Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (93,105 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Fireman

Speedrunning General Topic

Fireman

gtamarathon-profile_image-0f2b60dd8e23f5

The GTA Marathon took place from 4- 8 April. Check out the VODs!

I thought I'd make us a topic to discuss speedrunning, including any major events coming up or discuss new records, fun runs and such.

Some general speedrunning info; Speedrunning is a bunch of people trying to finish a game as quick as possible and compete for the best times. Speedrunners frequently stream their attemps Glitches and skips are allowed and usually encouraged since it leads to faster times, however there are seperate categories for the people who do not wish to speedrun like for most games that have gigantic time skips thanks to glitches.

The main seperate categories are Any%, which is finishing the game as quickly as possible in any way possible and 100%, clearing the game completely and NG+ which is a seperate category for games that have a New Game+ mode.

Additionally, people spend a lot of time on Tool-Assissted runs (TAS). These are runs where tools are used to perform frame perfect or (sub)pixel perfect input and create a perfect run. Quite a few TAS runs end up being turned into regular runs by insane people. Here is a TAS vs. real-time comparison of Mario Bros. the player also performs some extremely difficult tricks that the TAS also does;

Some sources to check out;

speedrun.com, the most used leaderboard.

/speedrun Subreddit

Games Done Quick, the biggest speedrunning events in the world.

European Speedrun Assembly, another big speedrunning event.

RPG Limit Break, popular speedrunning community, also has FF relays.

The 1545, large relay challenge of Rareware, Spyro, Crash, DK and Marios.

Live streams

As this is a GTA Forum, recently (2 days ago) a new trick was found to make Vice City Any% category even shorter, it now takes less than 9 minutes to finish it;

Edited by Fireman

Dealux

I expected Anti to break the record again. This stuff is actually fascinating to me and useful. I learn glitches and tricks from speedruns. I found a pretty useful one for

Fireman

Yeah finding glitches is a interesting but usually underappreciated job. Lots of glitches were never found by the person who also holds records. I'm like the only person who plays Millenium Racer, so I have to find the glitches myself and I get to run them.

This is one of the skips I recently found, required some weird sub-glitches including standing still for several seconds to make the game not think I was cheating;

I love watching Vice City runs, they're some of the most ridiculous runs in terms of glitches, both Any% and All Missions, very interesting to watch all the abuse a game can take :p

ten-a-penny

I'm a failure at Doom Speedrunning. Every Speedrun end up slower than the previous one.

Did finish all of Scythe in less than 4 hours. Good record for a slower-than-snails Doomguy.

Fireman

I'm looking forward to the Mario Series relay at SGDQ, plus another few speedruns I think I'll enjoy (Spyro 3, Crash, etc.)

RedDagger

Yeah finding glitches is a interesting but usually underappreciated job. Lots of glitches were never found by the person who also holds records. I'm like the only person who plays Millenium Racer, so I have to find the glitches myself and I get to run them.

Yeah, the fun bit about running games with smaller communities is that you get to the running and the glitch hunting/routing - when a game is already fairly broken-in in terms of speedrunning it becomes more about refining and finding obscure glitches which, while still fun, isn't really the same as completely breaking a game from scratch. I've lost a bit of interest in my speedgame because of that honestly, where the only glitches I can find are more theoretical ones that don't seem achievable.

There's also the problem of how dense a game is in terms of glitches - source games are something else, but a lot of games are annoyingly solid which makes them not that fun to play or watch if their vanilla tech isn't that interesting.

update_lsc

Ugh, vice city is absolutely ruined and not fun to watch imo. I still enjoy sa and gta4 runs the most, they're just the most enjoyable ones to watch. Especially sa 100%, S is just such an enjoyable person to watch. Kyle is also an absolute beast at gta4, i doubt anybody will ever beat him.

Dealux

Nothing is ruined. Just watch the categories you like.

Fireman

Ugh, vice city is absolutely ruined and not fun to watch imo. I still enjoy sa and gta4 runs the most, they're just the most enjoyable ones to watch. Especially sa 100%, S is just such an enjoyable person to watch. Kyle is also an absolute beast at gta4, i doubt anybody will ever beat him.

I guess opinions differ, I love seeing those complex speedruns even if the game is destroyed in the progress. I'll have trouble even remembering all the steps to take. I think it's quite impressive but I get that you might find other runs where the skill comes from difficulty jumps/impeccable timing, I love those too. Don't know if GTA has any frame perfect tricks though.

Edited by Fireman

Fireman

Last week the first sub 15 minute Sonic the Hedgehog II run happened a week ago, check it out;

And a new trick in Pokémon Red/Blue has led to a sub 13 minute run (10 days ago).

Edited by Fireman

Static

7min Prey(2017) Speedrun

Fireman

7min Prey(2017) Speedrun

That video got a lot of hate in the comments, what the hell?

Guess that happens when your video gets popular and plebs come out to play.

Fireman

SGDQ 2017 is starting in less than 20 minutes; Twitch

Don't know how to embed Twitch :p

Edited by Fireman

RedDagger

And the schedule for when games will be run:

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Can't say this one looks terribly special for me, few ones I'm interested in here and there but mostly that little FPS block of Half Life, Dishonored 2, Doom and HL2 plus the Halo run in a few hours...I'm a sucker for first person games.

Edited by RedDagger

Matrelith

I don't enjoy doing speedruns myself (I like to take my time and finish games slowly) but I do have a certain form of respect to professional speedrunners, at least the ones who manage to do it without exploits.

Only speedrun I did myself was of Resident Evil 1, which was suprisingly doable (and also gave my two trophies).

Edited by Matrelith

Fireman

And the schedule for when games will be run:

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Can't say this one looks terribly special for me, few ones I'm interested in here and there but mostly that little FPS block of Half Life, Dishonored 2, Doom and HL2 plus the Halo run in a few hours...I'm a sucker for first person games.

I like the Half-Life series, but not FPS specifically.

I got my eyes on Crash and Spyro and THPS and I enjoy all races, the relay will be amazing.

There's a lack of new games, I expected Prey to be on the schedule for example and there also doesn't seem to be a TAS-block?

Dark Souls 3 might be interesting.

Edited by Fireman

RedDagger

There's a lack of new games, I expected Prey to be on the schedule for example and there also doesn't seem to be a TAS-block?

Think the TASBot team said they felt it was a bit overdone so were taking a break from this GDQ.

And yeah, the races are gonna be nice - Tetris is always a good one, plus Crypt of the NecroDancer is something I like other than my normal fair of 3D games. Overall though just one of those tune in when I can sort of deals ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fireman

I just try to watch as much as possible, anything with difficult tricks in it and a lot of them I like to watch, doesn´t have to be a game I know, but ofcourse nostalgic games are more fun to watch.

Watched the Halo one last night, was really impressive.

Edited by Fireman

Fireman

So the GDQ stopwatch has been off, losing almost a second each minute, so every hour run would've actually been one minute longer than the timer shows.

They fixed it now, so the following speedruns should be legit and measured accurately.

Quite a few runs were switched around too, you have to check the schedule again.

Fireman

Pokémon was a letdown. Two cart switches and didn't even finish the game.

Fireman

Last night SGDQ races were amazing, no spoilers, but videos;

Mario Relay Series (Super Mario Bros 1, 2, 3,World):

Super Metroid (spoilers for this; early deaths):

Edited by Fireman

Fireman

SGDQ 2017 is over, you can

Glad that Breath of the Wild wasn't the last game, would've left a bad taste to the SGDQ because of the sh*tstorm.

My recommendations to watch;

- Freedom Planet (great coach commentry, unknown game for me)

- SW: Jedi Knight II: Outcase (great runner, high-energy and very entertaining)

Next event is the 1545 (see OP).

Edited by Fireman

RedDagger

Super Panga World had top-notch commentary, probably the most entertaining to watch. Half Life and Super Mario 64 were good for the expected great display of skill, thought it was a rather nice event overall.

Fireman

Yeah ROM-hacks are always really fun. I ended up rewatching the previous Dram World and Kaiso runs, those are always at the very least entertaining.

Schedule for 1545 is here.

As you can see games are being run out of order and estimations are given according to the team members skill levels, but ofcourse anything can happen in such a long race.

Edited by Fireman

Fireman

ESA is starting tomorrow. Check out the streaming schedules at the top post, lots of fantastic games coming up. Such as Turtles in Time, GTA San Andreas, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Pokémon XY, L.A. Noire, GTA Vice City and lots more!

I want to see L.A. Noire for sure, seems like a hilarious game for speedruns.

Edited by Fireman

Fireman

I recorded my own Section 8 run yesterday and got what I wanted, below 1hr30min and a new WR;

Edited by Fireman

Dealux

I'm watching some GTA 1 speedruns right now. GTA 1 and 2 are the only games in the series (well, Chinatown Wars as well) that I have yet to complete.

Fireman

I'll try to update this more often, but there's a lot of speedrunning marathons nowadays.

Smash the Record 14-09 till 16-09.

SpeedRunning eXpo (SRX) from September 30th to 1st of October.

Edited by Fireman