Your gaming confessions

Harwood Butch3r

Harwood Butch3r

Pretty much every game I play (with the exception of sports/racing games) I start on the easiest difficulty and if I decide to play through it again that’s when I up the difficulty.

I  don’t know, but that’s just the way I like to play games now. I also find it’s a great way to learn a game’s mechanics.

I used to be a little embarrassed by it, but I don’t really think about it much anymore.

Edited by Harwood Butch3r
  • Like 1

Yea I'm no difficulty hero my self, I typically stick to whatever normal is unless I'm finding it particularly easy then I'll bump it up.

I don't really like getting stuck on any particular bit of content for too long, retreading the same steps, etc. These days, and I mainly only play RPG's when it comes to single player games, I just wanna enjoy the story and explore the world.

• Like 1
  • Best Bru 1

• 2 weeks later...
propanecocaine71

Multiplayer is fine every now and then, but I'll take a good single player game over Multiplayer any day of the week. Idk I just never really cared for Multiplayer with the exception of gta online. Now max payne 3 Multiplayer, THAT was the most fun Multiplayer I've ever played and I wish the servers were still online. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I feel the same when it comes to multiplayer games, especially now that I've grown older. Back then, I'd be competitive in a handful of games or rather FPS games, but now I would much prefer to sit down and enjoy a story-driven game to chill with. I guess I've just lost interest or really can't keep up with all these other gamers nowadays lol.

• Like 1

In the late 2000's to the early 2010's I was mainly always looking for MP stuff - playing PvP shooters and always trying and playing new MMORPG's, which were always my favourite games back then.

But these days online games of all types are a time sink first and an experience second. A modern MMO has long been all about giving you a million things to do so it's a constant treadmill that if you hop of you'll be behind or miss out on stuff when you return, and modern online games (shooters in particular) are now this too. Seasons, battle passes, limited time events and rewards, no longer is the experience of the game the real hook but instead it's all FOMO mechanics and systems. As a result while I still enjoy playing online games w/ mates I've completely removed my self from caring about skins, cosmetics, levels, ranks, etc etc, cause otherwise you just end up playing something you don't really enjoy that much, or doing stuff you don't enjoy doing in a game, just to make sure you don't miss out on anything.

So these days I'm in the same boat as you two, I now strongly prefer single player games, especially RPG's, with the games I now look forward to all being RPG's of some sort, with very few exceptions.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, propanecocaine71 said:

Multiplayer is fine every now and then, but I'll take a good single player game over Multiplayer any day of the week. Idk I just never really cared for Multiplayer with the exception of gta online. Now max payne 3 Multiplayer, THAT was the most fun Multiplayer I've ever played and I wish the servers were still online. 

Multiplayer is still up on PC afaik.

• Like 1

Ballbreaker_

I'm not into multiplayer games at all. Any of them.

Harwood Butch3r
On 1/2/2024 at 10:15 AM, propanecocaine71 said:

I definitely prefer single player games. The only only multiplayer I can get into is if it’s a secondary mode like you mentioned.

GT7’s sport mode is something I’ve sunk a lot of time into though. Something like over 350 races I think.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Warhawk8492

Today I spend more time modding then playing games.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 12/21/2023 at 10:34 AM, Harwood Butch3r said:

Pretty much every game I play (with the exception of sports/racing games) I start on the easiest difficulty and if I decide to play through it again that’s when I up the difficulty.

I  don’t know, but that’s just the way I like to play games now. I also find it’s a great way to learn a game’s mechanics.

I used to be a little embarrassed by it, but I don’t really think about it much anymore.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I played a game that wasn't above the normal difficulty, and nowadays with the added option in select games, I always opt for the story option. I have enough stress and whatnot in life as it is, so gaming is my enjoyment and escape from this. I've found that my enjoyment has risen since always selecting the easiest mode, and I genuinely couldn't care what anyone thinks. A lot of the time, depending obviously on the game, it doesn't require extra skill in the higher difficulties, just instead makes the enemies require more hits to kill them. Yes, it adds the tactical ammo reservation skill I suppose, but I'm playing the game for the story more over than having an enemy require double the hits to kill, for example. 

Gaming is meant for personal enjoyment. 

• Like 1

There was (still is, to some degree I think) a push for difficulty in games that was approached in a kind of bizarre way tbh. It was obviously influenced by From and the Souls games, which are hugely influential, but it wasn't until Elden Ring when their games had mind blowing success on a level that would justify that push.

I think part of it was honestly that developers got hooked on the idea of making a difficult game from a creative PoV. I remember the God of War reboot devs talking about how the highest difficulty was the intended one and I was like... uh what?

It just seemed like there was a big push towards this stuff but the actual market, the majority of the players, weren't asking for it. Most of these games offered difficulty modes so it was no big deal but yea, that was an odd few years.

• Like 1

LongHairedFreakyGuy

I wish I had the patience for these games though to be honest. I actually bought Elden Ring because of the hype, but haven't touched it since the day I tried it due to my first boss encounter. Annoys me because the game looks like something I'd enjoy if it had a difficulty option. Same goes for Sekiro, since one of my favourite games of recent years is Ghost Of Tsushima. But I get it, these games would be completely different with the difficulty option, so I'm happy to bypass them, to an extent. 

Agent Edward

This video used to make me absolutely terrified when I was 10 years old back in 2010 and it still gives me the creeps nowadays, it's one of the reasons why I think that GTA San Andreas is one of the creepiest games ever made, oddly enough neither GTA3 nor GTA Vice City gives me these creepy vibes at all.

Edited by Agent Edward
  • Like 1

Harwood Butch3r

With the recent news that Sony won’t be releasing anymore games from their major existing franchises until next year I have seen a lot of people freaking out online about it and I’m not sure why.

If anything I see it as a good thing. Yes Spider-Man, God Of War etc are great, but I also think it opens up opportunities for something new rather than just relying on sequels from established IPs which even as someone who’s a huge PlayStation fan I do admit there’s probably been a bit too much of that this gen. Some smaller first party titles are needed to bridge the gap between those big blockbuster hits IMO.

Apparently there might be a new Astro game for sometime later in the year. The only thing I hope is it’s not just a VR game. It would sell better if it’s more like Astro’s Playroom as VR is still very niche.

I’m also still hopeful for Concord too.

Edited by Harwood Butch3r
  • Like 2

LongHairedFreakyGuy
12 hours ago, Harwood Butch3r said:

With the recent news that Sony won’t be releasing anymore games from their major existing franchises until next year I have seen a lot of people freaking out online about it and I’m not sure why.

If anything I see it as a good thing. Yes Spider-Man, God Of War etc are great, but I also think it opens up opportunities for something new rather than just relying on sequels from established IPs which even as someone who’s a huge PlayStation fan I do admit there’s probably been a bit too much of that this gen. Some smaller first party titles are needed to bridge the gap between those big blockbuster hits IMO.

I don't get why this news has got anyone worried whatsoever. In the past year or 2 (3 at most) we've had big releases from all the major IP's, have we not? One of the joys of only having limited gaming time is that I'm still enjoying my first playthroughs of all these games, with Rift Apart and Spider Man (all 3) been the only ones I've fully finished up. All these titles have been phenomenal in my opinion (Horizon, GoW, Spider Man, Last Of Us, Gran Turismo, GoT etc), and I'm more than happy to wait a year or 2 to see another game in one of these series. 

We've been spoilt with great games lately, and there's still a lot on the horizon. I have zero complaints with seeing all these new IP's steal the show, or maybe some surprise remake/reboot.

• Best Bru 1

• 2 months later...
Pedinhuh
Posted (edited)

Honestly, this last gen(PS4) was one of the most boring of generations of consoles I have ever had the displeasure of going through...The games simply got too expensive to me and all of them failed to entertain me and to get my money's worth out of them.

This is a bit of a long write up, so I'll put it on a spoiler tag:

Spoiler

The last game I bought was The Crew Motorfest, played it for a few months and in those months it was fun, but ultimately it's really boring, I tried really hard to enjoy buy I just couldn't thanks to the sheer lack of content and waste of the map. It's an Ubisoft product and it shows.

But before that, I skipped on several games on the PS4 because the prices for them are simply too high and I can't justify the expense, most of the newer games around here costs about $50 which, in my currency and living standards, is just too much and I'd rather save the money to work on my own personal life goals.

As such, I haven't bought Wreckfest, TLoU2, TLoU1 remastered, Horizon West, Nier Automata, Spiderman, Death Stranding, RE2, RE3 and RE4 remakes, God of War Ragnarok and some other major released that I can't remember now...And I probably won't until they get less expensive.

If it wasn't for PS+ I would have never bothered to play Days Gone, that was a gem.

I did bought and played Arkham Knight, DBFZ, God of War(2018) and RDR2.

Days Gone was a really good surprise to me, played it a lot until I beat the story and then killed all the hordes, but I could see how some chunks of the game were undercooked, it did not deserved the bad fate it had but given it's rough shape at launch, I see why that happened.

GoW ultimately has little to offer after beating the main game and the valkyres so I didn't bothered to do a 100% playthrough of it nor a new game+. Great story, good graphics, meh gameplay...

Arkham Knight I tried to play and enjoy it, I do appreciate how beautiful and deep the game is and is rich with details, but the game simply couldn't hold my interest for long.

DragonBall FighterZ was the first FGC game I have played in over a decade(last one was SF3 3rd strike, over 15 years ago), but i had many issues to getting used to the optimal combos, and I honestly I sucked at playing it online, so now it just collects dusts on my SSD.

RDR2 was heartbreaking...It was one of the best stories I have ever experienced, amazing graphics, a beautiful world rich with way too many details...But I legit couldn't help myself getting bored with the game, I did two plauthroughs with it, both of which I didn't do 100% because no way I'm going through all of that.

Oh, there's also Gran Turismo 7...That game was another massive disappointment coming after GT Sport, so I won't even talk about it.

I also bought NFS Heat...Refunded it within 15 minutes of gameplay because of the awful button mapping and terrible driving physics. I couldn't be arsed to look at he other recent NFS games because none of them entices me.

I would have bought Cyberpunk but the lack of third person killed it for me, I get motion sickness from extend gameplay on first person, and even then there's the awful state of the game on the PS4 which is really unplayable.

The Yakuza series had me hooked, played Kiwami and 0, but once I saw that Kiwami 2 and the rest of the games was too different from those two and didn't had the different fighting styles, I lost interest.

All I'm playing right now is GTA Online until the PS5 Pro releases and if I see that GTA VI is worth the upgrade(frankly, I do not see any reason to buy a PS5 besides GTA VI and if I'm going to spend that much on a console, might as well get the top of the line console

And this has been roughly the sum of the my experience with the PS4 gen, starting back in 2016...ONLY 12 games played in total.

I know it's just too little and that the PS4 has more to offer, but looking back, it legit feels to me that it was a waste, I dumped a lot of money to get my console back then and then the games, and yet, I'm still coming back and playing the same f*cking PS3 game from 2013, only with touched up graphics and much expanded gameplay because no other games comes EVEN CLOSE to offer what GTA offers to me...It's wild to think about it.

And I don't even know if I should bother to get the games I skipped, because I fear that I'll lose interest on them as well.

If GTA VI sucks then I'll probably quit gaming for an unknown amount of time, because I'm certainly not buying a new console, which will inevitably be too expensive to me, for it to only be a disappointment, and so far I don't see any games that holds my interest on current gen.

For the record, I never sold any of my old consoles and games, I always donated them to friends or relatives after moving on to the newer console, but considering how much expensive the current gen consoles are, donating it would be out of question...but then I would just box it and store it away, another waste.

PS2 still feels like the best console ever to me, followed consoles behind by the PS1.

f*ck...Maybe I'm getting old and losing interest in gaming as a whole?

Edited by Pedinhuh
  • Like 1

LongHairedFreakyGuy

See, for me it was the complete opposite. I was majorly in to the 360 (currently my 2nd biggest collection), but then I bought the XOne and it pretty much killed my passion for gaming. Got given a PS4 by a friend and it rekindled the passion again. I found myself actually wanting to play games, and play them from start to finish before starting a new game (major thing for me as I have a tendency to put games down halfway through). As much as everyone likes to sh*t on the current state of gaming (myself included), I also think that there's a lot of amazing games out there for fans of every genre. 

I was lucky enough to be in a position where I could buy any game I want at any point too, so maybe that helped in the sense that I always had something new to play if a game didn't click with me. 

I also have around 10 consoles hooked up to my TV, and other means to play other consoles, and I think this helps keep the passion going. I'll fire up my PS2 one night, then the Switch another night. 

To me, it sounds like you have burnout, and need to just put gaming down for a while.

• Best Bru 2

el carlitos
On 5/11/2024 at 4:02 AM, Pedinhuh said:

f*ck...Maybe I'm getting old and losing interest in gaming as a whole?

Probably...happens to me, too. Games that still felt amazing, now cheap and I recommend you are Uncharted 4 and Ghost of Tshushima, both running great on PS4.

• 2 weeks later...
PointlessRedemption

Confession: I refunded Half Life and played Half Life Source instead.

Blue carpet

I'm losing all faith in the gaming industry and barely care anymore all I want in the future of gaming is a VR headset that's indistinguishable from real life.

• excuseme 1