Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (91,970 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Mister Pink

Nicholas Cage Appreciation Thread

Mister Pink

nicolas-cage-didnt-last-long-bong-in-60-

Nicholas Cage is an oddball character. Part of me doesn't know if he's just cruising off his Coppola blood-ties/name or if he's some sort of mad genius. I like to think a little bit of both. Some of his performances are touching like Leaving Las Vegas and others bit goofy like in Vampires Kiss.

For me, he's usually a joy to watch but he sort of defies all logic and sensibilities. He doesn't look rugged in a good way or handsome. He's not like the guys want to be or act like him like a cool, slick Robert De Niro or Clint Eastwood. He's this oddball weirdo looking creep but incredibly endearing. I think he has some layer of comedic genius that he taps in to whether he realizes he's doing it or not.

He's not someone I throw in to my favourite actors top 5. But I was just thinking about some of his films and I realize I do have a great fondness for him. On an entertainment level, he probably makes it in to my top 10.

Recently I watched this criminally underrated heist film where Cage does a "typical" cage performance. When I say typical, it's not a negative, it's a compliment. Got me thinking about more of his films.

I "watched" Joe but fell asleep as I was on medication. I'll watch it again. There's Bad Lieutenant, The Frozen Ground and then all the National Treasure, Gone in 60 Seconds, 8MM, The Rock, Con Air, Face/Off and Raising Arizona. Wasn't a big fan of Raising Arizona. It's always mentioned as a sort of cult classic at this stage and it's a Coen Brothers film but maybe I missed the point of it.

Anybody know of any Nicholas Cage gems that may have flown under the radar? What are your favourite Nick Cage films? I'm going to try steer conversation away from the obvious blockbusters because I know he makes a few films per year and there has to be some gems there that may have been overlooked by the masses.

I present to you The Trust. I think it's really underrated. I think the part was written with Cage in mind to play.

Edited by Mister Pink

Algonquin Assassin

Not sure I'd call it a "gem", but since it hasn't been mentioned I liked Drive Angry.:)

As for my favourites it's gotta be ConAir, Kick Ass, National Treasure/Book of Secrets, Gone In 60 Seconds and Ghostrider.

Mister Pink

That looks hilarious. I mean the cheesy voice over for the trailer and everything. I'd say that's a bit of fun and doesn't take itself seriously.

Algonquin Assassin

That looks hilarious. I mean the cheesy voice over for the trailer and everything. I'd say that's a bit of fun and doesn't take itself seriously.

Oh it's definitely cheesy, but that's what I admire about Cage. His versatility between roles is pretty amazing.;)

Mister Pink

Oh it's definitely cheesy, but that's what I admire about Cage. His versatility between roles is pretty amazing. ;)

Spot on. He does have this strange versatility. His more cheesy performances I think are tongue-in-cheek. I think he might be taking the piss himself, rather than actually thinking he's doing a super job. I'll give that Drive Angry a watch. :^:

Good Hombre

8mm is his best film imo, it's an underrated gem.

Edited by Good Hombre

Neon_Dreaming

Bad Lieutenant is one of my favourite performances by him, he plays the manic drug addled cop to perfection. There's one scene where he threatens his prostitute girlfriends client, he went from tired and worn out to turning on the menace in a second, he was scary. I'd like to point out too that his character suffers a serious back injury at the beginning of the movie, it's only mentioned once after this but throughout the movie his movements, posture, and stiffness are very convincing, even down to the occasional wince when he bends down or turns suddenly, it's dedication to the character which I admire without drawing too much attention.

His performanes in Bad Lieutenant and Wild at Heart are favourites of mine, with his snakeskin jacket and elvis impression he played a memorable role. I know you specified no blockbusters but i'd like to mention his role in Kick-Ass playing a real life superhero, it was a supporting role but he stole every scene with his Adam West Batman impression while in costume and how he glued on moustache extensions as part of his superhero persona, both of these were his ideas.

Edited by Neon_Dreaming

Spaghetti Cat
150-million-bought-nicolas-cage-a-lot-of

Femme Fatale

Mister Pink

Bad Lieutenant is one of my favourite performances by him, he plays the manic drug addled cop to perfection. There's one scene where he threatens his prostitute girlfriends client, he went from tired and worn out to turning on the menace in a second, he was scary. I'd like to point out too that his character suffers a serious back injury at the beginning of the movie, it's only mentioned once after this but throughout the movie his movements, posture, and stiffness are very convincing, even down to the occasional wince when he bends down or turns suddenly, it's dedication to the character which I admire without drawing too much attention.

His performanes in Bad Lieutenant and Wild at Heart are favourites of mine, with his snakeskin jacket and elvis impression he played a memorable role. I know you specified no blockbusters but i'd like to mention his role in Kick-Ass playing a real life superhero, it was a supporting role but he stole every scene with his Adam West Batman impression while in costume and how he glued on moustache extensions as part of his superhero persona, both of these were his ideas.

Great observations man. I'm going to have to re-watch Bad Lieutenant. I don't recall picking up on the back thing but I love that attention to detail.

I never seen Wild At Heart, actually never heard of it. Surprising as it's a David Lynch film too. Not that I'm a huge fan of Lynch but that's another topic. Just watched the trailer. Looks awesome!

universetwisters

I liked him in Lord of War. Everything else he was in was sh*t tbh

Neon_Dreaming

Great observations man. I'm going to have to re-watch Bad Lieutenant. I don't recall picking up on the back thing but I love that attention to detail.

I never seen Wild At Heart, actually never heard of it. Surprising as it's a David Lynch film too. Not that I'm a huge fan of Lynch but that's another topic. Just watched the trailer. Looks awesome!

Yeah Bad Lieutenant holds up well to multiple watches, it twists and subverts your expectations as to what it is, very good movie. It's been a while since i've seen Wild at Heart but it's a quality movie too. Hope you enjoy it.

feckyerlife

i still cant believe he is from the Coppola family.

Pedinhuh

Ah yeas! My favorite "guilty pleasure" actor!

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

I challenge anyone to watch that compilation with a straight face!

TheFoxRiverFugitive

I love this scene.

Mister Pink

Ah yeas! My favorite "guilty pleasure" actor!

Yes, that's one way to describe him. And I would totally agree with you. I think he has this range that he can be totally goofy, almost like on a Jim Carey spectrum but you can put him in a drama or a comedy drama or action film. His skillset or range kind of exceeds that of Jim Carey though.

@FYL: I know, it's mental. Coppola family have many diverse and talented family members. And just reading about just now, I just realized Jason Schwartzman is another!

Edited by Mister Pink

Spaghetti Cat
cult-classic-movies-get-the-nes-treatmen

Mukkus

The thing about Cage is that I was usually wondering if I'd enjoyed flicks such as Face Off or The Rock either due to, or despite his presence.

He was involved in many enjoyable projects, tho...

Edited by Mukkus

darthYENIK

I love this scene.

That whole movie is the pure unfiltered Nick Cage insanity. From minute one to the credits, he goes over the top and out of f*cking orbit.

Edited by darthYENIK

The Deadite

@Darth Yenik, pls pin this thread.

Nic never fails to amuse me.

Kiffster

Absolutely love Bringing out the Dead. Underrated masterpiece if you ask me. Possibly my favourite Cage movie

Mister Pink

Absolutely love Bringing out the Dead. Underrated masterpiece if you ask me. Possibly my favourite Cage movie

Just looked that up. That's right up my alley. I love Patricia Arquette too.

Kiffster

Yeah it's probably Scorsese's most forgotten, overlooked and underrated movie, and yet for me it's one of his best. Not a lot of people seem to know about it.

It's not for everyone though, but still a must see if you haven't already

Mister Pink

It's a Scorsese film? Nice.I overlooked that detail. I actually got my hands on the film. Will probably watch it tonight or tomorrow when I'm not so busy. Thanks for that recommendation.

Kiffster

Cool well then let me know if you love it as much as I do :]

AmyJones

cf6d84da13bd29f92fc518eed7170d89.gif

I remember that movie where he plays a drunk and dates a prostitute. Made me want to never drink again. I think the movie was called leaving los angeles, It had that same broad from adventures in babysitting. :lol:

Mister Pink

cf6d84da13bd29f92fc518eed7170d89.gif

I remember that movie where he plays a drunk and dates a prostitute. Made me want to never drink again. I think the movie was called leaving los angeles, It had that same broad from adventures in babysitting. :lol:

Yeah that was Leaving Las Vegas. That's a great film.

Femme Fatale

A Nic Cage fan's dream bedroom.

X8KeICy.jpg

Hmmm nice bike