1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Beta 4.0

spaceeinstein

Craig Kostelecky

To quote the Macklemore song, "this is f*cking awesome."

CLEO is supported in theory, but conflicts certainly can arise more than they would in Vice City. 

On 6/26/2019 at 12:28 AM, Maverick512 said:
They work so hard just to see Motorcycles in GTA III :v

Nah it's more than that. So many have contributed to, learned from and had fun playing this mod over the years. A legacy of GTA modding knowledge encapsulated into a single mod.

Edit:

Frustration after frustration. Trails are broken. For some reason Kuruma has hydraulics and when low causes a force underneath the car flipping it. Issue with the scaling of the non-cutscene heads. Some cutscene heads aren't loading in. The causes are unknown, all I've done is add a couple of opcodes and the cutscene head code, I haven't modified anything else in dinput8 yet these breakages are happening. Who knows, I'm too irritated to work on it just now.

Edited by ModelingMan
Save double post
  • Like 9
On 6/27/2019 at 5:03 AM, ModelingMan said:

Nah it's more than that. So many have contributed to, learned from and had fun playing this mod over the years. A legacy of GTA modding knowledge encapsulated into a single mod.

Edit:

Frustration after frustration. Trails are broken. For some reason Kuruma has hydraulics and when low causes a force underneath the car flipping it. Issue with the scaling of the non-cutscene heads. Some cutscene heads aren't loading in. The causes are unknown, all I've done is add a couple of opcodes and the cutscene head code, I haven't modified anything else in dinput8 yet these breakages are happening. Who knows, I'm too irritated to work on it just now.

Hey MM, you can share with the group what you have anyway and together we will manage to find a root cause. 

• Like 1

I was in a particularly stinker of a mood earlier in the week, letting frustration get the better of me.

Most recent code has been committed to the below repo. I've yet to write up an explanation for the cutscene heads, but you can of course tell which source files are relevant based on the last commit.

https://github.com/ModelingMan/gtalc-dinput8

I had a look at some projects on Github relating to VC, none appeared to build a virtual table for classes such as CEntity, this included the current build of dinput8. Implementing the same virtual table as VC enables us to create our own sub-classes based on CEntity or any of it's derivatives, which is exactly what CCutsceneHeadHack is.

What we can do is declare the virtual functions in the same order as they are in VC:

CEntity-vtable.png

Like so (from gtalc-dinput8/vcclasses/include/vcclasses.h) :

CEntity-declare.png%22

Each of those functions (with the exception of the constructor and destructor) are defined as simple jumps (gtalc-dinput8/vcclasses/src/CEntity.cpp) :

CEntity-define.png

The MSVCPP compiler will not allow a constructor or destructor to be declared with __declspec(naked), therefore we cannot define the CEntity constructor with a jump in a C/C++ source file, however this can be worked around by declaring the function in assembly with the mangled name of CEntity::CEntity and using the global variables in the above screenshot from CEntity.cpp, g_CEntity_Constructor/Destructor (you'll notice these are declared below as external with the mangled names of these variables). The compiler will then resolve the CEntiy constructor and destructor by linking to these assembly functions (gtalc-dinput8/vcclasses/Constructors.asm) :

CEntity-asm.png

The CCutsceneHeadHack class which I've implemented into dinput8 is derived like so: CEntity -> CPhysical -> CObject -> CCutsceneObject -> CCutsceneHeadHack. As it derives from CObject, when we do "CCutsceneHeadHack *head = new CCCutsceneHeadHack(body);" this will call VC's CObject::operator new, which will pass back a pointer to the first free memory block in the CObject pool, which will then be passed to our CCutsceneHeadHack constructor as expected. By calling CWorld::Add(head) we add our cutscene head to the list of the game's active objects, including it in the ProcessControl, PreRender and Render loops. We also add it to the list of current cutscene objects, which, when the cutscene is complete, will allow the game to destruct and delete our cutscene head for us due to our CCutsceneHead destructor being included on the virtual table at offset 8 just as the game expects. (gtalc-dinput8/dinput8/src/CCutsceneMgrHack.cpp) :

CCutscene-Mgr-Hack.png

The above method allows us to implement our own entity types in the cleanest way possible, in my opinion.

Edited by ModelingMan
  • 4 weeks later...
OfficialLawGuyUK

So is this mod ever going to get an update with the cutscene heads, or any bug fixes etc.?

Btw, this mod is literally the most complete TC i've ever seen ever. Just had to do it to em.

There's a chance for final version of this mod? Also what you think about putting files like re:lcs (modded vc) without audio folder of course. 

Edited by Whitie
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit off-topic but I didn't really see it coming (ModellingMan return after so long). Always happy to see an old timer return. Glad to see that some progression's being made on the CSHeads.

• 2 weeks later...

Development from myself has slowed down. I'm now in a position where I need a new device to carry out work. This need will be resolved once I can finance it, hoping that will be soon.

It's amazing how much one's mindset changes over time. The past decade for me has involved a lot of "partying" to the extent it became a lifestyle which has halted my progression, or worse yet set me back a considerable amount of time, however no regrets as I am me because of that time. This mod is serving as a key to unlock the door which I barricaded long ago; a means of getting back into the game I was once in.

Keep rising to the top!

As always, I like your outlook on life. You lived the life you needed to live then and this can bring you back to where you need to be. I know when I had my last burst of activity (which I think was 2010-2011) it was at a time when I needed this to focus on so I could enjoy my life for a while. And it did help me as I solved some problems that I was unable to years prior. Sadly I think I did all I was able to do (without completely learning some new skills) so I'm just around as a legacy/historical leader. I'm hoping when everything is good to go, that someone can assist in packaging everything together into one simple, complete installer that is very easy to use (and perhaps includes all of the audio the user will need). 

It has been amazing to see this get so close to completion. 

Thank you all.

It's interesting to see how far things have come. I have been following this CMP (GTA:LC) for the last 9 years on the forums. Right from the Beta-2 Version 7 Test 5 to what we have right now (a near perfect release). A lot of things have been added, removed and replaced. Some of them were overhauled while others were downright integrated into something else. Lots of code changes, lib redundancies (loads of unwanted code from Hammer83's old launcher) and things I never thought would be possible on the mod when playing the earlier builds (who else remembers the broken code from Sayonara Salvatore).

The belief that "something wonderful is about to happen" has always provided a much needed boost and burst of activity at the same time (people bringing in old mods, converting obsolete ones to be compatible with the new builds, space surprising us with new work, Silent coming up his ub3r wizardry skills).

I think I speak for everyone who has kept up with the project the whole time, we are just proud to be the ones who were able to witness this project grow into what it is today. And nothing can replace that satisfaction and fuzzy warm feeling inside. :D

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 4
On 9/9/2019 at 5:17 PM, KlapKlaps said:

You know i want to send you guys a video with a bug.How and where i can send the video?

Upload it to youtube and post the link here.

On 4/12/2019 at 5:55 AM, spaceeinstein said:

Hey everyone, sorry for the long hiatus. Someone recently notified me about someone stealing my MiniConsole mod so I decided to stop by and check out the forums. It looks like GTAModding.com is back up after all, though I dislike the rebranding of the website. The forum upgrade breaking so many posts and the long downtime of GTAModding.com had been really discouraging and made me lose motivation from modding and research. Currently all my free time is taken up by another hobby I found after that so it might be a while before I find the time and motivation to come back to the GTA scene. Thanks everyone for keeping an interest in this project and continuing to contribute to it. Someday it will be complete.

So called 'social' is an opposite to progression. Every site wants to be facebook like and it usually ends bad.

I usually lose motivation to do anything because of cancerous people who disrespect me for no reason, (job).

Edited by HackMan128
On 9/8/2019 at 6:59 PM, HackMan128 said:

Some modification I made for the TC

This is awesome. I personally think this all could be in the official version. Any objections?

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Craig Kostelecky said:

This is awesome. I personally think this all could be in the official version. Any objections?

These safehouses could be handed as additional rewards at certain points of completion in-game or just as 100% completion rewards. Personally, I would love to have these interiors from Hackman's mod in the next standard release.

Edited by Jimmy

What has, or could to be fixed is the way how the backface culling is handled.

Because by default GTA III has backface on anything, so the lc_drawbackfaces.ini should define exceptions.

Edited by HackMan128

I try to play a new game and there is an error similar to an uncontrolled exception that says that gta vc 1.0 tries to decipher with version 1.0 us of gta vc and it is impossible not to allow myself to start a new game I tried to install it normally with a pirated version of gta vc without mods and I don't have the gta vc steam version

please fix gta vc exe 1.0 us 

GTA LC needs actually few files and folders from GTA Vice City and III + Audio

from GTA Vice City:
-gta-vc.exe

+AUDIO
 -ambsil.mp3
 - *SFX.RAW
 - *SFX.SDT

-MSS
+MODELS
 +COLL
  -peds.col
  -weapons.col
 +GENERIC
  -zonecylb.dff

from GTA III:
-AUDIO
-MOVIES
-SKINS

Copy what is with -

Create such completion and use the LC setup.

Edited by HackMan128

I would actually prefer our "final" release to have every single file included on it that you'd need to go from VC to LC. So if we can, I'd like to have all of the III files included so everyone's setup is guaranteed to be the same. 

• Like 2

The beta 4.0 setup container:

qfDYM3H.jpg

@Craig Kostelecky

Why you guys didn't include these few files as ambsil.mp3, peds.col, weapons.col, zonecyclb.dff and MSS folder? The need of a Vice City copy wouldn't be even needed then, except the exe.

It would be even more sensible to install it over GTA III game than VC, then in the last setup step, a path to the gta-vc.exe so it would copy it.

I remember I had many problems and crashes after installing the 4.0 so I decided to do a little checkup what is missing.

Edited by HackMan128
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been out of the game for way too long, but I am open to any ideas on how to make the installer and overall mod better. Real life has definitely taken its toll on me and I think I've forgotten more about this mod that I ever did. :)

So if anyone wants to "take the ball" and run with it, they would have my blessing to package all of this up in the best way possible. 

Were ModelingMan's cutscene heads finished? I know there was a big update recently, but I didn't have time to test any of it. 

• Like 1

Real life certainly throws all sorts in all directions. Thrown in the deep end, sink or swim. Curve balls in all directions, just need to hit them out the park!

So someone at work kindly donated a laptop to me. It's a bribe though, they want me to start working on a system that would make us lesser spreadsheet jockeys!

The current state of the cutscene heads hack is not near acceptable yet. The timing of the animations are off, which is strange as the same animation timer was used that was used the first time the hack was implemented. The main part of the hack is in at least, just needs some tweaking.

Development from my end can now continue. I'll be here in the space 👍

• Like 6
On 9/14/2019 at 4:41 AM, Craig Kostelecky said:

+1, FWIW. We should merge it with the official codebase. Is this also migrated to a Git repo, similar to the dinput8.dll, or still all manual / Dropbox? Should it?

As for the installer, what prerequisites should we require from users? gta-vc.exe only, while everything else is supplied by the installer package?

That would make it easiest to package for us, users would still need to pick two directories during install ("where does your current VC install live?" and "where do you want your shiny new LC install to live?")