2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Rich.

Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed to Spring 2018

Spider-Vice

This isn't RAGE 2.0 either, more like RAGE 4.0.

assCRACK_98

This isn't RAGE 2.0 either, more like RAGE 4.0.

I dunno it looks kind of similar to V's.

YouAreWrong

Yeah,i was a bit (dissapointed?) surprised at how much the game trailer reminded me of GTA V.Maybe too much?

TheOriginalGunslinger

Edit: RAGE 2.0 is looking sweet. And oh RDR2 will be their first game on this generation of consoles just like how GTA IV was to the last generation maybe that the reason for delay into 2018 [10 years after IV's release].

I thought Rockstar Table Tennis was their FIRST game last generation with RAGE? I forgot tbh lol

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

DisCrafted

Edit: RAGE 2.0 is looking sweet. And oh RDR2 will be their first game on this generation of consoles just like how GTA IV was to the last generation maybe that the reason for delay into 2018 [10 years after IV's release].

I thought Rockstar Table Tennis was their FIRST game last generation with RAGE? I forgot tbh lol

It was! The reason TT existed in the first place was that so they could test RAGE.

Jason

Yea we have absolutely no idea what version RAGE is at these days, and it's probably meaningless anyway as it's not a publicly usable engine which have version numbers to denote feature updates, significant fixes etc. I bet if you ask a San Diego dev they wouldn't know.

Jestic

Here's the list I got from Ash:

RAGE ERB1
- Rockstar Presents Table Tennis
RAGE ERB2
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Midnight Club LA
- Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Split off build from RAGE ERB2
- Red Dead Redemption
RAGE ERB3
- Max Payne 3
- Grand Theft Auto V/Online
(ERB is presumebly 'Engine Release Build')
So RDR2 could indeed be RAGE ERB4

Spider-Vice

That was my baseline indeed.

Jason

God, I remember seeing that list years ago. Getting forgetful in my old age I tell ya.

I'd be curious to know how RAGE is developed alongside games, do the RAGE team work on it constantly and the dev teams pluck what ever the latest is and work on it from there, of if they build them alongside the games as the devs need support for the new features they want.

BLOOD

Wikipedia needs to read this page, the RAGE page is not up to date even as a wikipedian i could bother since they want citations not on Forums [if i remember clearly].

Edit: Nice one Ash and Jestic.

Edited by BLOOD

Spider-Vice

In fact, GTA V NG is likely ERB4 already, or some kind of early version of it. The "GTA V" trees we see in the RDR2 trailer? Somehow I'm more inclined to think we're seeing RDR2 trees in V NG. ;) After all RDR2 is in development for longer than V NG.

Dee.

In fact, GTA V NG is likely ERB4 already, or some kind of early version of it. The "GTA V" trees we see in the RDR2 trailer? Somehow I'm more inclined to think we're seeing RDR2 trees in V NG. ;) After all RDR2 is in development for longer than V NG.

..thats not good if RDr2 is using GTAV NG's engine. Lets hope its heavily HEAVILY modified

Spider-Vice

Erm... I hope you realise that when games use the same engine, a new version is always based on the previous. The V NG version would be an early RDR2 version, and obviously tailored for GTA instead...

Jestic

..thats not good if RDr2 is using GTAV NG's engine. Lets hope its heavily HEAVILY modified

What do you have against the NG version of the engine? RAGE has been rock solid since Max Payne 3, before that, well, that's another story:P

Dee.

What do you have against the NG version of the engine? RAGE has been rock solid since Max Payne 3, before that, well, that's another story:P

Im not a coder or computer geek or anything but doesnt a game engine store AI, animations, and physics? GTAV was pretty week in the former and ladder. How will RDR1's euphoria be implemented into this game? Sorry if thats a stupid question

TheOriginalGunslinger

I was just playing some Max Payne 3 earlier today. So underrated but a great game in my opinion. Sorry if this is off-topic but Max Payne 3 was pretty badass.

KY Jello

I wonder how much space and memory RDR2 will take up on my PS4

Rafae

I wonder how much space and memory RDR2 will take up on my PS4

Probably around 80/90 gigs

Spider-Vice

Even if RDR2 is more detailed, a game like GTA V will always be larger. Given we will have improvements however, and possibly in audio too, I'm betting RDR2 is going to be 60/65 GB. (GTA V is 49 on the PS4, 50s with updates)

Rockstar Vienna

The landscape in Red Dead will be pretty simplistic compared to GTA V. No big city, no cars, not many buildings or NPCs etc. It's a new game so the file size of texture, video or audio files for example - like Spider said, will be bigger. Nevertheless I think the base game will fit on a Blu-Ray. Around 45GB is my guess. Man I wish we would already be at that point were we have to think about the hard drive space on our consoles.

Jason

Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong, but the file size on the Blu-Ray disc doesn't mean that's how big the install will be, as the game can uncompress certain files as it installs meaning it can end up 60gb+. The file size of games has long been above what conventional media stores, it's just all compressed in some way to fit it on the discs. Audio is a major and very noticeable one for this, GTA IV and V in particular had some very compressed audio on 360 (which still used DVD) - I remember the difference in sound quality on the radio between 360 and PC being surprisingly massive when I played it back in the day.

Sensei ‎

Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong, but the file size on the Blu-Ray disc doesn't mean that's how big the install will be, as the game can uncompress certain files as it installs meaning it can end up 60gb+. The file size of games has long been above what conventional media stores, it's just all compressed in some way to fit it on the discs. Audio is a major and very noticeable one for this, GTA IV and V in particular had some very compressed audio on 360 (which still used DVD) - I remember the difference in sound quality on the radio between 360 and PC being surprisingly massive when I played it back in the day.

They could still use triple layered Blu-Ray discs which can store up to 100GB but that would drastically increase manufacturing costs hence ripping down the games to 50GB, that way they can fit a double layered Blu-Ray disc. Also, I remember reading somewhere that the PS4 BD drive doesn't support triple layered Blu-Ray discs so I think that might be the actual reason for not using those currently.

Edited by SenseiAboobz

~INDIO~

Please god don't have the same physics as V!

They sucked big time compared to RDR. Still cant believe how much of a step back they were

KY Jello

Guns better feel like guns

Dee.

no excuse for gimped physics and ai in this game now. its current gen and theres no cars or towering skyscrapers and no dozens of peds on screen

D T

Someone here mentioned they found a way to modify V's euphoria behavior on XB360 and it didn't decrease performance at all. I'm thinking the toned down physics had more to do with netcoding for GTA Online. Since euphoria is done purely clientside, there's no way for Player 2 to determine exactly where Player 1's ragdolls landed. When you just simplify euphoria's behavior, it becomes far more likely they'll land in similar spots on both machines. In IV, it wasn't uncommon for you to see online players fall to the right of your screen, only to see them suddenly appear to your left when they get back up.

Edited by Deadly Target

shadyslady

Did anyone expect this really to launch this Fall? I new the delay was inevitable. Not surprised in the least.

Agreed. Screens look sweet.

As for rockstar's reasons/excuses:

They only drop a game when it's ready?

Lol! Ain't gonna go into details how screwed gta 5 is.

It's a good game still.

Thankfully I ain't looking forward to gta 6 or rdr 2. I will play them but this delay isn't touching me.

The gta 5 delay was something else.

I was really pissed. And the end product wasn't worth the wait. The ps3 version. Ps4 was good.

anthony

Someone here mentioned they found a way to modify V's euphoria behavior on XB360 and it didn't decrease performance at all. I'm thinking the toned down physics had more to do with netcoding for GTA Online. Since euphoria is done purely clientside, there's no way for Player 2 to determine exactly where Player 1's ragdolls landed. When you just simplify euphoria's behavior, it becomes far more likely they'll land in similar spots on both machines. In IV, it wasn't uncommon for you to see online players fall to the right of your screen, only to see them suddenly appear to your left when they get back up.

I think I spoke about that in this section, not sure if it was here though. It's a PC mod that work perfectly on xbox 360, as I played some time on PC with this mod too. And yeah, I don't have FPS issues or any issues at all. So, YES there is no excuses.

Anyways,

I think the purpose of the delay for Red Dead Redemption 2 is to make sure that we deliver the most extraordinary experience that we’re capable of providing.

We haven’t run into particular issues, we’re building a new game from the ground up for the first time for new-generation consoles, and the pressure that we put on ourselves to deliver excellence to the consumers is extraordinary. And we want to make sure that the appropriate time is taken to deliver the best game that we can, and I think that’s what consumers expect of Rockstar Games, and that’s what Rockstar Games typically delivers.
So we support emphatically the label’s decision, and we’re utterly confident that it’ll prove in time to be wise, first and foremost creatively and artistically, and economically as well.

https://www.rdr2.com/news/red-dead-redemption-2-coming-fiscal-2019-take-two-confident/

Edited by anthony

Corndawg93

I really hope that Red Dead being delayed is because they need time to polish the game and not because GTAOnline is still bringing in the big $$$$$$$$$$ so let's delay it until the GTAOnline cash cow is milked dry.

Ditching the Single Player DLC for $$$$$$$$$ from Online is one thing but if you do that to RDR 2, people won't be happy

Edited by Corndawg93

BUT THE BENZ

I really hope that Red Dead being delayed is because they need time to polish the game and not because GTAOnline is still bringing in the big $$$$$$$$$$ so let's delay it until the GTAOnline cash cow is milked dry.

Ditching the Single Player DLC for $$$$$$$$$ from Online is one thing but if you do that to RDR 2, people won't be happy

the delay is caused by the benz' lawsuit against R*