Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (85,031 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Shermhead

Today's Music Or Yesterday's Music?

Shermhead

The title says it all. Today's music or yesterday's music? Which do you prefer and why? Debate and discuss, people.

B Dawg

Today's music. There's a lot of good stuff coming out all the time, it's hard to keep up with it.

update_lsc

Why not both?

M*A*R*I*N*A

I don't mind a little of both but I definitely prefer older music.

Edited by N R G

Eoghan

Today's music will sound better tomorrow

∴

Both, though the benefit of having today's music is that yesterday's music still exists, and is easier to access than ever. If I limited myself to yesterday's music, I wouldn't have today's music and there's some fantastic stuff if you spend about five minutes looking for it.

MuntyJack

todays music and only few yesterday

ClaudeIzABadAzz

Yesterday's music.

Night Machine

Yesterdays by a landslide for me. :cool:

Algonquin Assassin

Yesterday's. Not all modern music is bad, but I prefer classical tunes like this.

[/Youtube]

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

Yesterday and today's music. I used to only listen to older music, but I learned I was missing a lot of good music and artists with that mentality. There's more out there than what's on the Top 40 charts.

Mister Pink

I'm a huge fan of the past. Purely to see the lineage of where we are today. There's so much great new music but I love tracing it back seeing where genres split, subgenres created and new styles created. So for me, yesterdays music is just as important as today's.

feckyerlife

The title says it all. Today's music or yesterday's music? Which do you prefer and why? Debate and discuss, people.

whats yesterdays music? the local oldies station has been playing 90s lately....

septimoose

Yesterdays by a landslide for me. :cool:

Cosmic Gypsy

Yesterdays music. Todays music has gems that i wouldn't wanna live without but yesterday has way more of those gems. By yesterday I'm guessing we're talking anywhere from like the 60's - 2010, possibly even further back than the 60's. The modern catalog of music could never compare to all the genres, classics and obscure hidden gems that large period of time holds.

Evil empire

I don't have any preference, quality isn't a matter of release year.

The7thOne

No preference, although credit should be given to today's music for bringing with it a lot of new genres/subgenres as well as new recording and production methods that's made home production possible, and cheaper. Perhaps that's led to more "bad" music, but it's made things more accessible - and there's so much being produced it's hard to keep track.

Today's music is also responsible for "homage bands" and genre revivals which has brought some fresh ideas to older styles.

Conici

That's a pretty weird and ambiguous question OP, where are we drawing the line on yesterday and today? I guess I'd say today's music but I don't limit myself by an albums release date.

Blaze

a mixture of both.

GTA-Biker

I mostly listen to the music from 50s to early 90s (especially late 60s to 80s),and while there are some newer songs that I like,I still vote for older stuff.

Edited by GTA-Biker

Tokasmoka

Oh god yesterday music, all day er'day. New rock music today doesn't even have prominent guitars. Like the guitarist for Muse playing a

#$%@ing ipad on his guitar. I can't stand this dub step computer farting in music today, so terrible.

mr quick

It's silly to dismiss contemporary music as a whole - after all, it's a summation and continuation of past music. Sure, the market is diluted by literal formula pop, but that's an issue of capitalism, not art.

Personally I gravitate towards older music, but that's simply because interesting music had a greater market share. There's music of equal and greater quality today, both musically and especially in terms of production. I love Ole Børud's "Driving", Matt Corby's "Knife Edge", Jakob Ogawa's "Let It Pass", Tyler the Creator's "911 / Mr. Lonely", usw. usw, you get my point. Good music is still very much happening - go see a live show or explore unknown artists on free music platforms. If you stay off of the charts, you'll find a LOT of whacky and individual music.

Conici

Oh god yesterday music, all day er'day. New rock music today doesn't even have prominent guitars. Like the guitarist for Muse playing a

#$%@ing ipad on his guitar. I can't stand this dub step computer farting in music today, so terrible.

This is the most ignorant baby boomer-tier thing I have ever read

It's like you intentionally avoid actually looking at modern music and base your entire opinion on top 40 music

∴

Confirmation bias in action - the less time spent looking for current music to enjoy, the more you believe old music is superior. Obviously it's all subjective and you're certainly allowed to prefer older music, but for the reasons given you wouldn't have to look too far. To say you dislike today's sound because Matt Bellamy used a kaoss pad on his guitar back in 2011 is ridiculous.

Mr. Scratch

Music stopped being good in the 90's.

Tokasmoka

I am not spending every waking hour listening to new music in the hopes I might find something I like. So I based my opinion on what I hear on the rock radio and what my friends are listening to, and from that I deduced an opinion that todays music is garbage. It's my opinion, we're all entitled to have one.

B Dawg

I am not spending every waking hour listening to new music in the hopes I might find something I like. So I based my opinion on what I hear on the rock radio and what my friends are listening to, and from that I deduced an opinion that todays music is garbage. It's my opinion, we're all entitled to have one.

Let me help you find good music then:

Click here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here too. (Yes, they're all separate links to many different music promoters of Rock & Metal, I could also send you links/names of tons of different individual bands as well that are impossible not to like)

Edited by B Dawg