Can someone recommend games set in Latin America

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Β 

Β 

Β 

which are not about Americans shooting up the place

Oh. Nevermind then. That's literally exactly what it's about. :lol:

• Like 1

Yea. Furthermore I was kinda hoping for stuff that use the setting effectively, not just as a backdrop or a temporary place for one mission or so.

Β 

Kinda like the examples I listed: Papo & Yo, Sleeping Dogs, 1979: The Revolution, or the first Assassin's Creed.

Β 

I was really looking forward to Whore of the Orient that was being developed by Team Bondi (of the LA Noire fame) but as we know, that didn't go anywhere. Shame.

Β 

It's weird that developers use these settings so little. I mean, the Uncharted or Tomb Raider games wouldn't be as good without all that beautiful and exotic (to us anyway) scenery; the only good thing about Max Payne 3 was the setting (I'd so much love a GTA set in that place instead of what we got) and when such locales are used even for a mission or 2 in the usual 'America f*ck yea' games, they often tend to be the highlights of level design.

Β 

Why then are so few games completely based in these settings? Shame.

Β 

Anyway, I'm surely gonna check out Stranglehold and I may need to dip into some point and clicks it seems. Just discovered Lost Horizon, need to check that out too.

• Like 1

Yeah I had a look around and it is a shame there aren't more. That's why I'm hoping for a new city in GTA, not just re-using the same cities. I want a fresh experience. Take me somewhere new.

• Like 2

Tell me about it. I still think a GTA-like game would be amazing in New Delhi in the 40's or 50's. Or Cairo in an even earlier era (or whenever there was enough cars out there).

Β 

I've played Saboteur recently (from GOG) after quite a few recommendations and the setting and era really made for a completely different experience. Sadly it went underappreciated by everyone when it came out for some reason. Either way, setting such a game in a completely different environment, with an appropriate storyline and characters - I want that. But of course the fanboys will cry foul if the next GTA won't be set in Vice City, not to mention somewhere outside current-day US.

Β 

BTW I just remembered Total Overdose. It's set in Mexico and is absolutely, completely hilarious. Tho I'm not sure if it even conforms to my criteria since the main character is a twin of a DEA agent :dozing: Regardless it's still not the kind of game I was thinking anyway.

Edited by RogerWho
  • Like 2

Anybody remembers xbox magazines that used to give the demos ? So around 2009 i got a demo disc and there was this game , a first person shooter. And it let you slow down time and stuff , manipulate time amd stuff like that.

DieselFuelOnly

Anybody remembers xbox magazines that used to give the demos ? So around 2009 i got a demo disc and there was this game , a first person shooter. And it let you slow down time and stuff , manipulate time amd stuff like that.

Was it Timeshift?

official-xbox-360-magazine-demo-disc-77-

timeshift.jpg

Β 

• 2 weeks later...

Kane & Lynch (Havana & Tokyo)

Americans shooting up the place" - you meant military shooters? Anyway some non-military:

Kane & Lynch 2 (Shanghai)

Mercenaries 2 (Venezuela)

Kane & Lynch 1 non-military? Later on in the game, Kane & Lynch are practically in military gear with their own squads raiding heavily defended positions guarded by tanks, helicopters and mounted machine guns! That's some heavy military type sh*t. Plus, they're americans always going into heavy firefights.

Edited by B Dawg
  • Like 1

Well K&L was cool regardless, but my point was to look for games that are at least somewhat culturally sensitive, where the environment is used as an actual place and not just as an exotic backdrop for the wacky shenanigans.

Β 

Max Payne 3 was sh*t. If I had a time machine, I'd go and erase that garbage from history. Who cares about Hitler.

Leftist Bastard

Well K&L was cool regardless, but my point was to look for games that are at least somewhat culturally sensitive, where the environment is used as an actual place and not just as an exotic backdrop for the wacky shenanigans.

Β 

Max Payne 3 was sh*t. If I had a time machine, I'd go and erase that garbage from history. Who cares about Hitler.

MP3 is the best game in the franchise and this is coming from someone who beat the previous games 3 times each.

Edited by Leftist Bastard
  • Like 1

Max Payne 3 is, in my opinion, the best TPS ever made when it comes to gunplay, mechanics, challenge, animations, and smoothness - it feels so natural. A very underrated game for what it is. There are a couple of things that annoy me here and there, like the fact that Max Payne changes weapon after every cutscene, but besides a couple of tiny annoyances, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

• Like 3

xe3hUFK.png

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a game like these socom navy seals games back on the ps2.

I only played the first couple, this is ten years ago.

Β 

Now there are tons of shooters and army games.

Can someone please recommend me a game that's like a third person shooter, perhaps with the option of silent approach?

Something like a assassin's creed, with guns?

Β 

Can someone please recommend me a game that's like a third person shooter, perhaps with the option of silent approach?

Look into operation flashpoint. Or even ghost recon wildlands.You can order your squad around and stuff like the old navy seals game.

Β 

@dieselfuelonly that was the game i was talking about, great memory lol thanks!

Edited by Oldsport

What are some of the better RPG based games for the PS2? Nothing science fiction but preferably fantasy.

Fuzzknuckles

Need help remembering an old PC Engine game.

Β 

Mid 90s, side-scrolling adventure/platformer thing. The thing I remember most of all was a set of bonus levels where you're riding on a rollercoaster cart and you have to jump between them or you get knocked off. I think on the first there was two carts, on the next there was three. Something to do with dragons maybe?

Β 

HALP PLZ.

Signatures are dumb anyway.

Need help remembering an old PC Engine game.

Β 

Mid 90s, side-scrolling adventure/platformer thing. The thing I remember most of all was a set of bonus levels where you're riding on a rollercoaster cart and you have to jump between them or you get knocked off. I think on the first there was two carts, on the next there was three. Something to do with dragons maybe?

Β 

HALP PLZ.

was it spyro ?

Fuzzknuckles

Nope. That was never on PC Engine. Spyro was also 3D. And not side-scrolling. But you got the dragon bit right.

Nope. That was never on PC Engine. Spyro was also 3D. And not side-scrolling. But you got the dragon bit right.

Possibly Wonder Boy III?

Mister Pink

Β 

Β 

Yeah, I would try Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

LongHairedFreakyGuy

Right, so every now and then this game keeps popping up in my head, and no matter how much I search for it, I can't for the life of me find out what the game was, probably more so because I just have no idea what to Google to narrow down the results.

Β 

Anyway, all I know is it was on a PSX demo disc that I had as a kid, you know, one of the free discs you got with the magazines. Anyway, the 'game' (not sure if the game got a release or not) was, to put it as best as possible, 2 teams of 'robots' playing some form of arena based game, with me leaning towards it was some type of handball type game...and all else I really can remember is that you were able to attack the opposition in some way or other.

Β 

sh*t description I know, but meh, a forum full of gamers surely has to be better than randomly Googling key words...

• Like 1

KilnerLUFC.gif

Mister Pink

Β 

Anyway, all I know is it was on a PSX demo disc that I had as a kid, you know, one of the free discs you got with the magazines. Anyway, the 'game' (not sure if the game got a release or not) was, to put it as best as possible, 2 teams of 'robots' playing some form of arena based game, with me leaning towards it was some type of handball type game...and all else I really can remember is that you were able to attack the opposition in some way or other.

Β 

Β 

Are you sure it wasn't Speedball? Used to love that game on the Mega Drive

Β 

Β 

Β 

I think it was out on PS too.

Β 

Β 

Edited by Mister Pink
  • Like 1

The_B1u3_Jay

The only Resident Evil game I've played through all the way is RE4 and i loved that game. I just got RE7 for free with my XB1 S, and from the hour that ive played, i think this one is pretty good too.

Β 

I found RE1 Remastered with RE0 on sale on the marketplace. Ive never played these games before. My question is as a RE4 type of fan, would you recommend i still purchase the RE1 and RE0 games? How do they compare and how do they hold up after all these years?

LongHairedFreakyGuy

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Are you sure it wasn't Speedball? Used to love that game on the Mega Drive

Β 

<snip>

Β 

I think it was out on PS too.

Β 

<snip>

Β 

Β 

Not sure if the games are related in any way at all, but I actually managed to find it after scouring the internet; The game was Dead Ball Zone, and whilst very similiar to the one you mentioned, it seemed to focus more on the weapons and brutal takedowns.

Β 

Appreciate it though.

Β 

If only demo discs weren'c classed as a rarity and quite pricey I'd love to pick them all up, including the PS2 ones too...You know, nostalgia and all that...

Β 

Β 

@Awesom-0 - I recently wanted to do a playthrough of the RE titles too, and after scouring the net, and doing some playing myself, a lot of people are in the same boat of saying that if RE4 was your first title then it's probably best you don't go back to the originals; Mainly the control system being the hinderance. I found RE1 to be quite hard to get into after playing so much of RE4, but I'm personally wanting to get through the games more for completion etc rather than just story itself so stuck with it tbh...

• Like 1

KilnerLUFC.gif

Fuzzknuckles

Β 

Possibly Wonder Boy III?

Β 

Nah, definitely wasn't a Wonder Boy game. This has been driving me crazy for nearly ten years. A friend of mine had a copy of it, that's obviously how I played it, and even he doesn't remember what it was called.

Can anyone recommend more games like The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter?
I recently played through Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (it was a ps+ freebie some time ago) and I liked it very much. Then I played Dear Esther: Landmark Edition and lastly The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter.
The way the games tell the story is amazing, plus the visuals are gorgeous in all three games. And the music
Highly recommended to try out all three games if you can.

I tried out and played Kona when it was released couple weeks ago, but I didn't really like it that much. The ending was kind of dull and weird, but otherwise story telling was pretty similar to the other games mentioned above.

KratosDrake

Hey, i wanted to remember two games, both browser ones:

1) There was this administration game where you controlled some survivors as they struggled to fight against a zombie apocalypse. Multiple endings to be found. You could change the survivor's names, change their weapons, train them on some particular skills, have them build fences around a building to make it part of the fort.

2) Another zombie game, but this was a RPG one by Armor Games or something where you could control a customizable character and explore houses to find items, could recruit new characters, could level up...

Β 

I know the descriptions are probably garbage, but that is the best you're gonna get from my forgettable mind.

I could use some car cruising game. Something like the truck simulator series (or at least what people enjoy in them) but with regular cars. Also with the option to drive fast enough. Is there anything? Or just get a truck sim and some mods for that?

Β 

Can anyone recommend more games like The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter?

It's hard to say what exactly you're looking for - if it's the 'first person walking sim with little to no gameplay', the particular way games like these tell a story or just a well told (possibly emotional) story in general.

Β 

I'm not one for walking sims but if you can stomach some gameplay/interactivity, I'd look into some Telltale games (I recommend The Wolf Among Us, but The Walking Dead is generally better known), Life is Strange (duh), then there's Murdered: Souls Suspect with a tad more gameplay, on PS3/PS4 there are Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls (both amazing if you ask me though especially the latter is one is quite unpopular). Brothers: The tale of two sons is amazing though it's a more traditional game (albeit still very unique) compared to the rest of these.

Β 

There's a walking sim called Silence on GOG which I've not had a chance to try yet, but there's a demo so one day I will.

Β 

Some people enjoy Virginia but in my opinion it's bonkers, in fact I asked for a refund even after 'completing' it because I felt the advertisements for it were a lie (I don't do this normally).

Edited by RogerWho

I miss the days of Tekken 2 and Virtua Fighter 2 :(

Β 

f*ck responsibilities.

Mister Pink

I could use some car cruising game. Something like the truck simulator series (or at least what people enjoy in them) but with regular cars. Also with the option to drive fast enough. Is there anything? Or just get a truck sim and some mods for that?

Β 

I'm not familiar with any car game like that. However, I will recommend The Crew. I first played it and thought it was mediocre. I hated the first car they gave me and thought the graphics were poor even for a non-graphics whore like me. I put it down for months. But then I picked it up again and completed a few story missions, enough to buy a car I liked which was a Nissan Skyline. I love that car.

Β 

Now, one of the main things I love about The Crew is the cruisin.' It's so much fun, trust me. I did a L.A to New York cruise, taking in all the scenery, enjoying first-person driving as well as third-person, travelling through towns and passing farms. It's great.

Β 

Some of the more open motorways/freeways give you high-speed intense thrills. Here's a clip I made doing just that.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Here's another vid someone else made. You can see cockpit view and they're driving a car you may see on the street and not just lambo's.

Β 

Β 

Edited by Mister Pink

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.