3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RDR2 Screenshot Analysis Thread

greenrock

The guns in these screenshots look promising. I know it's just a game but in RDR1 the Peacemaker and Schofield should have been the guns we leveled up to. The Lemat should have been the starter pistol. Maybe this time they consulted a good armorer.

Edited by 1898

I learned my lesson while waiting for GTAV...

Graphics will be dumbed down, expect less grass, trees, etc.

:p

• Like 1

Maybe... just maybe... these are Pro/Scorpio screens, not PS4/X1?

Engines do improve as they're developed though, don't forget. Plus they're now working with next gen hardware, not dumbing down bits and bobs because the PS3 and Xbox 360 can't handle it.

• Like 3

Dee-account-with-1kbans

Engines do improve as they're developed though, don't forget. Plus they're now working with next gen hardware, not dumbing down bits and bobs because the PS3 and Xbox 360 can't handle it.

Doesnt mean they wont downgrade. These consoles arent really all that powerful. I can assure you the game wont look like the screens or the first trailer

so the big burly guy is protag?

We don't know but he's certainly getting the most of the limelight. Could be a decoy but I think not. I think Rockstar is slowly introducing us to our protag.

I have to say, I'm loving everything I'm seeing so far. I love the whole colour palette, the muddy browns, greens etc. The smoke and steam add such great atmosphere. And as others mentioned, those trees look amazing! Really, they're the trees we wanted in V. Where they tower above you and you feel small in comparison to them. The also offer a sort of protection.

g8GcA56.png

RE8NOx0.png

Tree's look simmilar to V's, only in RDR2 there is more variation and no palm trees because of location. V had forests like these but tree's had to be cut down due to last gen's limitations.

I don't really like the idea of multiple protag's. It's kinda nice for fun and gameplay elements but don't really get close to you. When you have a single protag, you develop a kind of connection with him/her and you feel that they are important. Having multiple one's feel a little bit less important.

I agree, although it would be possible to have other playable characters serve as extra insight into the narrative & world, whilst still being very much secondary to the main protagonist.

But who knows what R* are doing with this game. They could be doing something more radical, for example have the player able to issue tactical commands the gang.

I don't really like the idea of multiple protag's. It's kinda nice for fun and gameplay elements but don't really get close to you. When you have a single protag, you develop a kind of connection with him/her and you feel that they are important. Having multiple one's feel a little bit less important.

I agree, although it would be possible to have other playable characters serve as extra insight into the narrative & world, whilst still being very much secondary to the main protagonist.

But who knows what R* are doing with this game. They could be doing something more radical, for example have the player able to issue tactical commands the gang.

That would be more like Battlefield where you give targets to your squad. I wonder what they have in multiplayer for us. Something like "Red Dead Redemption Online" which would be similar to GTA Online.

Don't worry it's not gonna be that bad as Watch_Dogs downgrade. Furthermore GTA V was first built for Last-Gen consoles and you saw the improvement in the PC version.

Edited by Stellasin

Dee-account-with-1kbans

That would be more like Battlefield where you give targets to your squad. I wonder what they have in multiplayer for us. Something like "Red Dead Redemption Online" which would be similar to GTA Online.

Don't worry it's not gonna be that bad as Watch_Dogs downgrade. Furthermore GTA V was first built for Last-Gen consoles and you saw the improvement in the PC version.

but the screens were supposedly captured on xbox 360 and the xbox 360 version didnt look like that at all. ubisoft arent the only ones with that bad practice...

Edited by DeeDogg_

but the screens were supposedly captured on xbox 360 and the xbox 360 version didnt look like that at all. ubisoft arent the only ones with that bad practice...

Can you give an example?

Dee-account-with-1kbans

Can you give an example?

LDATRm0.jpg1375293223-4.png

• Like 1

They removed trees and they added depth of field to that image and changed lighting. That is an enhancement, but the graphics didn't really change. We all know they use fake lights and they add some effects, but that's it. Most screens are identical or almost identical to the final thing. Or uglier.

If anything, only the exaggerated smoke in the outlaw picture is fake, the rest is all plausible. Rockstar isn't Ubisoft.

Edited by Spider-Vice

Dee-account-with-1kbans

They removed trees and they added depth of field to that image and changed lighting. That is an enhancement, but the graphics didn't really change. We all know they use fake lights and they add some effects, but that's it. Most screens are identical or almost identical to the final thing. Or uglier.

If anything, only the exaggerated smoke in the outlaw picture is fake, the rest is all plausible. Rockstar isn't Ubisoft.

that still means we cant take these screens as how the actual game will look. and like i said earler, R* had its fair share of downgrades in the past. just not as bad as ubisofts.

also, that pic with trevor had more done to it than just "lighting touch ups"

theres no aliasing and the textures are of wayyy better quality

Edited by DeeDogg_

Yea lighting makes a MASSIVE difference with how good the game looks - go play around with the Editor and different times of day and it becomes quite evident. Particularly with close ups of characters, but also overall as well. Bright lighting (aka midday) shows up any and all flaws the visuals have, where as night time and sunrise/set look far better.

We're going to get what's in the screenshots. If they were bullshots, they'd have fixed the shadow issue in one of the screenshots, i.e. there's no horse shadow in the town pic. ;) They'd also have fixed some dithering that exists in the forest screenshot.

Edited by Spider-Vice
  • Like 4

I added some text to help people see what I'm seeing. I'm pretty confident this is what it says.

Original screenshot:

d0d67b9e853c2cebe6eb01a89cb524274fc949bc

Increased image size, turned up the contrast a bit, zoomed in:

xm1mQNT.png

I'm making an educated guess on what the small text on the sign says, based on what it says at the top.

Edited by JohnWeazel
  • Like 5

Official screenshots are something like a scripted part of a game. You can play most of the missions at any time and so you will have graphical differences. But still that valley part bothers me. The textures were so good on the official screenshot.

^he is holding the Colt Single Action (Peacemaker) Revolver. At least if I compare it to the one I own, it looks downright similar from the top.

So yes, at least 1873+

I think it might even be a mix of the Peacemaker & the Schofield - both of the same era, early 1870s

Check the hammer when it's cocked - the shape is much closer to that of the Peacemaker than the Schofield

Af3791q.jpg

RDR2

large-temp55d687b88ea2a.jpg

Peacemaker

However the Peacemaker doesn't have the circular section in front of the chamber like the Schofield...

u4bxVNN.jpg

RDR2

H1193-L95547627.jpg

Schofield

1. The "close up dual revolvers" are obviously S & W Schofields/Model No.3´s. Here´s a pic of a cocked Smith & Wesson Schofield, look at the hammer:

US-Pistol-Smith-and-Wesson-No3-Schofield

2. The man is holding a Colt Peacmaker in his RIGHT hand and a Smith & Wesson Schofield /Model No. 3 in his LEFT hand. A Schofield from above for comparison (the Colt Peacemaker has this unmistakably ejector part on the side of the barrel which you can see in his right hand on the screenshot):

DSC_0033__59401.JPG

• Like 1

so if thats the new protagonist, the big burly guy

what race do you guys think he is

white?

half white/half native?

so if thats the new protagonist, the big burly guy

what race do you guys think he is

white?

half white/half native?

His skin looks like he is a white guy. I'm not sure though

A thing to note apart from the obvious (RDR2 being made for the current consoles) is that RDR2 isn't a game that has huge urban environments or cars driving about. Urban environments are pretty massive frame rate killers, and having loads of cars about also takes up resources as you would expect. RDR2 will not have these problems so comparing RDR2 forests to GTA V's is preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty pointless. They can fill them in a lot more with more trees, foliage, etc.

We can't obviously say for sure if there will be a downgrade or not and there might end up being, but from the screenshots so far nothing in them screams impossible to me. Horizon: Zero Dawn on the standard PS4 is just about the best looking game I've ever played and I game on a high end PC too, it's got a massive lush forest area in it as well.

• Like 3

I hope this game has some good animations like Uncharted 4.

• Like 1

There is nothing unbelievable in RDR 2 screenshots,they don't even look much different than the trailer.

Can you give an example?

They did downgrade, no doubt, but that shot of Trevor that gets posted a lot is basically the least flattering screenshot that exists. Looks much better in nearly every situation in-game on PS3/360.

It'll be interesting to see how RDR2 turns out.

They have PS4/XB1 toolkit experience from GTA V and PS4 Pro and Scorpio provide additional power.

Can you give an example?

They did downgrade, no doubt, but that shot of Trevor that gets posted a lot is basically the least flattering screenshot that exists. Looks much better in nearly every situation in-game on PS3/360.

It'll be interesting to see how RDR2 turns out.

They have PS4/XB1 toolkit experience from GTA V and PS4 Pro and Scorpio provide additional power.

But the game came out exactly like last trailers revealed.

I'll bet the game ships looking damn good. A new bar for open world games.

But it'll have decreased draw distance, less environmental fx, and far fewer advance lighting effect than we end up seeing in the next trailer.

Edited by wagszilla

There is nothing unbelievable in RDR 2 screenshots,they don't even look much different than the trailer.

Except the picture with masked dude holding two guns,this one seems pretty fake.

Edited by otachi