Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (84,879 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

GooD-NTS

Take Two vs. Modding

PatrickJr.

In order to qualify all of the questions we had received during past weeks, we make some explanations:

Unfortunately, we were unable to answer those questions earlier due to real life (yeah we have some).

The community

First of all, we want to say "Thank you" to everyone who supported us in this tough situation. We’re very grateful for your support; for demonstration of the fact, that modding community is still a minority, but very vocal, creative and determined minority. You made the impossible and this story is already scribed into the history of PC gaming and the Internet itself.

Yes, this is your victory! Congratulations and many thanks once again!

OpenIV and modding

The development of OpenIV will be continued as before. OpenIV never supported GTA Online modding and will not support it in the future. Our work will be continued within the Rockstar modding policy.

Liberty City in Grand Theft Auto V

Unfortunately, our highly anticipated mod “Liberty City in GTA V” will not be released because it clearly contradicts with Rockstar modding policy. Liberty City mod is a big loss for us, since it was a huge part of our motivation to push OpenIV functionality.

If you are wondering what is next, well, we are currently revising our plans for the future.

Sincerely,

OpenIV Team.

Glad to see an official statement from you! Can't wait to see what's in store for future updates of OpenIV!

SMG

Thank you very much for finally giving us a statement on what's going on OpenIV Team!

Before anyone asks if "OpenIV Team", who joined "A week ago" is legit. Yes it is, because GooD-NTS has given the post a like and would not do this for a fake.

I was hoping that there would be some commentary about Take-Two/Rockstar response to the situation but I can only assume that there must be some non-disclosure agreement in place and at the end of the day, the OpenIV team who seemed so eager to comply with Take-Two's demands probably wouldn't be continuing if they didn't have some kind of assurance that they can continue within the Rockstar Modding Policy.

Going forward, using Anonymous handles is another good step forward just in case because you never know who's lurking or out to find you.

In the end even though it is a sad loss of ambitious projects like LCinV at least we have some slightly better guidelines on what Rockstar/Take-Two consider acceptable with modding so that we can avoid running into legal problems in the future, and hopefully Rockstar/Take-Two learn a few lessons in dealing with their fans and how they approach these issues.

Is it enough to warrant lifting a negative review? I think it is! We got what we really wanted, which was OpenIV itself and letting the OpenIV Team continue to pursue their creativity (even though it's more limited). And we need to lift the review score so that if we get screwed again in the future we can send the review scores back down, since clearly the review score seems to be the only way to get through to them as a community (I wish they had more open channels).

Maybe a new project could be one similar to the Myriad Islands project from III-era? What do you think about that?

Thanks again OpenIV Team

Edited by SMG

zanesix

Very sad about LC in V, but I cannot say that it wasn't expected. Hooray for OpenIV!

GooD-NTS

Guys, if in time of crisis you had OpenIV uploaded somewhere please remove all links. OpenIV is available for download from official website.

Also, if you did something to trick OpenIV update, please revert it back.

frazzlee

< 3 thanks for statement and glad to hear development will continue

MvcGyver

Liberty City Noo :(

Kesha_F1

Congrats OpenIV and our community with victory above Take-Two «Mod killer» Interactive.

I hope guys update their great tool for mod community.

RedDagger

R* was never against mods, in fact, they liked the community work even before V and made mods legal in single player. They initialy thought that OpenIV is a source to Online modding, but they still tried to find a way to keep single player modding alive. It's T2's fault, not R*'s

There's little chance Rockstar is completely innocent in all this.

That's f*cking sad. I still don't understand what does R* have against it specifically, since it would benefit all sides.

Probably related to how IP is a finicky little thing, I imagine that most devs at Rockstar would be okay with it themselves.

SnH firefighter

Unfortunately, our highly anticipated mod “Liberty City in GTA V” will not be released because it clearly contradicts with Rockstar modding policy. Liberty City mod is a big loss for us, since it was a huge part of our motivation to push OpenIV functionality.

That's f*cking sad. I still don't understand what does R* have against it specifically, since it would benefit all sides.

yea its sad as hell but its how company's work.. my theory is there will be a 10 year anniversary version maybe? tho it wouldn't be a dlc it would be a full game with eflc in it as well

MeatSafeMurderer

Guys, if in time of crisis you had OpenIV uploaded somewhere please remove all links. OpenIV is available for download from official website.

Also, if you did something to trick OpenIV update, please revert it back.

Done and not yet done (but it will be). Let the fish resume falling from the sky :)

SaveOpenIV

In order to qualify all of the questions we had received during past weeks, we make some explanations:

Unfortunately, we were unable to answer those questions earlier due to real life (yeah we have some).

The community

First of all, we want to say "Thank you" to everyone who supported us in this tough situation. We’re very grateful for your support; for demonstration of the fact, that modding community is still a minority, but very vocal, creative and determined minority. You made the impossible and this story is already scribed into the history of PC gaming and the Internet itself.

OpenIV and modding

The development of OpenIV will be continued as before. OpenIV never supported GTA Online modding and will not support it in the future. Our work will be continued within the Rockstar modding policy.

If you are wondering what is next, well, we are currently revising our plans for the future.

Sincerely,

OpenIV Team.

We've done it! We've all marked history. We all demonstrated to R* who's boss as we as a mod community, as we too deserve our right to also have our voices heard; not silenced!

You've accumulated 80,154 supporters, including myself & still counting to this day. You all are awesome for what you've created for this community, let alone the unspeakable truth is unspoken in words as what you & your team have done for all of us and I believe you all deserve a beer for this victory even though it's under terms.

No victory without sacrifice...

Unfortunately, it has to be like this buddy. We live & we lose.

- Happy fourth of July everyone.

Edited by SaveOpenIV

MrGTAmodsgerman

What if the OpenIV converter gets transformed into a Map converter that blocks any GTA IV original map content? I mean for GTA IV Map mods. Will this against the rules?

OhDee

Really sad about losing out on a chance to explore LC again, but so pleased OpenIV will live on and continue to be the backbone of the modding community. Keep up the great work, guys! It means so much to so many people! :)

MeatSafeMurderer

The ONLY reason Rockstar reacted was because of negative attention they were getting in the media. Rockstar did lie initially and agreed with Take-Two until they were forced to face the impact of this choice. You might think the action of the community was "harsh" but if there is one thing I've learned about Rockstar it's that they really don't like the media when they can't manipulate it, which is why I helped with websites this time make sure the correct info was being put out AND keep on it. If the Steam reviews are a sacrifice for this then that will be a reminder to Rockstar what happens when they tried to be ok with banning Single Player Modding.

I don't believe that. I guarantee Rockstar was ahead of the curve and that T2's decision was frustrating for Rockstar as well. It's pretty clear that at least some of the Rockstar team enjoys GTAV mods, so it would be strange if at least ONE of them didn't speak up when T2's C&D went out.

As far as your threatening attitude toward Rockstar and TakeTwo, using review bombing as leverage to "keep them in line"... that's actually a pretty horrifying precedent. I don't like that one bit. That is NOT diplomacy, it is NOT professional, and it is NOT how a civilized society acts.

And I've said before... if gamers keep up this bullsh*t, jumping straight for review bombing (which, again, gamers have yet to rectify even though T2 reversed its stance), it's going to force the gaming industry to employ counter measures eventually.

They're not going to risk having their reputations and revenue destroyed by vengeful mob mentality for too much longer.

When we, the gamers, appear to be wholly unreasonable in that we refuse to even attempt diplomacy and jump straight for the nuclear option, these large companies are GOING to protect themselves from us. And what they do is going to be bad for ALL of us.

Everyone who review bombed GTAV needs to fix their review. You got what you wanted, now hold up your end of the bargain.

I'm sorry...but no. The "nuclear option" is what brought OpenIV back from the brink. Rockstar have done things which bugged the community many times during GTA5's lifespan. Storable emergency vehicles, the de-blacklisting of certain other vehicles, increased payouts, a better lobby system, nerfed OP weapons, buffed UP weapons. Each and every time they have failed to change anything despite all the deplomacy in the world. What happened here is that Rockstar and Take Two learned that they should not f*ck with the people who pad their pockets. Let the reviews stand as a monument...like a statue of fallen heroes in wartime...a reminder of what happens when you try to screw over an entire portion of your fan base. The reviews will recover in time...but they will never be where they could have been...and it will be Take Twos fault...and they know it.

Edited by MeatSafeMurderer

ikt

Will all existing functionality keep existing, or will parts of the program be disabled or removed?

Remix1994PL

Will all existing functionality keep existing, or will parts of the program be disabled or removed?

Good question.

DeaconX7

Rockstar should just hire you guys.

Jimbatron

The community

OpenIV and modding

Sincerely,

OpenIV Team.

Welcome back :^:

MissingNoGuy55

I'm so glad development is going to continue! The loss of LCIV is a bit saddening, but I'm just glad OpenIV can be worked on again! I'm hoping .ymt and .ysc editing will become integrated soon in the future.

Edited by MissingNoGuy55

Mr.Arrow

As expected, Liberty City won't come back. You have to make a map from scratch I guess.

Victory comes at a price.

wapster

It's a real shame Liberty City V has to be taken out the back and shot, but as a compromise we get the continued development and distribution of our favorite modding tool. I hope to speak for the community when I say, thank you to the OpenIV team for your perseverance and determination in the face of adversity, to the community for banding together as one to defend our modding abilities as PC gamers, and to Rockstar themselves for standing with the community and mediating on our behalf to the ignorant, outdated-opinionated idiotic suits at Take Two's management. I hope that, to add insult to injury, another modder makes a Liberty City mod that can't be hit with a C/D demand so that we can have our modding cake and eat it, in addition to showing a massive middle finger to Take Two. And yes, I am a little drunk while typing this.

qaisjp

Thank you very much for finally giving us a statement on what's going on OpenIV Team!

Before anyone asks if "OpenIV Team", who joined "A week ago" is legit. Yes it is, because GooD-NTS has given the post a like and would not do this for a fake.

I was hoping that there would be some commentary about Take-Two/Rockstar response to the situation but I can only assume that there must be some non-disclosure agreement in place and at the end of the day, the OpenIV team who seemed so eager to comply with Take-Two's demands probably wouldn't be continuing if they didn't have some kind of assurance that they can continue within the Rockstar Modding Policy.

Going forward, using Anonymous handles is another good step forward just in case because you never know who's lurking or out to find you.

In the end even though it is a sad loss of ambitious projects like LCinV at least we have some slightly better guidelines on what Rockstar/Take-Two consider acceptable with modding so that we can avoid running into legal problems in the future, and hopefully Rockstar/Take-Two learn a few lessons in dealing with their fans and how they approach these issues.

Is it enough to warrant lifting a negative review? I think it is! We got what we really wanted, which was OpenIV itself and letting the OpenIV Team continue to pursue their creativity (even though it's more limited). And we need to lift the review score so that if we get screwed again in the future we can send the review scores back down, since clearly the review score seems to be the only way to get through to them as a community (I wish they had more open channels).

Maybe a new project could be one similar to the Myriad Islands project from III-era? What do you think about that?

Thanks again OpenIV Team

I don't think it does warrant lifting a negative review.

Developers of FiveM from a year or two ago are still banned from every R* game under the planet (even games they haven't even played yet).

All I did was commit a modification to a html file on the website, and they stopped me from playing Max Payne 3 when I hadn't even installed it yet.

Edited by qaisjp

PatrickJr.

Thanks again OpenIV Team

I don't think it does warrant lifting a negative review.

Developers of FiveM from a year or two ago are still banned from every R* game under the planet (even games they haven't even played yet).

All I did was commit a modification to a html file on the website, and they stopped me from playing Max Payne 3 when I hadn't even installed it yet.

Ouch.

Sheriff CWF

At least OpenIV is back

Edited by Sheriff CWF

TheCoolDean

It's very simple, if Liberty City's map would be modded into GTA V, then there would be no reason for people to purchase GTA 4 and other titles that have liberty city maps.

Sharkiller

Im the only one that read:

(iii) use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP) in the project.

as not use a completely different game like the map of Red Dead Redemption.

But GTA4 and GTA5 are same IP so there is nothing wrong with using GTA 4 or 5 between them.

Edited by Sharkiller

PatrickJr.

It's very simple, if Liberty City's map would be modded into GTA V, then there would be no reason for people to purchase GTA 4 and other titles that have liberty city maps.

I'm sure it said you'd be required to own GTA 4 to be able to use the tool to get the map into 5

RoscoeHussein

I'm sure it said you'd be required to own GTA 4 to be able to use the tool to get the map into 5

I guess rockstar didn't understand or care about it.

So, now we wait for someone who is willing to risk making another LC mod...

Goodestcitizen

I'm still leaving a bad review...

spaceshape

Why no LibV & RDRV? I though they wouldn't mess with GTAO.