Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,526 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Homemade Dynamite

Underrated Comic Book Characters

Homemade Dynamite

Which characters do you think are underrated, whether it'd be a lack of exposure to audiences or general misconception regarding them?

As I've mentioned before, one I find to be criminally underrated due to being screwed over by the execs is Cassandra Cain, who held the title of Batgirl for nearly a decade when Barbara was crippled and became Oracle, then Cass became Blackbat, and is now known as Orphan. Despite appearing in over 400 issues since her '99 debut, she's basically never used in media adaptations. Even during her near six-year run headlining her own series, they never used her in any animated series or video games featuring the Batfamily. In fact, they'd use Barbara because of recognition despite the fact that it wasn't true to the comics. To give you an idea of how dumb that is, it would be like if Young Justice only used the Ted Kord Blue Beetle instead of Jaime Reyes.

She has an awesome story, and would contribute incredible fight scenes with her ability to predict her opponent's moves and supreme martial arts skills. I find it especially mindboggling in the Arkham Games how she was never even mentioned or implied to exist, considering that those games are all about paying homage to the Batman mythos AND had Barbara as Oracle. Is there someone in the boardroom who doesn't like her or something? I wish she'd get a chance outside the comics. I'd like her to appear in Young Justice: Outsiders, especially since her friends Spoiler and Robin III are in it, but somehow I doubt she will. There is some hope, since Spoiler is making her animated debut here, maybe she can too.

So, anyone in comics you find to be underrated, and why?

∴

Aquaman gets a lot of stick for some reason, I always thought the concept was brilliant even if his costume was goofy. I can't see that being the reason though because his outfit is by far the least hilarious. He has to at least somehow look like a fish.

Uncle Sikee Atric

I think all comic book characters have bouts of fandom and fashion, so their popularity waxes and wanes constantly with only the select few remaining at the top of the pile....

I think The Black Bat is a great character and very misunderstood. Most just discard him as a Batman clone, but the truth is actually in reverse and the inspiration for Batman came from The Black Bat.

I think a modern remake and a new take on the original 30's stories is long overdue, so long as they could make him different from Batman! (I know there has been a reboot in print, but maybe a TV series would be better in this case.)

Edited by Uncle Sikee Atric

darthYENIK

Kate Bishop is my nominee, obviously. Unlike other "gender swaps" Marvel has done recently, she was gradually worked her way into the role of Hawkeye. Needless to say, if you haven't read Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, it's highly recommended.

Jason

Ol' bucket head, Nova.

He had an amazing character arc that stretched from Annihilation through to The Thanos Imperative in what was one of the best overall story arcs Marvel has done but since then he's been poorly treated by writers (ahem, Bendis) and then mucked about with by Marvel when they tried to make another Spider-Man type character by creating a teenage Nova with Sam Alexander's character.

There rumours about Marvel doing a Nova film after Avengers 4 keep popping up though, and if they're going to continue with the cosmic side of things they really can't do it without him, so fingers and toes crossed for that.

ProKiller93

Big Wheel

confederatestatesgta

abraham ford. abraham is my favorite walking dead character that is dead. he was so cool. i think he died way too early. he should be alive now. if he was alive him and negan would compete for my favorite character slot. i feel like he was heavily underrated. he didint have many fans. and when he died nobody cared. i read the letter hacks and he didint get much attention. he was one of ricks best people. and he was such a badass. but yet nobody cared about him. it makes me sad. that people could forget about such an amazing character. even in the show. he died with glenn. and of course nobody cared about abe when he died. all they cared about was glenn. it sucks i mean sure glenn was a good character i liked him better in the comics. but all people cared about was glenn. abraham should not have died. daryl should have died instead. rip abe you might not be missed by many people but you made me happy and thats all that matters.

Chang

Cerebus by Dave Sim

Comic was a thinkers mind trip.

:) I Chang

SmokesWithCigs

abraham ford. abraham is my favorite walking dead character that is dead. he was so cool. i think he died way too early. he should be alive now. if he was alive him and negan would compete for my favorite character slot. i feel like he was heavily underrated. he didint have many fans. and when he died nobody cared. i read the letter hacks and he didint get much attention. he was one of ricks best people. and he was such a badass. but yet nobody cared about him. it makes me sad. that people could forget about such an amazing character. even in the show. he died with glenn. and of course nobody cared about abe when he died. all they cared about was glenn. it sucks i mean sure glenn was a good character i liked him better in the comics. but all people cared about was glenn. abraham should not have died. daryl should have died instead. rip abe you might not be missed by many people but you made me happy and thats all that matters.

Abrahams death was over due. he dies earlier than that in the comics. he was supposed to get that arrow in the neck mid conversation instead of the fat chick with the glasses.

confederatestatesgta

Abrahams death was over due. he dies earlier than that in the comics. he was supposed to get that arrow in the neck mid conversation instead of the fat chick with the glasses.

yea but there are plenty of characters in the show that are alive. and their comic counterparts are dead. like morgan and carol. so why couldent tv show abe get some more screen time?

jaljax

Polka Dot Man

TheCrazyMercenary

Captain Canuck, Underrated because-

Not known by a lot of people, good storyline but no one else likes it, original but not original to those "Marvel and DC" die-hards, he blends in with the 80's comics (trust me the remake is horrible but okay.) he is a Canadian (Trevor lmao)enough of jokes, lets get in with his character, "Captain Canuck represented a series of comics that were indie before indie comics were even a thing in the 70s," series writer and editor in chief of the new Captain Canuck, "Its creator, Richard Comely was really a pioneer in creating this comic outside of the mainstream with this weird, strangely nice character that had super strength, all given to him by an alien beam and this odd indestructible suit." he is a "old but gold" genre character. (for me).