Your gaming confessions

.Ryan.

My best mate got a copy of the first Resident Evil game not long after it came out when we were both about 7 years old. This was back when parents didn't really check age ratings or really even care about the content in games so his mum was happy to leave us alone in his room to play it. Anyway, it's all well and good and we're getting into the game feeling like a pair of f*cking rebels for playing this 18 rated game... then comes the moment where you turn a corner to find the first zombie in the game chowing down on some poor fool. We froze. Then when the zombie turned his head to the camera we f*cking screamed and my mate scrambled to hit the power button on the PS1. We were never brave enough to play the game again. :lol:

- I started to play World of Warcraft because South Park's parody episode named "Make Love, Not Warcraft".

- When I reached level 70 (that was the level cap back then) I went to low level zones and killed lowbies for fun. I even made a campfire next to their corpse and sat down.

- I didn't feel bad for teabagging as a female blood elf. I rarely did it but still.

There used to be an Atari game called Micro Surgeon that scared the living crap out of me when I was a child. It scared me more than any horror movie.

When I played GTA3 back in the day, I was wondering how the peds' face look like. So I picked my sniper rifle and entered aim view to look at a passerby's face. I aimed at that female ped who wears a cap, tee, and shorts; all blue. And I found that her face was disgusting and as a kid, I was scarred for life.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I never really cared much for The Witcher 3. I admit one of the reasons I bought it was due to hype so I had to see what the fuss was about. I think I played maybe 3-4 hours before I put it down for good.

I mean it had stunning visuals and the scope of the map was impressive, but fantasy type games have to really suck me in to play them through.

• Like 1

To be honest I never really cared much for The Witcher 3. I admit one of the reasons I bought it was due to hype so I had to see what the fuss was about. I think I played maybe 3-4 hours before I put it down for good.

I mean it had stunning visuals and the scope of the map was impressive, but fantasy type games have to really suck me in to play them through.

One guy gives reputation based on what others said. It ends up being exaggerated.

Same thing to Dark Souls. Even though I like it so much, their reputation is very exaggerated.

This is why I choose my games and form the fair opinion on it myself instead of based on what other people said.

Leftist Bastard

One guy gives reputation based on what others said. It ends up being exaggerated.

Same thing to Dark Souls. Even though I like it so much, their reputation is very exaggerated.

This is why I choose my games and form the fair opinion on it myself instead of based on what other people said.

Dark Souls 1 is a bit overrated, Dark Souls 2 is underrated, 3's pretty fair and everyone loves Bloodborne.

chronic lumbago

Dark Souls 1 is a bit overrated, Dark Souls 2 is underrated, 3's pretty fair and everyone loves Bloodborne.I hate bloodborne. The weird art style, the mediocre graphics and the unnecessarily hard difficulty make it hard for me to enjoy it. I tried it when it was discounted and got quite far in the first level before giving up. The Soulsborne boner is something I won't understand.

Edit: the character creator looks deep at first but trying to do a female character looks like making a transgender person.

Edited by fashion

My female character looks fine.

And nah it isn't hard. It just brings you back to 8-bit platformer which only requires your patience and attention to study the pattern. When you got it, it'll be a cakewalk. That is why some people do a level 1 run because the game isn't only barred to stats.

That's the 'boner' is all about. Some of us do miss when a video game was actually something that challenges you and makes you figure things out yourself.

chronic lumbago

I'm always up for rather challenging titles like Shovel Knight, Witcher, Nier and playing ego shooters on the hardest difficulty. I just didn't like the challenge bloodborne is offering. I really don't have the patience to replay a large section or boss over 30 times this early in the game. I spend hours on the first main map until I finally managed to open that small gate but then died over and over again and didn't think it was enjoyable at all. I play games to relax after work and there are games out there that challenge you more fairly and you can actually progress without rage.

Of course I played games before that made me stuck, swear and die over and over again but it's nothing I want to experience throughout the whole game. My cup of tea is not as bitter as bloodborne :D

Yeah, I personally found it a little too...generic and game-y for my tastes.

Have to wonder how much the whole plucky indie dev thing has helped its reputation :p

gwZr6Zc.png

Leftist Bastard

Dark Souls 1 is a bit overrated, Dark Souls 2 is underrated, 3's pretty fair and everyone loves Bloodborne.
I hate bloodborne. The weird art style, the mediocre graphics and the unnecessarily hard difficulty make it hard for me to enjoy it. I tried it when it was discounted and got quite far in the first level before giving up. The Soulsborne boner is something I won't understand.

Edit: the character creator looks deep at first but trying to do a female character looks like making a transgender person.

It's not arbitrary difficulty. You're not being unfairly punished or pushed into a corner with no way out - these games are built on the cornerstone of fair difficulty.

My female character looks fine.

And nah it isn't hard. It just brings you back to 8-bit platformer which only requires your patience and attention to study the pattern. When you got it, it'll be a cakewalk. That is why some people do a level 1 run because the game isn't only barred to stats.

That's the 'boner' is all about. Some of us do miss when a video game was actually something that challenges you and makes you figure things out yourself.

The interesting thing about the Souls game is they're not ''old school''; they're not difficult because FromSoft woke up one day and decided ''hey let's make a hard game''. Their thematic design necessitates difficulty and challenge - it's wholly cutting edge rather than being a throwback.

Yeah, I personally found it a little too...generic and game-y for my tastes.

Have to wonder how much the whole plucky indie dev thing has helped its reputation :p

CDPR are not indie devs in any way, shape or form past the ultra technical. They can afford to pour 80 million dollars into a single game and that is not an indie budget.

With that said, The Witcher is anything but generic. Very unique take on high fantasy.

chronic lumbago

Indie developer or not, is was an excellent game for newcomers and Witcher fans alike. I was glad I played W2 first on the 360. Still, if you compare these two, the difference between those games is absolutely mindblowing in every way. The story, soundtrack, gameplay, amount of content and graphics are miles ahead of the previous game. The fact that this game is made by an (ex) indie developer puts major developers to shame (especially regarding DLC tactics). W2 was alright but didn't make me a crazy witcher fan or anything like that. W3 took full potential of the Witcher lore and makes it incredibly believable that you're stepping into the shoes of the Witcher Geralt. This game made me buy the Witcher audio books I listened to at my old job while working.

The lore is definetly not generic. It's incredible how the lore handles the "medieval adventure" cliches. Witcher and Elder Scrolls are my favorite medieval/magic type fantasy lores and Witcher is definetly the more mature and believable of these two.

No matter if it's made by CDPR or R* games. It's a great game and worth checking out.

Edited by fashion

When I started Fallout 4, my friend started Witcher 3. Sure, he told me this and that which sounded good.

Two years later, still not trying. lel. That's me.

• Like 1

The interesting thing about the Souls game is they're not ''old school''; they're not difficult because FromSoft woke up one day and decided ''hey let's make a hard game''. Their thematic design necessitates difficulty and challenge - it's wholly cutting edge rather than being a throwback.

It's not strictly about the feeling of 'throwback' or 'old school' of course.

I read several discussions over gamefaqs and youtube and some players think this (Soulsborne) series reminds them how old games were designed back in the day: puts you in the stage without objective, punishes you for not being careful, requires you to study pattern, and so on, which is rare these days and they liked such good old challenge, on top of FromSoft's remarkable level design, game balance, sound design, character design, and lore. This thought is exactly what I agreed with and realized as I played through Bloodborne as my first Soulsborne without knowing anything about it beforehand other than the victorian gothic theme and character creation feature it carries.

That said, of course and again, I don't feel nostalgic of playing Super Mario Bros when I play Soulsborne games nor do I take them as 'old school' games. I've never read anyone do either. It's just the game design reminds me (and some people I read) of that classic challenge that usually delivered in the old games.

Today is the first time I ever tried CoD online. I've played every single player campaign and never ever ever touched online until just a few minutes ago.

Edited by trip
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Theft Auto IV & Bully are my favourite games of all time.

The Warriors is my favourite movie video game.

Tom Clancy's Wildlands is the game I have most enjoyed this gen thus far.

I mostly really liked Mafia III

GTA 2 is the only PS1 game I still play to this day.

I tend to prefer Open world games.

Whilst I appreciate the writing & narratives in the Yakuza games, I find the gameplay gets tedious pretty quickly.

Sleeping Dogs was an awesome open world experience.

Red Dead Redemption 2 & Far Cry 5 are the only upcoming games I'm excited about.

Edited by SabreGT7

- I think Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) had a great soundtrack.

- Saints Row 1 is my least favorite game in the franchise. It feels like a ripoff of San Andreas. Just felt stale

- Speaking of Saints Row, I hate how SR2 still isn't backwards compatible with XB1, yet SR4 gets all this publicity like it's the best in the series. (Not saying I hate SR4 - in fact, I was more hyped about it than GTA V and I enjoyed it, but come on.)

- Midnight Cub LA (Complete Edition) is my favorite racing game of all time.

- My biggest regret in terms of gaming is buying GTA V on PC.

- Back when I got SA2 for the Gamecube, the farthest I ever got on the Hero story was Pumpkin Hill and Radical Highway for Dark.

- Sometimes I wonder if Rockstar and Volition devs play one another's games, which is why some vehicles in the GTA and Saints Row series share the same name.

Edited by JF Prodigy
  • Like 3

LongHairedFreakyGuy

Today is the first time I ever tried CoD online. I've played every single player campaign and never ever ever touched online until just a few minutes ago.

Intrigued to know which one it is.

MW2 and BO2 were my favourite and most played of the CoD games in respect to the MP mode. MW2 was an absolute blast until all the hacks became so rife within it.

KilnerLUFC.gif

I have always been a Sony person, but I purchased an XBOX 360 in 06 simply just so I could play Saints Row 1 & I'm glad I did, such a great game for its time IMO It really helped whilst I was waiting for IV, but then the daddy came out & I never really played it again.

I wish I still had a 360 so I could play it for nostalgia & to see if it's aged well.

KratosDrake

Just had my first experience with Earthbound, played up to the time where Buzz-Buzz sccidentally is killed. Beautiful (and weird) game. I can see why it is liked (still weird). But yeah, weird as hell. Next, I will download Star Fox for my emulator.

• 2 weeks later...
Femme Fatale

Whenever 007 gets shot on Goldeneye, it sounds more like a woman taking a deep breath rather than a dude in pain, to me. Also, back when I was a kid, I thought the enemies in the Surface levels were aliens. Just look at their appearance.

Surface2icon.png

Edited by Femme Fatale
  • Like 1

During PS2 era, I thought the concept of having a game title showing up next to my name would be an awesome feature.

Now I really appreciate the feature to "Appear Offline" on both Steam and, especially, PS4. I feel that game time is personal time, so that means other people don't need to know what game I'm playing, where I am in the game at the moment, what is happening in my game, which mode I'm in at the moment, and PS4 just really like to share these in detail by default when the game supports.

• Like 2

LongHairedFreakyGuy

Super Mario Sunshine may be widely considered as among the lesser of the platforming giant's titles, but it is, as far as I'm concerned, the most thematically realized installment in the series (being that Mario is a plumber, and he's actually cleaning up sludge with a water pressure device). For this reason, it has the most respect from me as a 3D Mario game.

Personally never understood any hate towards Sunshine - I still own it and consider it a great game for it's time, hell, even to this day it still holds up well.

KilnerLUFC.gif

The N. Bellic Man

^ Oh man, Oblivion. I've tried with that game, I really have. But it's just bored me to tears every single time. I even tried it again after getting into Fallout 3/New Vegas, and yet again after Skyrim. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just didn't grab me the same way the others I mentioned did. I might try it yet again some day on PC with mods, but I'm not really in a rush.

Same here. I really can't put my finger on it but there is something that always makes me stop playing Oblivion. I love FO3, NV and Skyrim, but there is something that these games have that Oblivion doesn't. On my first try I was able to put 70 hours in, but somehow I didn't even come close to finishing it. Most recently I tried it on XBOX One, but it felt even harder to get into it. At this point I'm willing to accept that I might never be able to complete that game.

This started to bother me so much that I started a new game. After 100+ hours it's finally looking like I'm going to finish this game after all. Sure, graphics look bad compared to Skyrim, but after getting good at using spells and fighting tactics I'm actually enjoying this game. It's really refreshing to be able to enjoy a game that I have bought almost 10 years ago. I feel like I achieved something when I was able to conquer this beast after I almost gave up. :D

I have always been a Sony person, but I purchased an XBOX 360 in 06 simply just so I could play Saints Row 1 & I'm glad I did, such a great game for its time IMO It really helped whilst I was waiting for IV, but then the daddy came out & I never really played it again.

I wish I still had a 360 so I could play it for nostalgia & to see if it's aged well.

I always considered myself a Sony fan growing up, but I did get my first Xbox in 2003. It wasn't until getting a 360 along side my PS3 I just gave up on the whole "console wars" thing.

That's why I currently have a PS4 and XB1. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Though the Sony exclusives have always been more appealing to me.

Original Light

I've never finished Fallout New Vegas.

I love the game, but I just haven't had a chance to finish it yet. In my current play-through, I'm about 50% done.

• Like 3

I've never finished Fallout New Vegas.

I love the game, but I just haven't had a chance to finish it yet. In my current play-through, I'm about 50% done.

Haha, likewise. I've put about 80 hours into a New Vegas playthrough and it glitched out (couldn't leave or enter New Vegas without it crashing) but I booted up another playthrough and never finished it... but I've beat the sh*t out of 3 and 4, I feel like an asshole.

• Like 2
WUDSnYa.png

• 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.