3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RDR2 Screenshot Analysis Thread

greenrock

I'll bet the game ships looking damn good. A new bar for open world games.

But it'll have decreased draw distance, less environmental fx, and far fewer advance lighting effect than we end up seeing in the next trailer.

Don't see a reason for any downgrades tbh.

I'll bet the game ships looking damn good. A new bar for open world games.

But it'll have decreased draw distance, less environmental fx, and far fewer advance lighting effect than we end up seeing in the next trailer.

Don't see a reason for any downgrades tbh.

Overambition / too many bugs.

Every Rockstar Game has had features cut and tech scaled back. I'm not knocking them for it, it is was it is.

To their credit, probably outside of V and maybe those alpha build screens of SA, every game has looked better upon release than from early screens.

They removed trees and they added depth of field to that image and changed lighting. That is an enhancement, but the graphics didn't really change. We all know they use fake lights and they add some effects, but that's it. Most screens are identical or almost identical to the final thing. Or uglier.

If anything, only the exaggerated smoke in the outlaw picture is fake, the rest is all plausible. Rockstar isn't Ubisoft.

that still means we cant take these screens as how the actual game will look. and like i said earler, R* had its fair share of downgrades in the past. just not as bad as ubisofts.

also, that pic with trevor had more done to it than just "lighting touch ups"

theres no aliasing and the textures are of wayyy better quality

Touching up a screenshot isn't dumbing down the game, at least in my view of what I consider 'dumbed down'.

Their promotional screenshots ARE NOT representative of the game when it came out for PS3 and Xbox 360, but they don't mean Rockstar dumbed down the game.

Watch the any of the trailers and it's basically representative of what you get in GTA V Last gen.

As for the screenshot where Trevor blows up the house, I think that's nothing more than touching up the shot... and the 'true in-game' shared here looks worse than what we actually played (its too pixelated, seriously watch the Crystal Maze mission on Youtube, it doesn't look as bad as that 'true' screenshot)

They added some stage light to Trevor, made him look more detailed, and added DoF... but the important thing is Rockstar never had a superior looking version of the game running where they took the screenshot from. They probably took the screenshot from the same game we played on PS3 and 360 with the same quality, and touched it up to make it look better.

That's why trailers and promotional gameplay are more true to the actual game while screenshots are basically lies.

Edited by IG_

The reason why they touch up screenshots is because still images are not a good representation of how a game will look in motion. They use any and all tricks at their disposal. And yes, some of the time a whole bunch of trees get removed - it's not sinister, they wanted to put those trees in there, but over the course of the game they realised the density was messing with the frame-rate.

• Like 3

And yes, some of the time a whole bunch of trees get removed - it's not sinister, they wanted to put those trees in there, but over the course of the game they realised the density was messing with the frame-rate.

Yeah i have no doubt the planes and jets in GTAV forced them to lower the density as pop in and frame drops must have been getting out of hand. I am confident RDR2 will be fine in that regard considering all travel is done on foot or horse. No flying and no high speed travel in vehicles should give them room to make the forested areas really dense.

Edited by GourangaMaster

Dee-account-with-1kbans

Thats why Im not getting excited over these screens. Its bad enough they show jack sh*t, but now I have to worry about the game not looking as good.

So thanks R*. For 7 months of silence and a huge f*cking stab in the back. But hey, at least we got screens to last us over until the end of f*ckING JULY!!!

• Like 1

Thats why Im not getting excited over these screens. Its bad enough they show jack sh*t, but now I have to worry about the game not looking as good.

So thanks R*. For 7 months of silence and a huge f*cking stab in the back. But hey, at least we got screens to last us over until the end of f*ckING JULY!!!

The game will look as good as the trailer. Trailers have always been representative of what we get.

It's cool, we all eventually get over every delayed Rockstar product :p

We waited two years for GTA V... and now GTA V is four years old. Time flies.

Edited by IG_
  • Like 2

Still GTA V matches with 2017 games. Even some current games look worse than GTA V.

• Like 5

Dee-account-with-1kbans

The game will look as good as the trailer. Trailers have always been representative of what we get.

Tell that to GTAV trailer 1.

Still GTA V matches with 2017 games. Even some current games look worse than GTA V.

Is a last gen remaster looking great imoressive, though? Its still the same game with the same assets. They had lots of room to update the graphics and lighting and textures. These machines are almost 15x as powerful as their predecessors. Other games are built from the ground up on these systems and they dont use outdated assets and tech. If anything, Horizon ZD is more impressive than GTAV. Im surprised they pulled that off at a rock solid 30fps and 1080p non dynamic resolution

• Like 1

The screenshots look amazing and Rockstar is set to write new standards in creating an atmospheric, believable and coherent rural environment. Ginger hair and grass and a few weird artifacts could be an evidence that the game still needs more time to be populated and requires more polishing runs.

Edited by Jabalous

Tell that to GTAV trailer 1.

Is a last gen remaster looking great imoressive, though? Its still the same game with the same assets. They had lots of room to update the graphics and lighting and textures. These machines are almost 15x as powerful as their predecessors. Other games are built from the ground up on these systems and they dont use outdated assets and tech. If anything, Horizon ZD is more impressive than GTAV. Im surprised they pulled that off at a rock solid 30fps and 1080p non dynamic resolution

Look mate,if there is any downgrades you will notice it before buying the game in the last few trailers for it.

it's the same figure at the end of the trailer, you can see he is quite big and burly

fb251063185633d076705addacb36d6bbf9e8d7ered_dead_redemption_2_trailer_grab_black

juuuuuust like....MICHAEL MADSEN!

Will we have a variety of outfits in this game? Something similar to GTA V? Changeable boots, belts, jacket, hat, shirt etc.

Edited by Stellasin

The difference is that RDR2's world isn't as populated and dense as GTA 5's. With that being said, there won't be a bunch of vehicles,pedestrians and buildings taking up a lot of the GPU's memory. RDR 2 is basically gonna be a bunch of wilderness with a few towns here and there. Take Horizon Zero Dawn as an example. Believe me, they're not gonna leave us graphically unsatisfied with their first latest gen game. It's just not gonna happen.

• Like 7

Will we have a variety of outfits in this game? Something similar to GTA V? Changeable boots, belts, jacket, hat, shirt etc.

It's anyone's guess. I have a feeling they'll do something similar to GTA V. Where there are some clothing options to choose from that mostly fit the singleplayer character(s), but there will be more options that are strictly for the online characters.

Edited by JohnWeazel

Lol have you not seen the GTA V trailer 1 vs the actual game comparisons?

I learned my lesson while waiting for GTAV...

Graphics will be dumbed down, expect less grass, trees, etc.

:p

Engines do improve as they're developed though, don't forget. Plus they're now working with next gen hardware, not dumbing down bits and bobs because the PS3 and Xbox 360 can't handle it.

Doesnt mean they wont downgrade. These consoles arent really all that powerful. I can assure you the game wont look like the screens or the first trailer

PS4Pro & Xbox Scorpio will look like that.

• Like 1

I learned my lesson while waiting for GTAV...

Graphics will be dumbed down, expect less grass, trees, etc.

:p

Engines do improve as they're developed though, don't forget. Plus they're now working with next gen hardware, not dumbing down bits and bobs because the PS3 and Xbox 360 can't handle it.

Doesnt mean they wont downgrade. These consoles arent really all that powerful. I can assure you the game wont look like the screens or the first trailer

You are really underestimating what this gen of consoles are capable of. If Horizon zero dawn can pull this off on a ps4 i can assure you, you will be sorely mistaken my friend.

eJXAQ8a.jpg

32285276714_7e724c1665_o.png

Edited by GourangaMaster

POrJ5lg.jpg

I think that the last one in the left, in the screenshot, it is not actually john, instead it's the "indian" guy in the artwork on the far right.

the pic with the stagecoach, everyone seems to have red hair, even the horse up front. rival ginger gang? ^

As a ginger myself, this pleases me. It's good to see my kind have more recognition that's been long overdue as well as a prominent role in a video game. I may have to bring back my old RDR gang called, Red Dead Gingers just for RDR2.

Those screens are beautiful and I absolutely love how detailed the firearms are. I have a feeling that I'll become completely smitten with the guns in RDR2 once the game is finally released.

it's the same figure at the end of the trailer, you can see he is quite big and burly

fb251063185633d076705addacb36d6bbf9e8d7e

It can't be Michael Madsen, Rockstar is now only hiring unknown cheap actors.

Edited by Good Hombre
  • Like 2

It would be better if this guy was a bit thinner like Martson. He looks like Mad Dog from BTTF 3.

The reason why they touch up screenshots is because still images are not a good representation of how a game will look in motion.

Fair point, i never really thought about that but it is true for most types of games (except for the ones with very limited amount of movements)

but we don't know if any of this has been touched up yet, do we? I can see current-gen getting close to that.

Edited by Versous

You make it sound like it's a bad thing,i mean gta iv/v and rdr had the best voice acting.

Hey do you guys think R* will ad this? It would be a pretty nice feature..

WxMEJG7.jpg

You make it sound like it's a bad thing,i mean gta iv/v and rdr had the best voice acting.

I'm not saying it's bad but I prefer GTA 3D era voice actors (Ray Liotta, Samuel L. Jackson, James Woods, etc).

• Like 1

the protagonist does seem to be based on michael madsen via the bulky frame

When Noclue posts I know it's most likely about The Benz. When greenrock comments it's most definitely about the protagonist :D

Edited by Rockstar Vienna
  • Like 2