2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Jarlaxle

Fight Net Neutrality, Save the Internet!

Jarlaxle

I do not need the same bandwidth and consistency to load this webpage or an email that I do to watch Netflix in HD or play GTA Online.

If ISP's want to offer a better option for services that need a bigger pipeline let them offer it!

This net "neutrality" thing is just more big government intervention where it's not needed, and will have unintended consequences. Scrap it.

zanesix

I don't think you have any understanding what net neutrality actually is. I recommend you watch this video:

Edited by zanesix

Noale

I do not need the same bandwidth and consistency to load this webpage or an email that I do to watch Netflix in HD or play GTA Online.

If ISP's want to offer a better option for services that need a bigger pipeline let them offer it!

This net "neutrality" thing is just more big government intervention where it's not needed, and will have unintended consequences. Scrap it.

giphy.gif

Shaytan

So, from the depths of your innocence, you believe the abolition of net neutrality will allow ISPs to increase the bandwidth for websites that require it the most due to increased users and heavier content, is that it? So, you truly think ISPs would take this as an opportunity to take the effort of selecting the websites that need more bandwidth based on an equity principle, all of this with as a solely altruistic move to provide a better service to everyone?

From all the narrow-minded, naìve arguments I've read so far against net neutrality, yours has to break all the boundaries. Big corporations don't do anything to truly improve their services unless that means profit. Most likely, by now your ISP has a detailed profile of yourself, with all your networking habits, usage data and more because the US government also believes stopping ISPs from collecting users' data is just "big government intervention where it's not needed"; do you think that's to improve the service provided to you to make it better to your personal needs? Of course no, rather it's to auction all the data and stats to the highest bidder (which can be an advertising agency, the government or who knows else). If you investigate the power it gives to ISPs to control the bandwidth of each site, you can easily wonder all the curious ways they can make money out of that.

Edit: I tried to guess OP's state, I had "bet" for either Texas or Alabama, wasn't that far.

Edited by Zombified Andy

Matrelith

I think you got it the wrong way around.

Darth Yokel

Congratulations on being brainwashed.

Just when I though that people on the internet couldn't get any dumber. I guess it's a good thing that I can still be surprised, even if the surprise is negative.

Edited by The Yokel

Evil empire

Our bosses and corrupt politicians already control the traditional medias so this attempt to give a different bandwidth to the different websistes doesn't suprise me, it will make their opponents sites out of range for the average citizen and make our countries closer and closer to North Korea or USSR.

Edited by Evil empire

Hayduke

Holy sh*t brainwashing genuinely works. I was skeptical until this day. Net Neutrality, or rather not having net neutrality is an issue that has such massive ramifications for the internet as a whole that even some more new school tech corporations are in favour ofnet neutrality.

What Net Neutrality actually does is ensure that ISPs cannot restrict bandwidth based on the size, funding, google ranking etc of a webpage, not allowing faster speed for bigger websites.

Scrapping Net Neutrality is literally information control and you support it because 'ain't gonna affect mah netflix', are you really so vapid and uncaring about your own liberty and the information you receive that your only concern is NETFLIX!?

ShadowPerson

2FABA0FC00000578-3377831-image-a-14_1451

Noale

This is what happens when you leave your Intelligence attribute points at zero.

make total destroy

fast and bulbous squid

And here I thought net neutrality was something everyone but wealthy Republican politicians and ISPs supported...

GTA3Rockstar

LOL

Can't be much older than a 10 year old... Hell, some 10 year olds are pretty smart, so maybe I'm being too generous.

If they were to remove net neutrality, then you'll have to buy a package, along with just getting basic internet, to play games online, watch Netflix, use Google, log into Facebook, read up on Wiki, etc. Those will all add up, especially since they can charge you whatever they want and let alone, have a data cap to go along with it - unless you want to buy more..

So, that's a big No from me to remove net neutrality. If you want your internet restricted as'f, go live in North Korea

P.s - Be more educated on a subject before you make yourself look foolish next time. :^:

Edited by GTA3Rockstar

Mister Pink

OK, I think people have made their point, maybe it's time to stop insulting the OP's intelligence and rather show and present evidence. Attack the argument not the person.

EmSixTeen

OK, I think people have made their point, maybe it's time to stop insulting the OP's intelligence and rather show and present evidence. Attack the argument not the person.

I agree with the need to cut out throwing sh*te at him, but I don't really think you can present evidence to someone who has a complete misunderstanding about what they're talking about. Really seems like he's got the wrong end of the stick and ran with it.

Finn 7 five 11

I don't want to sound like a tin foil hat guy but seriously what is wrong with government. In Australia the exact same thing is happening this phenomenon where the government is taking away more and more consumer rights and giving large corporations more power for profit. It's despicable and I have been getting more and More motivated to perhaps one day move into politics. I'm still pretty young and have a lot of growing up to do and learning of course but it's so frustrating feeling powerless when everybody is getting screwed.

Niobium

if it weren't for your join date being two years ago, i would have believed thay you were either a bot or a troll getting paid by ISPs to spread this nonsense.

yes, ISPs have resorted to this tactic now.

Argonaut

Services that require a "bigger pipeline" deal with it themselves when required due to demand and the like. As others have said, you have completely misunderstood what this is about and how the Internet works; sites are all not hosted in one group as you seem to presuppose in a system that has levers to restrict bandwidth on certain ones. All are hosted independently, which highlights how ISPs in this proposal are trying to artificially change how the Internet works based on whether site owners can cough up enough money for "fast access".

Oh, and Trump appointed the guy who wants this to happen, which should particularly sting Trumptards who may often champion equal free speech and highlight leftists who restrict it.

Edited by Argonaut

Richard Power Colt

Thought I'd bump this thread since it's kinda relevant now: https://www.battleforthenet.com/?utm_source=AN&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BFTNCallTool&utm_content=voteannouncement&ref=fftf_fftfan1120_30&link_id=0&can_id=185bf77ffd26b044bcbf9d7fadbab34e&email_referrer=email_265020&email_subject=net-neutrality-dies-in-one-month-unless-we-stop-it

"This is your last chance to stop ISPs from messing up your Internet.

The FCC just announced its plan to slash net neutrality rules, allowing ISPs like Verizon to block apps, slow websites, and charge fees to control what you see & do online. They vote December 14th. But if Congress gets enough calls, *they* can stop the FCC."

Edited by Richard Power Colt

Neon_Dreaming

Thought I'd bump this thread since it's kinda relevant now: https://www.battleforthenet.com/?utm_source=AN&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BFTNCallTool&utm_content=voteannouncement&ref=fftf_fftfan1120_30&link_id=0&can_id=185bf77ffd26b044bcbf9d7fadbab34e&email_referrer=email_265020&email_subject=net-neutrality-dies-in-one-month-unless-we-stop-it

"This is your last chance to stop ISPs from messing up your Internet.

The FCC just announced its plan to slash net neutrality rules, allowing ISPs like Verizon to block apps, slow websites, and charge fees to control what you see & do online. They vote December 14th. But if Congress gets enough calls, *they* can stop the FCC."

This post should be stickied, this is a very important issue which will negatively effect US internet users if net neutrality is taken away. There's still time to let your voice be heard.

TheFranchise

Call your local reps. You can do so through this site which will link you to them and their offices https://www.battleforthenet.com/

E•MO•TION

As a Canadian, what can I do to help?

TheFranchise

As a Canadian, what can I do to help?

Start admitting American refugees.

In all seriousness though, we need to contact our local reps, and we need to protest on the streets. Take to the streets and make yourself visible. This cannot happen. Enough is enough. As a working man, Im tired of the rich making yet another shameless cash grab on MY back. As if the zillions theyre making isnt enough.

WE MUST STAND UP. YOU CAN SIGN A PETITION HERE https://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home

Edited by TheFranchise

fast and bulbous squid

And in a stunning turn of events, Trump fans have no problem with the destruction of Net Nuetrality.

I swear, that man could say cyanide is good for you and his supporters would believe him.

Not A Nice Person

The people in this thread man.

There would literally be little difference.

Blaze

Imagine you want to pull up GTAF to do some sh*tposting or load up whatever website you use when you're about to rub one out and you can't because the ISP has decided "nah we don't like this". ISP's heavily throttling connections and blocking content they don't want you to access isn't "little difference" - whether they be blocking pirate services or anything that doesn't agree with the ISP's political compass, the fact the movement to block is spearheaded by someone from the Trump administration is something you can chalk up to "little difference" is astounding.

Not A Nice Person

So many claims very little sources

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-11-21/the-end-of-net-neutrality-isn-t-the-end-of-the-world

Also many corporations are leftists so I ain't worried, Mark Cuban bought up a good point about Trump too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/22/mark-cuban-on-net-neutrality-and-trump.html

Edited by Nice Person

RedDagger

First link: focuses entirely on share prices and sidesteps pretty much the entire argument.

Second link: Trump is bad, therefore anything under state regulation will be bad and we should hand them over to the nice corporations that aren't Trump and are therefore good. If, well, you only focus on the bit talking about two tweets.

...yeah, not very convincing.

TheFranchise

Whats gonna happen to sites like GTAF when Net Neutrality is repealed? GTAF is a little site in a big ocean. I highly doubt GTAF is gonna have the ability to negotiate with ISPs. I hope we, as a country, can make enough noise to stop this. Theres 3 Republicans and 2 Democrats on the commission. We need just one to flip.

If it is repealed, there will be numerous lawsuits and court battles that will follow.

With all that said, Im finding it increasingly hard that Americans are going to put up and pay for internet the way some other countries like Portugal pays for mobile data (the only thing keeping ISPs from nickeling and diming is there is a lot of competition. Thats not the case here). If/ when ISPs start to try institute packages for different parts of the web, I think youre going to see a MASSIVE pushback amongst people in this country.... maybe even bordering on rioting. I just have a hard time seeing much of this country just bending over and taking it.

Edited by TheFranchise