted the city like a paradise you want to go to with all the neon at night.

Like I said, VC made me think the 80s was cool. VCS made me want to the go to the 80s.

VCS has no enterable Malibu Club though.

80s atmosphere flushed down the toilet. :p

Bamboozle

I never understood why people make a big deal about that club. Sure I'm sad too that I can't enter the club along with many other interiors.

I may not be speaking on behalf of everyone but I think the only reason I liked the club is because that, along with Ocean beach, Washington mall, pole position and other places are the only places in GTA VC that gives off that "happy happy party" vibe with the neons and stuff.

However in VCS Rockstar tried to make every inch of that city give off that vibe. Mostly everywhere you go, you would still feel like you're in the party zone. Take Mainland, which was a sad old sh*t hole in GTA VCS is now amped up to new levels. You can say the neons were overkill but it does a great job at making the city feel so much more lively. Though an actual club would still add to the atmosphere but I digress.

Not to mention the soundtrack in VCS gives off a different vibe compared to the one in VC despite both being 80s themed. Music is subjective so you definitely have to listen to both soundtracks yourself to come to your own conclusions but I think the VCS soundtrack was better and a big improvement due to being more consistent.

GTA VCS depicts the city as a true neon paradise where everyone's high on coke, wearing pastels and is partying (more similar to Miami Vice) while GTA VC depicts the city in a more realistic way as a city that's dark but is still a great place to be in (more similar to Scarface)

All in all it depends on your own style but seriously who would choose anything over paradise?

Edited by Bamboozle

Ondr4H
Posted (edited)

Malibu club is maybe another R* joke.

VCS whole city is a neverending party so you cannot enter Malibu

VC whole city is settled version of 80s, only fun is in Malibu club .

Edited by Ondr4H

Mr_Rager

VCS just does more for me visually, the colors, dark oranges and purples, the music selection, it just feels very 80s to me. I'll take the Phil concert over the Malibu Club any day of the week btw. :p

Edited by Mr_Rager

Journey_95

VC for sure, just felt more real and less plastic/fake. Still like VCS a lot though, underrated GTA game.

Edited by Journey_95

Miamivicecity

I'll take the Phil concert over the Malibu Club any day of the week btw. :p

tenor.gif?itemid=9248987

You lose all your cool points bro.

iiCriminnaaL 49

As for the more 80'ish, I think VCS' got a little more. But I prefer the atmosphere and feel of VC after all.

universetwisters

Vice City for me. Vice City Stories feels like it tried to replicate the feel of Vice City but with the new (!) technologies of 2006 with crazy f*cking neon. It didn't look too good and it just makes everything look ugly.

Jack Lupino

I think its a tie both does a great job of bringing out 80s atmosphere.

But if i have to choose VCS slightly edges out VC imo because Vic uses pager instead of cellphone like tommy.

Miamivicecity
15 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Vice City for me. Vice City Stories feels like it tried to replicate the feel of Vice City but with the new (!) technologies of 2006 with crazy f*cking neon. It didn't look too good and it just makes everything look ugly.

Yeah. I think they went a bit over the top with neons and pastel colours in VCS. Vice City feels more like an upbeat GTA III in the 80s. 

Legomanarthur

I say Vice City. Maybe because I played it first but I think it has a better atmosphere. The weather, the music, the colors, everything made me feel like I was in the 80s and I've never lived that period. I remember being on Starfish Island watching the sunny weather, the deep blue water, and the airplane flying in the distance, everything was perfect. I don't have the same feeling when I play VCS, but it's possible that playing it on PSP has something to do with that.