Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,907 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
MythicalCreature

What if GTA III was cancelled?

MythicalCreature

GTA III released only a few weeks after 9/11, and there were a few changes made to the game because of the incident. However from a few old interviews and articles that I'm too lazy to link to here, the housers were originally planning to cancel the game altogether. The whole country was rocked by the incident after all, and the Housers had witnessed the event from their own apartment windows too, so the emotional mindset behind not wanting to release such a violent game after such a horrific event sort of makes sense. Thankfully for gamers they didn't cancel it as Take-Two (was it Take-Two?) convinced them to make a few changes and release the game, and GTA III legendarily broke new grounds in gaming.

But what if Rockstar had cancelled the release of GTA III after all? How would it have impacted their future releases? Would there even be a GTA game after III's cancellation? How would the landscape of the gaming industry be like today?

What do you think?

Algonquin Assassin

This is a good example of the butterfly effect I think.;)

I believe the landscape would be very different if GTA III was cancelled. However I still think the genre would've thrived because games like Mafia would've picked up the ball and ran with it.

universetwisters

I would scream and scream and scream in the middle of Target until I piss myself and get asked to leave by the management.

But seriously tho, like MVC said just because Rockstar didn't do it first that doesn't mean that the whole open world genre would be ruined. Remember that Mafia and even The Getaway were being worked on at around the same time, so they probably would become the gold standard for sandbox crime games, with GTA as we know it being called a "Getaway/Driver/Mafia clone" or just not existing at all.

Edited by universetwisters

Ron Horse

Maybe the Driver series would have not become total sh*t.

DOUGL4S1

Someone else would've made a 3D open-world game, without this GTA Monopoly, maybe Driver, at least in the begining. And this Forum would either not exist or die a few months after, so it would probably be a good thing to society.

(Joke plz no hate)

Edited by DOUGL4S1

DimitriFaustin

Well, we'd still have the 2D GTAs wondering what could have been, not to mention this forum wouldn't really be buzzing unless it chose to adapt to being just a discussion place for

2D GTA fans. And the Housers/Leslie B./other associated people would be unheard of, let alone be stinking rich.

I'm kind of divided as to if someone else would really pick up the whole concept afterwards, considering very few people would want to deliberately cause controversy the way

Rockstar has with the GTA series to draw more attention and profit. Even Sam Houser was reluctant to allow DMA to continue with the production of the first GTA back then when he

headed BMG Interactive.

Then again, most video game developers are quite frankly too much of a coward to even want San Andreas Hot Coffee mod-level controversy and uproar on their hands,

which says a lot about Rockstar and Take-Two Interactive.

universetwisters

I don't think Mafia could have caused any controversy. It depicted gangland prohibition-era shootings, unlike GTA where it's just madmen running around the present.

DimitriFaustin

I don't think Mafia could have caused any controversy. It depicted gangland prohibition-era shootings, unlike GTA where it's just madmen running around the present.

Mafia 2 has been called for to be banned by various people because they were supposedly "unfairly stereotypical." This reminds me of the Yakuza series (Japan's been trying to get rid of all Yakuza

influence, even if that means banning video games portaying the yakuza in any light). From what I've read, Mafia 3 really polarized people for going for a non-traditional setting and an African-American

protagonist.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-17-mob-violence-victim-calls-for-mafia-ii-ban

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/11/02/mafia-iii-took-a-risk-by-choosing-a-black-protagonist-but-its-really-paid-off/?utm_term=.8e2c7feaed5b

To be honest, the only thing that's "unfair" and really sad is how people are seemingly so polarized these days.

Edited by DimitriFaustin

Jeansowaty

Then there would be no future GTA's. kek.

DOUGL4S1

Then there would be no future GTA's. kek.

Not really, Vice City was probably already being planned around this time, so maybe Rockstar would focus on that and abandon the Liberty City setting until the 9/11 trauma and paranoia isn't as big of a thing. They would have much less budget for the game, so we would probably see another GTA, probably even Vice City, just not the Vice City we have today.

I wish I had Rick's portal gun...

Edited by DOUGL4S1

Ron Horse

We'd all be playing Race'n'Chase Online.

🕊

I think that open worlds would be built around functionality rather than environments unto themselves, and probably average at the size of Bully's open world, and the larger ones the size and detail of IV's Algonquin.

The moral crusaders might be more prevalent if GTA hadn't been around to pull mainstream video games away from those considerations.

Edited by mzt

Queen Elizabeth II

Poeple would think that Saint's Row is the best.

Edited by Queen Elizabeth II

Donatello

No Big Smoke memes.

Edited by Donatello

Payne Killer

IV fanboys wouldn't exist and V fanboys won't be crying. And, Online wouldn't exist, if only.

Tao Cheng

Gaming industry:

There will be a way around sandboxing, maybe not as great... Developers will still see their competition and implement some great parts of their gameplay unnecessarily into their games.

Me:

My intuition with detecting criminals in real life wouldn't be as great and I would easily fall for any lies the news would provide.

DJThanos

Driver 3 would have been a better game, but I think Atari would still force Reflections to release it earlier.

Ryhan'ZFX

what if? did you mean that gta 3 is considered as revolutionalized gaming? dunno but these brits brother would've been worked with ea and make a serious sh*tty games, i prefer wonder that i hope Battlefield were published and developed by rockstar...i mean look at it, it has all the ingredients of making such "Revolutionalize" game, for example the vehicle thing and free roam also the craziest online MP i ever had (i also played BF1942 and BF2)...but ea failed to executed it, but well you know rockstar always succeed to execute something, i preffered this WHAT IF theory sorry if a bit off topic and the sh*tty grammar...

Ciao

Algonquin Assassin

IV fanboys wouldn't exist.

We'd still exist just as a different species.

SMACKED!

Some people could of had a productive and social life instead. It wouldn't be that bad.

Stoney0503

the gta series would be 100% benz free

NicholasInfante1992

The Grand Theft Auto series would of been forgotten and faded into obscurity.

NotFreeman

my English would be trash

Jack Lupino

There would not be GTASeries and Guides channel :( and probably no cancerous clickbaiters like sernandoe or mrbossftloss.

There would be less open world games or not at all since SR copied the idea from gta.

There would have been no Follow the damn train,Big Smoke memes etc.

And most importantly there would be no forum to complain about gta 5/online.

gtafaninwest

Then I wouldn't have known there was a game called GTA. I would have stuck to playing Thief, Max Payne, and Looney Tunes-based games.

Am Shaegar

Less Liberty city based games, and MOAR interesting locales: instead

unopieceo

Being basically complete at the time of 9/11, it would become the most infamous game never released, the stuff of legends. I imagine there would be boot leg releases through various employees who would hate the idea of all their hard work going to waste, and people would get to enjoy the game eventually if they had a mod chipped ps2. The PC version would never get to be unfortunately.

CoolMods
Posted (edited)

Then 3D GTA's won't exsist....

Edited by CoolMods

ClaudeIzABadAzz

Then a 10 year old me would cry for the rest of eternity...

Picadorito

GTA Online would still exist as a succesful comercial concept by another company and with other name before the ''Online'' obviously.

But I wouldn't have the good habit of playing GTA III and GTA Online at the same time something that really expands your gaming mindset...