3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
goodidea82

https instead of http

goodidea82

Connecting to this site is not safe because the site does not use the secure socket layer (ssl, https). The consequence is that passwords may be stolen, there can be a man in the middle attack, ect. Please introduce https.

Vanzant

Updated forum security is something the Staff is working on in the next forum upgrade.

Syping

The staff should might check out Let's Encrypt, very easy to setup at most systems.

Richard Power Colt
Posted (edited)

Updated forum security is something the Staff is working on in the next forum upgrade.

Is that forum upgrade still underway? I just had to re-login to this website which got me a little worried. GTAForums being a fairly popular website, I feel like this kind of thing should be pretty important.

Edited by Richard Power Colt

Vanzant

Yeah it's still underway.

Kerimbjk
Posted (edited)

Is that forum upgrade still underway? I just had to re-login to this website which got me a little worried. GTAForums being a fairly popular website, I feel like this kind of thing should be pretty important.

I heard it was part of the Coming soon™ update.

Come on guys, you should definitely build a team who just works on the technical part of the forum.

Anyway, if you haven't heard of it already; Google is going to label HTTP websites as Not secure in their browser in Chrome update 68 which will be released in July 2018. More about this subject is written in this article (02 February 2018).

Google says there has been a lot of progress when it comes to getting developers to switch their sites to the more secure HTTPS. Now, over 68 percent of Chrome traffic on Android and Windows is protected while over 78 percent is protected on Chrome OS and Mac.

Yeah there's definitely a lot of progress since Google made the announcement about the Not secure label, but GTAForums is still teasing everyone with the Coming soon™ update, which will also use the newest IPS version.

I'm just saying, once Google roles Chrome 68 out part of your new visitors won't sign in thanks to that label and maybe a part of your community won't ever sign in again.

Now you may be asking, Kerimbjk why do you care so much about this extra letter s in the address bar? Well that extra letter s prevents Man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack.

What's MITM?

I'll explain it with an example. Let's say you're at school, you're connected to the school's wifi network and you just want to look at people's posts from the "GTA Online Screenshots: Show Your Character" thread in the GTA Online section, so you first sign in and check out the thread.

During this process, someone else who's also using the same network as you already knows your account details (username and password), which websites and pages you're visiting and also which images were displayed on your screen. So basically, the guy knows you have an account on GTAForums and looked at people's characters in the "GTA Online Screenshots: Show Your Character" thread.

So my suggestion is, build a team who just works on the technical part of the forum and let them update the forum every time while the staff can keep on doing their own job.

PS: Staff, if you complete the upgrade to IPS v4 at some point, you might want to look at this article: https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/configuration-options/using-ssl-https-r273/ to know more about securing your IPS forum with a SSL certificate.

Edited by Kerimbjk