3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Shermhead

Today's Music Or Yesterday's Music?

FearThoseWhoFearHim

Old and kind of 30-50% from new (post 2000), as a follower of heavy metal music.

GTA-Biker

Edit: I already answered on a previous page

Edited by GTA-Biker

GTA_CAT

I like both of them, but nowadays music has to be outside commercial pop, reaggeton and some kinds of techno and all the overrated hits that are just the fever of a limited amount of time and then they are forgotten.

Testarossa

i strongly believe that today's music is better than it was before, the amount of subgenres with a decent following that have popped up in the last 10 years are staggering, and music as well as the creation of it today is more accessible than ever.

Nico

Call me a retrograde but I do believe good music can only be made by people with both actual artistic talent and a message to tell. I can enjoy modern music of certain genres to some exent but I will never love it as much as I love true legends like Pink Floyd (with Waters), The Who or Led Zeppelin. The transition between the 60's and the 70's is the overall epitome of music to me.

JayKed20

@Tigereyesxx

There's more to the genre than the current mumble "rap" trend that'll probably die out in a few years.

[...]

I'm gonna say both. There are a plenty of great artists/bands in both the past and the present.

Tigereyesxx
On 7/26/2018 at 11:16 PM, mr quick said:

how so my good man? 

Where are the ballads?, where are the love songs?, where is the real dance music of the 70’s? What do we get now, people who cannot sing at all, releasing sexist sh*te ,because they think they are gangstas... so sad...

Conici
5 hours ago, Tigereyesxx said:

Where are the ballads?

Imagine Dragons, Adele, Bruno Mars to name a few are artists that made their name with ballads 

where are the love songs?

Is this a joke?

where is the real dance music of the 70’s

in the 70's? Dance/Disco music peaked then and stayed there. Dance music and electronic music has evolved, if you want something like the 70's then try Daft Punks 2013 album 'Random Access Memories' 

What do we get now, people who cannot sing at all, releasing sexist sh*te ,because they think they are gangstas... so sad...

gangsta rap is nowhere near as popular as it was in the 1990s. If you think every rap song is 'gangsta' then I'm sorry but you're just being ignorant.

Edited by Conici

TheMcSame

Mostly old. There's some good stuff coming out these days, even in charts every now and then, but a lot of it is just pleasant to listen to, it doesn't stand up against the old stuff imo. I feel like this is especially true in a genre that I'm a fan of, which should be quite obvious. Rock. I mean, rock in general, hard rock, metal, etc... It just isn't the same. Where's the flying solos? The train of guitars chugging away? Where's the guitar gods? And my god... WHERE'S THE DAMN METAL BALLADS? I'm not saying they don't exist, but... There's a big lack of them. That's not to say we don't have bands that are at least somewhat comparable to the older, bigger names, and it's not to say that there aren't bands who are putting that sort of stuff out.

Babymetal for example? Sure, they might not be chugging away like Randy Rhoads, the drummer might not be Randy Castillo, but they can play, and they can play tight. I'm not going to mess around with the whole lore thing they've got going on, but basically, as part of the law, the band are known as "Kamis", meaning Gods. I have to say, I can't particularly argue with that. If Babymetal gains the sort of traction big names like Randy Rhoads and EVH gained, they may well be the next generation of musical gods, especially Boh, the bass player. Then you get into the songs, ballads! Flying guitar solos and duels! It's everything I want in modern metal. 

Greta Van Fleet is another exception, they've got Led Zeppelin written all over them, there's soul in the performance. 

Of course, some older names are still putting out great stuff, guys like Metallica, Slayer and Alice Cooper spring to mind being some of the more recent examples.

I mean, I could easily list off a fair few modern bands and artists I like, but I couldn't list off anywhere near the same amount of bands/artists that I like as much as the old names.

Imho, the only thing modern music has above old, is the means of sharing and discovering. Now I'm not exactly old... Okay, far from it. But a few decades ago, you'd share/discover bands through word of mouth, reading magazines, or even just checking out your local scene. These days? I can get lost on platforms like Spotify and Youtube, I can buy cheap second hand CDs in bulk on eBay from virtually anywhere in the world, and have them delivered to my door. I can browse internet forums for recommendations, even memes can help to discover music (Darude - Sandstorm, Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up, Vitas - 7th Element, Kirin J Callinan - Big Enough, etc...) etc... Bands from foreign countries can reach a wider audience much easily than they could a few decades ago. 

On 7/29/2018 at 8:31 PM, Testarossa said:

i strongly believe that today's music is better than it was before, the amount of subgenres with a decent following that have popped up in the last 10 years are staggering, and music as well as the creation of it today is more accessible than ever.

Accessibility isn't always a good thing. We might have more decent artists, or at least potentially decent ones, but we also have a much larger sea of sh*t to wade through before we can find them.

Jerking For Soup

Being "old" doesn't exactly make it better than new music at all. You have to keep in mind that the good music from the past is only remembered and loved as much as it is because it is good or memorable music.

That will happen to new music in the next decade or two when everyone is reminiscing about how "great" the 00s and 10s were, like many people already do with the 80s and 90s.

Edited by Jerking For Soup

mr quick
On 8/4/2018 at 10:20 PM, Tigereyesxx said:

Where are the ballads?, where are the love songs?, where is the real dance music of the 70’s? What do we get now, people who cannot sing at all, releasing sexist sh*te ,because they think they are gangstas... so sad...

What the f*ck? This doesn't even resemble an argument. Get your sh*t together, fam

JayKed20
On August 4, 2018 at 9:20 PM, Tigereyesxx said:

Have you even heard any rap song, or did you read the lyrics to Gucci Gang online and then come to the conclusion that that's literally all the genre has to offer?

Jerking For Soup

Today's music is better. Fight me.

Edited by Jerking For Soup

Panashe M. Sinclaire

Today's music, hands down. I don't know how many of you have been living under a rock, but Young Boy NBA is the GOAT of this generation. I've tried to listen to 2 PAC and NWA and Biggie etc. The flows and rapping is straight up nostalgic and makes me go "no one raps like this anymore" but honestly?...

That sh*t outdate and garbage. The only stuff that's good today is Young Boy's, everybody else's is trash or boring. 

BlackScout

Both. If you stop looking at mainstream stuff and look at different genres and what is out there, you will find good stuff. No matter if it's old or new music.

It's not about Nostalgia, things can really change and suck one day. Regardless of that, good music and bad music have always co-existed in different timelines. You just gotta look for what suits you.

The era of information makes that so much easier. Just dig DiscoGS, dig YouTube, dig Spotify, dig Genres (and how they've evolved) and you'll find what suits you :)

Edited by BlackScout

Standard Deluxe 59

For me, easily yesterday's music. Of the 917 songs on my phone only about 96 of them were made between 1990 and today. The rest came out between 1954 and 1989. I just can't get into today's music, the newest song I have I think is "Your Decision" by Alice in chains.