Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,196 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

NightMARE

Is Max Payne 1 good?

NightMARE

I just found this R* Game out there so why shouldn't I try it?

Just need your opinions - is it good and worthwile to play? Or I should get any other game?

Thanks in advance ;)

Femme Fatale

Yes. /thread

Unless you're a 13 year old who loves over the top and silly games, and hates dark and gritty serious games. Then you'll most likely find it boring.

Matrelith

It's probably the best one of the series, so yeah, it's pretty good.

NightMARE

It's probably the best one of the series, so yeah, it's pretty good.

OK Thanks! Getting it soon then!

Unless you're a 13 year old who loves over the top and silly games, and hates dark and gritty serious games. Then you'll most likely find it boring.

XD I am surely not that.

Rucke

It is! Some things feel a bit dated, but even though it's a 16 year old game it's well worth playing. Timeless classic!

BUT THE BENZ

REMEDY ENTERTAINMENT - they created Max Payne 1! and they did so, wonderfully, without any help or whatever from R*. R* just bought the IP or something right after Max Payne 1, so they owned the rights to the franchise from there on in. Because they, we wanted another Max Payne. The 2nd game was kind of 50/50 in terms of development and input I guess, both Remedy and R* involved, then Max Payne 3 was just R*.

it is one of the best franchises in gaming, hands down!

Spider-Vice

Rockstar did help produce the first two Max Paynes. Not for nothing they're credited AND there's an easter egg in Max Payne 1 with an audio recording of Sam (I think) Houser and the Remedy team saying thanks.

(and 3D Realms but man thank God they didn't take full creative control of the game, the E3 1997 trailer looked like Duke Nukem Payne)

Edited by Spider-Vice

Efreet

It's good. Want it to be gooder? Play it during chilly winter days, preferably in calm nights and room. I found this strategy to reinforce the bleak and chilly atmosphere of the game.

Piggsy pls

Yes. /thread

Max Payne IS over the top and silly though... just also has a faux serious tone to it.

That's what makes it great.

BUT THE BENZ

Rockstar did help produce the first two Max Paynes. Not for nothing they're credited AND there's an easter egg in Max Payne 1 with an audio recording of Sam (I think) Houser and the Remedy team saying thanks.

for real? Rockstar were on board since MP1? financing it? doing what exactly?! you seem to know it, spill the beans spice!

thalilmythos

Yes it is, i just finished the first nightmare level for the first time, and man, everyone should play this, incredible.

Journey_95

Its f*cking amazing and has a great story with one of gaming's most compelling main characters. Play through the whole trilogy, in my opinion the second one is the best.

NightMARE

SO, Buyed it yesterday. Its taking on me - I am addicted. The atmosphere, the graphics, hell, everything is just so fantastic. Nice story as far as i can make out of it - Max payne's wife got killed and its another revenge story - If I am WRONG DON'T TELL ME, LET THE PAGES UNFOLD!

Thanks all for all your suggestion. BTW, its not from R*, right?

Spider-Vice

You're right, but you gotta let it unfold anyway. :p Also, yes, the first two games were written and developed by Remedy. Rockstar (along with 3D Realms and Gathering of Developers) helped producing it and publishing it but that's about it.

Journey_95

I think the third game really missed Sam Lake, Rockstar's writing just didn't fit Max as well

Edited by Journey_95

BurnettVice

Yes!!! The story and characters are so good. Max's monologues and metaphors are god tier. I like the graphic novel-esque cutscenes. I love how crazy Jack Lupino is, he's my fav baddie in the game. Am I the only who thinks Mona Sax looked better in 1 than 2? Also I love how immersive the game is, its like you can feel isolation from the outside world. Its like your right there beside Max. You can hear the bustling city, sirens, wind, people moving, and making noises.

Alexander

SO, Buyed it yesterday. Its taking on me - I am addicted. The atmosphere, the graphics, hell, everything is just so fantastic. Nice story as far as i can make out of it - Max payne's wife got killed and its another revenge story - If I am WRONG DON'T TELL ME, LET THE PAGES UNFOLD!

Thanks all for all your suggestion. BTW, its not from R*, right?

Yeah 1 and 2 are from Remedy.

Abour the story, well just play them. saying "just a revenge story" it's an oversimplification imo :p

Algonquin Assassin

I used to have a copy of MP1 on PS2, but I lent it to a mate and never got it back. Bastard.

It's probably been about 15 years since I last played it though. Every time I see screenshots I laugh because Max always looks constipated.:lol:

It was a pretty good game however. I still remember feeling creeped out by the nightmare sequence,

Wingate167

It's a good start to the Max Payne series, the controls are a little wonky and Max always looks constipated.

Evil empire

It's a quality game especially with some mods.

What do you love the most in games?

KilnerLUFC

It was a pretty good game however. I still remember feeling creeped out by the nightmare sequence,

By far one of the creepiest sequences in any video game ever - hated playing that section when I was younger.

Still got MP1 for my PS2, just not got round to completing it due to lack of PS2 time.

Jimmy

MP1 brings back old memories. If you've played Max Payne 2 or 3, you'll know how good the Max Payne games are. MP1 was ahead of it's time in terms of a proper story. The nightmare sequences were creepy and confusing mazes. It's a good old "revenge plot classic".

Jack Lupino

Good?This game is awesome.It's like a movie.

I love the music,the comic book style cutscene and the bullet time features.This game was way ahead of its time!

MP1 and MP2 Both games are amazing.

My username is inspired from a villain in the game.

Edited by Jack Lupino

Tao Cheng

No because the graphics sucks. Games today heavily rely on graphics.

Rucke
Posted (edited)

(and 3D Realms but man thank God they didn't take full creative control of the game, the E3 1997 trailer looked like Duke Nukem Payne)

The Rockstar voice recording is not Sam Houser. If you listen carefully you can hear that he says "This is Jamie and Renaud".

6:50.

I think it's these two:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/by_year/developerId,50129/

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/by_year/developerId,50649/

Edited by Rucke

Spider-Vice

Oops, got that wrong then. I guess close enough, they were R* top dogs. :p

tnz1992
Posted (edited)

Max Payne 1 is one of my favorite third person shooters of all time, the gameplay, dialog, atmosphere is amazing. I enjoy playing this game on cold winter nights especially.

Edited by tnz1992

gilby

Absolutely amazing. It remains the only game I finished and proceeded to immediately (without turning it off) start a new play.

Tao Cheng

No. Take a look at this! The outdated graphics, unrealistic steaks, and physics is completely unacceptable!

Jack Lupino

No. Take a look at this! The outdated graphics, unrealistic steaks, and physics is completely unacceptable!

Go play minecraft then