The Eddo

[REL|MP] Max Payne: Restorations Pack

The Eddo
----------------------------
Max Payne: Restorations Pack
by the Eddo
----------------------------

Description:

This mod restores tons of content that went unused in Max Payne, recreates content that was cut and adds many things that the game had been lacking for a long time.

Features:

* Added the Jump to Chapter option ala Max Payne 2, you must complete the game once on Fugitive to unlock it.
* Enemies now use their fire death sounds (while the boss enemies use their normal death sounds) as their falling to death sounds.
* Restored a third "Found Painkillers" dialogue which plays when picking up a painkiller for the first time (the dialogue was in the game but unused).
* Restored Max's death sounds (the sounds were in the game but unused).

* Projectile, clip, shell and weapon collision sounds are now a bit more varied (the sounds were in the game but unused).
* Now all characters in the game have and use their own voice sets properly in all cases, previously some characters used the generic "mobster" sounds in some cases.
* Fixed game bug where Frankie Niagara, Boris Dime and Angelo Punchinello had two death sounds playing.
* Project: Valhalla test subjects now behave like the other junkies in the game and use their voice set as well.

* Restored Vinnie Gognitti's death sound (the sound was in the game but unused).
* Fixed game bug where a particle effect did not play on some weapons when they were dropped.
* Lead Pipe is now available in Part II instead of being absent, it can be picked up from Frankie's corpse after you kill him.
* Fixed game bug where some levels did not have any skybox model, now all levels correctly have a skybox model (even those where skybox models don't appear).

* Fixed game bug where the "coder" console command didn't give you infinite painkillers.
* Fixed game bug where picking up a Sawed-Off Shotgun gave you four bullets, you now correctly get two bullets.
* Restored Max's "get hit" sounds but added them to the evil Max in the second nightmare level (the sounds were in the game but unused).
* Restored a texture-set for the Inner Circle members (the texture was in the game but unused), now there are three instead of two.

* Restored Alex's death sound (the sound was in the game but unused).
* A special music track now plays during the boss fight with Jack Lupino (the music track was in the game but unused).
* Restored all Killer Suit alert dialogues, the game now selects from a total of thirty-two alert dialogues (the sounds were in the game but unused).
* Restored a Mercenary "get hit" sound (the sound was in the game but unused).

* Police officers now use the Mercenaries' voice set.
* Fixed game bug where Bullet Time bonuses were given for killing innocent characters.
* Corrected the "get hit" sounds of a mobster in the toilet in "The Baseball Bat".
* Restored a "body land after falling" sound meant to play after a character fell to death (the sound was in the game but unused).

* Added death sounds to Max in the alternate ending cutscene of "Pain and Suffering", the one which plays if you fail to take the radio mast down.
* The mobster at the vending machine in "Playing it Bogart" now kicks the machine instead of messing with it's buttons (animation was in the game but unused).
* The second gun model appearing in Max's left hand when holding Dual Berettas or Dual Ingrams has been repositioned to match the one in right hand more closely.
* Recreated E3 2000\graphic novel Max skin (I think it's perfect now), credits for the jacket texture go to The_Silver at ModDB.

* Also fixed a small bug on the jacket texture provided by The_Silver.
* Smart compatibility with non-English versions of the game; the new text additions no longer cause the other texts to auto-change to English.
* Restored unused Beretta shooting animation as seen in E3 2000, this animation is now used by all Max skins, their AI-controlled versions and Killer Suits.
* Restored unused Beretta shooting sound.

* Fixed game difficulty-related bug where you would get akward amounts of ammo when playing on the "Fugitive" difficulty level.
* Restored unused Desert Eagle shooting animation as seen in E3 2000, this animation is now used by all Max skins, their AI-controlled versions and Killer Suits.
* Added the end credits music track from a special credits video available only on the PS2 version of the game.
* Recreated Roscoe Bank security guard skin and restored them to "Live From the Crime Scene", where they were meant to appear.

* The neutral mobster in "Fear that Gives Men Wings" (the one who gets you into the laundromat) now has skin variations.
* Restored the collision sounds of broken wood pieces, these sounds play when wooden objects (only the ones that break into several pieces) are broken.
* Bullets are now clearly visible during gunfights and when the game is paused, so now you can avoid damage by dodging them.
* Now you can kill NYPD cops, normally the bullets would just pass through them.

* Restored three different color variations of the trenchcoats worn by the Ragna Rock trenchcoat mobsters.
* Restored one coat texture of a fat mobster, a purple jacket texture of a street mobster (like in E3 2000), and a dusty jacket texture of a thin and bald mobster.
* Restored a light-blue undershirt texture of a mobster (this mobster is the one you encounter with a shotgun near the vending machine in "Roscoe Street Station").
* Restored three different texture variations of the coats worn by the Project: Valhalla scientists.

* Kinda fixed all of the weapons' shoot and reload sounds by increasing their volumes, they felt too silent.
* Added a new "GetLeadPipe" console command, you probably know what it does.
* Fixed the Dual Ingrams' wrongly-placed muzzleflash of the Ingram in Max's left hand.
* Characters now grin correctly when firing the Sniper Rifle, the Ingram and the Dual Ingrams.

* Transparent and semi-transparent textures with adult content now completely disappear when using Parental Lock, non-transparent textures still turn grey though.
* Removed all of the shine, chrome and fake specular effects on all weapons and their pickups, now they all appear in their true colors.
* Added a new graphic novel page that shows the game's title, this new page also the default one used by the game now.
* Optimized Max's voice set on all playable and AI-controlled Max skins.

* The AI-controlled Max now no longer has a Beretta in his hand when he appears tied to the chair in the first nightmare level.
* The dead mobster tied to the chair in "The Blood Veins of New York" also no longer has a Beretta in his hand.
* The small blood spots on the ground in "Police Brutality" now no longer appear when using Parental Lock.
* Restored a second shootdodge sound effect.

* The game now uses all four variations of the "melee weapon hits hollow metal" sound instead of one.
* Red bullet holes and red melee hit marks now appear on the "flesh" material (used by objects like the meat in "The Baseball Bat") if not using Parental Lock.
* The "flesh" material now also behaves just like the "character" material, with the same particle effects and sounds.
* All graphic novel pages are now really disabled when using Parental Lock, the only viewable page is now the new one that was mentioned earlier.
(This was done to bring Parental Lock in line with the text that says "all graphic novel screens are removed" when starting the game with Parental Lock on.)

* The dead mobster tied to the chair in "The Blood Veins of New York" now uses the "death" face texture correctly, like the other "custom death" animations.
* Max also uses the "death" face texture when he appears tied to the chair in the first nightmare level.
* The "Angel of Death" level and both nightmare levels now use the "asgard" skybox, which just shows a plain cloudy sky.
* The "Put Out My Flames With Gasoline" level now uses the unused "skyscrapers_streetlevel" skybox.
(The restaurant in that level is actually located in Manhattan instead of the Bronx, I noticed this in the fly-by intro level and the "Nothing to Lose" level.)

To-Do:

* Restore the green snowstorm particle effect by replacing the normal red snowfall in the second nightmare level.
* Restore the cut MP5, proper models and sounds still exist in the game.
* Restore the E3 1998 crosshair.
* Restore the implemented-but-disabled "Advanced Settings" menu.

* Restore the implemented-but-disabled Level of Detail (visibility distance of characters, weapons, pickups and projectiles) slider in the "Video Settings" menu.
* Restore the implemented-but-disabled Frame Rate Smoothness slider in the "Video Settings" menu.
* Restore Nicole Horne's unused dialogue: "NOOOOOOOOO!".
* Restore Alex's unused death animation.

* Restore the unused painkiller eating animation.
* Restore the implemented-but-disabled "drop weapon when out of ammo" feature, animations for this feature exist and work properly so this one is going to be easy.
* Make Vinnie Gognitti drop the Pump-Action Shotgun after shooting at Max in "Fear that Gives Men Wings".
* Make Lisa Punchinello lie dead like she does in the graphic novel.

* Randomize texture-sets of all characters so all enemy textures are completely random each time.
* Change Max's Ingram shooting animation to the two-handed one used by the Killer Suits.
* Change Max's weapon from Sniper Rifle to Ingram in the fly-by intro and in the ending cutscene of "Pain and Suffering" to match graphic novel.
* Find a way to make bullet holes appear on characters like in the E3 1998 trailer.

* Change Jack Lupino's weapon from Sawed-Off Shotgun to Ingram in "An Empire of Evil" to match graphic novel.
* Re-add the test level "Manor_Outside" and edit it into a level where you must go around the back of the Punchinello Manor to start the "Angel of Death" level.
* Add variations to Max's sounds by merging the ones from Max Payne 2 and Max Payne 3.
* Replace all levels' loadscreens with the higher quality ones from the graphic novel.

* Replace the phone ringing sound in "Angel of Death" with the unused antique one (which can also be heard in the graphic novel cutscene after answering the phone).
* Make the "Take Me to Cold Steel" level's loadscreen appear in the graphic novel, it's missing.

Known Issues:

The text additions I made appear in English ONLY, so it's best to use this mod on an English version of the game for consistency.
The second nightmare level's red maze can be hard to pass if you have Parental Lock on as the small platform at the end of each line in the maze is invisible.

Installation:

1. Put the "data" folder right next to "MaxPayne.exe".
2. Start the game by clicking on "MaxPayne.exe" or by using the shortcut on your desktop (if it exists), and wait for the launcher to appear.
3. IMPORTANT! Select "<none selected>" in the Choose Customized Game drop-down box (if it's greyed-out, which happens when the game finds no .MPM files, skip this step).
4. Click on "Play".

Credits:

The whole mod - The Eddo
Max's orange jacket texture - The_Silver

Download from here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=83062189101179388251

Edited by The Eddo

Inadequate

No screenshots?

gts.

What's the leftovers here? Are you using unused content?

ermaccer

Porting stuff from Max Payne 2 to Max Payne is very easy since both games use the same game engine and the same file formats.
Every planned feature above is 100% possible to add.

yeah

Helegad

* Removed cigarette from a trenchcoat enemy to help make the game safer for younger and\or sensitive players.

Are you f*cking kidding me?

cp1dell

Some of this stuff sounds good, but there's a handful of unnecessary changes and gameplay softeners that sour the rest of the mod.

Ash_735

* Removed cigarette from a trenchcoat enemy to help make the game safer for younger and\or sensitive players.

giphy.gif

I mean there's good fixes here that you should show off in a video, but this one? It's a game where you're killing people en mass John Woo style.

The Eddo

Are you f*cking kidding me?

See my answers below:

(insert image here)

I mean there's good fixes here that you should show off in a video, but this one? It's a game where you're killing people en mass John Woo style.

There's a Parental Lock option in this game which, when enabled, removes all of the adult content not suitable for younger and\or sensitive players (but the game is still playable).

It does a good job removing the adult content but I think it doesn't remove that cigarette from that trenchcoat mobster, so I decided to do this.

And I cannot make a video for this, sorry.

You must play the mod to find out.

What's the leftovers here? Are you using unused content?

Max's death sounds and fire death sounds.

Max's "get hit" sounds.

Vinnie Gognitti's death sound.

Killer Suit alert dialogues (a total of 32).

Mercenary "get hit" sound.

Alex's death sound.

"The Flesh of Fallen Angels" music track.

Unused Inner Circle member texture.

"The pills would make the pain go away for a while" inner monologue.

Health bonuses.

A "THUD!" sound after falling to death.

And TONS, and I mean TONS of other UNUSED and BETA content.

Damn, Remedy cut out so many things I can't describe, there are LOADS of unused enemy skin textures in the game files, but I don't know how to restore them so they are untouched.

True Fact: The game files contain Mona Sax's face texture, meaning she was originally meant to appear in-game, not only in graphic novel .

We should make a BETA topic for this game, I think.

By the way, here's a complete list of weapons that are now obtainable early in the game, I got this idea when I saw Max use a Sniper Rifle in the E3 1998 trailer.

Weapon: Found in:

Sawed-Off Shotgun Roscoe Street Station (on a dead transit cop slumped over his desk)

Ingram Same as above, comes with a box of Ingram Ammo

Sniper Rifle Playing it Bogart (on a fat mobster lying dead in a bed), comes with two boxes of Sniper Rifle Ammo

Ingram Same as above, but without an ammo box

Five Molotov Cocktails Angel of Death (on a fat mobster lying dead in the basement)

Colt Commando Same as above

Two Grenades Angel of Death (on a mobster in a dark blue suit lying dead in the basement)

Jackhammer Same as above

Edited by The Eddo

ermaccer

Are you sure it's unused? I believe i heard it in Roscoe Station.

Edited by ermaccer

The Eddo

Are you sure it's unused? I believe i heard it in Roscoe Station.

No, you usually either hear "the pills would ease the pain" or "the pills would hold the pain back for a while" without this mod, this new dialogue was unused so I restored it. :)

Edited by The Eddo

B_Smiles

Ey, your mod broke my game and it dispatched two detectives to my house, how could you?!

jk, this is actually pretty good! Ive only played for a couple hours yesterday and heard a lot of dialogues already. Have you thought about making some minor map edits too? For example removing the large cupboard blocking the dining room in max's house?

Also, which levels were missing their skyboxes?

Edit

Why are the weapons so shiny?

Edited by B_Smiles

The Eddo

Have you thought about making some minor map edits too? For example removing the large cupboard blocking the dining room in max's house?

I'm afraid I can't do that, the game levels are in .LDB format, a format that no program can edit, so levels cannot be edited.

Also, which levels were missing their skyboxes?

An Empire of Evil

Nightmare (first level of Part II)

Angel of Death

The Drug Trip (first level of Part III)

Hidden Truths

Why are the weapons so shiny?

You mean the ones that appear lying on the ground? The game already has this, it's not my mod's feature.

Helegad

I feel like you're changing things just to prove you can. It's an M rated game about some poor schmuck's family being brutally slaughtered by druggos and his quest for revenge. A cigarette doesn't make an iota of difference, and if you're a "sensitive" player, maybe you should stick to E ratings.

Max says "bullsh*t" in one comic panel, that's really inappropriate and it might offend some sensitive players too, better go hunt that one down pronto.

The Eddo

I feel like you're changing things just to prove you can. It's an M rated game about some poor schmuck's family being brutally slaughtered by druggos and his quest for revenge. A cigarette doesn't make an iota of difference, and if you're a "sensitive" player, maybe you should stick to E ratings.

Max says "bullsh*t" in one comic panel, that's really inappropriate and it might offend some sensitive players too, better go hunt that one down pronto.

Parental Lock disables the following:

Blood

Graphic Novels (all of them)

Images with adult content (this includes those dirty magazines and posters lying around in Lupino's Hotel)

Dialogues with adult content (this includes Lupino's shoutings and more)

I am not changing things just to prove I can, I just wanted to remove the only thing Parental Lock couldn't; the cigarette.

I DO NOT play with Parental Lock on by the way and I know removing the cigarette doesn't make a lot of difference, it's just a minor edit, that's all. :)

Look here for more info on Parental Lock:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291337/parentalguide

EDIT:

Parental Lock can be enabled from the game launcher by adding a password to it and the only way to disable it is to retype the password.

Edited by The Eddo

B_Smiles

Not to mention the dead baby, the syringes of valkyr lying about [someone could prick themselves], rico muerte and that hooker, oh! and the mess left by those addicts in max's home. That could trigger someones ocd D:

Edit hmm parental lock does that..

Edited by B_Smiles

Helegad

Who the f*ck plays this game with Parental Lock on anyway? Cigarettes aren't offensive either, you're a big baby.

crying-babies.jpg

The Eddo

I am NOT a big baby, I'm just appreciating Parental Lock which makes the game safer for younger and/or sensitive players.

Cigarettes not offensive? Cigarettes have killed millions of people, and this poison is STILL killing people.

We cannot let children smoke and die like that.

Now stop whining about cigarettes, the air is already polluted enough.

Edited by The Eddo

Jinx.

-since the cigarette feature is not optional I changed my words. soz helegad-

Cool mod, Eddo! Atleast you did something pretty original for once! Good luck :)

Edited by Jinx.

The Eddo

it's still an addition to that optional mode. Atleast he didn't change it in the normal mode (THANKFULLY)

Regardless of Parental Lock being on or off, the cigarette will never appear now.

But hey, smoking kills, you know? Max said it in the first level by saying "it's bad for the baby".

Cool mod, Eddo! Atleast you did something pretty original for once! Good luck :)

Thank you very much, Mr. Jinx. :)

Note: The Legend of Kazuki Kasen has been renamed to The Painful Memories, just letting you know in case you can't find it.

Edited by The Eddo

Jinx.

Then I must change my words. Soz Helegad.

Sorry but this decision is really sh*t. I mean keeping it for Parental Lock would make more sense, but outside it? Nah man, that is wrong. Even though smoking isn't good, this decision is really bad. I'd make an optional file to restore it back :)

Helegad

Eddo is the sort of guy who walks past someone enjoying a cigarette away from everyone else and still goes COUGH and gives them a stupid look.

cp1dell

Besides the cigarette crap, can we talk about the changes the bullet time, Max's health, and other things that make the game generally easier for no good reason? Restoring beta content is cool, but "restoring" gameplay nerfs should be optional or something.

The Eddo

Eddo is the sort of guy who walks past someone enjoying a cigarette away from everyone else and still goes COUGH and gives them a stupid look.

:angry:

@Helegad: Happy now, Helegad? I restored the DAMN cigarette! And the cigarette will only reappear in the next version of this mod, not this one, now quit whining and get the hell out of this topic.

Besides the cigarette crap, can we talk about the changes the bullet time, Max's health, and other things that make the game generally easier for no good reason? Restoring beta content is cool, but "restoring" gameplay nerfs should be optional or something.

I made Bullet Time last for 20 seconds because I wanted it to match GTA's Adrenaline Pill effects.

And this mod's goal is to make Max Payne more like it successors, Max Payne 2 has regenerating Bullet Time and Shootdodging that doesn't drain Bullet Time so I added these two features in.

Heartbeat sound was quite annoying, so I removed it and allowed gameplay music to be heard in Bullet Time as well.

Max's health was originally meant to be 100, this is a BETA feature.

Health bonuses were disabled so I enabled them again.

Besides, isn't it useful to get a +75 health bonus after a boss fight? This feature really proves it's usefulness when you win a boss fight with no painkillers left and there are more mobsters coming for you.

None of these are "nerfs" nor they are supposed to be "nerfs", they are just nice little gameplay additions.

By the way, here's a feature I forgot to mention:

* The mobster at the vending machine in "Playing it Bogart" now kicks the machine instead of messing with it's buttons (animation was in the game but unused).

cp1dell

Yeah they were in the beta, but probably removed because they made the gameplay too easy. Just because it was in the beta version of the game, doesn't mean it should be restored.

Reyks

I really like the idea of this mod and I appreciate the work you've put into it, but I must say the gameplay improvements and generally stuff that makes the game easier should be made optional...

Maybe include an .ini switch or perhaps a separate version with only the essential bug fixes.

The Eddo

Unfortunately, MP engine doesn't support that .ini stuff.

Max's health was 60, and now it's 100, the health has been only increased by 40% and you can still get torn up by Ingram bullets in a 2-3 seconds like in the original game.

I found no difference in difficulty when I played the game, it remains as difficult as before.

However, the next version may include modifications to the game's difficulty levels.

Health bonuses can be quite useful if you don't have any painkillers left or if wish to conserve painkillers for later use.

EDIT:

@Helegad: I have reported you for including an image in your post that is disgusting, disturbing and inappropriate.

Edited by The Eddo

Jinx.

Yeah, I'd keep the health bonuses. They are pretty useful in case you have low health. And same for the other MP2 stuff too.

I'd remove the in-game music from the Bullet Time, though. It gave you that feeling that the time has slowed down.

fannys
The Eddo

Glory of windows xp.

Helegad

This mod is rubbish. It's not "the leftover fixes", it's just "Eddo's custom MP game". At least be honest with your title.

The Eddo

Get the hell out of this topic, both of you.

@Helegad: Why don't you do everyone a favor and F*CK OFF THESE FORUMS?!? You're an annoyance! I feel SICKENED whenever I see a post from you!

@fannys: Get your DISGUSTING AND INAPPROPRIATE avatar and signature outta here! God, you should be banned for such an immoral thing! And I recently upgraded to Windows 7.

Sorry, but this had to be done, you two deserve this rant!

EDIT:

@Jinx.: Mod progress update.

Time now slows down with music, so now when the time slows down, music slows down as well.

Hitman: Contracts-like death sequence implemented.

Removed spinning camera when Max dies.

Increased the variety of Max's death animations.

Getting ready to hack painkiller "ammo" limit.

Getting ready to convert MP2 weapons to MP1.

EDIT 2:

Then I must change my words. Soz Helegad.

Sorry but this decision is really sh*t. I mean keeping it for Parental Lock would make more sense, but outside it? Nah man, that is wrong. Even though smoking isn't good, this decision is really bad. I'd make an optional file to restore it back :)

The reason why I removed the cigarette was that the cigarette stays stuck in that trench-coat mobster's mouth when he dies, that's the actual reason why I did this, feels like he glued it to his mouth.

Edited by The Eddo