Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!   (92,919 visits to this link)

2. News

1. GTA Online

1. Find Lobbies & Players
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Vehicles
      4. Content Creator
      5. Help & Support
    2. Crews

1. Events
      2. Recruitment
    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

2. GTA Next

3. GTA V

1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    5. GTA Chinatown Wars

6. GTA Vice City Stories

7. GTA Liberty City Stories

8. GTA San Andreas

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    9. GTA Vice City

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA III

1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. Top Down Games

1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    12. Wiki

1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Rockstar Games

1. Off-Topic

1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Forum Support

2. Site Suggestions

Goldenhawk521

GTA IV Be Released to Mobile in 2018/2019?

Wolver_321

Honestly, in my opinion, this is what it will look like if GTA IV even TRIED to run on smartphones...

"Live the dream, like my cousin!"

At least the audio is good :lol:

TEMPL4R

I doubt it will be a mobile version, the game is too big for it (15 GB) which it will take much work to decrease the environment's quality.

Aaaaaand of course GTA IV run sh*t in High-End PC already.

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)

Excuse me if i'm going off topic here, but if anything, they should release VCS for mobile. That looks like a game that could actually run on smartphones.

Edited by Penguin Bob

Masny
Posted (edited)

I doubt it will be a mobile version, the game is too big for it (15 GB) which it will take much work to decrease the environment's quality.

This game is 10 years old.

It was 10 years. During this time, new ways to compress textures have been "invented".
If anybody have problem with imagning how big technological leap is 10 years - here are two screenshots (~1997 vs ~2007)
Glasses is not requried
0GfLdg4.jpg
ugEyREF.jpg
Weight of aplication files isn't a problem anymore.
Hell, there even can be option like "sound patch" that will contain radio stations we can download and place it on external SD card for smarphones that have small internat memory. Even streaming radio station from internet isn't something that Rockstar can't do.
I think flagships smartphones from even 2016 would run this game smoothly IF they would make a effort to optimize code.
Problem is that there is too many phones with mid range spec that would not run this game smoothly, so making this game right now will not make much of a profit for R*

(...) Smartphones can't handle the RAGE engine. (...)

Actually... first PSP could handle RAGE (VCS and LCS) and it was relased in... 2004? :D But yes, I do know that RAGE from 04' is totally different from 08'
Edited by Masny

AlexanderPierce

It was 10 years. During this time, new ways to compress textures have been "invented".
If anybody have problem with imagning how big technological leap is 10 years - here are two screenshots (~1997 vs ~2007)
Glasses is not requried
0GfLdg4.jpg
ugEyREF.jpg
Hell, there even can be option like "sound patch" that will contain radio stations we can download and place it on external SD card for smarphones that have small internat memory. Even streaming radio station from internet isn't something that Rockstar can't do.
I think flagships smartphones from even 2016 would run this game smoothly IF they would make a effort to optimize code.
Problem is that there is too many phones with mid range spec that would not run this game smoothly, so making this game right now will not make much of a profit for R*

Actually... first PSP could handle RAGE (VCS and LCS) and it was relased in... 2004? :D But yes, I do know that RAGE from 04' is totally different from 08'

Actually VCS and LCS weren't developed with RAGE. No Rage game was ever released on mobile consoles.

Masny

It wasn't RENDERWARE either:

As stated in an IGN preview, "Rockstar dropped Renderware in favor of a brand new in-house engine to best utilize the resolution, texture density and particle effects of the PSP". Until the release of Liberty City Stories, RenderWare had been the game engine behind every 3D game in the Grand Theft Auto III era.

Another quote

Just to clear this up , it's actually RAGE it uses, but a toned down version of it, as it is Rockstar Own Engine. LCS was based on the Vice incarnation of the Renderware Engine and was near enough "Emulated" the whole thing with a few things added here and there and some stuff tweaked. VCS is an evolved version of that, but not as evolved as the San Andreas incarnation of Renderware. The VCS engine is just a vastly upgraded LCS engine with some stuff copied from the San Andreas Engine.

R4gN0r0K

They ported PUBG and Fortnite to mobile, even with crossplay support, so having a 10 year old game on phones with 8GB RAM and Octa Cores doesn't seem that impossible, IF THEY WOULD PORT IT RIGHT

TEMPL4R

Anything is possible with today technologies. But I don't thinks so that R* will put enough efforts and resources to optimise and port a 10 years old game to a mobile version, heck there's no optimise or fixes for PC yet.

AlexanderPierce
Posted (edited)

They ported PUBG and Fortnite to mobile, even with crossplay support, so having a 10 year old game on phones with 8GB RAM and Octa Cores doesn't seem that impossible, IF THEY WOULD PORT IT RIGHT

>PUBG and Fortnite

LMAO. The fact that they're both trash is a topic for another time. But you must know that they're both developed with Unreal Engine.

Anything is possible with today technologies. But I don't thinks so that R* will put enough efforts and resources to optimise and port a 10 years old game to a mobile version, heck there's no optimise or fixes for PC yet.

That 10 years old game couldn't run at native 720p on PS3. It's impossible to port it to mobile unless you want R* to remove half the game and downgrade the sh*t out of it.

Edited by AlexanderPierce

Masny
Posted (edited)

That 10 years old game couldn't run at native 720p on PS3. It's impossible to port it to mobile unless you want R* to remove half the game and downgrade the sh*t out of it.

Reason of that is nature of PS3 hardware. Its VERY different that almost every other electronic device that people use to play games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW. Mobile Tegra K1 relased on 2014 have a performance of PS3 and X360. Newest Tegra is Xavier and.... and is VERY powerfull.

The most recent Tegra SoC, named Xavier after the comic book character Professor X, was announced on 28 September 2016. Its release date might be in the first quarter of 2018.[119] It is to contain 7 billion transistors and 8 custom ARMv8 cores, a Volta GPU with 512 CUDA cores, an open sourced TPU (Tensor Processing Unit) called DLA (Deep Learning Accelerator)[120][121] and is to be made on TSMC 16 nm FinFET+ process. It is able to encode and decode 8K Ultra HD (7680×4320). Nvidia aims for a 20–30 watt TDP and the die size is estimated to be about 300 mm2.[122][123][124] Nvidia confirmed the fabrication process to be 12nm FinFET at CES 2018.[125]
CPU: Nvidia custom Carmel ARMv8 (64-bit), 8 cores 10 wide superscalar[126]
GPU: Volta-based, 512 CUDA cores with 1.3 TFLOPS[127]
TSMC 12 nm FinFET process[125]
20 TOPS DL and 160 SPECint @ 20 W;[122] 30 TOPS DL @ 30 W[124] (TOPS DL = Deep Learning Tera-Ops)
20 TOPS DL via the GPU based tensor cores
10 TOPS DL (INT8) via the DLA unit that shall achieve 5 TFLOPS (FP16)[128]
1.6 TOPS in the PVA unit (Programmable Vision Accelerator[129], for StereoDisparity/OpticalFlow/ImageProcessing)
1.5 GPix/s in the ISP unit (Image Signal Processor, with native full-range HDR and tile processing support)
Video Processor for 1.2 GPix/s encoding and 1.8 GPix/s decode[130] including 8k video support[131]
Edited by Masny

AlexanderPierce
Posted (edited)

Reason of that is nature of PS3 hardware. Its VERY different that almost every other electronic device that people use to play games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW. Mobile Tegra K1 relased on 2014 have a performance of PS3 and X360. Newest Tegra is Xavier and.... and is VERY powerfull.

The most recent Tegra SoC, named Xavier after the comic book character Professor X, was announced on 28 September 2016. Its release date might be in the first quarter of 2018.[119] It is to contain 7 billion transistors and 8 custom ARMv8 cores, a Volta GPU with 512 CUDA cores, an open sourced TPU (Tensor Processing Unit) called DLA (Deep Learning Accelerator)[120][121] and is to be made on TSMC 16 nm FinFET+ process. It is able to encode and decode 8K Ultra HD (7680×4320). Nvidia aims for a 20–30 watt TDP and the die size is estimated to be about 300 mm2.[122][123][124] Nvidia confirmed the fabrication process to be 12nm FinFET at CES 2018.[125]
CPU: Nvidia custom Carmel ARMv8 (64-bit), 8 cores 10 wide superscalar[126]
GPU: Volta-based, 512 CUDA cores with 1.3 TFLOPS[127]
TSMC 12 nm FinFET process[125]
20 TOPS DL and 160 SPECint @ 20 W;[122] 30 TOPS DL @ 30 W[124] (TOPS DL = Deep Learning Tera-Ops)
20 TOPS DL via the GPU based tensor cores
10 TOPS DL (INT8) via the DLA unit that shall achieve 5 TFLOPS (FP16)[128]
1.6 TOPS in the PVA unit (Programmable Vision Accelerator[129], for StereoDisparity/OpticalFlow/ImageProcessing)
1.5 GPix/s in the ISP unit (Image Signal Processor, with native full-range HDR and tile processing support)
Video Processor for 1.2 GPix/s encoding and 1.8 GPix/s decode[130] including 8k video support[131]

Here again I say it, not everyone owns a Tegra phone.

Jack Lupino

Xiaomi will launch a gaming smartphone soon with 8/128 gb memory octacore cpu with snapdragon 845.

It is coming at mid range price.

Maybe just maybe it could handle gta 4 reduced graphics

R4gN0r0K

>PUBG and Fortnite

LMAO. The fact that they're both trash is a topic for another time. But you must know that they're both developed with Unreal Engine.

i did not play any of these, but that those games run is a sign enough that phones can handle some games.

Also R* had major troubles with the PS3 since it was a brand new console. just like GTA 3, VC, SA and the stories titles got better with each title when R* learned the console.

Jdogg4089
Posted (edited)

Glasses is not requried

0GfLdg4.jpg

ugEyREF.jpg

Edited by Jdogg4089

Masny

Yes, but snapragons aren't worse. Even more - newest snapdragon 835 is much much more powerfull than Tegras (exluding 4)

Jdogg4089

Yes, but snapragons aren't worse. Even more - newest snapdragon 835 is much much more powerfull than Tegras (exluding 4)

Forget the 835. The 845 is better and can do 4k60 hevc 10bit video. the 835 can do 4k 10bit as good. Plus you could use the newer 845 better for Wii u games.

Penguin Bob
Posted (edited)

Glasses is not requried
0GfLdg4.jpg
ugEyREF.jpg

True, but PSP'S are different. Compare a little phone with no actual gaming buttons nor a graphics card, to a handheld gaming system that could run almost every game. I agree with your statement though. EDIT: Sorry, wrong quote.

Edited by Penguin Bob

StormerBoy

Clearly not getting a remaster in April. Considering rdr coming in October, bigger gta online dlcs coming in months after this one, if they were going to have done it, it would have been this month.

RaMMy

Clearly not getting a remaster in April. Considering rdr coming in October, bigger gta online dlcs coming in months after this one, if they were going to have done it, it would have been this month.

It can still happen tho, we are talking about R*, they do s**it happen so, who knows :sarcasm:

TWIST_OF_HATE

No GTA IV mobile.

Just trust me ))

Jdogg4089

What do you mean "bigger GTA online updates"? Bigger than what? That dumb doom watever dlc bs?

NeonDolphin

1998-2008 leap was far bigger than 2008-2018. 1998 games looked very dated in 2008 but 2008 games still look nice in 2018.

StormerBoy

What do you mean "bigger GTA online updates"? Bigger than what? That dumb doom watever dlc bs? I mean the current update is a small one, they aren't going to do it alongside a bigger update, be it gunrunning, sr or dd.

AlexanderPierce

>PUBG and Fortnite

i did not play any of these, but that those games run is a sign enough that phones can handle some games.

Also R* had major troubles with the PS3 since it was a brand new console. just like GTA 3, VC, SA and the stories titles got better with each title when R* learned the console.

Yes exactly why GTA IV's physics were too powerful for last-gen to handle properly, thus R* had to downgrade them for V. Again those titles you mentioned were neither made in Rage engine nor made natively for last-gen.

AlexanderPierce
Posted (edited)

1998-2008 leap was far bigger than 2008-2018. 1998 games looked very dated in 2008 but 2008 games still look nice in 2018.

Exactly just look at how GTA IV is compared to GTA SA. And look how GTA V is compared to GTA IV, depends on peoples opinions but GTA V many times looks like a downgrade from GTA IV, specially in terms of physics and gameplay but that's not our topic right now. I just to point out to how far bigger is the 2005-2008 leap than 2008-2010s.

Masny
Posted (edited)

Yes exactly why GTA IV's physics were too powerful for last-gen to handle properly, thus R* had to downgrade them for V. Again those titles you mentioned were neither made in Rage engine nor made natively for last-gen.

Not really.

Truth is that GTA V have more complicated physics than IV.

I'm talking sh*t, huh? I will explain.

On screen indeed GTAV's physics look like from Miami Vice on C64. BUT behind the screen - here is when magic happens. Actually - GTA V processing much more physics related stuff than IV. eg. Handling file for cars contain about 20% MORE data for single car than IV. But it isn't just one thing. Here is many, many more things like that.

But hell, even without looking into game files we can see that psychics are improved.

* Foliage reacts to other things

* Much more realistic glass breaking system

* Wind system is more advanced in GTA V. There are interactive flags, flapping adverts and many more. Where IV can't do that.

* Take a look at GTA IV car mass physics. IF you take a big rig (that surly weight about 5 tons?) and run over another car (by ONLY using your wheels, without bumping into each other chassis/body). The car underneath will be 100% alright, because IV's physics doesn't allow to transport mass of the car further than on it's wheels. That is accidentally causing a bug there car parked on a top of eg packer - slides down.

In GTA V that thing is fixed.

* When standing still people have some weight in V. In IV their mass is equal to zero I think.

There is really much more stuff like that. Physics itself its not a problem. Problem is many, many helping / making game easy scripts that working at a background, that makes this game look dumb and act stupid. Thats why have levitating pedalbikes. cars teleporting into street curbs and many more.

Personally, for me It looks like people in Rockstar were making the game physics as realistic as can be, but then, the great boss came and said that = "this is too hard, make it easier". And they had to. But, instead of starting from scratch, they took what they had already and put some values on "neutral" to make things easier to end user.

So, the final result is:

* Cars drives like a sh*t

* Game physics looks dumb at many occasions

* Bikes can fly

* NPC dies after getting shot on ankle

* NPC body are weirdly stiff....

Conclusion - even that IV physics are worse in technological's aspects - I would choose it, because its giving me more fun.

Edited by Masny

Masny
Posted (edited)

Exactly just look at how GTA IV is compared to GTA SA. And look how GTA V is compared to GTA IV, depends on peoples opinions but GTA V many times looks like a downgrade from GTA IV, specially in terms of physics and gameplay but that's not our topic right now. I just to point out to how far bigger is the 2005-2008 leap than 2008-2010s.

Yes, there is bigger difference on old games but the difference is still here.

Go and play Uncharted 4 from 2016 and then go back to Uncharted 2 from 2009. Your's mind will blown how U2 aged. In compare to U4 it really looks very cheap, flat and plastic. You can really tell there is 7 years gap. And you have to know that Uncharted 2 at it time was an absolute graphic killer; same as Uncharted 4 now!

Edited by Masny

leqz97

That's the reason why the PC port was so sh*t to begin with. GTA IV was optimized for consoles first and when the times come to port to PC which x86 being a whole different architecture, things don't go so well. On the other hand, the reason why GTA V PC port was much better is due to fact that both the PS4 and Xbox One use the same architecture as PC so porting wouldn't be so much as a hassle. To port GTA IV to mobile, Rockstar have to adapt the RAGE engine to another architecture,ARM and with RDR 2 on the horizon I don't think it's on top of their priority list.

baymizin
GTA IV can be ported to iOS/android devices for sure :panic: :panic: ....its only the effort of developers what counts bcos the Android devices comes with upgraded hardware like every three months and you know the devices like Samsung s8 or one plus 3T are already released and more are coming next year with monster hardware specs and they will make huge market by 2018 and the iPhone 7 is also awesome( linconclay get the new iPhone 7) :whistle: :whistle:

Ryder217

Mobile hardware is powerful enough to run this game. If rockstar actually optimize the game for mobile then it would definitely run well. I mean there are some demanding games on mobile. and gta iv is 10 years old now, so they have to release a gta iv 10 year anniversary because it is the HD universe.