Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Arena War
      2. After Hours
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA Next

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

tonymontana5

Things GTA Vice City did better than GTA San Andreas

Recommended Posts

American Venom

Vercetti Estate > Madd Dogg's crib. Inside of the mansion I feel like I'm in Scarface. Madd Doog's crib is really generic and kind of just feels like a slightly bigger safehouse compared to the rest of the copy & paste safehouses in San Andreas. It's boring.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
perennial
9 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

Vercetti Estate > Madd Dogg's crib. Inside of the mansion I feel like I'm in Scarface. Madd Doog's crib is really generic and kind of just feels like a slightly bigger safehouse compared to the rest of the copy & paste safehouses in San Andreas. It's boring. 

Madd Dogg's crib doesn't have bodyguards or weapon spawns either unlike Vercetti Mansion. I was also disappointed to find out the garages at the Madd Dogg's crib couldn't be used. The other purchasable safehouse of the Vinewood hills was more useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
American Venom
25 minutes ago, perennial said:

Madd Dogg's crib doesn't have bodyguards or weapon spawns either unlike Vercetti Mansion. I was also disappointed to find out the garages at the Madd Dogg's crib couldn't be used. The other purchasable safehouse of the Vinewood hills was more useful.

Something I forgot to mention is I like the personal touch that Tommy named it after himself. Even though he didn't buy it and took it by force it's a cool little touch nonetheless. Madd Dogg's crib makes CJ feel like a squatter IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
YanUK

VC utilised the game world better.

SA whilst arguably being the forerunner to the hit "open world" games we see today, felt too "open world".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bryce Montrose

GTA Vice City storyline is far better than GTA SA, and GTA Vice City bike sound was so cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evil empire

-The bloodring is much funnier than in San Fierro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snowman

Business assets were much better utilized and feel important to the game. Some have repeatable missions which is cool.

 

The story felt more single-minded and a lot less contrived. A lot of San Andreas' story felt like filler they put in just to make use of the big map.

 

Tommy's ascent to power feels much more impactful. From Forelli proletariat working out of a hotel room to running a criminal empire from his Scarface compound with his henchmen roaming around is an unmatched experience.

 

Interiors being connected to the outside world. SA's interiors felt solipsistic and isolated.

 

PC controls being 1000% superior for combat. Persistent reticle when wielding a gun + strafing made the game almost have an FPS feel. SA lacking this layout for PC in favor of the "cinematic" style camera and click-to-aim style of play made combat less skillful.

 

Guns actually feel different compared to nearly every gun in the same class feeling the same in San Andreas.

 

The streets felt a lot more dangerous. Strolling into Little Haiti after Trojan Voodoo is nearly a death sentence if you're not prepared, gangs in SA had sh*t aim and were not really a threat.

 

CJ shaky moral code of being against the drug dealing Ballas, but has no problem with other equally harmful rackets. Tommy has no contradictions; he doesn't pretend to be a good guy, he's here to take over Vice City by any means necessary.

Edited by Snowman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25

SA is nearly a complete game IMO but there were some things in VC that didn't appear in SA. These are some of the few flaws I found in SA. 

 

-Paper litter on the ground

-the ability to rob shops

-a far better interior system. cops can shoot you from outside and even come in. How better SA could be with this feature? Your recruited gang members could probably enter different places with you if this feature existed. Also far better loading times for interiors in VC. 

-Better draw distance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snowman
On 1/2/2019 at 2:28 AM, TheSantader25 said:

 

Your recruited gang members could probably enter different places with you if this feature existed. Also far better loading times for interiors in VC. 

 

 


A lot of people don't know this, but once you complete Vice City 100% you can recruit 3 Vercetti gang members from Tommy's estate. And you're right, they do follow you into interiors!

vc.png

Their AI is not as good as recruited gang members in SA (they only start shooting at enemies after they've successfully hit you) but they become useful during high wanted levels where you're taking unavoidable shots from lots of police.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Snowman said:


A lot of people don't know this, but once you complete Vice City 100% you can recruit 3 Vercetti gang members from Tommy's estate. And you're right, they do follow you into interiors!

vc.png

Their AI is not as good as recruited gang members in SA (they only start shooting at enemies after they've successfully hit you) but they become useful during high wanted levels where you're taking unavoidable shots from lots of police.

Yes I was actually aware of this though I never took them to interiors. This proves that if SA used the same system the gang members could follow you inside. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Evil empire

When you get the 100% completion you receive infinite ammo for all your weapons whereas in San Andreas you only gain this reward for the weapons you had when you achieved it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thehambone
  • Cars in Vice City have reverse-indicator lights. Cars in San Andreas do not.
  • Raindrops and blood spatters on-screen
  • Tommy is a much cooler, tougher protagonist than CJ, IMO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49

Kinda off-topic:

 

Small, but interesting detail: I noticed that in GTA Vice City and San Andreas, in comparison to GTA III, Tommy and Carl have very different in-game walk animations compared to how they walk in cutscenes. And I might be the only one, but I find CJ's in-game walk animation more suitable for Tommy than the former himself. It feels so similar to the latter's cutscene animation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iiCriminnaaL 49

Another small detail I liked about GTA Vice City, but wasn't that impressive in San Andreas: phone calls post the story's ending. Tommy receives a couple of remarkable phone calls from people he worked with, thanking him and wishing him good luck. Colonel Cortez also ensures if Tommy is taking care of his (Cortez') daughter. That was satisfying and beautiful. But what about San Andreas? Someone could've expected something similar from several characters, such as: The Truth, Zero, Woozie, Toreno, Rosenberg, or whoever else. But that wasn't the case. CJ only gets a call from Catalina, moaning and trying to get him jealous.

 

Now that's definitely not a reason I would depreciate San Andreas for, but just a small detail I liked to share. It has been refined later in IV, The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nico

The post-cutscene monologues. Very minor detail, sure, but something unique in the series and good opportunities to enhance Tommy's character even when the situation doesn't call for it. Many years later I still remember many of those funny monologues.

 

"Who does he think he is? Now I gotta dress like a chump to hang out with them? I like this shirt."

 

"Who are these pricks, anyway? Lawyer pricks, rug-wearing pricks, I'm surrounded by pricks!"

 

"Alright, more crap to wipe up. What I did wrong in the past life?"

 

"This guy is my new friend. I never had a friend with a wig before."

 

"Diaz, huh? Apparently that angry midget runs this madhouse. Let's see what that creep has to do with things."

 

"This asshole thinks he can mess with me? If this is the best thing Vice City has to offer, this is gonna be easy."

 

"The last thing I needed was this. Maybe the last thing I needed was an enema, but this comes close."

 

"Abandonment issues, who is this prick? Why can't I meet someone normal for a change?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FoxSites

One of the biggest things gta vice city did better is atmosphere, atmosphere is something gta sa is lacking especially after they decided to remove the orange “glow” after the ps2 version which i’m still not sure why I thought it was a cool effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Renny

Think Vice City had a more memorable soundtrack, but San Andreas's was alright too with Horse with No Name and a bunch of the songs on K-Rose, but to be fair I haven't give many of the other radio stations a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IndogamersPro

You can legshot and armshot pedestrians in GTA Vice City, they'll splatter blood and perform a unique animation and dies instantly. In GTA San Andreas, they simply only take damage or die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beato_dim
On 2/20/2019 at 12:49 AM, Nico said:

The post-cutscene monologues. Very minor detail, sure, but something unique in the series and good opportunities to enhance Tommy's character even when the situation doesn't call for it. Many years later I still remember many of those funny monologues.

 

"Who does he think he is? Now I gotta dress like a chump to hang out with them? I like this shirt."

 

"Who are these pricks, anyway? Lawyer pricks, rug-wearing pricks, I'm surrounded by pricks!"

 

"Alright, more crap to wipe up. What I did wrong in the past life?"

 

"This guy is my new friend. I never had a friend with a wig before."

 

"Diaz, huh? Apparently that angry midget runs this madhouse. Let's see what that creep has to do with things."

 

"This asshole thinks he can mess with me? If this is the best thing Vice City has to offer, this is gonna be easy."

 

"The last thing I needed was this. Maybe the last thing I needed was an enema, but this comes close."

 

"Abandonment issues, who is this prick? Why can't I meet someone normal for a change?"

also, "Dumb. Florida. Morons."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timcatgt5

I wasn't born in the 80s and I don't listen to it like I love it, but the soundtrack felt right at home. It had a variety of genres that settled in during that time and was appropriately set for a generation that had been remembered for such a thing. 

 

It introduced aerial vehicles like helicopters, to navigate the city easier, along with a reasonably sized map, so you can get to locations quicker by any means of transport. 

 

A story driven experience, backed up by a member of the Forelli family who wishes to expand his criminal empire in an area with potential. 

 

More content such as motorcycles, street races, protection rackets and asset missions. 

 

A memorable protagonist with a good criminal background, compared to Claude and CJ, with the former being a gun for hire, only he lacked the motivation to expand his interests, other than finding the woman that betrayed him, and the latter doing things out of his element, like establishing influences over 3 cities, a stake in a casino, being a rap musicians manager, a car dealership and garage and the co-leader of a street gang, which is unrealistic for a once upon a time gangbanger.

 

San Andreas had the better content, ensemble cast and the expanded map, but Vice City was better in terms of atmosphere and inclusion to capture the classic scene of the 1980s as a whole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.