4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

The Audiophile Thread

DEALUX

owl-man

I've just got some 80ohm DT770s, don't really have much to say about them, they're nice. Had them a while. Got a bit of treble that irritates my tinnitus sometimes tho, but I can deal with it.

https://imgur.com/a/VdnPuLE

Got a question, is an ex-display ATH-A1000x for about 470 aud a deal I should go for or pass on?

Should I get some photos of my grandma's old audio and home theatre setup some time? The audio stuff is from a dead brand so I have pretty much zero info on it.

sivispacem
1 hour ago, owl-man said:

Got a question, is an ex-display ATH-A1000x for about 470 aud a deal I should go for or pass on

You'd really need to try them. I really rate the ATH Art series I've tried (the 990Z and 1000Z) but I've never tried the older X models. They have a very typical Audio-Technica profile with a bit of boost in the mids and midbass which suits the majority of music I listen to.

The headband design is very much an acquired taste though- I've modified mine for a better fit.

• Like 1
owl-man
12 hours ago, sivispacem said:

You'd really need to try them. I really rate the ATH Art series I've tried (the 990Z and 1000Z) but I've never tried the older X models. They have a very typical Audio-Technica profile with a bit of boost in the mids and midbass which suits the majority of music I listen to.

The headband design is very much an acquired taste though- I've modified mine for a better fit.

I wish I could try it before buying, but it's a store in WA, not Vic. Can't try the 1000z either because we don't get that model, not that I'd get it anyway since it's over 700 dollars.

Probably a better deal than kph30i for 70-80 dollars tho.

Edited by owl-man
sivispacem
3 hours ago, owl-man said:

I wish I could try it before buying, but it's a store in WA, not Vic. Can't try the 1000z either because we don't get that model, not that I'd get it anyway since it's over 700 dollars.

Probably a better deal than kph30i for 70-80 dollars tho.

Oh undoubtedly, but I am also left wondering how long they've been sitting out as "display" models given that they were released in 2011 and replaced by the Z series in 2016.

I imagine they're very similar to the Z, certainly from the specification there's not much difference between the two. 

• Like 1
DEALUX
On 2/18/2021 at 4:48 AM, SilverRST said:

Beyerdynamic makes amazing audio stuff like the headphones. I have 5 Beyer headphones lol

The DT990 is usually known for painfull treble. I'm sensitive to painfull "sss" so the DT990 probably would murder my ears. I do have the DT880 250ohm and it's one of my favorites. The soundstage is big and am not sure why it's labeled as semi-open. The Beyer Tygr 300R seems to be a DT990 with less aggressive treble.

I noticed that even the 990 has a bit more dampening on the back than something like the HD600 or HD800 (which are completely open). They do isolate somewhat but sound very open and spacious. They are harsh for sure but a bit of EQ helps. I just love how good the imaging and clarity is for $150 so it makes me more forgivable of their other flaws.

SilverRST
36 minutes ago, DEALUX said:

I noticed that even the 990 has a bit more dampening on the back than something like the HD600 or HD800 (which are completely open). They do isolate somewhat but sound very open and spacious. They are harsh for sure but a bit of EQ helps. I just love how good the imaging and clarity is for $150 so it makes me more forgivable of their other flaws.

It does indeed. Beyers do have a lot of great headphones with many different sound signatures. Ever tried Amiron Home? That's the perfect headphone for movies because of its cinematic audio and great bass extension details and it's amaing too for gaming. Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean they are automatically superior to less expensive ones. Also not sure why the DT880 is semi-open because it sounds very open and spacious too lol

sivispacem

Yeah the treble harshness on the 880 and 990 are the only real criticisms for them, especially at the price.

SilverRST
On 2/19/2021 at 3:17 PM, sivispacem said:

Yeah the treble harshness on the 880 and 990 are the only real criticisms for them, especially at the price.

Turned down the frequencies that are responsible for the harshness and it's a damn good headphone.

DEALUX
On 2/19/2021 at 4:17 PM, sivispacem said:

Yeah, it's kind of uncanny. Even without the peaks at 6K and 8K (250 ohm model apparently has a peak at ~13K as well) the upper treble is 2-3 dB too elevated. It makes them sound very spacious but it reveals the harshness in most recordings.

The articulation would be improved without the peaks and artificial elevation. The clarity actually reminds me a lot of some in-ears. There's something about that direct interaction with the eardrum that makes treble sound very precise but in-ears severely lack in terms of extension up top, so they perform poorly for detail overall.

Edited by DEALUX
SilverRST

There are different types of trebles. Soft treble, harsh treble, fatiguing and other trebles. My Klipsch Heritage HP-3 have a very sparkly and vivid treble and no harshness. Sibilance is the most annoying, that sh*t can be really painfull and ear and brain piercing.

Edited by SilverRST
  • Like 1
DEALUX
4 hours ago, SilverRST said:

There are different types of trebles. Soft treble, harsh treble, fatiguing and other trebles. My Klipsch Heritage HP-3 have a very sparkly and vivid treble and no harshness. Sibilance is the most annoying, that sh*t can be really painfull and ear and brain piercing.

All Beyers have one or two spikes in the treble that deviate from a generic HRTF (basically how your ear subjectively perceives a flat set of reference speakers, AKA studio neutral) hence the harshness. They also overdo the upper treble.

Xwmzzik.png

SilverRST
19 hours ago, DEALUX said:

All Beyers have one or two spikes in the treble that deviate from a generic HRTF (basically how your ear subjectively perceives a flat set of reference speakers, AKA studio neutral) hence the harshness. They also overdo the upper treble.

Xwmzzik.png

Well, not really 😛 Amiron Wireless (Copper) and T5p.2 do not have the spikes. The "sss" is so silky smooth, like an angel is pissing in your ears lol

But those are not studio headphones of course, more for home use. But screw it, EQ the DT880/990 and they are damn awesome!