3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RDR2 Screenshot Analysis Thread

greenrock

I've been thinking about the rings and what they could mean. Facing the wearer it could be a G, facing away from the wear it looks like a B.

The rings and the weapons are very ornate and expensive looking, perhaps a bit much for a bandit trying to stay anonymous. The sleeves look very pristine, far too clean for someone sleeping out in the rough. Hands don't look particularly weathered for a man who does a lot of action in the wilds.

Kirsty very swiftly noted the D could stand for Dutch. However I don't believe he would dress himself like that, a man burdened by his own sense of humility. A provider rather than a taker, seeing himself as a Robin Hood of the Old West, he had intrinsic intentions and I wouldn't imagine he'd fashion himself in over-indulgence being one of the ideologies he sets himself against, a man against civilisation.

The lion seal oozes something of power and authority with the red eyes suggesting intensity and anger. While Dutch did possess these qualities he aimed them at bureaucracy, the greed of power which something like a sovereign lion would stand for.

I don't see these arms belonging to a bandit rogue, but rather somebody who values excess, somebody progressive in industry.

Wether it's a G or B remains which way you look at it and you're interpretation of it. They could allude to the wearer's name or company they belong in. I know the Freemasons wore a G inscribed on their rings anointing to God.

67pjbNT.jpg

Edited by Arthur Fookin Shelby

Good analysis!

I saw on another analysis video that it could be "CB" as well. I'm not convinced though, my eyes will only let me see a "D", only because we've got the lion's face on the other ring to compare it to. Since the lion is facing away from the body, it would make sense for the letter on the other ring to be facing that way too. Like you say, the hands aren't weathered, though the finger nails look full of dirt. They might be only showing them us in this light because it shows how much detail there is going to be in the cutscenes etc, rather than because it all means something :lol:

• Like 2

Didn't think of CB, interesting, gives a ton to allude to. But yes the 'D' (godammit R*) seems like the more logical letter facing the same way as the lion. Unless there is separate meaning behind a ring facing the owner? something personal.

It being a cutscene does give it the implication that it's part of the main narrative and important characters do tend to show up in them. Then again it could also be a cutscene from a side quest or insignificant character intended to show off detail.

I'm going to throw out an uneducated wildcard and assume this could be the main/or one of antagonists in the game.

Or at the least someone with bad intentions

I made this for a better comparison with G, D and B in Old English font (because this is the most similar font in my opinion):

ringletter.jpg

I still think it´s a "G"...

yes I really hope Anthony is right. he is a great actor. he played one of my favorite characters in the walking dead game William carver. it would be awesome to have him in the game. and he also has connections to rockstar because he voiced tony in gta 3.

• Like 2

Would anyone be able to know the name and possibly the years in which the gun behind his back was used?

JjoqNIN.jpg

Would anyone be able to know the name and possibly the years in which the gun behind his back was used?

JjoqNIN.jpg

Looks like a Spencer Carbine. Produced from 1860 to 1869. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_repeating_rifle

spencer-1.jpg

You may recognize it as the Repeater Carbine from Read Dead Redemption (the first repeater you get). The one in the screenshot looks much nicer than the one in RDR though. (seen below)

2142564-rdr_jackmarston_carbine.jpg

• Like 3

TheOriginalGunslinger

I hate to be "that" guy but this is the only thing that has been bugging me since these screens dropped.

See the gun on his back in this screen? Why is the butt of the weapon facing downwards and not upwards like in Red Dead Redemption? Not really an issue at all actually but just curious... It's just in a different facing position compared to the first Red Dead Redemption is what I'm trying to point out and was wondering if anyone else noticed? Perhaps, he grabs his weapon off his back a certain way in this one I rekon? :)

JjoqNIN.jpg

Red-Dead-Redemption-2-696860.jpg

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger
  • Like 4

A quick google search tells me that carrying it barrel up is not ideal as debris and moisture can get down the barrel. Also barrel up is unsafe in case of accidental firing.

• Like 2

I only just noticed this but in the screenshot above, the dude has a rifle sling rather than that weird lil back holster thing Marston had! i hope your rifle bounces around when ur running that would make my detail senses tingle lol

• Like 2

I only just noticed this but in the screenshot above, the dude has a rifle sling rather than that weird lil back holster thing Marston had! i hope your rifle bounces around when ur running that would make my detail senses tingle lol

I think it's fair to say that if they made flip flops flop that a rifle sling on your back will bounce around. :lol:

• Like 3

A quick google search tells me that carrying it barrel up is not ideal as debris and moisture can get down the barrel. Also barrel up is unsafe in case of accidental firing.

An accident like shooting your own head?

Marston started out with a sling as well.

that ring smybol is no letter I think, looks more like a scorpion to me....the other one clearly is a lion...sooo...maybe?!

that ring smybol is no letter I think, looks more like a scorpion to me....the other one clearly is a lion...sooo...maybe?!

Or a B for Benz? ;)

Edited by Spider-Vice

yes I really hope Anthony is right. he is a great actor. he played one of my favorite characters in the walking dead game William carver. it would be awesome to have him in the game. and he also has connections to rockstar because he voiced tony in gta 3.

http://gtaforums.com/topic/871546-do-you-think-this-man-is-the-protagonist/?p=1069452536

I said that back in march, and I really think it's likely!

Or a B for Benz? ;)

ok I just saw the images a few pages back, seems it is indeed a letter. NOW; if it was really a letter and further more a B, it would certainly stand for BETRAYAL, wouldn't it?! I mean why would it stand for the benz? what has the benz to do with RDR2? come on "spice" (<--- oh btw that's your new nickname, deal with it bruh :D )

Edited by Noclue_42
  • Like 2

About that Ring on the finger, I'm pretty damn sure it's a G. The B and D have two hooks on the top and bottom curving outwards but the G has only one on the top curving inwards. Some other parts of the letter as well are identical to G.

XuQ45Il.jpg

JjoqNIN.jpg

Horse on the right...he has BALLS!

Horse on the right...he has BALLS!

The horse is too small for people and the balls are too small for the horse :p

speaking of horses, you see the protag's horse? look it in the eye, it is either very drunk, or very sad. it looks weird whatever the case (:

• 3 weeks later...

The detail and realism of the mud is quite amazing. No, I'm not being funny or sarcastic. I really do find the mud in RDR2 amazing. That nighttime photo of that town with the guy walking through the mud and the footprints that he leaves behind, as well as the wagon tracks, is very real looking. It makes me wonder if we'll get a mission where we'll end up getting sent out to find someone, like a bounty for instance, or a prized animal out in the wild and having to use their footprints to track them down. That'll make it more fun when we are doing such activity.

• Like 1

yea jrl51592 that had better be realistic mud. if its not im cancalling my preorder and rioting against take two. they are too busy making microtransactions than to care about our favorite part of the game. the realistick mud.

in all serious It would be cool if you could track. maybe if we have a native American protagonist he could track very good.

Dee-account-with-1kbans

yea jrl51592 that had better be realistic mud. if its not im cancalling my preorder and rioting against take two. they are too busy making microtransactions than to care about our favorite part of the game. the realistick mud.

in all serious It would be cool if you could track. maybe if we have a native American protagonist he could track very good.

..was that a dig at me? If so 2/10

Am I the only one who suspects that the protagonist (or at least one of them) will be a custom character since R* already stated that RDR2 will have a heavy focus on online and also noting that GTAV have never seen the promised single player dlcs? I am guessing that instead of having different characters for single and multiplayer modes, maybe the history mode is tied to online mode and that way the single and multi player protagonist could be the same. Shark card (or bonds) could be sold for offline play as well. What do u guys think?

The fact that R*'s games are controlled story-driven experiences with unique characterization, then no, I don't see them doing custom story characters in RDR2 or in any upcoming game. They're just good the way they're. Online multiplayer is where custom characters will exist.

• Like 2